• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Memory loss after Niacinamide (b3, nowfood)

niacinamide headache

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Painkillerrr

• 116 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 August 2018 - 09:28 AM

Hello, i tried from 100/200mg to 2g of Niacinamide (nowfood), the first day was nice but after a week im feeling strong headache at any dose with a feeling of dumbness/brainfog, the side effects, luckly i ruturn to baseline after a good sleep. Im wondering if anyone knows why im experencing this effects.

I was interested in Niacinamide mainly because its possible anxiolytic effects.

#2 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 25 August 2018 - 12:57 PM

Niacinamide will kill off mitochondria, starting with the most defective ones. You could lose a third of the total in a week. So heavy dosing is something you want to do intermittently. If you are older, this can be good for you as the remaining mitochondria repopulate the cells. With many cycles you can fix problems that took decades to develop.

• Needs references x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#3 Painkillerrr

• Topic Starter
  • 116 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 August 2018 - 04:16 PM

firtst of all thanks.  im pretty young (19 years old). should this be good as well? i went through a lot of stress and poor sleep in the last months

"kill off mitochondria" could you please link any study? see edit

EDIT: Nicotinamide enhances mitochondria quality through autophagy activation in human cells https://sci-hub.tw/h...ubmed/19473119#

"starting with the most defective ones." it seems it should just kill only bad one: "recently it was suggested that autophagy along with coordinated mitochondrial fissionand fusion selectively removes damaged (depolarized) mito-chondria (Twiget al., 2008a,b)"

"Furthermore, the mRNA levels of PGC-1a,NRF-1, and mtTFA, the key transcription factors responsiblefor the expression of the mitochondrial proteins from eithernuclear or mitochondrial DNA (Canninoet al., 2007), wererather stably maintained and did not get below the levelof the untreated cells (Fig. S1B). These results indicate thatthe down-regulation of mitochondria in the NAM-treated cellsis not due to decreased biogenesis of mitochondria."

"Cellular ROS generation also decreased followingthese changes (actually, a significant decrease in superoxidelevels occurred only at later time points). Despite the reduc-tion in mass, the remaining mitochondria appeared moreintact quality-wise as judged by the increasedDYmand thedecreased superoxide generation. Therefore, NAM, at 5 mMdose,  helps  cells  retain  high-quality  mitochondria"

Over all, our results indicate that NAM treatment helps cellsmaintain functionally intact mitochondria. Eventually, thiswould not only lead to healthier cellular life throughout theirlifespan but also prevent cellular pathologic conditions causedby high level ROS generation.

i tried playing chess i could not really play (lost many point in lichess) because of the lack of energy i felt, i went to sleep at 10 which is really strange. yeah probably it removed too many mitochondria, but now i should "rebuild" newer one so ok, after a day im pretty fine (not perfect since i slept 3/4 hours)

im just wondering if its really a good idea to use it as anxiolytic (since it seems doc. prescribed higher dosage (2-3g), what do you think turnbuckle? i was manly interested in using it during uni exams, but demn i cant go without energy if the dose required for the anxiolytic are that hight

probably ill wait a week and see if a small dose is anxiolytic as well (i pretty sure it is since the first dose was really good)

#4 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 04:52 PM

(since it seems doc. prescribed higher dosage (2-3g)

Always good with nurtrient therapy to start with the lowest possible dose (even if that means taking only a part of capsule) and increase gradually over weeks, months and years. That way you'll always catch an possible adverse reaction earlier. And through your own experience know what to expect at which doses (Everyone is different) and sometime more is not better.

• Agree x 1

#5 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 25 August 2018 - 05:39 PM

As pamojja suggested, use lower doses. I developed a protocol using niacinamide to clear out defective mitochondria. See Manipulating mitochondrial dynamics.

#6 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 06:37 PM

@Painkillerrr At 19 years the most healthy path is likely to stop doing anything for a decade. Stay in shape, exercise, let the old folks be the test rats for a while. At your age the risk of damage is higher than benefit.

• Agree x 1

#7 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 25 August 2018 - 06:55 PM

For anxiolytic effects you can also try niacin. The good thing is that the half life is much shorter, thus the effect on mitochondria is less. The bad things are the flush and the increase in stomach acid. If you try it, start with 50 mg and work up to 500. That way you may avoid the flush altogether.

#8 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:52 PM

For anxiolytic effects you can also try niacin. The good thing is that the half life is much shorter, thus the effect on mitochondria is less. The bad things are the flush and the increase in stomach acid. If you try it, start with 50 mg and work up to 500. That way you may avoid the flush altogether.

Why do you advice Niacin for a person 19 years old? WHat health benefit will the person get??

Edited by stefan_001, 25 August 2018 - 07:53 PM.

#9 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:58 PM

Why do you advice Niacin for a person 19 years old? WHat health benefit will the person get??

He told us in the first post: I was interested in Niacinamide mainly because its possible anxiolytic effects.

#10 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 08:24 PM

He told us in the first post: I was interested in Niacinamide mainly because its possible anxiolytic effects.

ah ok, I stand corrected. Nevertheless not a good age to experiement...

• Good Point x 1

#11 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 25 August 2018 - 08:28 PM

Teenagers are being prescribed all sorts of heavy duty drugs that make niacin look like milk.

• Good Point x 2
  • Agree x 1

#12 Painkillerrr

• Topic Starter
  • 116 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 August 2018 - 08:35 PM

Teenagers are being prescribed all sorts of heavy duty drugs that make niacin look like milk.

Sure, many boy get prescribed stims for adhd even though a lot would usually get better naturally after adolescence

Edited by Painkillerrr, 25 August 2018 - 08:37 PM.

• Good Point x 1

#13 Painkillerrr

• Topic Starter
  • 116 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 August 2018 - 08:39 PM

I guess you dont know how bad is a panic attack during an oral exams at uni

Edited by Painkillerrr, 25 August 2018 - 08:40 PM.

• Good Point x 1

#14 Painkillerrr

• Topic Starter
  • 116 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 August 2018 - 01:38 PM

Pretty sure im returned "normal" after 2 days without taking it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...46918776658.pdf

"A key factor is the bioavailability of nicotinamide, with low concentrations leading to neurological deficits and dementia and high levels potentially causing neurotoxicity. "

But in the same pdf i found no reference about this possible "neurotoxicity". And they should give an idea of the potential damage of nicotinamide neurotoxicity, alcohol is neurotoxic but drinking it once in a while is pretty normal

"A 2017 nicotinamide clinical trial (Safety Study of Nicotinamide to Treat Alzheimer’s Disease; NCT00580931) reported no increase in adverse events, supporting the relative safety of high (1500 mg, twice daily) nicotinamide doses.74"

They took 3g a day

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: niacinamide, headache

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users