Photo

Doing your own blood tests?

blood test

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 leviathans

• 41 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:17 PM

I find it so annoying that we always have to refer to our doctor to do anything. It would be incredible if we could do some blood testing ourselves. I never heard of anyone doing this.
I know we can get blood testing from companies too but it would be great to be able to do frequent specific tests ourselves to be able to adjust the dosage of a supplement/drug so that we achieve the best concentration of what we want.

I don't have any revenue right now, but I'd be curious to know if this would be doable in the future.

-Where could we find a reference book that explains how to do some blood tests?
-What material do we need? (a centrifuge I guess, but is there something else?

#2 tornpie

• 56 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:25 AM

This has been on my wish list for some time now. It's such a pain in the ass working with doctors. Unfortunately, my finances currently prohibit me from in investing in the equipment. I did some precursory searching and refurbished blood and urine analysis setups were within reason. For personal testing, one can go old school and not have to have an automated behemoth that labs and hospitals use to test hundreds or thousands of samples. It would be nice to have someone more knowledgeable or perhaps have done it post a DIY article on this. If we could get the harder core members on here to diligently test themselves and post their findings, we could probably have some neat insights into what's working, how it's working, and who knows what else. Besides infrequent blood tests from doctors, the only other concrete way to get a little more rigorous that I can think of off hand is 23andme. I hope to see this thread develop into something neat.

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 leviathans

• Topic Starter
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:13 PM

This has been on my wish list for some time now. It's such a pain in the ass working with doctors. Unfortunately, my finances currently prohibit me from in investing in the equipment. I did some precursory searching and refurbished blood and urine analysis setups were within reason. For personal testing, one can go old school and not have to have an automated behemoth that labs and hospitals use to test hundreds or thousands of samples. It would be nice to have someone more knowledgeable or perhaps have done it post a DIY article on this. If we could get the harder core members on here to diligently test themselves and post their findings, we could probably have some neat insights into what's working, how it's working, and who knows what else. Besides infrequent blood tests from doctors, the only other concrete way to get a little more rigorous that I can think of off hand is 23andme. I hope to see this thread develop into something neat.

Thanks for supporting this thread! I'm sure that some hardcore members would be willing to (me included when I get the money). We just need to find a knowledgeable person to tell us how it works...

Here's some stuff to try to convince other members about the usefulness of this :

Having our blood testing material would be also really useful for experimenting with supplements/drugs that affect hormones. Often people say to not mess with hormones because it is highly unpredictable and you have to wait for too long to get blood tests done. But if one could do it's own hormone blood test every 1,2 or 3 days, we could asses exactly how the supplement/drug is affecting the hormones. I know that someone here used DHEA and ended with too much estrogen. If he had been able to monitor is hormones, he would have stopped much earlier. We could even try to micromanage things to see what happens.
Also, we could finally know how much IU is needed to get a good vitamin D levels.

Even better, as a future Statistician, I could build statistical models for predicting the change in a variable (measurable by blood testing) from the intake of some supplement/drug. This could leads us to find good dosage that would work for most people.

#4 leviathans

• Topic Starter
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:17 PM

Ok, from my little research I found a couple of things that might be useful.
There are multiple types of analyzers : Chemistry, Electrolyte, Hematology, Immunoassay and urinalysis analyzers. The prices are highly variable.
I think the most useful one is the immunoassay analyzer. The trouble is finding one which can test for the most interesting things and that is not extremely costly.

There seems to be some analyzers at reasonable (that's subjective) prices : http://www.labx.com/...d.cfm?catid=416
From this site we see the Abbot AxSYM sold for 10k and here the menu : http://international...s.cfm?sys_id=71
Sadly Vitamin D is only in the more costly Abbot ARCHITECT : http://international....cfm?sys_id=164
One old version called Abbot IMx is also sold at 4k and it can do some tests.

Isn't it cool that we could do our own cancer analysis ? Testing for cancer and cardiac functions every month at home seems to me as a much better solution than taking some longevity supplement.

I have to stop searching for these things since I have to study. If anybody find anything interesting, post it here. There must exists some small-scale less costly analyzers.

#5 August59

• 66 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:05 AM

LabsMD.com or Private MD Labs might be of some help on blood work.

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 SuicidalTraveler

• 25 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:53 PM

Push.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blood test

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users