Blank mind with looping music in head?

blank mind looping music

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mastermynd

• 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:14 PM

Hey there, hope everyone's having a great day...

I'm posting this here cause I'm aware there's a lot of intelligent members on this forum and potentially I can get some answers on this mystery of a symptom I've been dealing with. 

For the past 6 months+ or so I've been having constant looping music in my head for basically the entire day. It's not an auditory hallucination or anything it's just an earworm that never goes away. 

Either my mind is almost completely blank or it's a random song looping in my head. I have very little spontaneous thoughts and can't really follow a flow of thought in my mind.

This has left me with really bad focus and my episodic, short term, and long term memory seem to be affected as well. 

I've done some research on this and someone had basically the same symptoms as me and they were diagnosed as having a form of OCD called 'musical obsession' however I'm not sure if that's what I have.

I've thought I potentially have a glutamate dysfunction in my brain because of the lack of thought transmission so I've tried activating the AMPA receptor via Aniracetam and that does actually seem to help and it makes me way more focused and social and I'm also going to try Sarcosine + NAC soon as well in order to activate the NMDA receptor and see if that lowers symptoms. 

Anyone ever heard of this or have any idea what could potentially be going on? Thank you!

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • like x 1

#2 DarkRiver

• 25 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:08 PM

One of the first signs for me that I was getting mentally ill was waking up with insomnia in the middle of the night with with music playing in my head that wouldn't go away. 

When there's music playing in your head that won't go away, most people call it "ear worms" and psychiatrists are likely to label it "intrusive music".

There's one article online written by a psychiatrist who claims that intrusive music is a result of "low serotonin". Other than him I haven't found any sources for that claim.

There's probably an anxiety and/or OCD component to it. I would think the first step to beating it is not caring about it, then your mind will not care if it starts playing. Consider it a weed, and getting stressed about it is like giving it sunshine and water.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Mastermynd

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:02 PM

One of the first signs for me that I was getting mentally ill was waking up with insomnia in the middle of the night with with music playing in my head that wouldn't go away. 

When there's music playing in your head that won't go away, most people call it "ear worms" and psychiatrists are likely to label it "intrusive music".

There's one article online written by a psychiatrist who claims that intrusive music is a result of "low serotonin". Other than him I haven't found any sources for that claim.

There's probably an anxiety and/or OCD component to it. I would think the first step to beating it is not caring about it, then your mind will not care if it starts playing. Consider it a weed, and getting stressed about it is like giving it sunshine and water.

Yeah I learned a long time ago 'what you resists persists' so I've tried not resisting it, it just keeps popping up instead of the normal conversational internal dialogue that's in most people's heads.

Going to be split testing Bacopa, Ashwaghanda, Rhodiola Rosea, to see how those work.

#4 bariotako

• 32 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:31 PM

Earworm = OCD =  problem with serotinin

SSRI should resolve your problem 

• Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:54 PM

I have had this from time-to-time over the last few months. When I am busy and focusing on work or something important, it goes away. It is definitely annoying when it happens, but not debilitating for me.

I speculate is has to do with too much "screen time" which inadvertently trains my brain to constantly attempt to find something "interesting" to latch on to. Meditation helps sometimes.

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#6 Breakthrough

• Registrant
  • 34 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:21 AM

Mastermynd, I suffer from the same condition.  Broadly speaking, I deal with SCT that's become increasingly intrusive and limiting, but I've been dealing with songs looping in my mind for more than a decade. Wish I had the answer at this time, but you're certainly not alone.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blank mind, looping music

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users