Things that increase COMT activity increasing MOA-A

adhd

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 theCLK

• 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:10 AM

Hi - as in the title, looking for something that increases my COMT activity and increases my MOA-A, drugs, supplements.. anything really!

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • like x 1

#2 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:58 PM

I asked that question a while back and don't remember anyone answer. Feel free to search.

What symptoms if I may ask?
  • Ill informed x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 theCLK

• Topic Starter
  • 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:31 PM

Biplolar like feelings, impulsivity, inability to focus or concentrate, irritability, reward seeking, restlessness etc etc

#4 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:47 PM

Biplolar like feelings, impulsivity, inability to focus or concentrate, irritability, reward seeking, restlessness etc etc

You sound like a distant family member who is homozygous for 3 different COMT SNPs. she has been labeled different things by different docs: dyslexia, ADHD, adjustment disorder, and depression. i personally though she had borderline personality disorder for a while. she is a bright person and functions very well in low stress environment, but goes nuts in high stress (including suicidal). Unfortunately, she creates high stress herself by poor life choices. the current psychiatry dogma is pretty much useless for this.

this is useful info, but short on solutions: http://www.beyondmth...nces-the-brain/

• Ill informed x 1

#5 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:50 PM

estrogen and progesterone upregulate it. not sure how much, but you could avoid AIs, mushrooms and grapeseed are most potent and common ones.

lutein apigenin and quercetin block the breakdown of progesterone, problem is they have have comt inhibiting and methylating properties. chlorgenic acid was the one comt inhibitor without much epigenetic consequence
  • Needs references x 1

#6 theCLK

• Topic Starter
  • 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:57 PM

@ Jack Black - Yes that sounds like me :( Can't seem to find much that helps...

@ gamesguru - thanks mate

• like x 1

#7 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:03 PM

estrogen and progesterone upregulate it. not sure how much, but you could avoid AIs, mushrooms and grapeseed are most potent and common ones.

lutein apigenin and quercetin block the breakdown of progesterone, problem is they have have comt inhibiting and methylating properties. chlorgenic acid was the one comt inhibitor without much epigenetic consequence

you are wrong about estrogen, it makes it worse for sure: http://www.beyondmth...ss-and-anxiety/

testosteron supposedly makes it better, not sure of progesterone.

• Ill informed x 1

#8 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:23 PM

apologies i did just find it on my phone without checking, back at the computer now it appears estrogen is the one you actually want.  someone could triple check??

Catechol-O-methyl transferase protein expression in human endometrial tissues was up-regulated in the proliferative phase and down-regulated in the midsecretory phase of the menstrual cycle. Estrogen induced a dose-dependent increase in COMT proximal promotor–luciferace transactivation in pHES cells whereas progesterone inhibited it. Estrogen up-regulated soluble COMT protein isoform expression whereas the addition of progesterone down-regulated it in pHES cells. High doses of 2-methoxy estrogen inhibited endometrial stroma cell proliferation, and down-regulated B-cell lymphoma 2 and vascular epithelial growth factor protein expression.

• Disagree x 1

#9 theCLK

• Topic Starter
  • 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:59 PM

So... should i just be guzzling the soy milk beverages? Isn't taking estrogen a bit tricky for men?

#10 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:40 PM

as a man you need more testosterone i guess.

• Ill informed x 1

#11 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:42 PM

apologies i did just find it on my phone without checking, back at the computer now it appears estrogen is the one you actually want.  someone could triple check??

Catechol-O-methyl transferase protein expression in human endometrial tissues was up-regulated in the proliferative phase and down-regulated in the midsecretory phase of the menstrual cycle. Estrogen induced a dose-dependent increase in COMT proximal promotor–luciferace transactivation in pHES cells whereas progesterone inhibited it. Estrogen up-regulated soluble COMT protein isoform expression whereas the addition of progesterone down-regulated it in pHES cells. High doses of 2-methoxy estrogen inhibited endometrial stroma cell proliferation, and down-regulated B-cell lymphoma 2 and vascular epithelial growth factor protein expression.

the OP needs that COMT in brain cortex and not endometrium. besides, looks like he has no endometrium either.

i just checked and progesterone increases activity of both COMT and MAO: https://humrep.oxfor...l_1/14.full.pdf

Edited by jack black, 19 January 2017 - 08:47 PM.

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#12 theCLK

• Topic Starter
  • 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:45 PM

I'm a little confused, what should i supplement?

#13 iseethelight

• 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:55 AM

Nobody really knows how to treat comt mutations. Suggestions have been b2, niacin, progesterone. I've tried the first 2 to no avail. I haven't tried progesterone yet but afraid to do so as a man. The issue with using supplements to treat  these very delicate and spicific single mutations is that is that when you take a supplements to treat them, you end up breaking something else or creating another imbalance. With me, b2 made my histamine too low which in turn made me an anxious pussy, niacin increased my homocysteine too much causing fatigue, body ache and more depression and anger..

#14 Simeoni

• 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:33 PM

What mutations do you have - in your COMT enzyme? Im met/met in V158M. Ive always thought that having this mutation has some benefits when it comes to cognition and mood - at least in low stress enviroment.

Joe Cohen had a nice summary on this in his site: https://selfhacked.c...-gene/#The_Good

@ Jack Black - Yes that sounds like me :( Can't seem to find much that helps...

@ gamesguru - thanks mate

Edited by Simeoni, 22 January 2017 - 04:38 PM.

#15 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:57 PM

Yes that sounds like me

No offense but it sounds like 99% of the Western population. Have you ever met anyone who does not react really poorly to even minor stress?

• Ill informed x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#16 theCLK

• Topic Starter
  • 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:20 PM

Yes that sounds like me

No offense but it sounds like 99% of the Western population. Have you ever met anyone who does not react really poorly to even minor stress?

? Yes - there's many people that deal pretty well in stressful situations - ie I work in documentary, we walk into a gang house - my friend who is interviewing is comfortably chatting with the members and I who is shooting just can't wait to leave. When we do get out there our sound guy asks us what level out of 10 we're stressed at, we both rated a 9. Anyways, i think some ppl fair much better in stressful situations.

• like x 1

#17 theCLK

• Topic Starter
  • 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:23 PM

this is what a bud wrote out for me upon looking at my information.

/////////////////// ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The results suggest you have lower levels of the COMT protein (and that they are less active). This would result in high dopamine levels.

COMT V158M rs4680 AA +/+
COMT H62H rs4633 TT +/+

You are AA at rs4680 (COMT again), which is associated with a higher risk of having ADHD: https://www.selfdecode.com/snp/rs4680/

Regarding MAO-A, your results consistently show that you have lower levels. This also results in high dopamine levels.

According to this, you shouldn't function as well on stimulants, amphetamines, etc, so it's surprising you're getting good results from Rasagiline.

The recommended supplement to try is Methyl Guard Plus: http://www.iherb.com...ggie-Caps/33646

Also, Ginkgo Biloba, Magnesium (glycinate/lysinate chelate), and L-OptiZinc.

Based on your VDR Taq and Bsm genes, you should probably check your vitamin D levels. You may need to supplement with higher amounts (along with Vitamin K to ensure calcium is directed away from soft tissue). Life Extension Vitamin D + K is one good D + K product.

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#18 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:50 PM

does progesterone really increase COMT? any source. I think estrogen downregulates it.

Edited by farshad, 02 December 2017 - 02:58 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adhd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users