• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

will a MRI scan show whats wrong with my brain ?

brain mri scan

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:28 AM

Can I do a MRI scan to see what could be causing my anxiety? it should show right? whats neurons are being fired or whatever? how much can a MRI scan show?

#2 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:02 AM

MRI scans are not as good as FUNCTIONAL mri-scans - with fMRI, one can see what kind of activity is abnormal when you think about things that give you anxiety - you won't achieve the same kind of data with regular MRI.

MRI however can see generic alterations of the STRUCTURE of the brain - sometimes we already know what these alterations in structure mean, i.e they correspond to a diagnosis, such as Schizophrenia or depression.

If you're looking to target actual activity, then you need an fMRI - Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging -scan.

• Agree x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:19 PM

hm so it seems like its impossible to get a fMRI  scan unless u participate in a study? .... how much does it cost anyway

#4 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:40 PM

I've already told you how to manage anxiety and improve your situation dramatically. I realize it's not easy to do and it takes a long time. Nothing is wrong with your brain, it's likely functioning as it would for anyone were you to NOT get consistent, good quality sleep, 150 minutes of exercise per week consistently, plenty of soluble fiber in your diet (microbiome), gobs of social interaction with groups, sports and/or creative activities. If you're crutching with drugs like alcohol or weed it's probably not going to help at all in the long run and will only hurt indirectly via all the aforementioned fixes. This is because you can't build skills in these areas when you're blitzed. Please start there. I realize this is a daunting, long term solution but if you don't have those things in order then that is what is wrong with your brain. I can't emphasize this enough and I see all my friends around me complaining about the same thing yet they follow NONE of that stuff. They isolate, they stay on the couch, watch shows or play video games, all day long and don't go outside or get involved with things. Doing all that is how you make yourself anxious and stressed out constantly because everything becomes that much harder to deal with. The only way you can become less anxious about every day things is to do those things you are anxious about more often, become more skilled and thus eventually confident in doing them.

Wanna fix this? Start with those things. I assume you're young. The only pills I can recommend are vitamin D. 

I have a whole guide on how to get a handle on all these things.

Edited by Nate-2004, 24 March 2018 - 04:44 PM.

• Good Point x 3
  • Off-Topic x 2
  • unsure x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Agree x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#5 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:46 PM

Oh come on now, this is SO ON topic that it's crushing the topic into a solution.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 3
  • Good Point x 3
  • Agree x 2
  • Unfriendly x 1

#6 Finn

• 135 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:16 PM

Some earlier post of farshad

http://www.longecity...sleep-deprived/

http://www.longecity...-to-go-outside/

He also mentioned somewhere that he feels less anxiety when he has physical illness. 

What is common between all these things, being tired, going to gym, being physicallly ill, leaving the house, that all those things distract you from winding yourself up, they all distract you from thinking your anxiety, and gaining more anxiety through anxiety about your anxiety. 

Your risky drug dosing, and impatient reporting of your pharma experience, "5 minutes since popping the pill, anxiety still there" "Few hours gone, anxiety still there going to pop more pills" type of comments are further indication of anxiety about anxiety, getting anxious about being anxious.

http://www.socialanx...600-mg-1666089/

http://www.longecity...ygdala-activity

my lithium arrived took 20mg on the directions It says 1 tablet provides 131mg lithium orotate with 5mg elemntal lithium. so I dont know which dosage type to refer it as. But I took 4 tablets which is 20mg elemntal lithium and 524mg litihum orotate.

nothing yet but is been like 5 mins.

(edit) still nothing been like 2 hours...

I took 10mg methylne blue.. didnt seem to be doing anything. I have now took 4mg guanfacine not much so far.

(edit) took 50mg of bromantane... Nothing yet.. are you supposed to feel the effect immediatly?

I appericate you guys help but your making it too complicated. its not PSTD. Its not autism. I belive I have some sort of unknown rare mutation .

So "unknown rare mutation" is less complicated than actually established diagnosis? Anyway, thought of having "unknow rare mutation" or unknown rare disorder is pretty much always a result of obsessive or delusional thinking resulting from some established disorder or condition. 

Recommend following Nate-2004's advice.

Edited by Finn, 24 March 2018 - 06:36 PM.

• Good Point x 3
  • Unfriendly x 1
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • like x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#7 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:43 PM

DAMN! Can I FUCKING make a thread without u guys fucking ruining it all the time? mind ur own buisness fuck sake.. let me do what I wanna.. at this point this is harassment ..

Edited by farshad, 24 March 2018 - 06:53 PM.

• Unfriendly x 3
  • Disagree x 2
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#8 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:00 PM

People will do what they want to do, ignoring the actual answers staring them in the face until they're so fed up that they actually try those things. No, an FMRI will not tell you what you want to hear. Sorry. 

And no, the basic advice I gave has nothing to do with distraction and everything to do with cortisol regulation, stress resilience on multiple levels, BDNF production and greatly improving anxiety through exposure therapy and skill building. This is all pretty much established and why anyone wouldn't start with the basics before looking for other options is sort of silly.

Also, I'm not just responding to his post here but ALL his other posts on literally the same topic. 

Edited by Nate-2004, 24 March 2018 - 08:11 PM.

• Well Written x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#9 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:42 PM

I've already told you how to manage anxiety and improve your situation dramatically. I realize it's not easy to do and it takes a long time. Nothing is wrong with your brain, it's likely functioning as it would for anyone were you to NOT get consistent, good quality sleep, 150 minutes of exercise per week consistently, plenty of soluble fiber in your diet (microbiome), gobs of social interaction with groups, sports and/or creative activities. If you're crutching with drugs like alcohol or weed it's probably not going to help at all in the long run and will only hurt indirectly via all the aforementioned fixes. This is because you can't build skills in these areas when you're blitzed. Please start there. I realize this is a daunting, long term solution but if you don't have those things in order then that is what is wrong with your brain. I can't emphasize this enough and I see all my friends around me complaining about the same thing yet they follow NONE of that stuff. They isolate, they stay on the couch, watch shows or play video games, all day long and don't go outside or get involved with things. Doing all that is how you make yourself anxious and stressed out constantly because everything becomes that much harder to deal with. The only way you can become less anxious about every day things is to do those things you are anxious about more often, become more skilled and thus eventually confident in doing them.

Wanna fix this? Start with those things. I assume you're young. The only pills I can recommend are vitamin D. 

I have a whole guide on how to get a handle on all these things.

You do know that he has a diagnosis of Autism, yes? And if that diagnosis isn't correct, then he is most likely Schizotypal - with either such a diagnosis, your advice could be nearly pointless - social interaction will cause confusion, distress and finally anxiety for him, almost no matter what, if this is true. (which it most likely is)

He either neds friends that are autistic (if he has autism) or simply to be left alone by as many as possible. (and given sufficient support when there's no other recourse but social interaction)

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#10 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:43 PM

I didn't know that no, I've read a number of his posts but not the one stating that. The degree and type of autism matters. I'm even mildly autistic but the advice I've given has helped me immensely. Knowing his condition though helps and I probably would have at least made that caveat. 

I'm going to stop posting on the boards I think, the rating system is being abused and you're right, I'm pointlessly wasting my time on reiterating these things.

Edited by Nate-2004, 24 March 2018 - 08:48 PM.

• Well Written x 2
  • Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#11 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:50 PM

DAMN! Can I FUCKING make a thread without u guys fucking ruining it all the time? mind ur own buisness fuck sake.. let me do what I wanna.. at this point this is harassment ..

My impression is not that they are being disruptive on purpose - my impression is that they are trying to help you, by trying to give you greater perspective on your issues - to see them from another light, another angle, if you like.

Please, try to understand - some of the things you have written, can be interpreted in a troubling way - as if you are being too rash, too desperate, and as if you might hurt yourself.

This is my impression as well - that you are too rash with much of your analysis, and many of your experiments.

Please be careful...

• Good Point x 1

#12 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:57 PM

I didn't know that no, I've read a number of his posts but not the one stating that. The degree and type of autism matters. I'm even mildly autistic but the advice I've given has helped me immensely. Knowing his condition though helps and I probably would have at least made that caveat. 

I'm going to stop posting on the boards I think, the rating system is being abused and you're right, I'm pointlessly wasting my time on reiterating these things.

The rating system has always been a bit controversial, and far from perfect... it's been discussed in the past, and to an extent I do agree with you.

But, I don't think you should stop posting, as long as you can express yourself eloquently and convincingly, and above all: if you believe that you can help others.

Of course, there's a tipping point for everything, but I personally don't think you should cease posting all-together - you obviously have a good attitude and wish well for others, as such, you have a great starting point! = )

With that said... some threads just never end well, and some people may not be interested in what you, or I, have to say on any particular subject - but one does not know before one has tried.

For what it's worth btw, I think one of the main problems Farshad has, is that, unlike you and I, he REJECTS his diagnosis, and seems to be in denial that there are things about him that are fundamentally different from the majority population, and that these differences could lead to problems in a society not built to accustom these differences.

Edited by Stinkorninjor, 24 March 2018 - 08:58 PM.

• Good Point x 1

#13 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:58 PM

ok I get that but they dont have to post on every thread of mine telling me this, this is seriously harassment online.. One time is enough. And you can just message me dont have to ruin  my threads. Whatever another thread down the drain. I get what they are saying  and I DONT wanna do It. get that trough you guys thick heads. Besides you guys not my mother so stop acting like it. 

Damage is done. those 2 guys ruined my day, Im in a bad place as it is but they made it worse.

Like I said zyprexa is the only med that worked becus it inhibits CRH  not becuase I have autism...https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/19467289

Edited by farshad, 24 March 2018 - 09:04 PM.

• dislike x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Unfriendly x 1

#14 Finn

• 135 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:24 PM

People will do what they want to do, ignoring the actual answers staring them in the face until they're so fed up that they actually try those things. No, an FMRI will not tell you what you want to hear. Sorry. 

And no, the basic advice I gave has nothing to do with distraction and everything to do with cortisol regulation, stress resilience on multiple levels, BDNF production and greatly improving anxiety through exposure therapy and skill building. This is all pretty much established and why anyone wouldn't start with the basics before looking for other options is sort of silly.

Also, I'm not just responding to his post here but ALL his other posts on literally the same topic. 

Sorry didn't mean to imply that your advice was about distraction.

Just meant that what is common between his own various anxiety reduction experiences, whether constructive like leaving the house and going to gym, or not-so-pleasant like physical illness or being given a strong anti-psychotic drug at hospital, is that all those experiences reduced his anxiety about anxiety.

I hoped might help him to see that his "problem definition" (my anxiety is caused purely by some abnormality in my brain, the only way to fix it is to find this pharmaceutical combo that will instantly push all "the switches" in right way and ends my anxiety, because my anxiety is so bad) that this "problem definition" is part of his problem, it is not the path to solution

http://www.longecity...sleep-deprived/

I was sleepy but instead of sleeping I went to the gym becuase it was like 10am anyway so might aswell be awake the whole day too. But I noticed I felt more happy and confident and less anxiety when I went out . What happens why did I feel less social anxiety? Does cortisol reduce when you dont go to sleep or something?

He kinda seems to have come close to self-discovering benefits of exposure therapy, but unfortunately his obsession pulled him to other direction. 

You do know that he has a diagnosis of Autism, yes? And if that diagnosis isn't correct, then he is most likely Schizotypal 

I generally don't like to make too strong conclusion of single aspect, but his drug dosing and titration is very un-autistic. Autistic people like following instructions and dislike risk taking. Autistic people who feel comfortable self-medicating, they would be very likely to follow titration and dosing guides, some of them would start lower than the recommended starting dose and increase the dosage even slower than the instructions require just to be safe.

Autistic person would be very unlike to do stuff like like farshad has, ordering sertraline and starting at 600 mg and going up to 1000 mg, when the starting dose is 50 mg and maximum is 200 mg. They would be very unlikely to do risky stuff like starting guanfacine, blood pressure medication, at 4 mg, rather than the 1 mg as instructed, while starting MAOI at the same time which would further increase the "knockout" potential, and adding bromantane on top of that as extra wild card. Though I suppose other obsessions could sometimes overwrite these autistic tendencies to follow instructions, or some other comorbidity could overwrite this tendency etc.

Edited by Finn, 24 March 2018 - 10:17 PM.

• Informative x 2
  • Agree x 2

#15 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:08 AM

You do know that he has a diagnosis of Autism, yes? And if that diagnosis isn't correct, then he is most likely Schizotypal 

I generally don't like to make too strong conclusion of single aspect, but his drug dosing and titration is very un-autistic. Autistic people like following instructions and dislike risk taking. Autistic people who feel comfortable self-medicating, they would be very likely to follow titration and dosing guides, some of them would start lower than the recommended starting dose and increase the dosage even slower than the instructions require just to be safe.

Autistic person would be very unlike to do stuff like like farshad has, ordering sertraline and starting at 600 mg and going up to 1000 mg, when the starting dose is 50 mg and maximum is 200 mg. They would be very unlikely to do risky stuff like starting guanfacine, blood pressure medication, at 4 mg, rather than the 1 mg as instructed, while starting MAOI at the same time which would further increase the "knockout" potential, and adding bromantane on top of that as extra wild card. Though I suppose other obsessions could sometimes overwrite these autistic tendencies to follow instructions, or some other comorbidity could overwrite this tendency etc.

Hmm.

These are fine points... but he does say that his diagnosis has been given him by trained professionals - unless he lied (which I don't believe, since he's not fond of this diagnosis, and believes it to be incorrect, as such, mentioning it wouldn't be beneficial in convincing us otherwise) then I do think we must take this assessment into consideration.

You DO have a very good point that he's far more impulsive than any Autistic person I've ever met! And I have at least 3 real-life friends whom have been given the diagnosis through the years, and some acquiaintance with at least 3 more - none display this kind of impulsive, brash behaviour - some of the ways he reasons is more like... well, it's a bit more like people with ADHD or BIPOLAR, would reason - I do know several such people, and have some irrational and impulsive behaviour myself (there's a trend of me being very, very impatient with my drugs - a constant battle to hold back rash changes in dosing or discontinuing) - as you know, I have such a diagnosis, of course.

So, perhaps there's something to this... perhaps Farshad's first diagnosis was not enough, or incorrect - may be he has multiple co-morbidities - ADHD being one, and this is the cause of the great grief plaguing him. Or perhaps, like Gamesguru posited... he doesn't have Autism at all - but something else - something which LOOKS similar to Autism at first glance, but is in reality something else.

His reaction to an antipsychotic does strengthen this hypothesis...

I will say this though - he clearly has difficulties with social interaction - with understanding subtext and nuance in communication - and some of his texts... they are.. ODD... it's hard to put a finger on it, but his syntax is... off, somehow. I have seen similar such writing from individuals with Autism, hence why I bring it up.

If you were to posit your own hypothesis... what would your best guess be? Does he simply have severe OCD and PTSD (which triggers the anxiety) or does he have Autism and, perhaps, Bipolar? Or does he have some form of Schizo-spectrum disorder?

With all this said, I would like to say this: I am somewhat uncomfortable discussing him this way... it feels, as if we are engaging in the online equivalent of speaking over and about someone while he is still in the room - it feels... somewhat rude.

But... perhaps necessary.

@Farshad - I apologize if this is upsetting to you, or if we seem cold and detached to your plight.

I assure you, that is not the intention, at least not my own, and I do not believe, anyone else in the thread (including our friend Finn) - we simply want to help, and this could be a way of doing so.

• Good Point x 1

#16 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:08 AM

What do you guys wanna get out of this?

Edited by farshad, 25 March 2018 - 01:09 AM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#17 Erdosain

• 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:48 AM

What do you guys wanna get out of this?

Hi, Farshad. Haven't read the thread, 'cause I searched for "SPECT" and it seems no one happened to mention that. MRI will basically show the anatomy of your brain. fMRI will show reactions in real time, which might make difficult getting valuable data. Do some research on SPECT. As far as I know Daniel Amen is the pioneer in brain SPECT scans, but I only know his literature and never got diagnosed nor treated by him (nor anyone working for his clinics). Try doing some research on that and see if it seems promising to you.

SPECT scans of anxiety & depression: https://www.amenclin...ety-depression/

Good luck.

Edited by Erdosain, 25 March 2018 - 02:50 AM.

• like x 1

#18 John Bumpus

• 22 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:38 PM

Just to add to the conversation, another method that may help identify, outside of radiation techniques, would be through qEEG. Quantitative Electroencephalograph. It allows the brain's "happenings" to be mapped out. It's much more available then fMRI for anxiety. As far as I know, MRI and fMRI are for structural identification and not for activity. Anxiety is a state of being. 

An EEG uses surface sensors to detect the brain’s electrical patterns (brainwaves). Much like a heart monitor which only records your heart rate, the sensors only record the electrical activity of the brain; it is not invasive in any way. 

qEEG is often used with Neurofeedback. I believe the whole method is called "QEEG LoRETA Z-Score Neurometric Brain Mapping". I learned about this in a neuroplasticity course.

I hope you find some solutions that you feel will help soon. 

• like x 1

#19 Erdosain

• 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:47 PM

Just to add to the conversation, another method that may help identify, outside of radiation techniques, would be through qEEG. Quantitative Electroencephalograph. It allows the brain's "happenings" to be mapped out. It's much more available then fMRI for anxiety. As far as I know, MRI and fMRI are for structural identification and not for activity. Anxiety is a state of being. 

An EEG uses surface sensors to detect the brain’s electrical patterns (brainwaves). Much like a heart monitor which only records your heart rate, the sensors only record the electrical activity of the brain; it is not invasive in any way. 

qEEG is often used with Neurofeedback. I believe the whole method is called "QEEG LoRETA Z-Score Neurometric Brain Mapping". I learned about this in a neuroplasticity course.

I hope you find some solutions that you feel will help soon. 

You are right MRI provides structural information, but fMRI (as "f" suggests) provides strictly functional information. The thing is, you can see brain functioning in real time, which makes is harder to establish patterns. EEG always provides valuable information, but it really goes in the lines of added value. Brain waves aren't  unequivocal, you need some blood flow patterns to better establish where them problem stems from.

Nice to see you around, John!

OH, BTW, check this gadget out. I've been dying to get this for years, but I really can't afford such a treat right now :/ https://www.emotiv.com/epoc/

Edited by Erdosain, 30 March 2018 - 01:48 PM.

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#20 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:54 PM

Im getting a brain scan soon an MRI 

I read about some others... which ones would be the best? I copied and pasted this text below.. most of them seem very similar.. atleast from the description, like the FMRI and QEEG.

any other types of brain scans ive missed that have not been listed so far?

copyNpasted text:

Like a fMRI maps brain activity ,it sees which areas become active when you do certain tasks.

An EEG detects brain wave activity and functioning , our neurons fire off electrical stimuli which is detected and recorded by this machine. It is then read or analyzed by expert physicians who would look for electrical abnormalities in the results or findings.

qEEG (Quantitative Electroencephalograph) allows the brain's "happenings" to be mapped out

MRI however can see generic alterations of the STRUCTURE of the brain.

Single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) is a form of non-invasive nuclear imaging used in order to determine how organs inside the body work. The scan can be used to illustrate how, for example, the blood flows into the heart and chemical reactions that are happening in the body.

Edited by farshad, 06 April 2018 - 05:55 PM.

#21 BlueCloud

• 540 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:24 PM

Farshad, have you considered that your anxiety may not be completely "abnormal" , but actually a partially normal reaction to your environment ? I'm saying this as someone who has been dealing with anxiety and insomnia issues for the biggest part of my life, and having lived on 3 continents.

In some cultures, social interaction can be really hard. Based on your name, you are not  originally from Sweden ( your location ), and Scandinavian countries aren't exactly known for being super-duper social and communicative. Bergman couldn't have been Italian or Brazilian. It seems you are pushing and punishing yourself for not being super-sociable in a society that actually isn't known for sociability. It would be different if you were living, say in Spain, or in many middle-east or south-americas countries, where communication and social interactions between strangers comes easier.

I think you're pushing yourself too hard. I don't think there is anything morbidly genetically mutated in you, as you suggested. Starting by accepting that would be already as step towards achieving a certain balance between you and your environment.

Observe people around you. Are you sure they are feeling more at ease than you ? Could it be that they are just hiding how awkward they feel about communicating with others ? 

Edited by BlueCloud, 06 April 2018 - 08:34 PM.

• Off-Topic x 1
  • like x 1

#22 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:49 PM

Observe people around you. Are you sure they are feeling more at ease than you ? Could it be that they are just hiding how awkward they feel about communicating with others ?

Actually very true, but usually no more perceptible when immersed in this culture for some time.

However, when I came back from a long trip through Africa and South-Asia after 10 years, I was very surprised to find at that point a very perceptible fear of each other here. - Compared to those other continents, where it almost wasn't possible to not get to know someone at every turn or time of the day.

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#23 BlueCloud

• 540 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:11 PM

Im getting a brain scan soon an MRI 

I read about some others... which ones would be the best? 

I guess "Try them all" is the right answer for you ?

#24 Galaxyshock

• 1,460 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:48 AM

Fragile X

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Agree x 1

#25 Benko

• 221 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 11:48 AM

Just noticed this thread.  

farshad

I interpret MRI scans for a living.  Routine MRI scans have nothing to do with diagnosing/treating anxiety.  Anxiety is often/usually a psychological issue, not a structural one, therefore there is nothing to see on anatomic modalities such as routine MRI.  There are secondary physiological changes when one is anxious (from primary psychological reason) , or if one has taken stimulants, and imaging modalities which are able to image these physiological processes, could demonstrate this physiology, but to what end?  It will not help you.

Possible exception: There are people e.g. Dr. Amen mentioned above who do brain imaging and recommend various supplements based on various neurotransmiter systems  e.g. Dopamine, Neuroepinephrine, etc and their status in any given patient, but I don't know if that has any applicability to anxiety, and am skeptical.  

Edited by Benko, 07 April 2018 - 11:49 AM.

• Good Point x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#26 Benko

• 221 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:08 PM

PS

I've already told you how to manage anxiety and improve your situation dramatically. I realize it's not easy to do and it takes a long time. Nothing is wrong with your brain, it's likely functioning as it would for anyone were you to NOT get consistent, good quality sleep, 150 minutes of exercise per week consistently, plenty of soluble fiber in your diet (microbiome), gobs of social interaction with groups, sports and/or creative activities

There are a few things I could add if you're interested e.g. meditation (SPECIFIC KINDS)  I can point you to, but you'll have to be willing and looking for magic bullets is understandably more attractive, but unlikely to help you.

#27 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:13 PM

I interpret MRI scans for a living.

Benko, could you help make me a little bid more sense (not a medical advise) of the MRI results I've got from a neurologist, to which she simply admitted of having no idea. Done to rule out other causes to my mild ME/CFS symptoms (google translate):

Old infarction in the left cerebellum hemisphere mediobasal belonging to the current region of the cerebellar artery posterior inferior (6/40-44) from ap up to 3 cm, tranversal up to 1 <cm and craniokaudal scarcely 2cm size in each largest diameter. Otherwise, the structure and signal behavior of the brain are regular. Regular diffusion ratios. Symmetrical, medium, normal wide supra- and infratentorial ventricular system. The external CSF spaces are normal. Virchow-Rubin's rooms in the typical places. Discretely diverging axes of the bulbi oculorum with closed eyelids. Otherwise the orbits and their contents are regular. Individual delicate mucosal swellings in several ethmoidal cells on the left more pronounced than on the right, and extremely faint on the left forehead. The remaining nasal sinuses and temporal bones on both sides are properly signal-less.

I'm not aware of having had any stroke symptoms ever. Except some occasional vision disturbances between 1992-2006 (for some 20 minutes flickering like the visual snow of an off-line TV at the focus, followed by paresthesia mostly in tongue and parts of the face). I assume it to could have been caused by one of my 4 falciparum malarias (often ending in the dangerous cerebral malaria; 1994-1995), or a complication after a nitrogen intoxication after my only dive down to 40 meters (1995)?

Probably will never know for sure.

PS: Fashad, I hope this one is sufficiently 'on-topic' to your quest. It shows even after some significant findings in an MRI you're on your own again, with the neurologist ordering it unable with the least of interpreting.

Edited by pamojja, 07 April 2018 - 12:38 PM.

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Agree x 1

#28 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:43 PM

@Benko

what if you have a CRH releasing tumor in the hypothalamus? that would cause anxiety. I mean there is a case which they found a person that had one. And thats what I suspect I have so a MRI would be good to find any brain abnormalities. 

Edited by farshad, 07 April 2018 - 01:45 PM.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#29 BlueCloud

• 540 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 05:17 PM

A tumor in your hypothalamus as the cause of your social anxiety.....yes, that sounds reasonable...

The only way to be sure is to get both an MRI, an fMRI, a SPECT, a PET, a DTI, a DOT and a qEEG.  Otherwise you can't be sure.

EDIT: I forgot, you should also get an MRS and a MEG.

I hope this one is on-topic.

Edited by BlueCloud, 07 April 2018 - 06:04 PM.

• Unfriendly x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Benko

• 221 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 02:13 AM

"CRH releasing tumor in the hypothalamus? that would cause anxiety. I mean there is a case "

Seriously?   "There is a case"  and there are 9,999 other cases of anxiety from the usual causes.  

• like x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users