- - - - -

my painful 2 year experience with vitamin d2 and 3 and hypercalcemia

vitamin d

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:19 AM

A while back I went to the doctor and got my D levels tested. They were pretty low so the doctor put me on 50,000 IU of D twice a week. I was taking this for a while when I noticed that I was having some pain in my joints. The pain continued so I wanted to find out what was causing it. Of course, I couldn't really find anything that could be the cause. I didn't feel good, and the pain was actually in my ulna, additionally. I went to my doctor and got a bunch of blood tests (I don't know the exact numbers and I don't have the sheets with me so I'm going to guess), which said my blood calcium was 30 out of 35. Everything was normal. I later started Googling all of that stuff because I didn't have experience with a number of the items. When I googled blood calcium 30 I saw a page that was all about hyperparathyroid. I was reading the page and I had a good number of those symptoms. Painful bones. Painful joints. Lack of motivation. Side pain. Painful movement.

According to this site, blood calcium of 30 was high for an adult, and you should be like 29 at the most. I read this entire domain and everything I read sounded exactly like what I had. They said that symptoms typically came from ionized calcium rather than blood calcium, so I wanted to get that test. I got it from a doctor and my level was normal, like 1.18 in a range from 1.15 to 1.24 or something. I later got it at another place and the values were different and I was higher than the high range. Apparently when you are in pain your serum calcium level is higher. When I got all these tests, my PTH levels were tested. They were always regular, luckily. The normal functioning is that if your calcium levels go up, parathyroid hormone goes down, and when your calcium levels go down, parathyroid goes up. If you have low calcium, your body makes more parathyroid hormone to signal to let more calcium out of the bones. So if you have high calcium and high parathyroid, you probably have hyperparathyroid. I didn't have high parathyroid. It was always near the bottom of the range.

I was sure that my symptoms were caused by calcium. Everything lined up with everything they say about calcium. I need to mention that this was painful. My limbs hurt. My middle finger hurt. It was like someone was crushing my bones. I joined a hyperparathyroid forum and the members were talking about their experiences. I got the scan where they check your neck to see if you have anything enlarged. I was taking normal doses of D3 while this was happening because it was thought to be advantageous. I visited numerous endocrinologists who specialized in this and none of them though I had hyperparathyroid. I had other tests for things that can cause raised calcium and I didn't have any of them. All the while I continued to take vitamin D, but at lower doses. I eventually discovered that my symptoms were related to what I ate. Nightshades, potatoes, peppers, mushrooms, and tomatoes would all produce pain within a few days. weirdly enough, glucosamin, chondroitin, msm supplements did it, too. It's pretty normal to hear about these foods causing joint pain. I thought myabe I just had that. I suggest that these foods cause joint pain through hypercalcemia. If I didn't eat those I felt fine. I had to search a lot online but I found things about potatoes bringing about joint pain.

Later, I found that when I stopped taking vitamin D, I could eat whatever I want and not have any discomfort. Nearly no site that I read suggested that vitamin D could induce hypercalcemia. I did have a communication with someone who said that D2 can impact a few things. I haven't taken a D supplement since 2 years ago at this point and my bones feel fine. I can eat tomatoes and peppers all day and everything is amazing. So now my puzzle is wtf actually occurred ? Basically if I take D it will make me feel lousy.

I didn't go to a single doctor that suggested that possibly was the case. Interestingly, I have a few years of bloodwork suggesting that it is. I quit taking D when my tests showed a normal level upon which I realized I was no longer experiencing problems.

Specifics
- I was given D2 supplements to fix low D
- after I started taking them, I experienced sensations which I learned were hypercalcemia although I really only had them when I would eat nightshades, mushrooms, or glucosamine- chondroitim- msm supplements
- all of these experiences were accompanied by elevated past normal range ionized calcium tests
- upon switching to a lower amount of D, I still had symptoms
- my parathyroid levels were correct for each of my tests: high calcium - low parathyroid
- when I was not experiencing discomfort my calcium levels were regular
- stopping D caplets led to a discontinuation of uncomfortableness and I was able to eat anything I wanted
- this goes against everything I read, as references specifically stated that D does not cause hypercalcemia
- I will probably not use D again as it was rather uncomfortable and may have lead to bone issues and I don't want to experience it again

Edited by ironfistx, 02 February 2017 - 02:21 AM.

#2 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:24 AM

No, it's been about 1 and a half years since I've had vitamin D.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:32 AM

Vitamin D2 is said to be a bad choice, usually D3 is recommended instead.

Not necessarily that is what caused the issue but might....especially on such high dosages (50000IU/week, is that right?...that's huge!).

Vitamin D is considered very healthy and no doubt it is, at least in most cases, but...

I already wrote about my weird experience with it in this forum but nobody seems to relate to it, googling doesn't yield ant result either.

I supplemented for a few years D3 5000IU/day without any issue whatsoever, at a certain point out of nowhere I noticed my nails became very soft and extremely fragile, even keeping them as short as possible didn't prevent from constantly breaking and splitting.

My nails have been previously always very hard and strong

I stopped supplementing D3 and the issue noticeably ameliorated, resuming supplementing returned the problem: it is definitely the D3.

My mother had the same happening to her, D3 the only thing we share.

Now, D3 should do the exact opposite but eventually it isn't always the case.

By the way, K2 was supplemented along D3 all the time.

Now on 5000IU once every two weeks and K2 everyday, nails not perfect but far better and manageable (still soft but not so easily splitting).

Since you are pointing it out possibly at about the same time started a painful elbows condition likely due to triceps tendons calcification I always thought due to wrong exercise in the gym now chronic...

Maybe it is just the D3 even at the actual low dosage...I will try to quit completely and see what happens.

#4 Hyperflux

• 122 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:44 PM

What is the quickest way to get rid of hypercalcemia due to excessive Vitamin D in intake? I am 99% sure I have hypercalcemia because I was using 12mg boron with Vitamin D for a month, which increases Vitamin D absorption by over 50% at that dose. I am really constipated and dehydrated, and I can't seem to sleep more than 6 hours a night.

#5 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:53 PM

Vitamin K2 in quite high dosage.

#6 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:50 AM

I had a dexa scan during this time, too as everything looked like that would be the right test to get.

#7 Consequences

• 43 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:21 PM

Have you considered finding a good herbalist / naturopath instead of conventional science doctors?

I used to have allergies to all kinds of food due to being on an iv drip then tablets, of high antibiotics for 4 constant years when I was born. They messed up my body completely and everything I ate would make me violently hyperactive.

My parents tried everything, and eventually 6 months with a herbalist completely cured me. I could go and eat a Mars bar or a bag of Haribo (back then, they put about 30 E numbers in them) and would be fine.

Unfortunatly she was very expensive.

The same woman has now been given a Dameship (female version of Knighthood) by the british government which is unsurprising.

#8 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 September 2017 - 07:38 AM

No mention of Magnesium or Boron, let alone K2.
What do you expect, I think the D2 had brought calcium into the soft connective tissues because you don't know what the hell you are doing.
The Boron will help the mind clarify and your supplement research will become better. Lemon juice water should stop you getting kidney stones later. Thx
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#9 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:22 AM

No mention of Magnesium or Boron, let alone K2.

.. not to mention vitamin A.

http://blog.choleste...th.com/2009/04/

#10 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:39 AM

Vit A is in all fresh food. There's quite a bit of talk that vitamin D therapy is not too good. It's true levels need to go up, we all need the sun. The trouble is the excitement D causes in the body. It's anti parasite compound that turns into a hormone that transports minerals and effects two thirds of the human DNA switching. Not to mention it allows one into Nirvana through it's analgesic properties. It can give the steel jacket powers in martial arts.
One needs to take it easy, some can take high doses, some need tiny doses to start, some are happy at levels that clinically look low.
Whatever one does, the parasites need to go and herbs work well there. It's not nice when the body runs out of vitamin A, protein liver synthesis goes out of balance, things stop working. It's funny how methylation regulates vit D and protein demand can't be met and cholesterol can't be made because there's no vitamins left to do anything. Pale thin lips are a sign of vit A deficiency. Thank you for sharing.
  • Ill informed x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:41 AM

Vit E suffers to!
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vitamin d

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users