• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!

n-acetyl-glucosamine flaxseed oil turmeric anxiety

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Hip

• 2,388 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 10:19 PM

I had hellish, unrelenting generalized anxiety disorder for several years, and, having tried hundreds of supplements (as well as SSRI drugs and TCA drugs) in my frantic efforts to treat it, I found 3 supplements that seem to pretty much eliminate my anxiety!

• The first and most potent anti-anxiety supplement is N-acetyl-glucosamine (NAG), taken at a dose of 700 mg twice daily on an empty stomach; the dose can be reduced once daily after a few weeks. NAG should not be confused with glucosamine sulfate, which will not work for this anti-anxiety purpose. Note that NAG is shellfish derived. NAG should not be taken if you are on the blood thinner warfarin.

• The second most potent is flaxseed oil (aka linseed oil), one level tablespoon (15 ml) daily. 15 ml of flaxseed oil is equivalent to 13 grams of the oil. Flaxseed oil is best absorbed when taken with food.

• The third is the herb turmeric, at a dose of 1000 mg twice daily, best taken on an empty stomach (but if it causes irritation, take with food). This herb can be bought cheaply as turmeric powder for cooking. 1000 mg equates to just under one level teaspoon of powder. Turmeric is not to be confused with curcumin (turmeric contains 3% curcumin, but also many other active ingredients including demethoxycurcumin, bisdemethoxycurcumin, ar-turmerone, atlantone, and zingiberone).

My anxiety was so severe that on bad days it would often border on mild psychosis. So it is quite amazing that just by taking these 3 supplements together, I have pretty much eliminated my anxiety disorder symptoms. It shows they are potent.

Anti-Anxiety Effects — Mechanism of Action

Why these 3 supplements work so well for treating anxiety is not clear, but since they are all anti-inflammatories, they may work by reducing inflammation in the brain. Recent research has shown that brain inflammation may cause mental symptoms, including anxiety symptoms, depression, ADHD, and many others. Brain inflammation releases lots of glutamate in the brain, which can affect brain functioning. So the anti-inflammatory properties of these supplements may be the mechanism by which they eliminate anxiety. If this is indeed the case, then by reducing the inflammation in your brain, you may be treating the very neurological source of the anxiety.

Note that I literally tested hundreds of supplements for their anti-anxiety effects, but only found a couple of dozen that worked for me, with these three supplements being among the best. 

This present thread is just a copy of my original 2012 anti-anxiety thread, that I posted on another forum here.

I also have an older 2010 predecessor thread located here, which details my anti-inflammatory methods for treating generalized anxiety disorder when I was first developing and experimenting with these techniques back in 2010. But the 2012 thread is better and more up to date.

From the feedback I received on the 2012 thread, it seems that these 3 supplements are often a very effective treatment for people suffering generalized anxiety disorder (GAD).

For treating generalized anxiety disorder, these 3 supplements seem to work very well for around 50% of people, but for the other 50% who try them, they don't seem to work at all. It's kind of all or nothing. But when these supplements do work, they can be an effective and non-addictive alternative to benzodiazepines or SSRI drugs. 

Anyway, I thought I'd post this info in case it helps anyone with anxiety symptoms. I had 5 years of shear living hell with severe GAD, and so I know just how bad GAD can be.

Edited by Hip, 30 May 2016 - 10:27 PM.

• Informative x 3
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • like x 1

#2 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:58 AM

interesting. you said this exact same thing 2 years ago. are you still doing those 3 supplements that help prevent anxiety for the past 2 years or what is going on here?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Hip

• Topic Starter
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:15 AM

Yes, I am still taking the same 3 supplements to keep anxiety at bay, and they still work. In my case I have a chronic enteroviral infection constantly producing inflammation, so I need to take these supplements to keep the inflammation down, otherwise anxiety symptoms will return.

I think these 3 supplements will likely help anyone whose anxiety is caused by brain inflammation. If your anxiety symptoms are associated with inflammatory issues in your body, such as chronic sinusitis, chronic nasal congestion, or gut issues like irritable bowel syndrome or SIBO, all of which can drive up inflammation levels in the body, then it is quite possible that your anxiety disorder is underpinned by inflammation, and in this case these 3 supplements I think will probably work for you.

I have had quite a bit of feedback over the last few years from people with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) who tried these 3 supplements, telling me that they experienced good results. So I think it is worth reposting this info, as it may help someone who is living in the hellhole that is severe generalized anxiety disorder.

Edited by Hip, 31 May 2016 - 04:17 AM.

• like x 1

#4 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:29 PM

im wondering if plain glucosamine wouldnt work just as well

• Agree x 1

#5 Hip

• Topic Starter
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:25 PM

im wondering if plain glucosamine wouldnt work just as well

When I tried glucosamine sulfate, it slightly worsened some of my chronic fatigue syndrome symptoms for some reason; but N-acetyl-glucosamine (NAG) did not do this. 

NAG has been shown to reduce the Th17 immune response (ref: 1), which has been linked to anxiety (ref: 1). This may be one of the anti-inflammatory mechanisms by which NAG reduces anxiety levels. 

NAG is a component of mucin, the protective coating of the intestines and sinuses. The mucin coating fights infections, so if NAG helps produce more mucin, this may have an anti-inflammatory effect in the gut and sinuses, which will help lower overall inflammation in the body and brain, leading to less anxiety (by my hypothesis).

• like x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#6 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:11 AM

Is NAG's anti mercury effect relevant?

https://books.google... mecury&f=false

#7 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:12 AM

interesting. but if it cannot chelate and remove the other metals alltogether its still just this one that perhaps might help a bit

#8 Hip

• Topic Starter
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:22 AM

I think you may be mixing up N-acetyl-glucosamine with N-acetyl-cysteine; it is the latter that helps detoxify mercury.

#9 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:33 PM

I think you may be mixing up N-acetyl-glucosamine with N-acetyl-cysteine; it is the latter that helps detoxify mercury.

I've used NAC but if you check my link NAG seems to be reccomended as well. Mercury binds to magnesium receptors and can certainly exacerbate anxiety states.

#10 Hip

• Topic Starter
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:57 PM

if you check my link NAG seems to be reccomended as well. 

In your link to Google books, because the previous page of the book is not shown, the only thing I can read is "... NAG can be very helpful." But it does not say for what.

Also, I could not find any articles online saying NAG works as a chelator.

In any case, the anti-anxiety effect of NAG kicks in remarkably quickly, within 2 hours of taking it on an empty stomach. Whereas chelation of heavy metals is something that takes many months. So that seems to indicate that NAG's anti-anxiety effect is not related to chelation.

Edited by Hip, 01 June 2016 - 07:58 PM.

#11 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 10:36 PM

if you check my link NAG seems to be reccomended as well.

In your link to Google books, because the previous page of the book is not shown, the only thing I can read is "... NAG can be very helpful." But it does not say for what.

Also, I could not find any articles online saying NAG works as a chelator.

In any case, the anti-anxiety effect of NAG kicks in remarkably quickly, within 2 hours of taking it on an empty stomach. Whereas chelation of heavy metals is something that takes many months. So that seems to indicate that NAG's anti-anxiety effect is not related to chelation.

Search chitin. Since it binds it fairly efficiently in the gi tract there still may be a rather imediate effect. But in your case it sounds like a different mechanism of action, yes.

http://www.sciencedi...381514808001521
"
Interaction of mercury with chitin: A physicochemical study of metal binding by a natural biopolymer
José L. BarriadaRoberto HerreroDarío Prada-RodríguezManuel E. Sastre de Vicente

Chitin is one of the most abundant polymers in nature, it can be found in the exoskeletons of arthropods and in the cell wall of fungi. Chitin presents multiple applications for medical and industrial purposes. In this study, chitin isolated from waste spider crab shells has been used to analyse its interaction with mercury(II). Characterisation of chitin polymer particles was done by means of FTIR, 13C solid-state NMR, nitrogen adsorption isotherm and SEM/EDS analysis. Batch experiments have been done to analyse factors affecting the metal–polymer interaction process such as time of contact between the chitin and the mercury bearing solution, particle size, pH of the solution and initial metal concentration. Results obtained show that the binding process takes place at moderate rate, in 6–7 h equilibrium conditions are nearly achieved. Particle size influences in the process rate but not in the total metal removal obtained at equilibrium. Results indicate that interaction between mercury and chitin is very strong and irreversible.
"

#12 Hip

• Topic Starter
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:37 PM

Search chitin. Since it binds it fairly efficiently in the gi tract there still may be a rather imediate effect. 

OK, chitin seems a pretty good mercury chelator. Chitin is a polymer of N-acetyl-glucosamine, but I don't know enough chemistry to understand if N-acetyl-glucosamine will also chelate mercury. Would you have any insight on this?

#13 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:56 AM

What about chitosan, does that chelate mercury too? I haven't seen any claims for it.

#14 Fluttergoat

• 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:01 AM

I've been struggling with depression and anxiety for 10+ years, and things took a turn for the worse last year after my fathers death. I'm going to try this for my anxiety, if i can get NAG into Norway. I have a feeling part of it can be due to chronic inflammation. I'm not going back to SSRI's and the usual medical route. Tried that for ~9 years and the side effects and addictions is not something i want in my life again. Thank you for sharing your findings :-)

#15 Hip

• Topic Starter
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:07 AM

In Europe, you can buy N-acetyl-glucosamine cheaply here (though they are currently out of stock on some brands).

• like x 1

#16 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:23 AM

I've been taking regular glucosamine- no help with anxiety AFAICT. I'll try NAG soon.

#17 Hip

• Topic Starter
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:28 AM

I've been taking regular glucosamine- no help with anxiety AFAICT. I'll try NAG soon.

Regular glucosamine does not cross the blood-brain barrier; it is the acetyl molecule attached to glucosamine in NAG that allows NAG to enter the brain, where I suspect it has an anti-inflammatory effect. This in turn may reduce any anxiety symptoms or anxiety conditions that are driven by brain inflammation.

• Disagree x 1

#18 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:44 AM

You can bulk nag from here now
https://www.nutrivit...iant=8029185409

Hopefully beyond a century will start to carry the bulk powder again...
  • Informative x 1

#19 Hip

• Topic Starter
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:53 AM

You can bulk nag from here now
https://www.nutrivit...iant=8029185409

Good find, zorba990.

The Jarrow N-acetyl-glucosamine that I usually buy is around $15 for 120 x 700 mg, so that works out at 18 cents per gram of NAG.

The bulk powder source you provided is $70.50 for 1 kg, so that works out at 7 cents per gram.

#20 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:58 PM

Hip, how do you take your turmeric? I bought some powder based on your post, but i only managed to take one spoon as the taste grossed me out, not to mention yellow mouth, teeth, and toothbrush.

Also, I had bad body odor for the next day. Is it typical?

• Good Point x 1

#21 Hip

• Topic Starter
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:07 PM

Hip, how do you take your turmeric? I bought some powder based on your post, but i only managed to take one spoon as the taste grossed me out, not to mention yellow mouth, teeth, and toothbrush.

Also, I had bad body odor for the next day. Is it typical?

I just place a level teaspoon of turmeric powder in my mouth (on my tongue), then I drink some water, swish the water around my mouth so as to wet all the turmeric powder, and then swallow. Then I take one or two more gulps of water, again swishing the water around my mouth to pick up any remaining turmeric, and then swallowing.

I have tasted some pretty awful herbs in my time, but I myself I don't find the taste of turmeric bad at all. It's quite a neutral taste for me. But I guess we all have different taste buds. You could try encapsulating the turmeric, by buying cheap encapsulation machine.

The other thing you could try is placing your level teaspoon of turmeric powder into a half glass of milk, then covering the top of the glass with the palm of your hand, and giving the glass a good shake, to blend in the powder. Once the turmeric is in the milk, most of the taste will be masked when you drink the milk.

Edited by Hip, 13 February 2017 - 07:08 PM.

#22 Fluttergoat

• 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:05 PM

I started using 1g of turmeric in hot water with honey, a little bit of black pepper and a bit of milk. Makes for some good tea actually :)

I also notice stronger body odours, especially noticeable in urine. 

Why black pepper? http://nutritionfact...ty-of-curcumin/

I'm thinking of making a mixture of coconut oil, turmeric and black pepper for ease of administration. 

Edited by Fluttergoat, 14 February 2017 - 12:19 PM.

#23 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:36 PM

I also notice stronger body odours, especially noticeable in urine. 

I think this effect is real. I work with a few people from india and they have very strong body odors. one of them is openly boasting about taking lots of turmeric as indian folk medicine.

i'll try taking it down with milk or water, but only on weekends for a starter.

I do feel positive effects from NAG, it's very subtle. I think it works by binding to wheat germ agglutinin that is known to be harmful for some humans.

i still need to get that flaxseed oil. would flaxseed meal be a good replacement?

http://www.bobsredmi...xseed-meal.html

Edited by jack black, 14 February 2017 - 02:37 PM.

• Agree x 1

#24 Hip

• Topic Starter
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:44 AM

I do feel positive effects from NAG, it's very subtle. I think it works by binding to wheat germ agglutinin that is known to be harmful for some humans.

Binding to wheat germ agglutinin only occurs if you take NAG with a meal (and specifically with a meal that contains wheat). But when it binds to agglutinin, the NAG gets expelled in the feces, and does not enter the body.

If on the other hand you take NAG on an empty stomach (which is what I do), then it will be absorbed into the body, and have systemic anti-inflammatory effects, including the all important anti-inflammatory effects in the brain, which I believe helps reduce anxiety in people with neuroinflammation-driven anxiety.

#25 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:49 AM

ive asked around for NAG, but its not a popular supplement hardly offered in most stores

#26 Fluttergoat

• 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:30 PM

@Hip have you tried combining the turmeric with black pepper? It seems to increase the bioavailability of turmeric by a substantial amount.

Today my NAG finally arrived. Looking forward to try this protocol, with a few additions.

#27 Hip

• Topic Starter
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:49 PM

@Hip have you tried combining the turmeric with black pepper? It seems to increase the bioavailability of turmeric by a substantial amount

I have not tried this myself, as I have IBS-D and pepper irritates my intestines and makes th IBS worse.

Lecithin and olive oil also increase bioavailability, and I take lecithin daily. 

#28 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:41 AM

fluttergoat, keep us updated on your use of NAG and effects, thanks

#29 AOLministrator

• 181 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:36 AM

I just ate like 3g of NAG and it definitively does something to me. Whatever that is, time will tell. I believe that its making me a little tired, but not sure.

If it makes my pancreas stop bitching, that would be so awesome. Some shit is going on with it. Hell I am not waiting 20+ years for it to be destroyed up to the point of diabetes. Need to fix this now.

Edited by Aolministrator, 25 February 2017 - 01:38 AM.

• Enjoying the show x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#30 Fluttergoat

• 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:54 PM

fluttergoat, keep us updated on your use of NAG and effects, thanks

I can't tell you the exact effects of NAG due to recently starting several compounds/medications and making a lot of lifestyle changes. What I can say is that it's not causing a deterioration in function.

My current stack: Moclobemide, NSI-189, Turmeric, NAG, Flaxseed oil, vitamin D3, magnesium citrate, zinc & coconut oil.

I've made big changes to my diet. Started eating healthy, weight training 3x a week, long walks on rest days and I'm seeing a psychologist once a week.

This has done wonders for my depression, stress and anxiety levels. Mood is better than it has been for years. Negative thinking has been reduced by 80℅. I am noticing some fatigue, but it's definitely not worse than what I was going through before this experiment.

NSI-189 can be quite anxiogenic and I'm very prone to anxiety. I have not had any trouble to speak about so far and I believe @Hip's stack is partially to thank for this.

Edited by Fluttergoat, 25 February 2017 - 01:59 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: n-acetyl-glucosamine, flaxseed oil, turmeric, anxiety

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users