• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Retin A is overrated. US sunblocks do not work. Pics incl.

sunblock tretinoin retina american sunblock visia uv damage brown spots wrinkles

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 The Beauty of Peace

• 147 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:20 PM

Yesterday I had my 2nd VISIA analysis done at a local cosmetic clinic. Before that I had it done in 2015. The results are somewhat puzzling. 

VISIA skin analysis grades your results to others of the same age and skin type. It measures spots, wrinkles, texture, pores, UV spots, brown spots, red areas, and porphyrins. Most clinics offer this service free of charge. The higher the number, the better the results. 

1528902737049.jpg

1528899014552.jpg

Some facts about me: 

I have been using Retin A/Tretinoin/Stieva A 3-7 times per week for 13 years. Occasionally, I had a break from it for 1-2 weeks but not more than that. 
I avoid the sun as much as I can. I would say that I spend much less time outside than an average person as I exercise in the gym only, shop only in malls, I don't like walking, etc. I use sunscreen with SPF 50 every day all year round. I live in a country where winters are long and summers are cloudy. 

Results:

As one can see from the pictures, the number of UV spots significantly increased. The number of brown spots has increased as well. The number of wrinkles also increased (pics not shown.) 

Conclusions: 

Based on the results of the VISIA analysis, I can conclude the following: 

1. Retin A was contributing to the photoaging of the skin by increasing the skin's photosensitivity OR
  2. Retin A was not helpful for treating the photodamage. AND
  3. The sunblocks I used (EltaMD, Paula's Choice, etc.) provide unsatisfactory UVA protection  :unsure:

Edited by The Beauty of Peace, 13 June 2018 - 04:30 PM.

• Informative x 3

#2 bosharpe

• 168 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:35 PM

Interesting. Have you spoken to a Derm about your test? Would be good to get a professional opinion on what's going on here...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 The Beauty of Peace

• Topic Starter
  • 147 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:24 PM

Interesting. Have you spoken to a Derm about your test? Would be good to get a professional opinion on what's going on here...

She said some of the changes are associated with ageing! Welcome to the club  :-D

I am switching to a European sunblock from now on. And I am REALLY gonna use 1/4 tsp on my face only.

And I am also switching from Retin A to a stronger product. 

#4 bosharpe

• 168 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:46 PM

Cool, okay. I use Sunumbra Sunkids. Fair price and decent % of Zinc. The Ordinary have also/are also releasing a range at a good price. 

What's the stronger product you're switching to? :)

#5 The Beauty of Peace

• Topic Starter
  • 147 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:02 PM

Cool, okay. I use Sunumbra Sunkids. Fair price and decent % of Zinc. The Ordinary have also/are also releasing a range at a good price. 

What's the stronger product you're switching to? :)

I've heard about Sunumbra. But it contains aloe vera which supposedly oxidizes in the presence of UVA rays (http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17197137).

I used to wear Cotz Sensitive sunblock with 20% of Zinc Oxide. In the light of those Visia results, I am not 100% confident now that Zinc Oxide is actually the best UVA blocker. Maybe Eva was right, European sunblocks are much better than US sunblocks in that regard.

I am switching to the ZO Radical Night Repair. Surprisingly, it is much stronger than the 0.1% Retin A.

• Informative x 1

#6 Forever21

• 1,833 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 03:58 AM

Tinosorb perhaps?

#7 The Beauty of Peace

• Topic Starter
  • 147 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:59 AM

Tinosorb perhaps?

Just ordered some in the gel form from Europe. Most creams look greasy on me.

#8 pamojja

• 1,478 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:20 PM

1528902737049.jpg

1528899014552.jpg

Excuse my ignorance, but why is a decrease from 73% to 43% in UV Spots, and a decrease from 99% to 83% in Brown Spots within 3 years considered a worsening?

Why would one want more UV and Brown Spots?

Edited by pamojja, 15 June 2018 - 12:21 PM.

#9 The Beauty of Peace

• Topic Starter
  • 147 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:25 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but why is a decrease from 73% to 43% in UV Spots, and a decrease from 99% to 83% in Brown Spots within 3 years be considered a worsening?

Why would one want more UV and Brown Spots?

The higher the number, the better the results.

In 2015 my skin had fewer spots than 73% of other women the same age/skin type. In 2018 I have fewer spots than only 43% of them.

#10 pamojja

• 1,478 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:42 PM

The higher the number, the better the results.

In 2015 my skin had fewer spots than 73% of other women the same age/skin type. In 2018 I have fewer spots than only 43% of them.

OK. So that number doesn't relates to the spots them-self, but how much percentage tested had fewer spots. The problem with that measurement is that it is dynamic. The more persons that get tested, the more the results would differ, even the one from 2015 would be different today. Worse when this test was only invented short before 2015.

For example, last year my ubiome test result stated a higher microbiome diversity than 93% tested, and an overlap of 96,4% with persons tested without health issues.

Not even a year later the same test gives 89% more diversity, an an 95,8% overlap. Simply because more persons with more varying results have been tested.

Do you know since when your skin test was made available. If not many years before 2015 the different results may mean very little.

#11 The Beauty of Peace

• Topic Starter
  • 147 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:06 PM

OK. So that number doesn't relates to the spots them-self, but how much percentage tested had fewer spots. The problem with that measurement is that it is dynamic. The more persons that get tested, the more the results would differ, even the one from 2015 would be different today. Worse when this test was only invented short before 2015.

For example, last year my ubiome test result stated a higher microbiome diversity than 93% tested, and an overlap of 96,4% with persons tested without health issues.

Not even a year later the same test gives 89% more diversity, an an 95,8% overlap. Simply because more persons with more varying results have been tested.

Do you know since when your skin test was made available. If not many years before 2015 the different results may mean very little.

I agree this Visia testing is far from being perfect in many regards. I also had the test done in 2013 and the pattern was similar. I don't know when it became available.

However, I  have a hard time believing that I have more UV damage than an average woman of my age. I stay indoors most of the time (far away from the UV light.) No biking, hiking, walking, etc. I suspect an average woman of my age has a kid or two and should spend more time outdoors than me. I also don't go outside without a sunblock rain or shine.

Also, putting the test aside, I don't feel like my skin is in great condition. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sunblock, tretinoin, retina, american sunblock, visia, uv damage, brown spots, wrinkles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users