• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Why does my blood test come back as normal but I react good to supplements?

blood test

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 July 2019 - 03:40 AM

My blood tests were normal according to my doctors I've had in the past, had it tested by like 5 different doctors, they all say everything looked normal even tho I feel like shit and they don't really tell me what they check for, but they said ''the basic stuff'' so I assume vitamins, minerals and such. I have experimented with Magnesium and B12 supplements and I feel a huge relief, how come? If my tests were normal then why am I feeling better on these?

Edited by farshad, 24 July 2019 - 03:41 AM.

#2 Oinen

• Registrant
  • 23 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 July 2019 - 04:22 AM

Maybe have a DNA test done?

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 July 2019 - 04:56 AM

Like the 23andme? I have done that and didn't find much.

I'm starting to think these tests doctors do are useless.

Edited by farshad, 24 July 2019 - 04:58 AM.

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 08:02 AM

My blood tests were normal according to my doctors I've had in the past, had it tested by like 5 different doctors, they all say everything looked normal even tho I feel like shit and they don't really tell me what they check for

In my case too with chronic disease (PAD) my doc's said all is basically fine, as long I take prescribed statin and aspirin. However, I learnt that most 'normal' blood range which doc's look for are just statistical constructs, by assuming 95% of the tested population as normal. Only the upper and lower 2.5% are considered abnormal blood-test results. Totally oblivious of the fact, that in actuality most going to the doc for getting tested, do so for existig health issues. And aren't normal.

There are however also 'optimal' functional medicine ranges for most common blood tests, or since last year labtestanalyzer.com sieves through the literature to find all scientifically valitated optimal lab range (a 35,- per half year service; giving suggestion on how to alter abnormal results with life-style and supplements. all with study references right there. An example what was recommented to my normal blood-test results you could find after scrolling down at my regimen page).

You have to become more proactive. You have to visit all past docs who took blood-tests and request copies for each, going back as far as possible. At least in my country they are obliged to provide, beside a small fee for the copies. Though in my case I also started to request tests which aren't commonly done, in general the most basic CBC, electrolytes, liver and kidney enzyms, cholesterol panel and glucose does already tell a lot (with optimal ranges; not assuming just 0.01 points above abnormal is 'normal').

After knowing what you already have been tested for and where your weeknesses are (after a steep learning curve), you may request less often ordered blood-test giving more insight. Like more of the inflammation markers: beside CRP, ESR, also homocysteine and fibrinogen. Beside cholesterols also ApoA, ApoB and Lipoportein(a). Beside a fasting glucose also fasting insulin, C-peptide and HbA1c. All the missing liver and kidney markers. Thyroid hormones and androgens, and so on.

DNA at this stage would be overkill in my view. It only shows where the potentials are. To see if they epigenetically have been triggered, how to influence them with life-style and supplements again, one still needs blood-tests. And that regularly to see one's intervention are working.

For example, if a DNA test would show problems with MTHFR, one still has to do repeated homocysteines for seeing at particular doses of supplements it is corrected. For that no DNA test is neccesary. Doesn't show your actual problems (but only potentialy), and you better use that money for blood-test you're doc for some reason is unwilling to order. Like the most sensitive MMA for vitamin B12 (the moment you supplemented B12 serum B12 will always be above normal, not indicating at all if it's thereby also metabolised sufficiently). Or RBC Magnesium (serum Mg is totally unrelyable for finding deficiency, since it's tightly regulated in serum).

Edited by pamojja, 24 July 2019 - 08:14 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blood test

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users