Nicotinamide Riboside help to maintain telomere length

telomere nicotinamide riboside

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:13 PM

https://stemcellres....3287-018-0857-6

This paper is not well designed for senolytics analysis. But it did show NR maintained telomere length better than control and quercentin and others.

I have speculated that NR helps to maintain telomere length. This is probably the first direct evidence that it is true.

Attached Files

• Ill informed x 3
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • dislike x 1

#2 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:44 PM

Not that we should take in vitro studies on cells in serial passage seriously, nor telomere length as  either a biomarker of aging or even less as a point for intervention in aging, but this study explicitly found none of the tested agents had any effect on telomere length (in serially-passaged MSC in culture). You're reifying statistical noise.

• Agree x 4
  • like x 2
  • Informative x 1

#3 MikeDC

• Topic Starter
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:57 PM

Not that we should take in vitro studies on cells in serial passage seriously, nor telomere length as either a biomarker of aging or even less as a point for intervention in aging, but this study explicitly found none of the tested agents had any effect on telomere length (in serially-passaged MSC in culture). You're reifying statistical noise.

Not significant results. But it didn’t say it was statistically insignificant. Wish someone will study the effect of NR on telomere length in vivo.
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • Ill informed x 2
  • dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

#4 TMNMK

• 170 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:40 PM

We need a "wat" rating.

Edited by TMNMK, 26 April 2018 - 09:41 PM.

• Good Point x 2
  • Agree x 2

#5 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:32 AM

Mike DC:

I read the paper you linked to about the failure of NR as a senolytic drug in vitro and as Michael said, it contradicts your title of this post.

NR does not "help maintain telomere length" in this study as you claim (emphasis mine in the quote below):

For quercetin, danazol, and nicotinamide riboside we did not observe any senolytic effect. Furthermore, none of the investigated drugs had a positive effect on culture expansion, telomere length, or epigenetic rejuvenation.

I don´t think you really wanted anyone to read the study, just your title. This is very dishonest. I appreciate that you gather resources and data on NR, please do so. But save the spin and misinformation for the various stock market forums. This is not the place for manipulating stocks.

• Good Point x 2
  • Agree x 2
  • Well Written x 1
  • like x 1

#6 MikeDC

• Topic Starter
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 11:50 AM

Mike DC:

I read the paper you linked to about the failure of NR as a senolytic drug in vitro and as Michael said, it contradicts your title of this post.

NR does not "help maintain telomere length" in this study as you claim (emphasis mine in the quote below):

I don´t think you really wanted anyone to read the study, just your title. This is very dishonest. I appreciate that you gather resources and data on NR, please do so. But save the spin and misinformation for the various stock market forums. This is not the place for manipulating stocks.

The NR bar is higher even though it is not significant. Better techniques and longer time frame may prove it to be statistically significant. I know NR helps with telomere length because many papers confirm sirt1’s role in maintaining or elongating telomere length.
  • Ill informed x 3
  • Needs references x 2
  • dislike x 1

#7 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:11 PM

I know NR helps with telomere length because many papers confirm sirt1’s role in maintaining or elongating telomere length.

No. You do not know that exogenous NR helps maintain telomere length.

You "think", "believe", "want to" or maybe hope that it does. If there is reproducible evidence, not the circumstantial kind you just cited, that supplemental NR does that...then we will know.

• Good Point x 3
  • Agree x 2
  • like x 1

#8 MikeDC

• Topic Starter
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:40 PM

No. You do not know that exogenous NR helps maintain telomere length.

You "think", "believe", "want to" or maybe hope that it does. If there is reproducible evidence, not the circumstantial kind you just cited, that supplemental NR does that...then we will know.

I am not the only one that see the connection between NAD+ and telomere length. A recent article by life extension also mentioned Telomere length as one of the benefits of increasing NAD+ with NR. The logical connection is there. We are just waiting for direct
Data.
http://www.lifeexten...-Of-NAD/Page-01
  • Ill informed x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#9 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:05 PM

I am not the only one that see the connection between NAD+ and telomere length. A recent article by life extension also mentioned Telomere length as one of the benefits of increasing NAD+ with NR. The logical connection is there. We are just waiting for direct
Data.
http://www.lifeexten...-Of-NAD/Page-01

We are just waiting for data.Haha.

• Good Point x 1

#10 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:11 PM

Yes, let us not jump to any conclusions. Lol. Patiently awaiting the data needed for confirmation bias.

(unless the results are negative, then we will reject the study and talk of it no more)

• Good Point x 3
  • like x 1

#11 MikeDC

• Topic Starter
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:12 PM

It is similar to taking NR to extend life span and health span. We don’t have the data yet because that could take another 50 years to get. But many people are taking it because of mice studies and human clinical trials and personal experiences. I would think your manipulating mitochandrial dynamics has less science validation that NR maintaining telomere length. But you are still doing it. I truly believe everyone following you will end up with worse health than before.
  • Ill informed x 1
  • dislike x 1

#12 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:32 PM

It is similar to taking NR to extend life span and health span. 

It isn't at all similar. Getting data on healthspan can take many years, but getting data on telomere length is easy. In fact, the paper you cited did it, and found that "none of the drugs had significant effects on the maximum number of population doublings, telomere length, or epigenetic senescence predictions." You are riding a dead horse.

• Good Point x 4
  • Agree x 1

#13 MikeDC

• Topic Starter
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:41 PM

It isn't at all similar. Getting data on healthspan can take many years, but getting data on telomere length is easy. In fact, the paper you cited did it, and found that "none of the drugs had significant effects on the maximum number of population doublings, telomere length, or epigenetic senescence predictions." You are riding a dead horse.

It is not a dead horse just because of one study. Better designed study with better techniques will prove that NR helps to maintain telomere length. A recent paper showed that Sirt1 is required for telomere elongation in pluripotent stem cells.
  • Needs references x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#14 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:39 PM

It is not a dead horse just because of one study. Better designed study with better techniques will prove that NR helps to maintain telomere length. A recent paper showed that Sirt1 is required for telomere elongation in pluripotent stem cells.

How do you know that a better designed study will prove NR helps to maintain telomere length?  Sounds like you've reached a conclusion in the absence of evidence and simply assume that the evidence is there.

• Well Written x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#15 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:54 AM

https://www.atsjourn...Abstracts.A4641

#16 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:57 AM

Thanks stefan_001, Could be good news for NMN, as that is what they used. Maybe NR if it works the same. Click on image to see abstract.

"NAD Regulation of Cellular Senescence is Mediated by Teleromase Reverse Transcriptase Expression"

Attached File  Screenshot-2018-5-10 NAD Regulation of Cellular Senescence Is Mediated by Telomerase Reverse Transcriptase Expression C28 R....jpg   178.25KB   2 downloads

Edited by Heisok, 11 May 2018 - 02:02 AM.

#17 MikeDC

• Topic Starter
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:11 AM

Lots of evidence that Sirt1 increases telomerase activity and delays senescence. It is called writing on the wall.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...from=tert sirt1
  • dislike x 1

#18 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:54 AM

Lots of evidence that Sirt1 increases telomerase activity and delays senescence. It is called writing on the wall.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...from=tert sirt1

Looks more like an argument for garlic.

• Agree x 2
  • like x 1

#19 MikeDC

• Topic Starter
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:19 PM

Looks more like an argument for garlic.

Some people can’t read the writings on the wall. But some can.
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 4
  • Disagree x 2
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Unfriendly x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: telomere, nicotinamide riboside

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users