• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Do gluconates (e.g., Magnesium Gluconate) convert to glucose or increase blood sugar?

gluconate minerals

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Fred C. Dobbs

• 24 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 11:50 PM

I am trying to determine whether Magnesium Gluconate is a good supplement for someone on a low-carb diet. I have not found any conclusive info on the web. Magnesium Gluconate has high bioavailability and is easier to use than Mg Glycinate (better tasting and mixing, and no major laxative effect).

Wikipedia says, "The salts of gluconic acid are known as 'gluconates'. Gluconic acid, gluconate salts, and gluconate esters occur widely in nature because such species arise from the oxidation of glucose."

Here are the best references I have found:

Pathways From Gluconic Acid To Glucose In Vivo (1953)

http://www.jbc.org/c.../2/653.full.pdf

Glycemic control of type 2 diabetic patients after short-term zinc supplementation (2008)

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2788197/

Forty-four diabetic patients and 34 normal subjects were supplemented with 50 mg zinc gluconate daily for 4 weeks.

Fasting blood glucose among the diabetics changed from 143.0 +/- 47.48 to 131.5+/- 44.51.

Fasting blood glucose among the non-diabetics changed from 91.2 +/-12.13 to 95.5 +/- 18.99.

Effects of oral zinc gluconate on glucose effectiveness and insulin sensitivity in humans. (1995)

"This study suggests that zinc [gluconate] improves glucose assimilation."

Here is a reference to "conversion of gluconic acid into glucose" in a Journal of the Society of Chemical Industry (1890), and it seems to be a complicated process.

Thank you for any insights you have on this.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gluconate, minerals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users