• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

why does salt temporarily cure my depression?

sodium depression

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 iseethelight

• 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:20 AM

When I’m feeling very depressed, putting 1/18 tsp of salt in my mouth then swallowing it ince it’s melted lifts my mood almost instantly. The change in mood lasts about an hour. what does this say about my condition?

#2 n95

• 13 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:01 PM

Perhaps...

https://www.scienced...10405175012.htm

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Jiminy Glick

• 235 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:16 PM

Salt is very important in many brain functions. 

#4 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:41 PM

i don't know the answer to the OP's question, but do know low salt diet is associated with greater mortality.

#5 Kinesis

• 262 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:59 AM

Depends ... it could be that you’re just not getting enough sodium in your diet. It’s unusual, but not unconceivable. With all the anti-salt publicity it’s possible to forget that sodium is an essential mineral. Sure, get too much and it’s bad for you ... but get too little and that’s no good either.

Personally I look at sodium not in a vacuum but in relation to potassium. An equimolar ratio is ideal. Given the atomic masses of sodium and potassium, that works out to about a 23:39 ratio by weight ... which turns out to be roughly in line with recommended allowances.
  • Good Point x 1

#6 John_Woo

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:03 AM

The body regulate the sodium level to a precise range. Some diseases can lower your sodium level, causing Hyponatremia. Taking a hit of salt could then bring your sodium level to normal. I suggest you see a doctor.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Dichotohmy

• 201 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:40 PM

Look into aldosterone and vasopressin. Kinesis is very right that potassium and sodium balance is important. The thing with that is that its easy to get potassium from a reasonable diet, as potassium is in almost everything. Sodium, on the other hand, might be lacking if you avoid processed foods in the name of eating clean as a lifestyle solution to your problems.

I think if you had hormonal issues causing sodium depletion, you would definitely know it as you would have all kinds of dysautonomia. I also wouldn't expect much from a doctor here, as I personally have long had borderline hyponatremia (~130 mmol/L), and I have heard from more than one physician, when I ask about it, that doctors don't really start taking hyponatremia seriously until it gets really bad (like at or below 120 mmol/L). 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sodium, depression

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users