• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Impaired internal monologue, loss of inner insight and lack of thought process, has anyone recovered from it?

internal monologue inner voice no thoughts blank mind

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 KiloMan

• 4 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:26 PM

So first I want to mention that English is not my native language and I'm currently in a terrible cognitive state so if something is unclear I'm sorry, I tried to write as accurately as possible.

So a bit of background, I am 18, I've been dealing with depression, social isolation, anxiety for almost a decade and that also resulted in suicidality and derealization, I've taken numerous of medications and been to therapy for years, I won't get too much into it but as the years went on, especially in the last few years, I felt as though my "Internal Monologue" (Inner voice, Internal dialogue, how ever you want to call it) has been shutting down and fading away gradually until I realised I have close to zero self reflection or insight, constant blank mind, no accessible thought process as if my thoughts are quiet and buried inside my head and when I talk there is no conscious planning ahead, reading text doesn't pop random references anymore, I can't analyze whats going on around me in a conscious way, time feels like it's passing too fast, I take my eyes away from the clock and already 2 minutes passed, I cant process information properly, I often find that words come out of my mouth, without me cognitively thinking about it, almost as a reflex.

My question is, can anyone relate to this? did anyone experience such thing and recovered from it? if you did then how?

Now when I say "Inner voice" I'm not talking about the typical voice hallucination stereotype, I'm taking about that healthy relationship with ourselves, how we see ourselves, the critical voice, the analytical voice, the sense of direction in life and decisiveness, the flow of conscious thoughts, the sense of self pretty much, even the negative, anxious and the judging ones.

And please don't say "How did you manage to write this if you lack a thought process etc etc, It's more complicated than that.

Thank you for reading this, please help me if you can.

#2 Valor5

• 289 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:39 AM

I can relate. But I hardly remember what normal is like. Do you suffer from memory problems? Anyhow, I will share with you something I have recently discovered. Diet. The way vegetables, starches, legumes, fruits affect me. There are two doctors that I read Dr. Gundry and Dr. Fuhrman and there are others like him who are nutrition experts. Anyway to cut to the chase there is autoimmune conditions, that can lead to hypothyroidism, leaky gut, gluten sensitivity, undermethylation, orexin suppression, adiponectin elevation, TNF stimulation,...when I have eaten purely vegetables I have felt a difference then when I eat starches or friut. Why? It has to do with something called lectin and the bodies autoimmune response...one causes me to carry out my thoughts and actually have thoughts like a normal person, for example I ate kale leaves with one sweet orange bell pepper and that made me feel noticeably good, so much so I could notice the anxiety in others it was quite striking. I experimented with eating starches horrible reaction, particularly oats, felt tired, sleepy, bloated...anyhow diet is HUGE, imo...I have never realized, but experiment, the vegetables are not going to taste great but they will make you feel great afterwards, try purple cabbage, kale, arugula, spinach, artichoke,...serve yourself a pound of this stuff and eat it, I promise you, you will feel a difference,...I thought I had some sort of diabetes but starches or legumes hurt me because of the lectin in these foods and my autoimmune systems over reaction,...I did another experiment adding just water, honey and pea protein powder to test if it had anything to do with insulin but no bad reaction in fact when I just added some coconut sugar to a drink it almost instantaneously perked me up ruling out hypoglycemia due to hyperinsulinism...I suggest you experiment with yourself and control the variables, try vegetables for one to two meals and note the contrast with a starch meal, you will note a contrast, then you can rule out either diabetes or an autoimmune disorder. When you treat your stomach right I think you can have a profound change. One other thing is oral care. There are bacteria in your mouth that can do bad things, even to your heart. There is another guy I like Joseph M. Cohen from Selfhacked that has this same symptomatology as me and done good research on these autoimmune conditions. Lectin free foods are his recommendation.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Valor5

• 289 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:53 AM

I also like, John kohler, he has alot of very good YouTube videos on veganism or vegetarianism​, his channel is okraw. He is very down to earth. Another is Dr. Michael Greger. He talks about interesting studies, he always cites the scientific literature. These guys are powerhouses.

#4 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:38 PM

"Blank mind" is a common term among newbies to the neurosciences - usually it's ends up describing either low-level Schizophrenia or more commonly... DEREALISATION/DEPERSONALIZATION - a feature of some forms of depression - it usually accompanies depression, but there is some evidence that it might be a different phenomenon.

Both are however, when induced naturally, caused by extreme long-term trauma - "shell-shock", aka PTSD, is known to make soldiers start cutting themselves, because their minds go blank, they stop caring about the terror around them, and they stop feeling - in order to feel something, ANYthing(!) they start cutting themselves, to check if what's happening is real.

But the trauma doesn't have to be as bad as WAR to cause DP/DR - some people are much, much more susceptible to it than the mainline population, for them, stress and fear from normal modern life can be enough to eventually make your mind go blank and your grip on reality to lessen - in order to protect you.

DP/DR is a feature of the brain, to protect your personality from dangers, preventing you from curling up into a ball, petrified, shaking and crying with fear - it's meant to keep you going when all seems lost - so that you can conquer that sabertooth tiger even though it ripped your hand off - if it becomes unreal, then it can't hurt you, and then you will ram that spear up the tigers ass - bringing home dinner for your cave-tribe instead.

Talk to your Psychiatric Dr. and describe the symptoms - and ask him if he thinks it's DP/DR.

If she says yes... then I would recommend the following:

Lamotrigine

Kappa-antagonism (cerc-501, jdtic, naloxone + buprenorphine - this last one you might actually get prescribed)

Read more here:

http://www.dpselfhel...081-blank-mind/

https://www.longecit...inner-monlogue/

https://www.nhs.uk/c...tive-disorders/

https://en.wikipedia...zation_disorder

• Informative x 1

#5 MichaelTheAnhedonic

• 179 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 09:25 AM

I wonder if I can have DP/DR if I have changes in my brain. As far as I remember, lamotrigine helped me to some extent. Then, zopiclone which is anxiolytic, made me feel emotions again to some extent too.

#6 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:02 AM

I wonder if I can have DP/DR if I have changes in my brain. As far as I remember, lamotrigine helped me to some extent. Then, zopiclone which is anxiolytic, made me feel emotions again to some extent too.

Wait a minute though... aren't you the one whom had a sister with Schizophrenia? And your MRI showed white-matter abnormalities corresponding to those seen in Schizophrenics?

Seems more likely that you indeed have Simple Schizophrenia then...

However, with that said - there's actually no proof that you can't have both DP/DR and some form of Schizophrenia - in fact, I believe there is some evidence that psychosis and DP/DR may even be a kind of two sides of a coin! Think about it - sometimes psychosis is triggered by hyper-trauma, something like WAR - just like DP/DR - and much like DP/DR... it can also be triggered by NMDA-antagonists.

There's actually quite a few similarities to the two phenomenon... But there's also a very distinct difference, much like there is between another phenomenon related to schiz (bipolar): Kappa antagonists TREAT DP/DR, but CAUSES Psychosis! As such, that class of drug may not be a good thing for someone with Schiz in the family...

I suppose this could mean, that even though you might get your inner thoughts back, you might still have cognitive deficits of various kinds.

Here, I found one of the articles about the similarities between DP/DR and psychosis, check them out:

Unique and Overlapping Symptoms in Schizophrenia Spectrum and Dissociative Disorders in Relation to Models of Psychopathology: A Systematic Review

https://academic.oup...3/1/108/2503418

#7 MichaelTheAnhedonic

• 179 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:17 AM

Wait a minute though... aren't you the one whom had a sister with Schizophrenia? And your MRI showed white-matter abnormalities corresponding to those seen in Schizophrenics?

Seems more likely that you indeed have Simple Schizophrenia then...

However, with that said - there's actually no proof that you can't have both DP/DR and some form of Schizophrenia - in fact, I believe there is some evidence that psychosis and DP/DR may even be a kind of two sides of a coin! Think about it - sometimes psychosis is triggered by hyper-trauma, something like WAR - just like DP/DR - and much like DP/DR... it can also be triggered by NMDA-antagonists.

There's actually quite a few similarities to the two phenomenon... But there's also a very distinct difference, much like there is between another phenomenon related to schiz (bipolar): Kappa antagonists TREAT DP/DR, but CAUSES Psychosis! As such, that class of drug may not be a good thing for someone with Schiz in the family...

I suppose this could mean, that even though you might get your inner thoughts back, you might still have cognitive deficits of various kinds.

Here, I found one of the articles about the similarities between DP/DR and psychosis, check them out:

Unique and Overlapping Symptoms in Schizophrenia Spectrum and Dissociative Disorders in Relation to Models of Psychopathology: A Systematic Review

https://academic.oup...3/1/108/2503418

My sister doesn't have Schizophrenia. She got schizoaffective disorder which is much better than Schizo. My pseudo hypothesis is that there's something wrong with couple of genes in my family, one of them might be responsible for dopamine metabolism. My dad had manic episodes and depression (bipolar I guess). Sister does have schizoaffective disorder. Both of the conditions are connected strongly to dopamine metabolism. Maybe it's obvious, but I'm curious what genes exactly are causing this - maybe there's a fix.

I don't have white matter abnormalities, it's grey matter instead. My cerebellum got better (It was atrophied on one side) according to my newest MRI. Even my ventricles are now smaller (probably because of cerebellum regeneration).

My doc had patients with simple schizo. Not single, but couple of them, so I trust him. He said that I don't match them. I am in a way more better state, verbally/cognitively. Anyway, If it's really simple schizo, then L-DOPA might work (see wikipedia page - about the treatment). I am currently on 5mg aripiprazole. Can't see any difference but my main dose is 15mg. Another option is to take neurogenic substances, dihexa is too risky AFAIK, so NSI-189 is better option even if it's only hippocampus neurogenesis.

#8 Jesuisfort

• 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:38 PM

Blank mind = Schizophrenia for sure 

• Ill informed x 2
  • Agree x 1

#9 Jesuisfort

• 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:20 AM

Blank mind = Schizophrenia for sure 

Sorry I did a mistake, blank mind / absence of thougts  can also be caused by DP/DR,  if you are anxious, you have probably DP/DR instead of schizophrenia... Schizophrenia is the most terrible   mental disease for me , I hope you don't have  this 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#10 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:32 PM

Alzheimer's is a lot more terrible

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: internal monologue, inner voice, no thoughts, blank mind

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users