• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

natural alternative for lipitor (lowering cholesterol)

lipitor cholesterol

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hesa

• 6 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:58 PM

I'm 67 years old woman
152lbs and 5'2". i use recumbent exercise bike for 20 minutes a day (10min twice a day).
recently i had a cataract surgery.
my total cholesterol is 240-270 but i don't remember the other specifics.
doctor says i should take baby aspirin, but i don't take it all the time, not sure if i should take it or not.

i have been on lipitor for about 5 years. recently i read about its side effects, so I'm thinking of switching to something natural with fewer side effects.
do you have any suggestions and in what dosages?

also i think i will take co-q10 since i read that lipitor depletes your body from it. but i don't know at what dosage and which form (ubiquinol or ubiquinone)

thank you.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#2 Dorian Grey

• 831 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:32 AM

Hi hesa, & if your cholesterol is 240-270 while on Lipitor and you're not having any noticeable side effects, you might consider not tampering with what is working well.  

I would resist any attempt by your doc to increase dosage or switch to more aggressive therapy to lower cholesterol further, but you really don't want your cholesterol to go much higher than this.  Some doctors tend to over-treat, and push cholesterol down below 200, but this would greatly increase your risk of side effects, with little statistical benefit to you.  

There are alternative therapies in the supplement world, but these have their own side effect issues and may not be as effective at handling difficult levels of cholesterol, which you seem to have.  

Adding some co-q10 might certainly be wise, but I'm really not well read on which form is best.  Hopefully someone else can help with this.  

A daily baby aspirin is most likely good advice once we're in our late 60's and beyond.  Heart attack and stroke become far more common at these ages, and this is something you probably want to minimize risk for.  

Please research any changes you might consider making carefully.  If you're doing well on your current therapy, I'd be tempted to leave well enough alone.  

• Ill informed x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 hesa

• Topic Starter
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:51 PM

hi

i checked my papers and it says 221 for cholesterol and 82 for triglycerides.

and for the most part i really don't take my pills all the time. but before these test results (221 for cholesterol and 82 for triglycerides) i was taking  lipitor 20mg per day for about 3 uninterrupted weeks, before those 3 weeks i took nothing for a while.

#4 hesa

• Topic Starter
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:02 PM

since i can't edit my first post, i just want to repeat what i said again

my test results are 221 for cholesterol and 82 for triglycerides

before these test results i was taking  lipitor 20mg per day for about 3 uninterrupted weeks, before those 3 weeks i took nothing for a while.

also i have osteoarthritis & metatarsalgia, which doctors couldn't help to reduce the pain. the doctor proscribed glucosamine 500mg a day. knee pain is reduced a bit, but awful pain at the ball of the foot still going for 3 years now, every day, sometimes it's a bit reduced when i take a walk. i'm thinking maybe the lipitor caused it.

#5 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:28 PM

also i have osteoarthritis & metatarsalgia, which doctors couldn't help to reduce the pain. the doctor proscribed glucosamine 500mg a day. knee pain is reduced a bit, but awful pain at the ball of the foot still going for 3 years now, every day, sometimes it's a bit reduced when i take a walk. i'm thinking maybe the lipitor caused it.

In women of your age who don't smoke and with systolic pressure below 140, higher cholesterol is associated with lower risk of CVD and death from all causes. And the foot pain could be from statins. My mother was prescribed statins by one of the voodoo practitioners who pass for doctors these days, and it almost crippled her.

For CVD risk factors, see Figs. 1-4 of this paper, where your cholesterol is 5.7 mmol/l.

(For total cholesterol, 1 mmol/l  = 38.67 mg/dl)

Edited by Turnbuckle, 14 May 2018 - 06:32 PM.

#6 Dorian Grey

• 831 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:44 AM

The 20mg dose of Lipitor is a very conservative dose (40mg is standard) & 221 for cholesterol and 82 for triglycerides are beautiful levels.  

Don't know if the Lipitor might be causing your foot pain.  Statins are typically associated with muscle and back pain.  

If you don't have a family history of members developing heart disease at a relatively early age, the Lipitor may be unnecessary, but with cholesterol in the 270 range (un-medicated), low dose Lipitor (like what you're on) might be helpful.  

It's a tough call.  Many doctors over-medicate and try to push cholesterol below 200.  This is overkill, & greatly increases the odds you'll experience unpleasant side effects.  Your doc has wisely chosen conservative therapy.  

Did you notice an increase in your foot pain/symptoms after starting the Lipitor?  Or was this a problem before?  

#7 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:39 AM

If you don't have a family history of members developing heart disease at a relatively early age, the Lipitor may be unnecessary, but with cholesterol in the 270 range (un-medicated), low dose Lipitor (like what you're on) might be helpful.  

How would it be helpful? Can you show any proof of the benefit in this case?

Unfortunately, with the billions being made on the cholesterol scam (a $20 billion a year business, and growing rapidly), millions are being harmed by doctors who don't know anything but what the scammers (pharmaceutical reps) tell them. But the proof isn't there. A meta study (a study of studies) indicates that cholesterol is actually protective for people over 60.

Lack of an association or an inverse association between low-density-lipoprotein cholesterol and mortality in the elderly: a systematic review

Conclusions High LDL-C is inversely associated with mortality in most people over 60 years. This finding is inconsistent with the cholesterol hypothesis (ie, that cholesterol, particularly LDL-C, is inherently atherogenic). Since elderly people with high LDL-C live as long or longer than those with low LDL-C, our analysis provides reason to question the validity of the cholesterol hypothesis. Moreover, our study provides the rationale for a re-evaluation of guidelines recommending pharmacological reduction of LDL-C in the elderly as a component of cardiovascular disease prevention strategies.

http://bmjopen.bmj.c.../6/e010401.full

As for peripheral neuropathy from statins, the longer you stay on them, the more likely it will become irreversible.

The implications of statin induced peripheral neuropathy

There are reported cases of statin induced peripheral neuropathy, which in the initial stages can be reversible...But it needs to be asked, who would be liable if the patient was to ulcerate and progressed to amputation? The patient, medical practitioner, or podiatrist?

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3103035/

Edited by Turnbuckle, 15 May 2018 - 11:27 AM.

• Good Point x 1

#8 Dorian Grey

• 831 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:27 AM

Point taken Turnbuckle.  More on this here:

Just say NO to drugs!  

• Informative x 1

#9 Daniel Cooper

• 738 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:44 PM

If you really delve into the details of the Jupiter Study the case for the effectiveness for statins preventing CVD is much more tenuous than the drug companies or your average doctor makes it out to be.

It is however an established $13B industry so there is a lot of inertial behind it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 Blueflash

• 22 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:52 PM

https://examine.com/...-cholesterol/  

These are listed by the level of incidence. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lipitor, cholesterol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users