Fatty Acid Mobilization/Oxidation Hierarchy

fatty acid mobilization oxidation lipolysis fat burning fat

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 misterE

• 1,035 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:32 PM

What is interesting to note is that the adipocyte releases fatty-acids according to chain-length and degree of unsaturation [1]. The longer the chain of carbons, the less easily it is released from the adipocyte during lipolysis. Each double-bond (point of unsaturation) equals a two carbon shorting of a given fatty-acid, for instance: oleic-acid is an 18 carbon fatty-acid with 1 double-bond, which means it has an equal value of 16 carbons; the same number as palmitic-acid, however since oleic-acid is unsaturated and palmitic-acid is saturated, oleic would be released before palmitic, because for any given number of adjusted carbons, the mobilization increases with degree of unsaturation.

So here is the hierarchy of fatty-acids that are released during lipolysis. This is also the hierarchy of the oxidation rates of fatty-acids as well:

Acetic

Propionic

Butyric

Caprylic

DHA

EPA

Capric

Arachidonic

Linolenic

Lauric

Mead

Linoleic

Palmitoleic

Myristic

Oleic

Palmitic

Stearic

[1] J Lipid Res. 1993 Sep;34(9):1515-26. Differential mobilization of white adipose tissue fatty acids according to chain length, unsaturation, and positional isomerism. Raclot T, Groscolas R.

• Enjoying the show x 2
  • Agree x 1

#2 drew_ab

• 121 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:43 AM

What are the implications of this?

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 misterE

• Topic Starter
  • 1,035 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 July 2015 - 05:24 PM

My interpretation is that the fats on the bottom are the most fattening because they are very sticky to the adipocyte. While the fats on the top of the list are less fattening, because they are burned (oxidized) at a very fast rate. Acetic, propionic and butyric are made from the fermentation of dietary-fiber and resistant-starch mainly. These fats are extremely healthy and are reffered to as SCFA. The body actually burns these fats before it does carbohydrates. In fact these fats almost behave like carbohydrates in many ways (like the ability to inhibit lipolysis and gluconeogenesis).

Eating lauric-acid for instance would spare the oxidation of palmitic-acid. And I think that palmitic and stearic acids are not to be used as fuel for the body, they are meant to be stored away. Oxidizing FFAs comprised of palmitic and stearic acid causes insulin-resistance and free-radical production. In order for these fats to be oxidized, they must first be "desaturated" by the enzyme: delta-9-dessaturase, which is activated by insulin.

The fats in the middle of the list could have the potential to interfere with the oxidation of glucose. The Randle-Cycle states that only one fuel can be used by the body at a time. When the body is burning carbohydrates, fat burning is inhibited or drastically stalled and when the body is buring fat, carbohydrate oxidation is inhibited or stalled. Since the fats at the bottom of the list have a hard time oxidizing, they would be less likely to be used as fuel in the presence of carbohydrates and less likely to interfere with the oxidation of glucose (enabling better blood-sugar regulation).

Interesting to note is that fatty-acids stimulate the release of insulin to the degree of their rate of oxidation. Fats that have a hard time being oxidized (like palmitic-acid for example) makes the body secrete lots of insulin in the presence of glucose. Fats that have a intermediate effect on oxidation (like lauric or linoleic acids for example) secrete some insulin by not as much as palmitic, and the fats that are very prone to oxidation (acetic, propionic and butyric) don't make the pancreas secrete insulin at all.

This hierarchy of fatty-acids could also predict the insulinogenic potential of each fatty-acid. The reason I think this is so, is because the body doesn't like to burn long-chain saturated-fats, so they increase the secretion of insulin to: 1, to shuttle these fats back into the adipocyte and 2, enable the delta-9-desaturase enzymes. Hyperinsulinemia is caused by a large amount of circulating long-chain saturated FFAs, which are stimulating the release of insulin from the pancreas.

I know this sounds confusing, I have only just begun researching into this, but I do believe this is an accurate picture of fatty-acid metabolism so far...

Edited by misterE, 24 July 2015 - 05:33 PM.

• like x 2

#4 Kabb

• 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:28 PM

Hello MisterE.

I believe there is a discontinuity in the catabolism of such a hierarchy as you describe.  If I have understood this, correctly, the medium chain fatty acids do not require any additional transporter molecules, such as carnitine, to carry them into the mitochondria where they can be used as a source of energy.  The short chain and long chain fatty acids do not seem to work like this.

#5 misterE

• Topic Starter
  • 1,035 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:00 PM

Hello MisterE.

the medium chain fatty acids do not require any additional transporter molecules, 

If I am not mistaken most fatty-substances ( fatty-acids, cholesterol and hormones) must be transported in the plasma by water-soluble transport-proteins, in terms of fatty-acids, that transporter is LDL. 

Edited by misterE, 20 September 2016 - 04:01 PM.

#6 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:32 PM

My interpretation is that the fats on the bottom are the most fattening because they are very sticky to the adipocyte. While the fats on the top of the list are less fattening, because they are burned (oxidized) at a very fast rate. Acetic, propionic and butyric are made from the fermentation of dietary-fiber and resistant-starch mainly. These fats are extremely healthy and are reffered to as SCFA. The body actually burns these fats before it does carbohydrates. In fact these fats almost behave like carbohydrates in many ways (like the ability to inhibit lipolysis and gluconeogenesis).

Eating lauric-acid for instance would spare the oxidation of palmitic-acid. And I think that palmitic and stearic acids are not to be used as fuel for the body, they are meant to be stored away. Oxidizing FFAs comprised of palmitic and stearic acid causes insulin-resistance and free-radical production. In order for these fats to be oxidized, they must first be "desaturated" by the enzyme: delta-9-dessaturase, which is activated by insulin.

The fats in the middle of the list could have the potential to interfere with the oxidation of glucose. The Randle-Cycle states that only one fuel can be used by the body at a time. When the body is burning carbohydrates, fat burning is inhibited or drastically stalled and when the body is buring fat, carbohydrate oxidation is inhibited or stalled. Since the fats at the bottom of the list have a hard time oxidizing, they would be less likely to be used as fuel in the presence of carbohydrates and less likely to interfere with the oxidation of glucose (enabling better blood-sugar regulation).

Interesting to note is that fatty-acids stimulate the release of insulin to the degree of their rate of oxidation. Fats that have a hard time being oxidized (like palmitic-acid for example) makes the body secrete lots of insulin in the presence of glucose. Fats that have a intermediate effect on oxidation (like lauric or linoleic acids for example) secrete some insulin by not as much as palmitic, and the fats that are very prone to oxidation (acetic, propionic and butyric) don't make the pancreas secrete insulin at all.

This hierarchy of fatty-acids could also predict the insulinogenic potential of each fatty-acid. The reason I think this is so, is because the body doesn't like to burn long-chain saturated-fats, so they increase the secretion of insulin to: 1, to shuttle these fats back into the adipocyte and 2, enable the delta-9-desaturase enzymes. Hyperinsulinemia is caused by a large amount of circulating long-chain saturated FFAs, which are stimulating the release of insulin from the pancreas.

I know this sounds confusing, I have only just begun researching into this, but I do believe this is an accurate picture of fatty-acid metabolism so far...

I am not disagreeing with the order of fats in your list, but it does not match the words in your description.  The fats at the top of the list are the shortest chain.  The fats in the middle are the longest chain.  The fats at the bottom are saturated and span short to medium chains.

Do you have studies showing the total amount of insulin released by different fats, particularly when the fat is the only food given?    

When the human body eats excess carbohydrate, it stores that as palmitic acid.   It would be an awfully strange architecture for biology for our body to preferentially store energy as palmitic acid but then be unable to easily access it when dietary carbohydrate is not available?

One of the things I take from this list is that if you manage to get dietary polyunsaturated fats to a low enough level, they might preferentially metabolize out of the body at a faster rate than their normal 600 day half life.   For the person who wants to get a lower omega-6 tissue saturation, that might be good news.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#7 misterE

• Topic Starter
  • 1,035 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:44 PM

{1}  The fats at the top of the list are the shortest chain.  The fats in the middle are the longest chain.  The fats at the bottom are saturated and span short to medium chains.

{2} Do you have studies showing the total amount of insulin released by different fats, particularly when the fat is the only food given?    

{3} When the human body eats excess carbohydrate, it stores that as palmitic acid.   It would be an awfully strange architecture for biology for our body to preferentially store energy as palmitic acid but then be unable to easily access it when dietary carbohydrate is not available?

{4} One of the things I take from this list is that if you manage to get dietary polyunsaturated fats to a low enough level, they might preferentially metabolize out of the body at a faster rate than their normal 600 day half life.   For the person who wants to get a lower omega-6 tissue saturation, that might be good news.

{1} They are adjusted for unsaturation. For each point of unsaturation there is a two-carbon shortening. 

{2} No, none that I could find anyway. These studies show that FFA's stimulated insulin from lipolysis, not directly from food.

{3} The body has desaturase-enzymes: converting saturated-fats into monounsaturated-fats for easier mobilization and oxidation (stearic = oleic / palmitic = palmitoleic). 

{4} From my understanding, only linoleic-acid accumulates to a large degree in the adipose-tissue (due to being much less unsaturated than other polyunsaturated-fats), but all other PUFAs (ALA, EPA, Mead, AA) are mainly used as structural components in cell membranes. 

Edited by misterE, 19 October 2016 - 06:46 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fatty acid, mobilization, oxidation, lipolysis, fat burning, fat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users