• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

What blood tests are recommended for health check-up?

blood test

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 illerrre

• 51 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 February 2023 - 11:34 AM

So, I want to make as thorough of a blood test as I can to cover everything except for allergies and STDs. Just as a health check-up. To know that my diet and lifestyle is fine. To see if I'm at any risk of developing any diseases. You know, to make sure my body is in perfect condition.

I reached out to a lab and they advised me to get: 

1. Biochemistry (full) & Haematology CBC 5 Diff 
  2. TFT / thyroid function test 
  3. CEA/CA19-9

Since I know very little about this, would you say that this covers everything? 

I found one source (not sure if I can link or not) recommending to test the following:

• 25-Hydroxy-Vitamin D
  • Apolipoprotein A-1
  • Apolipoprotein B
  • Blood Lead
  • Blood Mercury
  • Cardio IQ Lipoprotein Fractionation, Ion Mobility
  • Complete Blood Count w/ differential
  • Complete Metabolic Panel
  • Copper
  • Cortisol
  • Dehydroepiandrosterone Sulfate
  • Ferritin, serum
  • Fibrinogen
  • Folate
  • Free Fatty Acids
  • Hemoglobin A1c
  • Homocysteine
  • High-sensitivity C-reactive protein
  • IGF-1 (Growth hormone surrogate)
  • Insulin
  • Iron, TIBC
  • Lipid Panel
  • Lipoprotein (a)
  • Lipoprotein-associated Phospholipase A2
  • Luteininzing Hormone
  • Omega 3 Fatty Acids
  • RBC Magnesium
  • Reverse T-3
  • Selenium
  • SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin)
  • T-3 Total
  • T-3 Uptake
  • T-4 (Thyroxine)
  • T-3 Free
  • T-4 Free
  • Testosterone + Free Testosterone
  • Thiamine
  • Thyroglobulin Antibodies
  • Thyroid Peroxidase AB
  • TSH
  • Uric Acid
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B12
  • Zinc
  • Estradiol

Would all of this be included in the tests I was recommended to take?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

//Mattias

#2 pamojja

• 2,841 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 08:49 AM

You also have to educate yourself what the results of these blood test actually could mean. Heavymetal in blood is usually useless, most of the time heavy metals are secure stored away in other body tissue, but not blood. Additional everyone in our modern times has some. The heavy metal provokation blood test will most of the time find some. So one anyway should try to eleminate toxins the natural and not neccessarily provokation way - which could redistribute them to tissues where they cause worse. Chelation only under the personal guidance of someone trustworthy. total T3 and T4 are useless.

Otherwise your list covers most.

#3 illerrre

• Topic Starter
  • 51 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 February 2023 - 10:51 AM

You also have to educate yourself what the results of these blood test actually could mean. Heavymetal in blood is usually useless, most of the time heavy metals are secure stored away in other body tissue, but not blood. Additional everyone in our modern times has some. The heavy metal provokation blood test will most of the time find some. So one anyway should try to eleminate toxins the natural and not neccessarily provokation way - which could redistribute them to tissues where they cause worse. Chelation only under the personal guidance of someone trustworthy. total T3 and T4 are useless.

Otherwise your list covers most.

Thanks for reply!

Yes, of course. Once I get the results I will analyze them. I'm expecting I will get reference values of what would be considered normal and if I'm outside any of those, I'll look it up.

The question I have remaining is, will the blood tests I was proposed cover the list? Do you know?

1. Biochemistry (full) & Haematology CBC 5 Diff 
  2. TFT / thyroid function test 
  3. CEA/CA19-9

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 09:26 PM

Does the biochemistry (full) cover lipids, cholesterol, and other heart health markers?

#5 pamojja

• 2,841 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 09:00 AM

I'm expecting I will get reference values of what would be considered normal and if I'm outside any of those, I'll look it up.
The question I have remaining is, will the blood tests I was proposed cover the list? a

You'll have to ask the lab itself. Since each lab sells different bundles of lab tests under their designation. For example I see RDWs in CBCs included - complete blood counts - in mine they haven't been even once, by different labs.

I'm expecting I will get reference values of what would be considered normal and if I'm outside any of those, I'll look it up.

As said. Educate yourself what 'normal' means. With most lab-test normal its a statistical construct, where 95% of lab result of all tested are arbitrarily considered normal, the remaining tiny fraction above and below as abnormal, like in an Gausean curve:

Attached File  1660579038-334305-sep-2-2018jpg-1024x576.png   49.82KB   0 downloads

In reality most lab tests are done on people with health problems, some consider nowadays only about 1 in 10 metabolicaly healthy. Therefore normal in a lab-test only means your are 'normal', as an average unhealthy. With advancing age usually suffering CVD or cancer.

Therefore some try to tweak to references which are shown in the literature to correlate with longevity. Like LabTestAnalyser by Joe Cohen, a commercial service which manually sifted through as much as possible of literature to find such more telling reference range.

Just as one example on ALT already outdated 5 years, for not infringing on copyright:

ALT

Also known as:
Alanine aminotransferase, ALT (SGPT)

The alanine aminotransferase (ALT) test measures the amount of ALT enzyme in the blood

ALT is an enzyme involved in the breakdown of proteins for energy in the body. It is mainly found in the liver, but also in smaller amounts in the kidney, heart, muscles, fat tissue, intestines, and pancreas [R].

Normally, ALT levels in the blood are low. However, when the liver is injured, ALT is released into the bloodstream [R].

ALT levels vary with gender, with higher values in men compared to women [R].

An ALT test is done to monitor liver health and determine if the liver is damaged or diseased [R].
Range

U/L

Low < 6.99

Sub-Optimal 7 - 16.99

Optimal 17 - 30

Supra-optimal 30.01 - 40

High > 40.01
Normal

Your ALT is within the normal range!

According to your ALT levels, you have a healthy liver and should be able to metabolize and absorb the proper nutrients from the food you eat.

You also have the lowest risk of all-cause mortality, and liver and heart disease-associated mortality [R, R, R, R, R].
Low

Your ALT levels are below normal!

Low ALT blood levels may indicate a vitamin B6 deficiency, but in general are not a cause for concern.

However, values in this range increase your risk of all-cause mortality [R, R].

ALT levels decrease with age [R].

Low ALT can be caused by:

· Physical activity [R]

· Coffee consumption [R]

· Smoking [R]

· Oral contraceptives [R]

· Hormonal replacement therapy [R]

· Vitamin B6 deficiency [R]

· Dialysis [R]

Green tea extract and milk thistle supplements also decrease ALT levels [R, R]

In general, you will not experience any symptoms. If the low ALT levels are due to a vitamin B6 deficiency, you may experience [R]:

· Depression

· Anxiety

· Weak immune system

· Irritability

Increase vitamin B6 intake - If the low levels are due to a vitamin B6 deficiency, consume more food sources of vitamin B6 such as organ meats, peanuts, legumes, potatoes and bananas [R].

Avoid smoking, as it can decrease vitamin B6 levels [R].

Reduce your coffee consumption [R].

Supplements that can help:

· Vitamin B6 (if deficient) [R]
High

Your ALT is above normal!

High levels of ALT in the blood may indicate a problem with the liver.

High ALT increases:

· Liver disease and liver-disease mortality [R, R, R]

· All-cause and heart disease mortality [R, R]

· Diabetes-related mortality [R]

Mexican-Americans had a higher prevalence of elevated ALT levels compared to other ethnicities [R, R].

High ALT can be caused by:

· Excessive alcohol intake [R]

· Strenuous exercise [R]

· 2nd trimester in normal pregnancy [R]

· Liver disease or damage [R]

· Muscle disease or injury [R, R]

· Lead or mercury exposure [R]

· Pesticide exposure [R]

· Iron overload [R]

· Too much copper in the body (Wilson’s disease) [R]

· Gallstones and gallstone induced pancreatic inflammation (pancreatitis) [R, R]

· Underactive and overactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism) [R, R]

· Surgery [R, R]

· Burns [R]

· Anorexia [R]

· Mononucleosis (“kissing disease”)[R]

Drugs that elevate ALT levels include:

· Cholesterol-lowering drugs (e.g., statins) [R]

· Acetaminophen(Tylenol, Panadol) [R]

· Antibiotics [R]

· Antituberculosis drugs [R]

· Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (i.e., aspirin) [R, R]

· Chemotherapy [R]

· Opioids [R]

Supplements can also increase ALT, such as:

· Kava [R]

· Black cohosh [R]

· Red yeast rice [R]

· Iron [R]

· Aloe [R]

You may or may not experience any symptoms, depending on the underlying cause of the high ALT levels. If liver disease is the source, you may experience symptoms like [R, R, R]:

· Yellowing of the skin and eyes (jaundice)

· Dark-colored urine

· Nausea and vomiting

· Chills

· Fever

· Loss of appetite

· Weakness/fatigue

· Disorientation or confusion

Seek medical attention for any underlying condition!

Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is a condition commonly associated with obesity and metabolic syndrome. Excessive intake of soft drinks, and foods with high fructose corn syrup can lead to insulin resistance and NAFLD. Limit fatty foods such as meats, processed foods, fried foods, fast foods and dairy. Opt for salads with grilled lean meats like chicken and fish [R, R].

Drinking moderate amounts of coffee (regardless of caffeine content) on a regular basis may benefit liver health and lower liver enzymes in the blood, such as ALT [R, R].

Attempt to buy organic meats and vegetables whenever possible to avoid the chemical additives and pesticides [R].

Increase foods that can help detoxify the liver and kidneys such as asparagus, cabbage, and broccoli [R].

Go to the sauna - saunas are beneficial for decreasing toxins in the body. Sweating is your body’s method of detoxification [R].

Refrain from drinking alcohol - Over consumption of alcohol can directly damage liver cells and worsen existing liver conditions. Avoid drinking alcohol until your ALT levels return to the normal range, even if the cause is not alcohol related [R].

Review your medications - some drugs or supplements can damage the liver, leading to high ALT levels. Have a doctor or pharmacist review your medications to see if any could be harmful to the liver [R, R].

Excess iron buildup in your body (called hemochromatosis) can lead to elevated levels of liver enzymes too — this may be an issue if you're getting iron shots from your doctor to combat iron-deficiency anemia [R].

Supplements that can help:

· Alpha lipoic acid [R]

· Green tea extract [R]

· Milk thistle [R]

· Probiotics [R]

· N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) [R]

· Tudca [R]

· Curcumin [R]

· Capsaicin [R]

#6 pamojja

• 2,841 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 09:11 AM

On the other hand, functional medicine practitioners use references by part from clinical practice and literature, and use more telling 'optimal' lab ranges, from where one can be more certain that no disease process has already started, which in decades from now would lead to chronic diseases.

Personally I use Cohens and from functional medicine practitioners found online in various places.

Than one has to understand that each blood-test is a time-shot of very dynamic and interconnected bodily processes. For example, to maintain bodily process most important for immatiate survival, while others possibly on backburner. So nothing really 'wrong' about once off values. The real picure is only seen with as many as possible different tests covering as many bodily systems as possible, see their interconnection, their direction over time, and don't freak out at off results. Might only be a lab error.

#7 illerrre

• Topic Starter
  • 51 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 February 2023 - 06:55 PM

Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

I will have https://www.labtestanalyzer.com/ analyze my results.

#8 illerrre

• Topic Starter
  • 51 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 February 2023 - 07:00 PM

Does the biochemistry (full) cover lipids, cholesterol, and other heart health markers?

When I asked initially, they wrote that it covers:

renal, liver, muscles, iron, ldh and other enzymes and haematology will calculate such as hgb, infections and so on. 

And so on sounds ambitious. 

#9 illerrre

• Topic Starter
  • 51 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 February 2023 - 07:29 PM

I checked what the Healthline website recommends as test and I noticed that my above list didn't have the following three:

• Cardiac biomarkers (like Creatine kinase, Creatine kinase-MB, Troponin)
  • Coagulation panel
  • C-reactive protein test

How important are these to include as well? 

#10 pamojja

• 2,841 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 08:36 AM

CRP or highsensitive CRP is one of the most rudimentary inflammation marker, beside ESR - erythrocytes sedimentation rate. I would include both with every blood check.

Cardiac and coagulation I would check at least once, especially now with covid and the mRNA vaccines.

#11 illerrre

• Topic Starter
  • 51 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 February 2023 - 01:15 PM

Well, this quickly escalated.

I sent the lab the list of my original post and they told me that testing for all of this would cost around $6,000.

And this is without Cardiac biomarkers and ESR.

There is no way I can afford that. 

Not sure what to test for now and what not to test for. What is most important.

I am 35 by the way. 

My knowledge is limited, but Thyroid I definitely want to test for since I have some symptoms (like high metabolism). Since there's a lot of talk about keeping your blood sugar levels normal throughout the day for longevity, I think insulin and blood glucose would be relevant as well? Then from there, I don't really know. 

I spend all this time on perfecting my diet, doing the right supplements, working out and fasting, but without knowing my biological age or how my body is doing I can not know if I'm on the right path or not. 

#12 illerrre

• Topic Starter
  • 51 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 February 2023 - 02:48 PM

Got this reply from the lab 

"In everything we do, we must always start from the simple things to check our health status. If you check on our website, the most ideal profile is the one of the 135euros, which covers hematological studies, cardiac, glucose, pancreatic/amylase inflammation (HS-CRP & ESR), lipids, renal, liver especially Iron and LDH which are indicative of lot of things.

If this profile results to be normal, do no need to proceed more than that, unless you feel fine."

#13 pamojja

• 2,841 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 05:07 PM

Well, this quickly escalated.

I sent the lab the list of my original post and they told me that testing for all of this would cost around $6,000.

Get a regular check at your GP and ask him to test for you most relevant. That way usually some tests are already covered. If neccesary, make up some syptoms to get the doc interested in his own interest what is going on.

My knowledge is limited, but Thyroid I definitely want to test for since I have some symptoms (like high metabolism). Since there's a lot of talk about keeping your blood sugar levels normal throughout the day for longevity, I think insulin and blood glucose would be relevant as well? Then from there, I don't really know.

free T3 is the most important. once that is off other thyroid tests could make sense.

Blood glucose is most accurately tested at its peak usually 1 hour after meals. Since each meal is different any your blood glucose is different after each meal, test a number of different meals with different composition. A cheap blood glucose monitor is about 15,-, teststrips to cost about 0,50. with 140 mg/dl one hour after a meal you're prediabetic and a doctor would order other glucose metabolism tests.

#14 pamojja

• 2,841 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 05:25 PM

illerrre, on 20 Feb 2023 - 8:18 PM, said:

Got this reply from the lab

"In everything we do, we must always start from the simple things to check our health status. If you check on our website, the most ideal profile is the one of the 135euros, which covers hematological studies, cardiac, glucose, pancreatic/amylase inflammation (HS-CRP &amp; ESR), lipids, renal, liver especially Iron and LDH which are indicative of lot of things.

If this profile results to be normal, do no need to proceed more than that, unless you feel fine."

Hematological is CBC. Makes always sense.
Cardiac is usually ldl, hdl and trygycerides. To save money a tryglyceride test as a start would do. its the most important of the 3, since it tells if you whether your ldl is for a larger part large and fluffy, or dense and small (like the expensive Lipoprotein Fractionation you mentioned in OP).
Fasting glucose doesn't mostly even catch prediabetes, as mentioned in above post. Glycated hemoglobin would give an aproximation of the average blood glucose levels of the last three month, and as such much more telling than a single fasting glucose.
Hope renal includes the most of a usual kidney panel, and i do consider important. If ldh is the only liver enzym tested, than better get a better lab. All Liverenzyms are important.
Ferritin instead of iron. Crp is important.

On my yearly vacation to South-india (except during 2 years corona) i usually get such basic blood tests as offered to you for about 20,-.

#15 pamojja

• 2,841 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 05:54 PM

With past diagnosis of PAD, COPD and ME/CFS symptoms, my GP does usually from your initial list in OP of about 50 blood tests, 36 paid by insurance for me.

Some not available, or my GP not understanding its usefulness, I do selectively order from a speciallity lab. But here too i buy only affordable ones, like some minerals in whole blood (RBC is not available here, for example magnesium, zinc, copper), oxidized ldl, methylmalonic acid, vitamin k and CoQ10, GSH-px or SOD; for not more than 200,-€.

When HTMA was available to me for under 100,-, i also did those for 8 consequtive years.

#16 pamojja

• 2,841 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 06:27 PM

So that you can save the money on labtestanalyser for now, here screenshots of my lab-reverence ranges - from left to right: labtestanalyser | normal ranges of my labs | optimal ranges from functional medicine practitioner (different sources online)

Attached File  Screenshot_20230216-132758~2.png   175.96KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Screenshot_20230216-132915~2.png   167.73KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Screenshot_20230216-132934~2.png   166.76KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Screenshot_20230216-132949~2.png   154.51KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Screenshot_20230216-133014~2.png   180.39KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Screenshot_20230216-133027~2.png   175.79KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Screenshot_20230216-133116~2.png   158.81KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Screenshot_20230216-133139~2.png   91.87KB   0 downloads

#17 illerrre

• Topic Starter
  • 51 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 February 2023 - 09:14 PM

I can't express enough how grateful how I am for the help. 

I have a long way to go from when I started this thread, but I've also learnt a lot and come quite a bit on my "blood test" document (I always document everything).

Many, many thanks.

Edited by illerrre, 20 February 2023 - 09:14 PM.

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blood test

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users