• 906 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 03:53 PM

https://bengreenfiel...ign=bgf-podcast

• Informative x 3

#2 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:44 PM

Thank you. I am no longer following the NR stuff as before and only listened during my gym, likely overlooking many points:

• How much is he taking per day? He said he is taking two doses of NR during the day, in the morning and the evening (due to circadian rhythm of NAD peaking). I did not get if he is taking the recommended dose (500mg) of TruNiagen split during the day, i.e. 1x250mg plus 1x250mg,  or two times the recommended dose, i.e. 2x250mg and 2x250mg.
  • Extensively spoke on NA and nicotinamide. No comment on NMN?
  • Often mentioned positive impact on liver conditions. I recollect also benefits on kidney too. Did he mentioned this? Do you know about?

I might ask on the podcast page directly but thought useful also to clarify here for all. Thank you!

• Good Point x 2

#3 warner

• 178 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 July 2018 - 03:01 PM

- Brenner's currently taking 500 mg NR per day orally, as 250 mg in morning, and 250 mg at night, spaced about 12 hours apart.  Rationale is based on an 8-hour peak blood or tissue level after supplementation, and two daily NAD+ peaks seen in mice.  (Many of us appear to be moving toward this 500 mg/d dosage of NR or NMN.)

- noted 8 important causes of NAD metabolite depletion:  alcohol, overnutrition, noise-induced hearing loss, sun & oxygen damage, time zone disruption, neurodegeneration, heart disease, and aging

- said most such depletion is associated with NRK elevation, implying that NR will be more effective than other B3 supplements

- discourages use of NAD or NMN supplementation on basis that these have phosphate groups that prevent direct use by cell

- rationalized recent trial showing little effect of 12-week 2000 mg NR per day in obese males as being due to slower human disease progression in humans vs. mice

Pretty good interview, imho, except for his not addressing the effectiveness shown by NMN in many studies and reports.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#4 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:08 PM

Damn it ... my brain ages! I asked in the podcast page and just realize I mixed up serving (250 mg) and cap content (125 mg). My dose question is answered by Todd in the podcast page and Warner in this thread. Thank you and my apologizes!

#5 TMNMK

• 170 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:33 PM

It sounds like Ben had a hangover, he wasn't tracking the information too well in my opinion. He repeatedly mixes up which molecules do what and which are being discussed in the moment and frequently mistook what Dr. Brenner had just stated. I'd like it if Dr. Patrick would interview Dr. Brenner instead. Although I have never heard another of Ben's podcasts, so perhaps this is normal for him.

Edited by TMNMK, 29 July 2018 - 05:39 PM.

• Agree x 1

#6 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:41 PM

Yes, good of him to concede that 12 weeks in obese humans cannot cannot produce any  clear health progress. But not so surprising....

I see it as positive that he speaks about NR only, because  that is wat he has firsthand data about. Similarly, Sinclair refrains about speaking about NR.

The remark about a commercial venture with Chromadex to test NAD in tissues is ah...new?

• Agree x 1

#7 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:21 PM

Ben isn’t a good interviewer and his commercial intro that never ends is annoying. It would be better if a better informed interviewer could have conducted the interview.
  • Agree x 2

#8 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:35 AM

I think I also recollect he mentioned the measurement of NAD+. I just pop into a recent paper on this very same topic:

Liu Y, Clement J, Grant R, Sachdev P, Braidy N. Quantitation of NAD+: Why do we need to measure it?. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2018

https://www.research...d_to_measure_it

• Informative x 1

#9 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:47 PM

Pretty good interview, imho, except for his not addressing the effectiveness shown by NMN in many studies and reports.

But no human trials have been conducted with NMN apart from Sinclair's safety trial that must be complete by now.

By the way, I'm Todd who anwered a few questions. 

A couple things I didn't like... First, in comments, Brenner emphasizes that only Tru Niagen has passed FDA requirements for GRAS , etc. but it is clear that NR in Elysium is safe. Second, after Brenner discussed NR helping with heart failure, Greenfield didn't follow up with NR on humans with heart failure. Dr. Dre didn't bother either. One time Brenner said that he couldn't discuss the results of the U of Washington study but maybe by now he could have dropped a hint. If NR helps those in heart failure, NR could become a bigger deal. 

Edited by bluemoon, 04 August 2018 - 02:48 PM.

• Good Point x 1

#10 johnross47

• 747 posts
  • Location:table 42 in the restaurant at the end of the universe

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:05 PM

- Brenner's currently taking 500 mg NR per day orally, as 250 mg in morning, and 250 mg at night, spaced about 12 hours apart.  Rationale is based on an 8-hour peak blood or tissue level after supplementation, and two daily NAD+ peaks seen in mice.  (Many of us appear to be moving toward this 500 mg/d dosage of NR or NMN.)

- noted 8 important causes of NAD metabolite depletion:  alcohol, overnutrition, noise-induced hearing loss, sun & oxygen damage, time zone disruption, neurodegeneration, heart disease, and aging

- said most such depletion is associated with NRK elevation, implying that NR will be more effective than other B3 supplements

- discourages use of NAD or NMN supplementation on basis that these have phosphate groups that prevent direct use by cell

- rationalized recent trial showing little effect of 12-week 2000 mg NR per day in obese males as being due to slower human disease progression in humans vs. mice

The causes of NAD+ depletion look pretty much the causes of much that we think of as aging, in the form of self-harming activities. When senolytics come out might they fix many of the issues, (if we don't continue to self harm), and allow NAD+ to go back up naturally?

• Good Point x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: niagen, nmn, charles brenner, nicotinamide riboside

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users