* * * * * 1 votes

Nootropics to recover from ADHD?

adhd nootropics stacking

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ddrn1

• 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:27 PM

I'm looking for a drug that could permanently upregulate dopamine production/density. I have read about antipsychotics and their ability to do so but I fear for the negative impacts on health it comes with. I used to medicate on Risperidone for 6 months until I became aware of the health risks. They failed to diagnose me with a psychosis, but Risperidone did rid the anxiety I have had ever since I was a child, even months after I stopped taking it to this day.

I have been free from medicine and anxiety for months now and the only problem remaining is my ADD symptoms which have been with me through all my life. My inability to focus makes it difficult for me to memorize sentences, as well for interpreting it vocally. Is it difficult for me to get motivated. My memory has always been sharp, it's just that when I read something, I can't make anything out of it or interpret it because it has already left my mind. Even if I am engaged into a conversation or article that I want to learn from, it does not boost the clarity of its meaning. It makes it hard for me to stay in thread and connect things.

Since about a month back I started taking many supplements that would improve nutrition deficiencies found in people with ADHD such as Iron, Magnesium, B-vitamins, EPA and Zink in hope to reduce the symptoms. I've only noticed a slight improvement in focus which I would not consider optimal.

I'm looking for a nootropic that could just like the nutritions I mentioned boost focus and cognitive ability, a drug that has long lasting effects for months or years after you stopped taking it. I'm basically looking to recover from the ADD symptoms. Perhaps there is no such path to take, maybe there are only temporary fixes and if so, I'd like to know. I appreciate all feedback.

#2 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 June 2018 - 02:53 AM

I wasn’t aware there were any drugs that could “permanently” increase or decrease any neurotransmitter.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#3 CWF1986

• 224 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:53 AM

You're looking for the holy grail regarding this disorder.

I think you're just going to end up chasing the rainbow.

Dose coffee/caffeine help?  Try supplementing with 100-300mg theacrine twice a day.  Still nothing?  Try adding oxiracetam.  Still nothing or not enough?  Add adrafinil.  If you still don't get the relief you need then the more traditional pharmaceutical route would probably be the way to go.  

If you get dx'd by a dr. the first line of treatment is stimulant medication.  2nd line is the other type of stimulant you didn't try the first time.  I would try a couple methylphenidate preparations first before trying amphetamine preparations.  

Non-stims can be effective in some.  Strattera and reboxetine probably have the most data behind them.  There's also the TCAs Desipramine, Nortriptyline, and Imipramine.  Selegeline has a few studies backing it.  

I'm sorry to be the barer of bad news, but this is a chronic impairment and just like any physical chronic disorder/disease you will have to constantly battle this disorder.  Surround yourself with a positive support group including friends, family, and possible therapy including group and/or one to one, and never just give up.  I have ADHD PI dx'd by a pediatrician, psychologist, and psychiatrist and even with medicine I still have to do things differently than neurotypicals to get my life straight and I also have to be forgiving of myself.  Forgiving isn't saying my mistakes are okay.  It only means separating the self-defeating thoughts that may arise from making mistakes while keeping the good lessons.   

Good luck.  

#4 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 July 2018 - 03:59 PM

There are no nootropics that help sufficiently with the disease of ADHD - only the medically prescribed compounds have any greater evidence behind them.

CWF1986 wrote a fairly good post on this, so I won't add too much more on it.

But, if you also have something called SCT - Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (also known as CDD - Concentration Deficit Disorder), then things might be even more complicated, and you might have a very hard road ahead of you - depending on what you want from life, of course - it doesn't have to be too hard, depends on how you want your life to be.

Check it out and see if it rings any bells:

https://en.wikipedia...cognitive_tempo

Currently, this is not an official diagnosis, but every Psychiatric Doc worth his salt are familiar with the symptoms and the subset of patients - as well as the debate regarding their classification, and how close it came towards being included in the DSM-5. (the current, fairly recently accepted list of definitions of psychiatric diseases)

#5 Breakthrough

• Registrant
  • 34 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:34 PM

Man I really admire you guys hat suffer from SCT and still manage to do running research and connect so many dots. I would have to say that my executive functioning is severely disabled from this condition. Decision making is terrible, but so is thinking and communicating; the later two make it difficult for me to even partake in social media/forum conversations on a consistent basis. Did any of you guys have cognitive dysfunction so servers that it impaired your ability to offer appropriate responses on hear forums? Sometimes I wonder if we suffer the same condition or if you guys have just improved because your ability to recall and dissect these complex scientific concepts are so sharp.
Anyway, I hope to contribute as well, but for the sake of people struggling to my extent, I think there may be benefit to keeping a running record on a single thread that lists effectiveness of certain compounds against this monster of a disorder. I’m just so disorganized I can’t even maintain notes properly of all the takeaways that I read about here.

#6 LazyDave

• 9 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:31 AM

Is SCT exactly the same as ADHD-PI? And if you do suffer from ADHD-PI symptoms you can't just recover from it, you just have to live with it. But you can make improvements and make the best of it. Anyhow I ordered Pantogam Active, supposedly helpfull for ADHD. Maybe have a look at it, I too am searching for ways to upregulate dopamine receptors for ADHD-PI.

https://amphx.com/pantogam/

Pantogam (hopantenic acid) is a nootropic drug currently used In Russia to treat chronic fatigue and various neurological diseases. The drug has neuroprotective, anxiolytic and anticonvulsant properties.

By its chemical structure, hopantenic acid is a derivative of pantothenic acid (Vitamin b5 form) and gamma-aminobutyric acid (the main inhibitory neurotransmitter in the CNS). Pantogam works by activating GABA-A, GABA-B, and dopamine D2 receptors and is shown to stimulate the synthesis of acetylcholine.

Indications for use include decreased mental capacity, chronic fatigue, organic brain syndrome and developmental delays in children.

Pantogam Active is a racemic modification of Pantogam. Hopantenic acid has two active Enantiomers, and Pantogam active has a different racemic composition with a higher content of L-enantiomer. Because of the different composition, Pantogam and Pantogam active have slightly different pharmacological effects. A modified version of this drug features more pronounced anxiolytic and anti-amnesic effects.

#7 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 September 2018 - 01:48 PM

Man I really admire you guys hat suffer from SCT and still manage to do running research and connect so many dots. I would have to say that my executive functioning is severely disabled from this condition. Decision making is terrible, but so is thinking and communicating; the later two make it difficult for me to even partake in social media/forum conversations on a consistent basis. Did any of you guys have cognitive dysfunction so servers that it impaired your ability to offer appropriate responses on hear forums? Sometimes I wonder if we suffer the same condition or if you guys have just improved because your ability to recall and dissect these complex scientific concepts are so sharp.
Anyway, I hope to contribute as well, but for the sake of people struggling to my extent, I think there may be benefit to keeping a running record on a single thread that lists effectiveness of certain compounds against this monster of a disorder. I’m just so disorganized I can’t even maintain notes properly of all the takeaways that I read about here.

Yes, all the time. I couldn't even reply to this, for instance, and tell you that is the case.

You could easily know what I know if you keep at it : ) - I'm just as disabled and scared as every other SCT-er.

Is SCT exactly the same as ADHD-PI? And if you do suffer from ADHD-PI symptoms you can't just recover from it, you just have to live with it. But you can make improvements and make the best of it. Anyhow I ordered Pantogam Active, supposedly helpfull for ADHD. Maybe have a look at it, I too am searching for ways to upregulate dopamine receptors for ADHD-PI.

https://amphx.com/pantogam/

No, it's not. The group that used to be called ADHD-PI (this term is also retired now) have multiple types of patients, that have several reasons why they don't have hyperactivity. SCT is just ONE of those reasons. (i.e, they have another disease,  sct, or they have only slight adhd but lots of SCT)

There is also no way to recover from SCT - just like every other Neurodevelopmental disease, such as ADHD and Autism.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#8 CWF1986

• 224 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:41 AM

Personally, I find this kind of stuff fascinating which makes it easy to focus and gather my thoughts regarding these kinds of issues.  Anything that has me thinking and researching keeps me interested.

I've also had a great response to medication with few sides.  

It's the tedium in life that's difficult for me manage and organize.  Things like which bills are due when, making it on time to appointments and jobs, doing the forms for job applications and keeping track of them all, etc.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adhd, nootropics, stacking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users