Applying LTM hack to meditation?

meditation ltp learning memory synapses

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Deartothesun

• 17 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:54 PM

I recently read an article here: http://journal.front...013.00589/full     ---that was about speeding up the learning process using a short spaced repetition system. According to the study, people were able to learn and remember something in 1 hour what it would normally take months of classroom instruction to learn.

The method was to study intensely for 20 minutes, and then take a break and do something else that didn't rely on the same brain pathways for 10 minutes, and then repeat the process.
Apparently this kick started Long-term Potentiation in the brain and rewired the brain much quicker.

I was wondering if, in theory, the same thing would work for other skills such as meditation. Meditation seems to have many benefits due to the way it rewires the brain over time. It seems ( http://happinessbeyo...n-work-new.html ) that the rewiring of the brain works in the same way as forming memories... (i am obviously not educated on the matter though)

So my question is, could I potentially take advantage of the same process and greatly speed up meditation progress by doing it intensely for 20 minutes, taking a break to immerse myself in a different kind of activity for 10 minutes, and then repeating a few times a day?

EDIT: I accidentally double-posted this topic trying to change the title... sorry

Edited by Deartothesun, 20 July 2015 - 09:55 PM.

• Cheerful x 1
  • like x 1

#2 rikelme

• 174 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:07 AM

Meditation retreats work exactly like that: ~20 minutes of sitting meditation is followed by ~10 minutes of walking (or other kind of) meditation, followed by a ~10 minutes break. The block of three is then repeated throughout the day.

I would not be surprised that monks have discovered (through practice) what works the best.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Deartothesun

• Topic Starter
  • 17 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:49 PM

That's interesting... I wonder just how effective it is.

I also wonder how effective it would be if I did this everyday, maybe for an hour and a half. 20 minutes of intense meditation followed by 10 minutes of a completely unrelated activity, and repeating that 3 times, for a total of 1 hour of actual meditation practice. I was hoping someone with more understanding of neuroscience than I have could offer some insight as to why it might or might not work that way...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:36 AM

Similar protocol is applied by some weightlifters: 2 weeks heavy, 1 week light, and 1 week off.

Maybe it takes a few minutes to replenish ATP/monoamine stores.

Maybe alpha/beta/gamma waves begin interfering with each other, and it takes a moment just to quiet things down.

Maybe it's just placebo/their way of seeing it ... other intellectuals may work continuously for up to 2 hours.  Whose way is better?  Perhaps they are equal.

• Ill informed x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: meditation, ltp, learning, memory, synapses

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users