- - - - -

Got gray hair? Try this!

gray hair

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 06:39 AM

I have a 72 year old relative with almost only colored hair on his head. His hair has gone from mostly gray to mostly colored after I introduced him to specific supplements.

It seems it's a mix of the amino acid acetyl-carnitine and the vitamin nicotinic acid which is restoring his hair color.

Both of these supplements remove old mitochondria and increase the production of new ones. They also are anti-inflammatory.

As an added bonus, he now also has more hair on his head than he had before, with more and more new hair growing each month.

At least 1g acetyl-carnitine and 1g nicotinic acid. Higher dosages seem to work better. And they need to be taken together to work.

• Ill informed x 2
  • Good Point x 2
  • unsure x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#2 michael0505

• 35 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:07 PM

Can you suggest a time of day to take these? Assuming once a day? Was your relative taking a higher dose than 1g? 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,050 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:27 PM

Would be nice to see before and after pictures.

• Agree x 2
  • Cheerful x 1

#4 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:35 PM

I have a 72 year old relative with almost only colored hair on his head. His hair has gone from mostly gray to mostly colored after I introduced him to specific supplements.

It seems it's a mix of the amino acid acetyl-carnitine and the vitamin nicotinic acid which is restoring his hair color.

Please also entertain the possibility that in this particular case premature graying reversed because of specific deficiencies corrected. Deficiencies especially with age are common and might not be the same for everone.

• Agree x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#5 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 02:26 PM

Humans are great at hiding perceived weaknesses. Need I reference that lol... And gray hair is most def a "perceived weakness," eh, since we live in a youth-obsessed culture where agism is as prevalent as sexism, racism, classism....

So shouldn't surprise you if your 72-year old gray-haired was not achieving dark-haired miracles with "a mix of the amino acid acetyl-carnitine and the vitamin nicotinic acid," but was instead dying the evil grays out without notifying you. People aren't honest, including me and you, about weaknesses.

Because, you know, having gray hair is a sign of weakness in an insane culture. I'm fond of gorilla society, wherein silverbacks with silver backs display outward signs of power, respect, and experience to younger gorillas. We need to cure all aspects of aging, but until we do we might try to redefine aging, and stop judging people for their powerlessness over evolved adaptations, like gray hair.
  • Agree x 2

#6 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:45 PM

My father-in-law went completely grey and then his hair turned dark brown again in a matter of a year and he didn't do anything. It happened all by itself...

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • Informative x 1

#7 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 July 2018 - 12:36 AM

He also lost hair at the same time and it all grew back in about a year. And he didn't even take hair loss meds. Hair is a finicky thing! When I was a kid my hair was golden blonde. Now its light brown. My best friend went Grey while we were in college... The day we figure out hair is the day we figure out aging.

Edited by Rocket, 01 July 2018 - 12:36 AM.

• Agree x 1

#8 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 03:42 AM

^ that's cool as shit
  • Agree x 2
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#9 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 10:02 AM

When I was a kid my hair was golden blonde. Now its light brown.

Same with me, as a kid almost white blonde I didn't like at all. Then I was told by my mother if I only would eat dark bread, it would turn as black as with American Indians. But only turned brown.

However, wearing it long the surface hairs always got bleached by the sun into blonde again. Which camouflaged it so well, couldn't find even 1 gray hair on my head. Just shaved it and now can see them coming on my temples (at 51), while in my darker beard-hair already after 40.

By the way, I did take about 3 g/d of niacin and about 2 g/d of carnitine during the last 10 years. Wont go back to any bread again, but now try it with black cumin, sesame and dark chocolate :laugh:

Edited by pamojja, 01 July 2018 - 10:12 AM.

#10 Believer

• Topic Starter
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:17 AM

He also lost hair at the same time and it all grew back in about a year. And he didn't even take hair loss meds. Hair is a finicky thing!

There are indeed many causes of hair loss and graying of hair. Premature graying of hair is totally different from age-related graying of hair. When I was a kid I had a friend who grew a few gray hairs and he wasn't even a teenager yet. But even then there could be multiple causes. In relation to your comment I suspect in his case it maybe thyroid related as thyroid hormones (deficiency) can cause hair loss and I believe also perhaps graying of hair.

Needless to say the combo of niacin + carnitine is for age-related graying and loss of hair that is not related to thyroid hormones. I suspect it has to do with mitochondria being renewed.

I am still looking for feedback on this combo. Are people trying it for their gray hair?

#11 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 11:13 AM

I am still looking for feedback on this combo. Are people trying it for their gray hair?

As already said, I took even much higher dose niacin and acetyl-carnitine against other issues for many years. But it didn't prevent graying of hair.

Edited by pamojja, 30 July 2018 - 11:14 AM.

#12 Believer

• Topic Starter
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 11:20 AM

As already said, I took even much higher dose niacin and acetyl-carnitine against other issues for many years. But it didn't prevent graying of hair.

I always read the replies and that was understood but as always there are outliers with supplements. I still believe there is something to this combo which works. Niacin is already fairly recognized as having some hair regrowth promoting effects.

I am looking to hear about other people who have used nicotinic acid (not niacinamide) with carnitine.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:28 PM

I have taken ALCAR and Nictonic Acid for years. Up to 2g of both, tough less these days (1g/1g). It has done nothing to reverse graying, but it has not gotten much worse in that last 5+ years either.

The only thing I noticed a slight improvement on was my facial hair after the first three months I took NR. Been taking NR in 3 month cycles (3 on, 1 off) for over 2 years now and only noticed visible impact on that very first cycle.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gray hair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users