• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Chamomile (Apigenin) concerns because of its long half life (91.8) hours.

chamomile apigenin half-life sleep anxiety anxiolitic sedative sedation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vaarmen

• 22 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:42 PM

The half-life of apigenin - the main active ingredient of chamomile is said to be 91.8 hours. I think this may be the rat half life, but half-life in humans is usually longer than rat half life, so I will assume at least 91.8 hours for humans.

This raises a few concerns.

1) Math shows that becaus of the long half-life a 130 fold concentration of the daily dose can be accumulated in the blood if used daily.

2) It does not make sense to use it for sleep because it will have the same effects the next day.

3) It can be very hard to control blood levels and if undesired effects are present weeks may be needed to clear up the stuff from the body.

Any comments ?

Anyone has used Chamomile daily for prolonged times ?

#2 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:31 PM

An old post, but it might lead people astray. The half life in humans is definitely shorter than in rats--12 hours in humans vs 92 hours in rats. 

Apigenin appears to be absorbable by humans after intake of parsley (Petroselinum crispum). In a randomized crossover study with two one-week intervention periods in succession, fourteen volunteers consumed a diet that included 20 g parsley. The urinary excretion of apigenin was significantly higher (P < 0.05) during the intervention with parsley (20.7 to 5727.3 g/24 hr) than during the basic diet (0 to 1571.7 g/24 hr). The half-life for apigenin was calculated to be on the order of 12 hr. Significant individual variation in the bioavailability and excretion of apigenin was observed ... https://toxnet.nlm.n...erm @DOCNO 7573

And even if it were 92 hours, there would be no 130 fold concentration. It would be more like 2.8 fold.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 18 January 2017 - 10:10 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#3 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:26 PM

And even if it were 92 hours, there would be no 130 fold concentration. It would be more like 2.8 fold.

I was a bit off with that. Actually, the blood level reaches an ultimate 5 fold level before the daily dose, and a 6 fold level after the daily dose. That's with rats and a 91.8 hour half life. With humans, the ultimate levels are .34 fold before the daily dose, and 1.34 afterward.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 18 January 2017 - 11:28 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Informative x 1

#4 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:44 AM

Does anyone have any idea of what type of apigenin chamomile contains and how many mg per average cup of chamomile tea? I doubt it even has a milligram worth, considering most extracts from chamomile are 1.5mg. The recommended dosage is 10mg. Chamomile and apigenin info out there is limited and confusing in general and this just leads to more questions than answers.

Also, my experience of apigenin doesn't seem to lend much credibility to the 91 hour half life. There are conflicting reports of what the half life actually is. It's 12 hrs in some studies and 91 in others. It could be that there is truth to the post above regarding humans vs rats.

Edited by Nate-2004, 30 January 2017 - 04:48 AM.

#5 Synaptik

• 80 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:12 PM

Does anyone have any idea of what type of apigenin chamomile contains and how many mg per average cup of chamomile tea? I doubt it even has a milligram worth, considering most extracts from chamomile are 1.5mg. The recommended dosage is 10mg. Chamomile and apigenin info out there is limited and confusing in general and this just leads to more questions than answers.

Also, my experience of apigenin doesn't seem to lend much credibility to the 91 hour half life. There are conflicting reports of what the half life actually is. It's 12 hrs in some studies and 91 in others. It could be that there is truth to the post above regarding humans vs rats.

I hope someone can provide an answer as well. The more I read about apigenin, the more I'm intrigued - especially for the mTor and CD38 inhibition. Seems like this is a very good life extension flavenoid, as well as anti-cancer. Should go hand-in-hand with NR/NA NAD+ boosting supplements, since the CD38 inhibition should limit NAD+ degredation in the mitochondria.

I currently only drink 2 cups of long-steeped green + chamomile tea per day (they make a great tasting combination BTW), but I'm considering using more chamomile. 

I don't have access to rapamycin, but I'm hoping a cocktail of daily ginkgo (quercitin), EGCG, apeginin, caffeine and curcumin provide a decent mTor cocktail. I just discovered the CD38 inhibition from apeginin as a HUGE bonus.

Anyhow, anybody know how many chamoline tea bags would it take to get 5mg+ of apeginin?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#6 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:05 PM

Anyhow, anybody know how many chamoline tea bags would it take to get 5mg+ of apeginin?

You can get a lot more from a capsule--Swanson Apigenin 50 mg 90 Caps

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chamomile, apigenin, half-life, sleep, anxiety, anxiolitic, sedative, sedation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users