• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * - 16 votes

Nicotinamide Riboside [Curated]

nicotinamide riboside nicotinamide nad boosting charles brenner david sinclair leonard guarente niagen niacinamide nicotinamide mononucleotide

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2255 replies to this topic

#1141 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:40 PM

I just saw that Chromadex's stock price has slid to near the sudden drop off point in June before rebounding. I couldn't find any recent news so does anyone know if this is related to a report on NR?  

You'll need to comb back through this thread for that info. Basically a false report about financial dealings was blogged by some guy that caused their stock to take a dip.

#1142 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 September 2016 - 04:16 PM

I just saw that Chromadex's stock price has slid to near the sudden drop off point in June before rebounding. I couldn't find any recent news so does anyone know if this is related to a report on NR?  

You'll need to comb back through this thread for that info. Basically a false report about financial dealings was blogged by some guy that caused their stock to take a dip.

I mean the large slide has happened this week and was wondering if there was recent NR related news.   

• Informative x 1

#1143 Female Scientist

• 58 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:30 PM

I recall that recently there was a fire sale on Live Cell's Niagen, and we wondered why....anyone know what's up?? The research has been so strong lately, hopefully this is not a bad sign for the company.

I mean the large slide has happened this week and was wondering if there was recent NR related news.   

#1144 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:50 PM

Maybe someone here has better access to this.....

http://www.readcube....038/nrm.2016.93

http://www.nature.co...016.93.html....
"Published on-line 24 August 2016"

FULL TEXT:
Great material.....but somewhat worrying that there is nothing really new in it. Its getting clearer and clearer to me that the next breakthrough will not come from the old "hero" researchers but from fresh talent with new ideas.

Edited by stefan_001, 01 September 2016 - 08:53 PM.

#1145 Oakman

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:52 PM

Was wondering the same. I bought x6 (30 capsx250mg) @$25 recently. Seems a super deal!  Let's hope it's a trend to encourage larger sales or something good at least. Stock is recently a yo-yo, disappointing and strange, maybe due to some shenanigans surrounding their presenting at the upcoming Rodman and Renshaw Global 18th Annual Investment Conference Sept 13th.

I recall that recently there was a fire sale on Live Cell's Niagen, and we wondered why....anyone know what's up?? The research has been so strong lately, hopefully this is not a bad sign for the company.

#1146 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:59 PM

Was wondering the same. I bought x6 (30 capsx250mg) @$25 recently. Seems a super deal!  Let's hope it's a trend to encourage larger sales or something good at least. Stock is recently a yo-yo, disappointing and strange, maybe due to some shenanigans surrounding their presenting at the upcoming Rodman and Renshaw Global 18th Annual Investment Conference Sept 13th. 

But the stock price hasn't yo-yoed. There has been a 20% slide this week not counting the small increase in early August. I also wondered if it could be related to the upcoming conference.   

Funny. I forgot about Chromadex since it had stabilized and then saw this when I looked it up today. 

#1147 Oakman

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:08 PM

As in the last 6 trading days w/ interday high of 3.90 8/24, interday low of 3.16 8/31, close today of 3.46. Boing Boing. 

But the stock price hasn't yo-yoed. There has been a 20% slide this week not counting the small increase in early August. I also wondered if it could be related to the upcoming conference.   

Funny. I forgot about Chromadex since it had stabilized and then saw this when I looked it up today. 

#1148 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:36 PM

Bryan will probably need to clean up the thread again, but there were some SEC filings last week related to a supply agreement with an MLM company. I found most interesting the implications for products that might be in the works by Chromadex or perhaps a different buyer of product.

"“Excluded Products” means topical skincare or cosmetic products, foods or beverages, and any and all dietary supplements in the form of an energy shot, the combination of NIAGEN® with Choline and/or Betaine and/or DMG (all forms), unless it is a multi-vitamin, the combination of NIAGEN® with pterostilbene, the combination of NIAGEN® with collagen, nano NIAGEN®, and Finished Products with “methyl donor” claims. Additional products, may be added to this definition of Excluded Products at any time at the sole discretion of Seller upon written notice.”

"NIAGEN® with Choline and/or Betaine and/or DMG (all forms), unless it is a multi-vitamin, the combination of NIAGEN® with pterostilbene, the combination of NIAGEN® with collagen, nano NIAGEN®"

"Buyer shall no longer enjoy Exclusivity except for the Exclusivity described herein. Exclusivity for use of the Product in a melt (melting or dissolvable tablet or delivery system) shall be granted for the Multi-Level Marketing (MLM) Channel in the Territory"

"Year 2 and Year 3 – 2016 and 2017 (hereinafter, Year shall be calendar year): Buyer shall take or pay one million, five hundred and twenty thousand dollars ($1,520,000) of the Product, plus purchase four million dollars ($4,000,000) of the Product.  The Buyer will provide quarterly POs with delivery dates for the Product at a price of [*] dollars per kilogram ($[*]/kg).”  Buyer shall never be charged more than [*] dollars per kilogram ($[*]/kg) for the Product after Effective Date of the Second Amendment.  Seller’s only remedy for default of this Section 4.2 shall be the right to terminate Buyer’s right to Exclusivity described in Section 4. Minimum Purchase Requirements."

Edited by Heisok, 01 September 2016 - 09:37 PM.

#1149 NightBlueFruit

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:49 PM

I would be interested in seeing some more extensive study with NR on women in their later 30's and 40's specifically around fertility, success around pregnancy and giving birth, breastfeeding, as well as recovery and longer term effects that follow her and the child through developmental years.

Me too. As a woman in that general age range (actually 48 already, yikes) I am keenly aware of such issues -- especially after having multiple IVFs as well as natural conception to eventually have 4 kiddos, my last at age 41, and with the scientific background to understand how the hormone cycle starts to get disrupted with age. So I am very tuned in to hormonal issues around aging, and I definitely see some reversal in that area personally after being on NR since February of this year. The bad news is that women are usually the last to be studied in new medications and I assume supplements, hopefully that will change, but for sure the area around female fertility, aging, and NR seems ripe for study!

(Newbie here, have been enjoying the read). I want to thank you both for posting your interest in upregulation of NAD for fertility! The whole reason I started taking NR and joined this forum is because I'm hoping it will reverse my age-related infertility (I'm 47). I have one living child already and have been trying for a second for the past 6 years. NR has definitely changed my cycle so that it more closely resembles the cycle I had in my 30s, no hormone testing completed yet and not currently attempting pregnancy (trying to give the NR 4+ months to work).

My interest was prompted by some current research Sinclair is doing which was not designed with fertility in mind (I believe they are looking for changes to mitochondria and muscle) but which produced an interesting fertility outcome: menopausal mice (equivalent to age 50-60) became fertile again and had healthy litters. Sinclair is also an advisor to OvaScience, a fertility startup that seeks to restore ovarian reserve and egg quality through stem cell technology. Through OvaScience, he also has a patent application that uses NR or NMM in a supplement or IVF medium to restore egg quality prior to IVF. I'm sure many of you are very familiar with this research already, but just in case not, here are links to a video and the patent application:

This is the video:

An observation of repair of mouse ovaries from NAD supplementation. The outcome was unintentional as they normally use male mice. Here is a link to a video and transcript of an interview from a television program called Catalyst, with primary researcher Dr. David Sinclair discussing it (beginning around 7:14 into the video):

http://www.abc.net.a...ies/4485468.htm

Here is the patent application for a supplement that could be taken as a pill to restore ovarian function and egg quality in older women or used as a kind of medium in IVF to repair eggs and embryos.

http://www.google.co...3002880A1?cl=en

This is the most interesting part of the patent (OSCs are egg stem cells):

"Raising NAD+ levels in cells and in vivo dramatically increased mitochondrial function and mitochondrial content, which is generally recognized as a major determinant of female fertility, metabolic health, brain function, cardiovascular health and glucose metabolism/type II diabetes. OSCs and oocytes treated with an NAD precursor (e.g. nicotinamide riboside ie. "NMN") had increased NAD+, NAD+:NADH, and mitochondrial DNA content.

To determine whether increasing NAD+ levels had an effect on oocyte production, spontaneous oocyte formation was assayed. Each well of a 24-well plate was seeded with 25,000 OSCs. The number of oocytes formed and released into the medium per well was assessed the second day after seeding as well as the designated time points after NMN treatment. NMN treatment increased the rate of egg formation (EFA). Based on these results, compounds and genes that increase NAD+ in vivo or in vitro are expected to reduce or reverse infertility associated with mitochondrial damage, energetic defects, and aging of the ovary in female subjects.

NMN and other compounds that increase NAD+ levels are useful for increasing fertility or otherwise reducing or reversing infertility in a female subject."

• Informative x 7

#1150 Female Scientist

• 58 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:28 AM

NightBlueFruit -- Holy Cow, that's incredible stuff. I hadn't seen any of the articles you posted about female fertility, I'm so glad you did. I spent many years of agony and probably $50K chasing fertility -- and I'm one of the lucky ones. I also have noticed an immediate reversal in my cycle to a somewhat younger state, but have no blood work to back it up. My heart is certainly with this line of research and I wish you the very best in your quest -- please keep us posted!

I would be interested in seeing some more extensive study with NR on women in their later 30's and 40's specifically around fertility, success around pregnancy and giving birth, breastfeeding, as well as recovery and longer term effects that follow her and the child through developmental years.

Me too. As a woman in that general age range (actually 48 already, yikes) I am keenly aware of such issues -- especially after having multiple IVFs as well as natural conception to eventually have 4 kiddos, my last at age 41, and with the scientific background to understand how the hormone cycle starts to get disrupted with age. So I am very tuned in to hormonal issues around aging, and I definitely see some reversal in that area personally after being on NR since February of this year. The bad news is that women are usually the last to be studied in new medications and I assume supplements, hopefully that will change, but for sure the area around female fertility, aging, and NR seems ripe for study!

(Newbie here, have been enjoying the read). I want to thank you both for posting your interest in upregulation of NAD for fertility! The whole reason I started taking NR and joined this forum is because I'm hoping it will reverse my age-related infertility (I'm 47). I have one living child already and have been trying for a second for the past 6 years. NR has definitely changed my cycle so that it more closely resembles the cycle I had in my 30s, no hormone testing completed yet and not currently attempting pregnancy (trying to give the NR 4+ months to work).

My interest was prompted by some current research Sinclair is doing which was not designed with fertility in mind (I believe they are looking for changes to mitochondria and muscle) but which produced an interesting fertility outcome: menopausal mice (equivalent to age 50-60) became fertile again and had healthy litters. Sinclair is also an advisor to OvaScience, a fertility startup that seeks to restore ovarian reserve and egg quality through stem cell technology. Through OvaScience, he also has a patent application that uses NR or NMM in a supplement or IVF medium to restore egg quality prior to IVF. I'm sure many of you are very familiar with this research already, but just in case not, here are links to a video and the patent application:

This is the video:

An observation of repair of mouse ovaries from NAD supplementation. The outcome was unintentional as they normally use male mice. Here is a link to a video and transcript of an interview from a television program called Catalyst, with primary researcher Dr. David Sinclair discussing it (beginning around 7:14 into the video):

http://www.abc.net.a...ies/4485468.htm

Here is the patent application for a supplement that could be taken as a pill to restore ovarian function and egg quality in older women or used as a kind of medium in IVF to repair eggs and embryos.

http://www.google.co...3002880A1?cl=en

This is the most interesting part of the patent (OSCs are egg stem cells):

"Raising NAD+ levels in cells and in vivo dramatically increased mitochondrial function and mitochondrial content, which is generally recognized as a major determinant of female fertility, metabolic health, brain function, cardiovascular health and glucose metabolism/type II diabetes. OSCs and oocytes treated with an NAD precursor (e.g. nicotinamide riboside ie. "NMN") had increased NAD+, NAD+:NADH, and mitochondrial DNA content.

To determine whether increasing NAD+ levels had an effect on oocyte production, spontaneous oocyte formation was assayed. Each well of a 24-well plate was seeded with 25,000 OSCs. The number of oocytes formed and released into the medium per well was assessed the second day after seeding as well as the designated time points after NMN treatment. NMN treatment increased the rate of egg formation (EFA). Based on these results, compounds and genes that increase NAD+ in vivo or in vitro are expected to reduce or reverse infertility associated with mitochondrial damage, energetic defects, and aging of the ovary in female subjects.

NMN and other compounds that increase NAD+ levels are useful for increasing fertility or otherwise reducing or reversing infertility in a female subject."

• Informative x 1

#1151 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:37 AM

Continuing to follow the work of Prof Auwerx at EPFL. The release also includes quotes from Prof. Shinichiro Imai and Dr Hongbo Zhang ...:

Swiss-Japanese race for "elixir of youth"

http://www.sccij.jp/...lixir-of-youth/

#1152 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:34 PM

Continuing to follow the work of Prof Auwerx at EPFL. The release also includes quotes from Prof. Shinichiro Imai and Dr Hongbo Zhang ...:

Swiss-Japanese race for "elixir of youth"

http://www.sccij.jp/...lixir-of-youth/

Prof. Shinichiro Imai is pretty well known for those who are following the NAD precursor story. The article takes several current publications and blends them together.

I wish them luck on the (NMN) side. With daily treatments costing about 90 dollars its going to be a tough sell against (NR) unless they can generate results (NR) can't. Still the clinical data they produce will help further the whole NAD precursor story. 

Edited by Bryan_S, 02 September 2016 - 01:39 PM.

• Agree x 3
  • Informative x 1

#1153 NightBlueFruit

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:23 PM

Female Scientist, yes! It's pretty amazing. I'm so sorry to hear of your fertility struggles and expenditures. I haven't added up what we've spent, but with one IVF, several IUIs, immunology testing/treatment, and years of expensive supplements, acupuncture, etc., it's probably 30K+. Wouldn't it be amazing if a few months' (or even years') worth of NR supplementation turns out to be the ticket for many of us?

I'm heartened to hear that your cycle is showing signs of age reversal, too, that's exciting. My cursory research tells me there's a direct correlation between a more "textbook" cycle with ovulation on or close to cd14 and more normal/youthful FSH levels, for example. You probably know much more about this than I do (I'm a social scientist and know my way around a research database, but know nothing about biochemistry as you do). I'll certainly share my findings here when I do hormone testing, etc. so others can benefit from my data.

Wishing you all the best, too! :)

NightBlueFruit -- Holy Cow, that's incredible stuff. I hadn't seen any of the articles you posted about female fertility, I'm so glad you did. I spent many years of agony and probably $50K chasing fertility -- and I'm one of the lucky ones. I also have noticed an immediate reversal in my cycle to a somewhat younger state, but have no blood work to back it up. My heart is certainly with this line of research and I wish you the very best in your quest -- please keep us posted!

• like x 1

#1154 Asor

• 65 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:54 PM

Have you guys heard anything about other methods of NR administration other than oral, to improve absorption?

From my contacts im still hearing about their struggles to find a better way, oral admin worked well on mice but not so much on larger animal models.

I am mostly referring to studies related to NR and mitochondrial diseases, where the bio-availability of NR is more important.

If your purpose is longevity/slow aging, even lesser absorption of NR can help, so it's a less important matter i guess.

Edited by Asor, 02 September 2016 - 03:55 PM.

• Agree x 1

#1155 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:03 AM

Something like the NR Bible is now available:

"200 page research work behind several Nicotinamide Ribose PRs published online

This week the thesis work behind the press releases "<a href="http://www.timelessl.../">NicotinamideRiboside increases the Co-enzyme NAD+ in Human Clinical Study</a>" and "<a href="http://investors.chromadex.com/mobile.view?c=212121&v=203&d=1&id=2078994" target="_blank">Unexpected Discovery of Novel Biomarkers of Effective NAD+ Precursor, Nicotinamide Riboside</a>" was published online.

The thesis, "NOVEL NAD+ METABOLOMIC TECHNOLOGIES AND THEIR APPLICATIONS TO NICOTINAMIDE RIBOSIDE INTERVENTIONS", by Samuel A.J. Trammell was done at the Graduate College of The University of Iowa under supervision of Professor Charles Brenner.

......Together, these works performed in human and murine systems prove NR is superior to other B3 vitamins effecting the NAD metabolome and increasing NAD+ in particular......"

http://www.timelessl...blished-online/

#1156 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:56 PM

Something like the NR Bible is now available:

"200 page research work behind several Nicotinamide Ribose PRs published online

This week the thesis work behind the press releases "<a href="http://www.timelessl.../">NicotinamideRiboside increases the Co-enzyme NAD+ in Human Clinical Study</a>" and "<a href="http://investors.chromadex.com/mobile.view?c=212121&v=203&d=1&id=2078994" target="_blank">Unexpected Discovery of Novel Biomarkers of Effective NAD+ Precursor, Nicotinamide Riboside</a>" was published online.

The thesis, "NOVEL NAD+ METABOLOMIC TECHNOLOGIES AND THEIR APPLICATIONS TO NICOTINAMIDE RIBOSIDE INTERVENTIONS", by Samuel A.J. Trammell was done at the Graduate College of The University of Iowa under supervision of Professor Charles Brenner.

......Together, these works performed in human and murine systems prove NR is superior to other B3 vitamins effecting the NAD metabolome and increasing NAD+ in particular......"

http://www.timelessl...blished-online/

Champagne will probably uncorked at Chromadex's, for this one human who had a major surge in NAD+metabolism 2 to 8 hours after ingestion in the morning, took 1000mgs. I have been taking 400mgs per day so far, but now we can assume that more is at least not harmful....

#1157 lumia

• 50 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:36 PM

I know NaM is SIRT1-inhibiting, but does Niacinamide ascorbate act the same way? This is important when I shop for a multi-vitamin.

#1158 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 09:17 PM

FYI - There is a 150 page thesis by Krista Hawrylyshyn from University of Western Ontario, "Nicotinamide Riboside Delivery Generates NAD+

Reserves to Protect Vascular Cells Against Oxidative Damage."   source

It's somewhat interesting, though does not appear to break new scientific ground.  I've not read the whole thing yet.

• Informative x 1

#1159 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:27 AM

So I finally had my homocysteine levels checked and it was pretty low after 5 months of NR. 7.7 uMols/L

• Informative x 3

#1160 playground

• 454 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:00 AM

So I finally had my homocysteine levels checked and it was pretty low after 5 months of NR. 7.7 uMols/L

hi Nate,

What were your homocysteine levels before 5 months ago ?

Do you know the standard deviation of the homocysteine data ?

What's the relationship between NR and homocysteine ?

Are you a vegetarian or vegan ?

Have you been eating more protein in the last few months ?

(dunno... egg, tofu, cheese, etc )

playground

• Good Point x 2

#1161 Castiel

• 374 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:42 AM

Seeing articles behind paywalls (especially publicly funded articles) really upsets me. If any of my own tax dollars pay for the research, it should be illegal to put it behind a paywall. Plus, it significantly detracts from research and reproducibility studies. It is a shame that we must have the equivalent of the PirateBay for research papers.

That is so true, copyright is in need of mayor reform.  Rather than block or ban the free exchange of ideas, the so-called copyright owners should at most be allowed to have a fraction of any revenue generated, and if the content does not generate directly or indirectly any revenue such exchanges should be considered fair use.  That is fair use should be expanded to encompass all nonprofit sharing, and all sharing involving profit, say via advertising, could pass a fraction of the wealth generated back to the content owners.

Regards NAD if it is indeed purposely destroyed by the body creating a deficiency, skimming didn't seem to notice if that destruction was regulated, but if it is true it could be potentially part of a system of programmed aging.

Edited by Castiel, 06 September 2016 - 11:45 AM.

#1162 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:50 PM

hi Nate,

What were your homocysteine levels before 5 months ago ?

Do you know the standard deviation of the homocysteine data ?

What's the relationship between NR and homocysteine ?

Are you a vegetarian or vegan ?

Have you been eating more protein in the last few months ?

(dunno... egg, tofu, cheese, etc )

playground

I have never had them checked before unfortunately. I wish I had but I hadn't even heard of homocysteine till after I started taking NR.

The relationship is more so between straight B3, Niacin and homocysteine. There was a discussion about it earlier in this thread and I mentioned I'd have mine checked to be sure.

I'm a regular omnivore though I do have that gene that makes green veggies bitter so vegetables are tough for me to eat without gagging. It sucks.

I eat about the same as always. For the last several months my breakfast for the most part has been a sliced apple and I dip the wedges in peanut butter, tasty, good level of fiber, pectin, protein and fats.

My lunch is sometimes salmon or a salmon salad that I make like tuna salad which does have a lot of egg and some cheese, or I eat an italian hoagie from wawa, but I tend to try and keep it light or fat/protein based till the evening because carbs sap my energy. I sometimes just eat almonds.

Worried I'm actually eating less protein but I doubt it, there have been a few hamburgers from various pubs in the area.

#1163 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:00 PM

Regards NAD if it is indeed purposely destroyed by the body creating a deficiency, skimming didn't seem to notice if that destruction was regulated, but if it is true it could be potentially part of a system of programmed aging.

I was collecting links on NAD destruction last night so its fortuitous you mention this. I was actually looking for any new publications on CD38 and NAD depletion.

http://www.sbbq.org....os/R08029-1.pdf

http://www.pnas.org/.../11648.full.pdf

https://pdfs.semanti...9effe53ca57.pdf

Its going to take awhile to tease out the mechanics of this and find out whats upstream of CD38 that's causing its increase. What is suspected is a relationship between Cellular Senescence and CD38. There is also another connection to cd38 and inflammatory cytokines. So when this is figured out it will be a significant move forward.

Edited by Bryan_S, 06 September 2016 - 05:09 PM.

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1

#1164 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:42 PM

I was collecting links on NAD destruction last night so its fortuitous you mention this. I was actually looking for any new publications on CD38 and NAD depletion.

http://www.sbbq.org....os/R08029-1.pdf

http://www.pnas.org/.../11648.full.pdf

https://pdfs.semanti...9effe53ca57.pdf

Its going to take awhile to tease out the mechanics of this and find out whats upstream of CD38 that's causing its increase. What is suspected is a relationship between Cellular Senescence and CD38. There is also another connection to cd38 and inflammatory cytokines. So when this is figured out it will be a significant move forward.

It begins to look like that CD38 reacts postively against negative influences. Still, I wonder ' why ' the reaction to cellular senescence is the destroyal of energy.

#1165 playground

• 454 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:56 PM

I am interested in this  relationship mentioned by Nate:

The relationship is more so between straight B3, Niacin and homocysteine.

There was a discussion about it earlier in this thread and I mentioned I'd have mine checked to be sure.

Is there a way for me to  search a single thread for a keyword...  without resorting to

looking on every page of the thread ?

#1166 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:43 AM

I am interested in this  relationship mentioned by Nate:

There was a discussion about it earlier in this thread and I mentioned I'd have mine checked to be sure.

Is there a way for me to  search a single thread for a keyword...  without resorting to

Playground: the term riboside is relatively rare so if you search for riboside as well as homocysteine most of the hits are from within this thread.

IIRC there is another thread where niacin and homocysteine have been discussed.

#1167 Black Fox

• 27 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:14 AM

I am interested in this relationship mentioned by Nate:

Is there a way for me to search a single thread for a keyword... without resorting to
Hi there!

High levels homocysteine are related to cardiovascular disease, dementia....etc and You won't be doing any favor to your telomeres.

First of all, should get your MTHFR gene check, ( for 100 bucks in 15 days you'll get the answer) it's estimated that 70% of the population suffer from it and 30% got a mutation in both polymorphism.

So before jumping a wagon on supplementing sth that your body won't metabolize , make sure you find out your homocysteine levels and your mutation.

Be mindful that NR along with Niacin raise homocysteine( no wonder why products like Resveracel we including TMG in their formula), you should be a week away from those before getting your blood work

Having lower levels than 10 uMols/L are advisable!

And like Nate , if got IT under 8 after suplementing with NR, that's more tha desirable ,I'd say perfecto

Edited by Black Fox, 07 September 2016 - 08:15 AM.

#1168 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:28 AM

Is there a way for me to search a single thread for a keyword... without resorting to
Be mindful that NR along with Niacin raise homocysteine( no wonder why products like Resveracel we including TMG in their formula), you should be a week away from those before getting your blood work...

What is the scientific evidence we have on NR rising homocysteine?

I have been looking at this from time to time w/o finding much beside some anecdotal reports. And as we are on anecdotes, despite 200-300mg supplementation of NR I could not see any effect on my levels while I clearly see it using similar doses of Niacin. Incidentally, I level around 11 mcmol/l despite my B complex supplementation. I am also looking at Cystatin C which measures renal funtion and is correlated to homocysteine. I will re-do a test using an additional 1000 mcg of l-Methylfolate and possibly some extra TMG for some time but I am skeptic as results several years ago were negative. I am not homozygous for MTHFR C677T (rs1801133) and am heterozygous for  MTHFR A1298C (rs1801131).

Congrats to Nat for his excellent values!

• Informative x 2

#1169 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:47 AM

Be mindful that NR along with Niacin raise homocysteine( no wonder why products like Resveracel we including TMG in their formula), you should be a week away from those before getting your blood work...

What is the scientific evidence we have on NR rising homocysteine?

I have been looking at this from time to time w/o finding much beside some anecdotal reports. And as we are on anecdotes, despite 200-300mg supplementation of NR I could not see any effect on my levels while I clearly see it using similar doses of Niacin. Incidentally, I level around 11 mcmol/l despite my B complex supplementation. I am also looking at Cystatin C which measures renal funtion and is correlated to homocysteine. I will re-do a test using an additional 1000 mcg of l-Methylfolate and possibly some extra TMG for some time but I am skeptic as results several years ago were negative. I am not homozygous for MTHFR C677T (rs1801133) and am heterozygous for  MTHFR A1298C (rs1801131).

Sometime ago I scoured the internet for any NR homocysteine connection  and found none. My homocysteine levels after six months of taking 400mg of NR daily were unchanged. I think Black Fox may be confusing NR with Niacinamide...

Vast swathes of the population have a poor  intestinal absorption of B12 so it's not likely that taking a Bcomplex will help your homocysteine levels. Much more effective: sublingual methylcobalamin.

• Informative x 1

#1170 Tom Andre F. (ex shinobi)

• 423 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:37 PM

Wasnt you also taking a multivitamin ?

Sometime ago I scoured the internet for any NR homocysteine connection  and found none. My homocysteine levels after six months of taking 400mg of NR daily were unchanged. I think Black Fox may be confusing NR with Niacinamide...

Vast swathes of the population have a poor  intestinal absorption of B12 so it's not likely that taking a Bcomplex will help your homocysteine levels. Much more effective: sublingual methylcobalamin.

The relation ship is that NR is actual niacinamide just linked to a ribose. Means the methyl traping is very likely. Furthermore, these 2 studies just confirm that most of NR will be converted into raw niacinamide, actually only a few seems to stay into the NR form, but still enough to perform effect (do not forget we naturally make NR and NAR..) :

http://www.cell.com/...4131(16)30350-3

http://biochem.uiowa...nts/bogan08.pdf

Both niacin aka nicotinic acid and niacinamide are well known to increase homocysteine IF we do not take others Bs along. NR weight half niacinamide and half ribose. Thats can also make the difference about its effect on homocysteine.

Regarding B12, even if someone have very severe and poor intestinal absorption, he will get the B12 at 500mcg. And sublingual B12 is just not effective, there is no stats difference between group sublingual and oral, so the conclusion is the b12 is only absorbed orally :

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC1884303/

Finally, I think we have to be careful to methylation anyway, whatever the homocysteine level is because low level is good but can also mean we are hypermethylated as explain this specialist very well in many of his cases:

http://mthfr.net/ove...udy/2012/06/27/

• Informative x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide riboside, nicotinamide, nad boosting, charles brenner, david sinclair, leonard guarente, niagen, niacinamide, nicotinamide mononucleotide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By