• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Has anyone here experienced fat loss/aged appearance due to retinoids?

skincare tretinoin retin-a subcutaneous fat anti-aging

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 miss_vaanjie

• 3 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 July 2018 - 02:48 AM

Retin-A is presented to be the traditional gold standard in dermatology when it comes to anti-aging, but I've seen an increased amount of reports of facial fat loss/hollownesss/sagging in young users.  I find this to be concerning, particularly when many doctors encourage people to begin usage at fairly young ages for the purpose of anti-aging.

After spending a lot of time analyzing research on PubMed and encountering studies such as thisthisthisthis, and many more,  I feel I confirm that retinoic acid directly impairs the process of adipogenesis by inhibiting adipocyte differentiation in several ways both in vivo and in vitro.

I love performing research but I'll be the first to admit that I do not have a science background, so I ran my theory by one of the scientists who writes on the blog BareFacedTruth.  *FYI these doctors have created several skincare products, most based on stem cell cytokines, but also sell products containing retinol. That being said they openly admit a certain level of bias but also freely recommend other skincare brands, and do an absolutely amazing job of explaining skincare science.)

I received this response: 

"it is well known that all trans retinoic acid reduces expression of adipogenic transcription factors (e.g. PPAR-gamma) and increases fat oxidation. Short-term administration of isotretinoin can even elevates plasma triglyceride concentrations. Suspicious huh? The effect on subcutaneous fat is not at all clear (mostly “ignored” in the medical literature), but switching to an oxidative metabolism is surely suggestive of disrupted lipogenesis, which would at the least interfere with normal tissue maintenance. So your theory may not be all that unorthodox, although poking the sleeping bear (retinoids being all that many dermatologists believe in for anti-aging) could earn you a reputation as a muckraker. Please share your data or observations....Certain native human growth factors can contribute to restoration of fat stores. Facial adipose fat cells have receptors for e.g. IGF-1, and TGF-B3. The response to topical signaling is is growth (mitogenic) and differentiation. Plastic surgeons are gaining experiencing in using GF and cytokine stimulation, typically through autologous stem cell enrichment, to aid in the engraftment of transplanted fat for facial volume enhancement."

So while formal research hasn't really looked into fat loss resultant from tretinoin specifically, there is pretty solid reasoning in being concerned. As far as ways to combat this go, stem cell cytokine products that upregulate IGF-1 and TGF-B3 would be helpful as mentioned above and I've read that azelaic acid activates PPAR-gamma as well. I’m continuing research on peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors and the importance of CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein in fat production. but this is what I've got so far.  

If anyone has any experience or info related to this topic, I'd love to hear about it.  Most people in the skincare community, dermatologists included, are not willing to question the efficacy of retinoids but no product is above scientific scrutiny and I firmly believe there are better ways of addressing aging skin. 

Edited by miss_vaanjie, 14 July 2018 - 03:23 AM.

#2 S_89

• Registrant
  • 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 September 2018 - 10:09 AM

Hi,

I'm very happy to have found your post.

I noticed a lot of facial tissue loss this year that was causing sagging so I began using fillers which helped a lot.

I was then told about retin-A and how it could thicken the skin and promote collagen. I just wanted to improve even further so I got a prescription.

Used 0.025% strength pea-sized amount for the FIRST time on my under eyes and upper cheeks last night and the subcutaneous fat loss is remarkable.

My under eyes have hollowed SIGNIFICANTLY as have the cheeks.

The filler looks incredibly less pronounced now - in fact it looks strange as the filler in my outer cheeks is now much more voluminous than towards my nose.

I have before and after pics from last night and this morning and I can also provide pictures from other mornings to verify that it is not just a morning appearance.

I have spent over £1000 in fillers (I live in the UK) and I am distraught over this development.

I will now have to get more and spend more over the course of my life-time and have them injected into a dangerous area (the under eyes) purely because of this one time using a small amount of this cream.

Thank you for undertaking research into this extremely important area. 

You wrote:

So while formal research hasn't really looked into fat loss resultant from tretinoin specifically, there is pretty solid reasoning in being concerned. As far as ways to combat this go, stem cell cytokine products that upregulate IGF-1 and TGF-B3 would be helpful as mentioned above and I've read that azelaic acid activates PPAR-gamma as well. I’m continuing research on peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors and the importance of CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein in fat production. but this is what I've got so far. 

I am a non-sciences student - please can you explain in laymans terms how I may be able to get this kind of treatment?

I take it that there is no way that the subcutaneous fat destroyed by the tretinoin will grow back naturally?

Furthermore, if you need a willing subject for these kind of studies, please let me know as I cannot even afford to spend too much more.

I would be willing to travel to wherever you're based if this could help me. Many thanks.

Edited by S_89, 30 September 2018 - 10:12 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#3 S_89

• Registrant
  • 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 September 2018 - 06:49 PM

I have been researching this topic and it seems that ASCs (adipose-tissue-derived-stem-cells) may be a way in the future to re-generate fat cells. Have you heard of this and do you think it has the potential for cosmetic purposes?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#4 S_89

• Registrant
  • 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 October 2018 - 03:07 PM

Just as a follow-up, the person you contacted stated that fat oxidation was possible. Does this completely eradicate the cell or just reduce them? (i.e. there is a chance they could grow back). I can't really use any of their suggestions for regenerating new cells because these are all lab-stage chemicals that I don't have access to and I've been researching them and it seems there is danger involved and they're potentially linked to cancer.

The only one I guess is the Azaelic acid but it would be better if I could get further sources on this so I can consider my options and know if I will have to get a fat transfer.

Could you please give me their contact information if possible as my doctor and dermatologist here won't help me and are telling me it can't be caused by the tretinoin when I know 100% that it was. It has occurred overnight and only in the places that I applied it.

Also my eyes are now extremely cold and I'm worried that without the fatty layer they will be cold throughout my life. I stupidly put it on my upper eye lids (not the part that covers the eye) but somehow it is that whole area that is now cold and I obviously can't get a fat graft here.

I'm praying to God that it is just collagen loss and it will be reformed but I really don't think so.

All the posters I have read online who have had similar things happen just never posted again with an update - so I don't know if this is good or bad. Some of them were mentioning suicide and I can't seem to contact them.

This has ruined my life and it makes me want to sue.

Many thanks

Edited by S_89, 01 October 2018 - 03:09 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: skincare, tretinoin, retin-a, subcutaneous fat, anti-aging

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users