- - - - -

I think i am developing prediabetes on my low fat diet

low fat

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 vader

• 243 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:51 AM

My postpranadial bs is creeping to 170 sometimes... Morning is like 95 - 97. I am eating a semi-vegan diet, sub 20% fat.

Any advice?

I want to have insulin sensitivity, not go on a extremely bland low gi diet or high meat diet / paleo...

Edited by vader, 30 May 2016 - 06:56 AM.

#2 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:47 PM

If you're that low fat, most your calories come from carbs. Since you already experience such high postprandial it's high time to cut down carbs.

, not go on a extremely bland low gi diet or high meat diet / paleo...

Most carbs come from most bland bread, pasta and white sugar. If you just cut out these and add healthy fats with spices, the remaining diet is neither bland nor high in meat.

• Good Point x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • Disagree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:34 PM

Why are you eating low fat? Because years ago people thought it is healthier?

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#4 vader

• Topic Starter
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:46 PM

Why are you eating low fat? Because years ago people thought it is healthier?

Fatty foods make me naseous. Maybe it's because i used to be obese and ate a lot of mayo, etc.

#5 vader

• Topic Starter
  • 243 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:47 AM

Curious if this could be caused by giving up milk thistle. I have been taking milk thistle to protect against drinking, but decided to quit alcohol and haven't been taking any for like 3 weeks.

Milk thistle is known to give robust anti-diabetic effect and i am on a cronish / low-cal diet (which has caused some prediabetes for some people here).

• Disagree x 1

#6 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:24 PM

Eat fish and eggs instead of so many carbs, increase calories and exercise.

• unsure x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#7 misterE

• 1,035 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:08 AM

Eating less carbohydrates can increase glucocorticoids, leading to high blood-sugar ironically. Eat a starch-based diet and look into the rice-diet. High starch/sugar diets actually reverse diabetes, whereas prolonged fasting and low-carb diets increase diabetes by elevating free-fatty-acids. Fiber will help a lot to. Beans, oats, barley, whole-grain pasta, rice, lentils, steamed vegetables, potatoes,  fresh fruit. Less oil, meats, refined sugars, nuts and fat, more exercise, sunshine, all this will quickly reverse things. 

Edited by misterE, 01 June 2016 - 04:12 AM.

• Ill informed x 4
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • WellResearched x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#8 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:20 AM

Sure!

Everybody knows that sugar is the very best thing against diabetes, in fact is exactly what is prescribed by every endocrinologist in order to reverse it!

Sometimes I wonder if you really believe in what you write....I sincerely hope not and that you are just having lot of fun.:)

• dislike x 3
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#9 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 10:23 AM

30 bananas a day is a cult!

• WellResearched x 1

#10 vader

• Topic Starter
  • 243 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:29 PM

Fuck my ass i had random reading of 222...

Do i have some kind of LADA / Type 1 diabetes? How come 22 bmi, 40 minute + exercise a day, no sugar, etc. young guy would get diabetes?

Edited by vader, 01 June 2016 - 04:30 PM.

#11 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:19 PM

It might be that since you previously have been fat your receptors' sensitivity is screwed up, it takes time to adjust those issues.

One of the first things to avoid is to eat frequently, which usually is a very strong habit in obese subjects, I mean putting anything in the mouth, not just having a meal.

Usually obese people are convinced they actually do eat very little food, in fact it might be true that they do eat quite small MEALS but they are always munching on something all day long, that causes continuous insulin release which leads to receptors insensitivity.

Eat your food at meals ONLY, eat a lot of food if you like but between meals NOTHING has to enter your mouth but water, period.

Two meals a day might be a good strategy, especially if the big one is immediately after training and the small one contains no carbs at all but some veggies, it might require a relatively high fat diet to feel comfortable which such a kind of nutritional plan.

• Agree x 1

#12 aza

• 128 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:03 AM

do you use a nutrient tracker vader? perhaps you are deficient in something or maybe you just arnt eating high quality carbs. Could also be genetics i suppose, i hope you find a solution.

#13 vader

• Topic Starter
  • 243 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:20 PM

I have no idea whats going up with my blood sugar. 108 fasting today..

I decided to try a huge ass meal of 2000 calories of fastfood - to see how high i would spike afterwards. One hour later - BS 105.

I'm starting to think my low calorie intake might be to blame. Maybe too small meals don't provoke enough first phase insulin or something...

Edited by vader, 04 June 2016 - 02:23 PM.

#14 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 04 June 2016 - 05:01 PM

@Vader maybe it's because you are an APOE4 carrier. Fats make me feel nauseous and don't have much of an effect on my illness either. Fats greatly raise cholesterol with APOE4

#15 sativa

• 536 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:55 AM

Your leptin and other food related hormones are perhaps somewhat dysregulated.

Also, you should maybe consider flushing/detoxing built up fat soluble toxins. As you loose fat these will he released. This includes any stored PUFA's - PUFA's are quite pro-oxidants...
  • Ill informed x 1

#16 JustGetMeIntoSpace

• 67 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:28 PM

Are you consuming much fructose?  Some guys are very sensitive to it.  If you go too high for your physiology, you'll see hdl drop, triglycerides rise and your apoB/LDL-P will increase.  Other signs of insulin resistance will start plaguing you as well.

Lots of sitting traps the lipase enzyme and you cannot digest carbs well.  You have to exercise/keep moving if you are going to consume lots of carbs.

Also, I recommend reading Dr. Gould's version of a low fat diet.  He emphasizes avoiding grains and adding in various proteins to displace some of the carbs.  

And this goes without saying:  minimize wheat.  Any significant amount of wheat can jack up your blood sugar.

One last thing:  if you are a young pup and need tons of calories, then a low fat diet is tough, because so many carbs are required.

#17 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:30 PM

Lipase enzyme hydrolyzes fats, not carbs.

• Agree x 1

#18 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:46 PM

I cured myself of diabetes with a LCHF diet and intermediate fasting.  Fat does not raise blood sugar.  Carbs do and protein does some.

• Agree x 2
  • Disagree x 1

#19 JustGetMeIntoSpace

• 67 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:12 PM

Lipase enzyme hydrolyzes fats, not carbs.

Jeez.  Thx for cordial correction even tho I deserved worse:

http://healthland.ti...—and-standing/ 

#20 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:42 PM

@Vader are you an APOE4 carrier?

#21 vader

• Topic Starter
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:06 PM

@Vader are you an APOE4 carrier?

Don't know yet. My grandfather had Alzheimer and Diabetes Type II and my grandmother has diabetes too (both on the same side).

I think my issue is insufficient omega-3 intake. My blood seems unusually thick and i have developed some eczema ever since going vegan. Even though i ditched veganism for now, i think i ate too much high omega 6 sources after going omni which thrown everything even more out of whack.

Btw, fuck dermatologists, what a scam. How the fuck they can't recognize if a skin rash is dermatitis, hives, eczema, one even said scabies! wtf

#22 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:58 PM

There are genes which make vitamin B12 levels drop more on a vegetarian or vegan diet. Maybe that could be the problem

#23 sativa

• 536 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:27 AM

Look into chromium and coconut oil for resolving insulin/pancreas issues.
  • Informative x 1

#24 Schnurbi

• 21 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:09 PM

Why are you not on a low toxin low carb high fat diet? Many carbs equals bad insulin sensitivity. - Check out the bulletproof diet. best thing that ever happened to me. http://www.bulletproofexec.com

BulletproofRoadmap_Rebrand_outlined.png

Edited by Schnurbi, 21 June 2016 - 01:10 PM.

• Good Point x 1

#25 aza

• 128 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:16 AM

very low carb diets are a bandaid solution i think. They dont fix the problem, they just reduce the damage imo. Still, it might be worth looking into if nothing else seems to work. You might want to experiment a bit more with your macros and see if switching it up has a positive effect.

• Disagree x 3

#26 PiotrLC

• 4 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:58 PM

You should definitely cut out carbs from your diet. It is not even that hard, really. Just avoid eating bread and pasta products for a while, until your levels are just about right again.

• Informative x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#27 vader

• Topic Starter
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:18 PM

Ok, after trying high fat / low carb for a few days, i think there are some benefits, but overall my brain felt fuzzy and i couldn't type on my keyboard and work was pain. I also got some erectile dysfunction all of sudden.

I think i will stick to 200 - 250 grams of carbs a day for now, mostly pearl barley and buckwheat. The difference in brain processing speed is almost amazing after coming out of semi? keto state.

• unsure x 1

#28 sativa

• 536 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:38 PM

Just make sure you properly prepare your barley and buckwheat (like traditional methods) to reduce so called "anti nutrients" that when consumed in large amounts, can cause health issues.

I sprout buckwheat groats/lentils & ferment rice/lentils.

#29 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:48 PM

very low carb diets are a bandaid solution i think. They dont fix the problem, they just reduce the damage imo. Still, it might be worth looking into if nothing else seems to work. You might want to experiment a bit more with your macros and see if switching it up has a positive effect.

Carbs turn into energy and insulin stores excess energy as fat.  Insulin resistance simply means the cells resist taking the energy in and most diabetics are overweight.  Sugar is just a carb without fiber but all carbs cause an insulin spike.  I am low carb of about 25-30 a day.  Green vegetables, mostly those highly nutritious that grow above ground. Moderate protein, high fat.  If you don't watch your carbs you will continue to be damaged.  I am Keto adapted and largely burn ketones rather than carbs for energy.  The only diabetic med I now take is metforman but I take it for other reasons than diabetes.  You can cure yourself and increase healthspan and lifespan.

• Agree x 1

#30 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:01 PM

Ok, after trying high fat / low carb for a few days, i think there are some benefits, but overall my brain felt fuzzy and i couldn't type on my keyboard and work was pain. I also got some erectile dysfunction all of sudden.

I think i will stick to 200 - 250 grams of carbs a day for now, mostly pearl barley and buckwheat. The difference in brain processing speed is almost amazing after coming out of semi? keto state.

For Brain Fog try "Mickey T Eight," or there are a couple others which are MCT oils for fat.  Also be sure to add a little sea salt each day.  If you were in a keto state which can take up to a month, you would not be having these symptoms.  You probably were experiencing withdrawal from carbs.

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: low fat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users