• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Elysium licenses NAD+ and sirtuin boosting CD38 inhibitor patent from David Sinclair and Mayo Clinic

nicotinamide riboside cd38

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 August 2018 - 01:55 PM

Seems like professor Sinclair strikes monetary gold again, without even having to peddle supplements. 

Elysium Health™ Announces Exclusive License for Use of Nicotinamide Riboside for the Slowing of Aging and Prevention of Age-Related Diseases from Mayo Clinic and Harvard

https://www.elysiumh...gust-newsletter

Seems to be this patent...? Does not have to be only for oral use, also topical.

https://patents.just...ent/20180085383

• unsure x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#2 ortcloud

• 329 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 08:42 PM

Is this a new license or was it previously granted to someone like Chromadex?

• Enjoying the show x 1

#3 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:34 PM

That patent is for a different drug (or actually covers a giant class of drugs) that inhibit CD38 to increase intracellular NAD+.

#4 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 11:44 PM

I believe you're jumping to a mistaken conclusion here. The headline says "Elysium Health™ Announces Exclusive License for Use of Nicotinamide Riboside for the Slowing of Aging and Prevention of Age-Related Diseases from Mayo Clinic and Harvard" — nothing about CD38. The article does discuss Chini's work on CD38 in NAD+ metabolism, but nothing says they're licensing his patents for this. And they say they're licensing a "pending patent," whereas his CD38 inhibitor patents are already approved and published.

• Informative x 4
  • Good Point x 1

#5 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:03 PM

The CD38 inhibitors would almost certainly be headed down the pharma FDA approval prescription only path.

• Good Point x 1

#6 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 03:29 PM

It's part of the litigation strategy against the Chromadex lawsuit. It appears to me they're looking to buy more time and legitimatize their current manufacturing methods before a court ruling is reached. Or maybe they'll offer an altogether new product? But their NR days appear to be numbered, its just a matter of time.

As best I can find, Elysium developed their own alternate source of NR using the Dartmouth's patented NR formula. This info recently became public. It appears Elysium used a patent troll strategy against Chromadex to claim their own manufacturing rights for NR.

These are the patents at play:
• US 8106184:
• US 8114626:
• US 8197807:
• US 8383086:
• US 7776326:

If you haven't been watching, the mudslinging has been fierce. It appears from court documents Elysium stole product from Chromadex, manufacturing methods, and employees. Then they took the money they should have used to pay for the product they ordered from Chromadex to set up shop with a different manufacturer. They then faked a bunch of documents to convince a manufacturer to make the stuff for them. Then they claimed product safety under the Chromadex GRAS Notice with an undisclosed manufacturing process and a source they would not reveal.

You can see the blow by blow recounts of the litigation on: https://www.right-of...Goose-Is-Cooked this is my source.

"Dr. Brenner patented NR formulated as a health supplement formulated to increase NAD ('807 Patent), and also as a pharmaceutical formulated to increase NAD ('086 Patent). Plus, he patented a way of making the NR.

The Brenner patents were assigned to Dartmouth University, which licensed them to David Sinclair’s company Sirtris. Dr. Leonard Guarente, who later co-founded Elysium, and Dr. Brenner, both served as advisors to Sirtris. (Brenner, Guarente)

Sirtris was bought by GlaxoSmithKline, which eventually shut down Sirtris. The Brenner patent rights then reverted back to Dartmouth, which then licensed them to ChromaDex."

As far as I understand ChromaDex licensed the "exclusive rights" of the patents from the universities that discovered how to make NR. The question to me now emerges can these patents be extended to Elysium Health if ChromaDex licensed the exclusive rights and has not surrendered them?

This litigation is in its final rounds from all accounts. This notice from Elysium Health seems to be a marketing attempt to save face with its customers and "maybe" extend its production of NR which appears to have come to an end. We'll have to see what happens to Elysium Basis after all the dirt is exposed and a judge rules.

I will close by saying; if a new manufacturing method has been patented that would be interesting, but a "pending patent" may have hurdles of its own, and then there are the past issues they will be forced to settle with ChromaDex. If you want the full picture I'd look over https://www.right-of....org/litigation to see where the https://www.elysiumhealth.com/en-us/knowledge/press/elysium-health-announces-exclusive-license-for-use-of-nicotinamide-riboside-for-the-slowing-of-aging-and-prevention-of-age-related-diseases-from-mayo-clinic-and-harvard  Newsletter fits in.

JMHO

Bryan

Edited by Bryan_S, 09 September 2018 - 04:18 PM.

• Informative x 3
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • like x 1

#7 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 04:24 PM

It's part of the litigation strategy against the Chromadex lawsuit. It appears to me they're looking to buy more time and legitimatize their current manufacturing methods before a court ruling is reached. Or maybe they'll offer an altogether new product? But their NR days appear to be numbered, its just a matter of time.

thanks, good write up 

IN MY PERSONAL OPINION Elysium has acted absolutely without conscience here. They have stolen money,stolen property, stolen IP,  and attempted to fraudulently corner the NR market so they could massively inflate the price. 

Patent trolls are the enemy of good business and Elysium is nothing but a patent troll. 

I will never buy a product from that scam of a company. 

When all is said and done, Elysium is going to owe ChromaDex a lot of money: First, it has to pay for all the product it sold -- that's $3M right there; Second, there are trade secret damages, which might be trebled; Third, there is the real possibility of a patent infringement suit, also with treble damages. Elysium's defenses and claimed offsets look to be much smaller than its potential liability.

But Elysium probably doesn't have a load of money to pay a settlement. Elysium is a small company that is presumably investing ahead of growth, like ChromaDex is.

Elysium may actually implode 

Edited by Phoebus, 09 September 2018 - 04:33 PM.

• Good Point x 2

#8 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 05:16 PM

thanks, good write up 

IN MY PERSONAL OPINION Elysium has acted absolutely without conscience here.

Thanks, I've tried to distance myself from the NR topic lately because of crap like this. 

Disclosure, I'm not a shareholder, and I'm not involved with either company.  I'm no longer organizing the NR group buy on these forums. I did interview Charles Brenner, Ph.D. and I do see great potential with NR, but I don't see it as the anti-aging answer. For me, NR helps with inflammation that's it. 

As far as my anti-aging my research points I'm looking at the potential of "epigenetic reprogramming." This is where the next medical advances are, and where turning back the cellular clock has already been demonstrated.

So I see this notice from Elysium Health as a marketing ploy to counterbalance the bad press with ChromaDex. What I can't see happening is Elysium Health getting out from under the 3 million they owe to ChromaDex and the legal expenses they've incurred while trying to circumvent the original patent holders. Now I say that while still considering a "patent pending" which they don't own, one I don't think can save the situation.

JMHO

Bryan

Edited by Bryan_S, 09 September 2018 - 05:22 PM.

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide riboside, cd38

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users