Low Nitric Oxide/ Oxidative stress

oxidative nitric oxide

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:32 PM

I used the Berkeley test strips and just found out my nitric oxide seems to be very depleted. I would’ve never guessed this since I take a lot of supplements that boost NO. I’m thinking I have high oxidative stress which is what is causing this. Are there certain supplements you want to avoid if you are under oxidative stress and if so what would they be?
  • like x 1

#2 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 02:17 AM

Don't know what supps might antagonize NO, but optimized iron homeostasis should reduce oxidative stress (iron being the ultimate pro-oxidant, & the hydroxyl radical one of the most destructive forces in the human body).  

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/14637247

Labile iron pool: the main determinant of cellular response to oxidative stress.

The trace amounts of "free" iron can catalyse production of a highly toxic hydroxyl radical via Fenton/Haber-Weiss reaction cycle. The critical factor appears to be the availability and abundance of cellular labile iron pool (LIP) that constitutes a crossroad of metabolic pathways of iron-containing compounds and is midway between the cellular need of iron, its uptake and storage. To avoid an excess of harmful "free" iron, the LIP is kept at the lowest sufficient level by transcriptional and posttranscriptional control of the expression of principal proteins involved in iron homeostasis. The putative sources of cellular LIP, its homeostasis and its role in the cellular response to oxidative stress are discussed.

-----------------

Ferritin & Transferrin saturation (TSAT) blood labs are the best guide to your homeostasis.  TSAT should be in the middle third of the normal range and optimal ferritin levels 50-100.  

Quercetin, Curcumin & IP6 are good iron chelators, & coffee & tea inhibit absorption of dietary iron.  Whole blood donation the fastest way to lower iron.  

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 John250

• Topic Starter
  • 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 September 2018 - 03:24 AM

My ferritin is actually on the lower end

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: oxidative, nitric oxide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users