* * * * * 1 votes

Methylene blue homemade skin cream?

methylene blue topical skin care

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#61 rubegoldberg

• 50 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:38 PM

DERMABLUE - Mitochondrial Research Skin Cream (60m / 120ml)

DermaBlue mitochondrial research cream uses Methylene Blue at a concentration of 0.5uM, in accordance with the recent study on anti-aging skin treatment.

Ingredients: Almond oil, Jojoba oil, Vitamin E oil, Borax, Lavender oil, Methylene Blue & Purified Water

https://www.mitolab....erma-skin-cream

Edited by rubegoldberg, 22 November 2017 - 10:39 PM.

#62 DareDevil

• 283 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:59 PM

Thanks for the link. It is indeed a lot easier than making your own but that's one hefty markup for relatively cheap ingredients. I guess that the beauty and cosmetics market can charge whatever they like.

DD

• Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 Izan

• 387 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:05 PM

DermaBlue mitochondrial research cream uses Methylene Blue at a concentration of 0.5uM, in accordance with the recent study on anti-aging skin treatment.

Ingredients: Almond oil, Jojoba oil, Vitamin E oil, Borax, Lavender oil, Methylene Blue & Purified Water

link is dead

#64 zen

• 139 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:26 PM

link is dead

This one worked for me - https://mitolab.com/...am-60m-120ml-2/

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#65 floweryriddle

• 134 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:30 AM

@aconita do you have any thoughts on the creme posted above? You seem to know most of us about this stuff. 

From the description: 

It's roughly $50 for the 60ml jar or almost $80 for the 120ml

Edited by dvstr, 30 November 2017 - 02:30 AM.

#66 vegacosmetics

• 17 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:37 PM

I am looking for testers for a MB bearing skin cream I have created (you will recieve a 100ml jar at no cost to test) . Need to be UK based.

I've taken a very different approach than merely extrapolating the research concentrations into a skin care product; that hasn't proved to be particularly effective in a reasonable timeframe. When I do have a product for sale I'm looking at £16.99 for  a 100ml jar with free delivery Europe wide. £18.99 for the jar delivered elsewhere.

• Informative x 1

#67 floweryriddle

• 134 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:17 AM

I am looking for testers for a MB bearing skin cream I have created (you will recieve a 100ml jar at no cost to test) . Need to be UK based.

I've taken a very different approach than merely extrapolating the research concentrations into a skin care product; that hasn't proved to be particularly effective in a reasonable timeframe. When I do have a product for sale I'm looking at £16.99 for  a 100ml jar with free delivery Europe wide. £18.99 for the jar delivered elsewhere.

Could you go into details how your product differs?

Not Europe/UK based but would be interested nontheless 

#68 vegacosmetics

• 17 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:44 AM

I don't want to go into to much detail because I put a lot of work into arriving at the results I have achieved. What I will say is that a steady release of MB is the key.

#69 RIURAO

• 18 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

I don't want to go into to much detail because I put a lot of work into arriving at the results I have achieved. What I will say is that a steady release of MB is the key.

Hi Vegacosmetics,

Did you already give it a try? Could you update us? As i understand you are using a constant release method for a total bioavalability of the MB as in the petri dish of the original experiment. Is that right?

#70 vegacosmetics

• 17 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:08 PM

Hi Vegacosmetics,

Did you already give it a try? Could you update us? As i understand you are using a constant release method for a total bioavalability of the MB as in the petri dish of the original experiment. Is that right?

It has already been under testing by a small group of friends. The results are exceptional. I'm not asking for people to be guinea pigs, the product is perfectly safe, I just want to get some people external to my circle of friends to try it and report their results. People will normally rip your arm off when there is something free on offer, but so far nobody has stepped up to try this.

Edited by vegacosmetics, 03 January 2018 - 02:09 PM.

#71 RIURAO

• 18 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:10 PM

Possibly but rather hard to say since in vivo usually is quite different from in vitro, the underlying mechanism should still work (hopefully) but magnitude and time need direct experimentation in order to be assessed.

Hi again Aconita, what would you suggest for the  DMSO, UREA, Hialuronic acid or soy Lecityn for the solution?

I have found this :

https://www.guinama....S (Español).pdf

But as seen in page 4, it seems it has a 100% concentration , it seems too much, isnt it?

#72 Lady4T

• 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:57 AM

After reading this thread and doing further research about the benefits (and cautions) of MB, I'm very interested to try it out on my skin (hands, arms, face).

I'd love to hear what the results have been so far on the skin of those of you who have used an MB lotion or cream (or just a water solution?). Aconita?  roguereason? BieraK? or anyone else... please come back and tell us your experience.

Getting some MB from the aquarium shop and some syringes to measure....

#73 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:37 AM

I'd love to hear what the results have been so far on the skin of those of you who have used an MB lotion or cream (or just a water solution?). Aconita?  roguereason? BieraK? or anyone else... please come back and tell us your experience.

See my post #46  above. Works like a charm though patience is essential.

#74 QuestforLife

• NO

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:52 AM

Hi Vegacosmetics

I tried the mitolab methylene blue cream for months with little to no benefit, so there must be an issue with bioavailability. More than happy to try yours;shall I PM you?

#75 vegacosmetics

• 17 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:58 AM

Hi Vegacosmetics

I tried the mitolab methylene blue cream for months with little to no benefit, so there must be an issue with bioavailability. More than happy to try yours;shall I PM you?

Providing free product to people with no history on the forum makes no sense; I was looking for people with a history here and whose recommendation would actually carry some weight. 

• unsure x 1
  • Unfriendly x 1

#76 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:56 PM

Question 1:

I have 188ml of an Methylene Blue serum at a concentration of 1330.4 uM. 

This was an accident since I misread Aconita's earlier post, thinking millimeters instead of liters.

How can I salvage this and get the 188 ml down to a concentration of 2.5 uM?

Question 2:

If I have 3 liters of water with Methylene Blue at a concentration of 2.5 uM, how much of that should I add to a 188 ml serum of hyaluronic acid, vitamin C and Matrixyl 3000.

Question 3:

Would Vitamin C affect the MB in any way?

#77 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:38 PM

I figured out the first two questions.

If I take 1.6 ML of the existing concentrated solution from the 188ml and then add it to 56ml of distilled water I get roughly a concentration of ~50 uM. If I then take that and add 5ml to a 188ml vial of the serum without MB I get a concentration of around 1.5 uM.

This is a handy dilution calculator here: http://www.physiolog...ty_percent.html

Edited by Nate-2004, 07 February 2018 - 04:42 PM.

#78 The Capybara

• 196 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:57 PM

I used a small patch of skin to test microneedling of a fairly concentrated solution of methylene blue (60mg/ml).

As expected, it did leave a nice blue tattoo of dots after washing off my skin.

As hoped, the blue did fade in a day or two.

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • like x 1

#79 The Capybara

• 196 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:51 AM

Here (hopefully) is a picture of two needled spots on my forearm. One is labeled "C" for control, and the other "MB" for USP grade methylene blue at a concentration of 60mg/ml (mixed with distilled water) and passed through a sterile 0.2 micron syringe filter. It was needled with a commercial unit using 2mm needles. You can see that it's essentially a methylene blue tattoo. The control side used nothing but a bit of sterile normal saline solution for needle lubrication.
This appears to have successfully driven in the methylene blue to deep levels in the skin, which is fairly thin on the inside forearm.
This picture was taken within an hour or so of the procedure. No substantial pain or inflammation beyond the level of the control spot.
Let's see what happens.

Attached Files

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 2
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#80 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:27 PM

Wow 60 MILLIgrams per ml is a pretty heavy solution compared to the less than 5 MICROgrams we're talking about on most of this thread.

#81 The Capybara

• 196 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:52 PM

If you're looking for such low concentrations of methylene blue in the skin, then why not just take it systemically (unless contraindicated for some reason. ex: taking bupropion), and benefit from the effects on cognition as well as your skin (possibly)?
The reason I used a solution of 60mg per ml of methylene blue for needling is because I usually take 60mg per day orally. Personally I've seen no noticeable skin improvements using the compound orally or even applied to the skin at extremely high concentrations with ingredients to facilitate diffusion (somewhere in this thread it's documented), and so I ramped up the local concentration within the skin by needling. I mean if you're going to do it, do it.
I do want to clarify that although I've seen no skin improvements orally taking 60mg of MB daily, I have most definitely experienced memory improvements. This occurs in the first few days.

I strongly suspect that any skin improvements people are seeing at such a low concentration are either placebo or due to the vehicle being used to mix the methylene blue in to. I'm very open to being proved wrong, but I do have a fair amount of personal experience to base this belief on.
  • Ill informed x 3

#82 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:32 PM

We are using that low concentration because in the couple of published articles people have posted it basically indicates that anything over 5µg had detrimental effects while anything under that showed positive effects. I find that believable as this is the case with many things. 5µg of LSD can have uplifting anti-depressant effects, though honestly I think modafinil is better.

#83 Lady4T

• 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:09 AM

The concentrations tested in the study were from 0.5 μM to 2.5 μM (microMolars, not micrograms). And the researchers found that 0.5μM to 1.0μM gave the best results. Above a 2.5μM concentration, the benefits disappear and then began to have negative effects.

Here's the study:

https://www.nature.c...598-017-02419-3

And just a couple of days ago I came across an older study were the researchers used even lower concentrations with good results.  So it seems that lower is better. (I'll try to find that study again)

• Informative x 1

#84 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:27 AM

Considering that oral ingestion of MB has been discussed before in this thread,  I am not far OT if I point to the study below.

Apparently MB is a very effective killer off the malaria parasite, but in the context of this thread is relevant that 11 persons received 15mg/kg bodyweight for three days and that hardly any adverse events were reported, except blue pee.

(BTW, the MB was given in minitablets and the researchers mention the name of the producing company.)

http://www.thelancet...0044-6/fulltext

#85 The Capybara

• 196 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:32 AM

Here's the latest picture of the methylene blue needling.
Feels like much less and smoother scabbing over the MB treated area.

Attached Files

#86 The Capybara

• 196 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:48 AM

I read the Nature paper reference above.
There was increased cellular death in cultured skin cells at higher concentrations of methylene blue, however collagen production did go up with increasing dose.
Why are you guys interested in this?

If it's for thicker, younger appearing skin, I still think your at a concentration that's far too low, especially when you consider how poorly MB seems to diffuse into the skin even when detergents and other compounds to facilitate skin diffusion are added.
The other issue is that they judged their MB concentration and effectiveness in a static tissue culture where the MB was in intimate and constant contact with the cultured cells. In real life you've got diffusion happening really quickly into a nearly limitless sink, the rest of the body, and facilitated by active transport that maintains a high local concentration gradient, the capillaries.

So what if some cells die at higher concentrations of MB?

Do you think that needling doesn't kill off cells in bulk?

It's the trauma of needling that seems to facilitate skin repair and collagen production. Now add some methylene blue....

Again, we'll see how this experiment pans out. This is only the first stage, the current goal being to look for toxic effects.

In the end, I think the Nature paper is a good paper, but not intended for modeling in vivo skin in a dynamic environment.

Edited by The Capybara, 14 February 2018 - 12:53 AM.

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#87 QuestforLife

• NO

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:25 AM

That is the problem with the paper - constant immersion of the skin in MB. It's the same issue with in vitro studies of potentially useful substances like resveratrol, when they show a beneficial effect on cells of 24 hour immersion, when the half life in vivo is something like 3 hours!

So if we want the skin thickening effect seen in the Nature study, we need to find a way to deliver the right concentration of MB to the skin over a 24 hour period.

What do the skin cream companies use for slow release of active ingredients?

• Good Point x 2

#88 vegacosmetics

• 17 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:33 AM

I did mention sometime ago in this thread that I had formulated a methylene blue skin cream which provides a continual release. I sell this at cost on eBay

https://www.ebay.co....tm/322976577533

• like x 2

#89 QuestforLife

• NO

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:53 AM

I did mention sometime ago in this thread that I had formulated a methylene blue skin cream which provides a continual release. I sell this at cost on eBay

I'll buy it and give it a go; I've tried the Mitolab formulation for ~3 months, with very little improvement in skin thickness or wrinkle appearance, so it will be interesting to see if yours does any better. I'll try it for an equivalent time and report back.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#90 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:22 PM

How was this done and what's the concentration?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: methylene blue, topical, skin care

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users