• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Study is first to show Removing senescent brain cells staves off dementia in mice

senescent

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:12 PM

urging “zombie cells” from the brain could stave off the effects of dementia, a groundbreaking study has found.

The research in mice is the first to show that so-called senescent cells, which enter a state of suspended animation as the body ages, contribute to neurodegeneration. Flushing out these cells was shown to prevent damage, potentially opening a new line of attack against Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia.

Prof Lawrence Rajendran, deputy director of the Dementia Research Institute at King’s College London who was not involved in the study, described the findings as “exciting”.

“It is not only novel in its approach but also opens up new vistas for both diagnosis and therapy for neurodegenerative diseases, including Alzheimer’s,” he said.

The transformation of cells into the semi-dormant, senescent state is part of the body’s natural defences against cancer: when cells have accumulated mutations that could result in uncontrolled growth, the switch to senescence puts the brakes on.

Initially senescent cells were thought to be inert bystanders – useless, but harmless. However, in the past decade that picture has changed as evidence has emerged linking senescent cells to Parkinson’s disease, diabetes, arthritis, heart disease and ageing itself. The latest study adds dementia to this list.

Writing in the journal Nature, the researchers describe how mice with a genetic form of dementia accumulated senescent cells in regions of the brain that are involved in memory and cognition, such as the hippocampus. The mice had been genetically engineered to produce a faulty version of the brain protein tau, which was seen to build up in abnormal tangles as the mice lost the ability to learn and remember new information.

However, when the mice were treated by administering a genetically modified enzyme to sweep away senescent cells as they appeared, the outward symptoms of dementia vanished.

https://www.theguard...ementia-in-mice

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#2 Phoebus

• Topic Starter
  • 851 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:21 PM

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Navitoclax

that appears to be the agent they used, correct me if i am wrong 

so when can I buy that for 19.99 on amazon?

Edited by Phoebus, 19 September 2018 - 10:22 PM.

• like x 1

#3 YOLF

Posted 20 September 2018 - 01:07 AM

Navitoclax causes thrombocytopenia, so I wouldn't take it for long, but the senolytic properties could increase lifespan and stave off aging if you take it for a limited time or only periodically.

• Good Point x 1

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:22 PM

Navitoclax causes thrombocytopenia, so I wouldn't take it for long, but the senolytic properties could increase lifespan and stave off aging if you take it for a limited time or only periodically.

Same as with other senolytic compounds such as the chemotherapy drugs. These are "blunt instruments" that affect a lot of cells in your body.

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#5 Phoebus

• Topic Starter
  • 851 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 01:58 PM

honestly though that doesn't sound like the worst side effect ever. Especially if you take it short term, you can recover from that. 

I would likley do this if I could get it prescribed and that was the major side effect 

#6 Ducky-001

• Registrant
  • 32 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:12 PM

Seems to be available here - http://www.adooq.com...navitoclax.html

#7 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 03:23 PM

Did anyone ever figure out if fox04dri crosses the BBB?

#8 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:49 PM

So on the subject of official trials, UBX is running a clinical trial on humans with Dasatinib and Quercetin soon, choosing osteoarthritis as a target (for some stupid FDA related reason no doubt). It's just phase I so we probably won't glean any dosing protocols from it like we would with Phase II but I am wondering what they'd do with Novitoclax in humans, how it would be dosed and if anyone has tried this yet on their own.

#9 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 05:56 PM

Yeah, the FDA doesn't recognize "aging" as a disease, so if you're going to do a clinical trial you have to justify it by treating some recognized disease.

More evidence of our outdated FDA impeding progress.

• like x 1

#10 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:53 PM

Is there something illegal about running trials targeting specific biomarkers?

#11 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:28 PM

I'm not sure about clinical trials, but I am certain that under current FDA procedure drugs can only be approved to treat specific diseases, and aging isn't recognized as a disease by the FDA.  Give the cost of human trials, very few drug companies would have an interest in funding one that didn't have a potential path to an approved drug.

What that means is that things that have potential anti-aging applications normally get investigated for certain age related diseases.  Adult diabetes for example.  Some anti-aging treatments are difficult to link to a specific disease so they some times end up out in the cold.

Take for instance this potential of using senolytics to prevent Alzheimer's.  How would you run a clinical trial for that?  It probably isn't going to work very well if you give it to someone that already has Alzheimer's.  The potential is if you treat someone with senolytics periodically before they show symptoms of Alzheimer's you might delay or prevent them from getting it.  I have no idea how you'd run a trial for that.  Treat a group periodically with senolytics for a decade or two and then see if they get Alzheimer's at a lower rate than a control group?  Seems impractical, or at least it would take far too long.

On the other hand, if you could approve a drug to treat aging, it would be relatively easy to prove whether or not your proposed senolytic actually reduced the senescent cell population.

We have seen a revolution in our understanding of how the human body works and how drugs are created.  But the FDA is still using an approval process virtually unchanged from what was created in the 1960s.

• Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: senescent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users