- - - - -

Memantine for social anxiety, GAD, panic attacks

anxiety gad panic attacks memantine ketamine social anxiety

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Diego55

• 108 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:27 AM

I have tried all standard antidepressants including an old MAOI drug Nardil. I also tried some off-label drugs like Lyrica, Modafinil...nothing has helped me yet. They either helped me short-term or didn't help at all (sometimes even made things worse).

I have read some positive reports and one life-changing story how memantine "cured" social anxiety:

https://www.longecit...social-anxiety/

...but there are also reports about memantine side effects such as worsening anxiety, depression, cognitive abilities

Do you think it is worth to try Memantine?

If so, how can I convince my doctor to prescribe it to me? The last time I asked him about memantine, he said there is no evidence that memantine can help with anxiety as an off-label treatment. I am also interested in trying Ketamine IV but it's a complicated process, since ketamine is not approved for depression treatment in my country.

Thanks

#2 BlueCloud

• 540 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 10:00 AM

Have you tried escitalopram ? It's the most recommended SSRI's for social anxiety and/or GAD.

You said Lyrica hasn't helped. In what aspect ? I have GAD issues as well and find it pretty powerful. One of it's main issues is tolerance that develops quickly, it's a drug that really needs to be cycled on and off continuously to reset it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Junipersun

• 70 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 02:19 PM

Just show them the relevant studies that it helps with anxiety/ocd. Got my doc to prescribe it to me that way. 

#4 Diego55

• Topic Starter
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:37 PM

Have you tried escitalopram ? It's the most recommended SSRI's for social anxiety and/or GAD.

You said Lyrica hasn't helped. In what aspect ? I have GAD issues as well and find it pretty powerful. One of it's main issues is tolerance that develops quickly, it's a drug that really needs to be cycled on and off continuously to reset it.

tried all SSRI drugs including escitalopram and citalopram. On escitalopram, I got irritated and had a tremor in dosage above 10mg. Taking 10mg and less was ineffective. 

Lyrica made me physically drunk. I got problems with coordination in doses to 100mg...Lyrica is not approved even as an off-label treatment for treating anxiety (or any other mental condition) in my country. My doctor only managed to get some packages by a neurologist colleague.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#5 Diego55

• Topic Starter
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:40 PM

Just show them the relevant studies that it helps with anxiety/ocd. Got my doc to prescribe it to me that way. 

could you tell me more about your experience? Is memantine helpful for your anxiety? What is your dosage and are there any side effects? Thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anxiety, gad, panic attacks, memantine, ketamine, social anxiety

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users