Photo

Fisetin: Senolytic!

fisetin senolytic

• Please log in to reply
1079 replies to this topic

#391 dripdropdrip

• 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:57 PM

Hi folks, I've been following this thread and been interested in participating in the self experimentation. Clearly all self experimentation will be ineffective or harmful unless you have a good clean source of Fisetin. 

Here are some thoughts on sources:

1) Get if from the same source as they used in the mouse study. In terms of recreating the same positive effect it would make sense to get Fisetin from the same source. Also that source tests the purity and displays it for each batch/lot on the website so it's a know value. The problem is that when I contacted them they stated "Our products are only for professional lab research (experiments) use only, not for human use (or medical treatment)". Well that stinks. I guess we could ignore that warning but I'm not sure how risky that is. Also we would have to pretend to be lab to order it. 

2) Off the shelf products like Dr Best or Rejuvenation Therapeutics. 
    a) There are no purity test for these products and since supplements are unregulated it could be 90% filler. If the purity is low then you have not taken enough to recreate the mouse experiment and will never see any result like those.
    b) Worse these unregulated products could be contaminated and cause poisoning or harm from that contaminant when taken in large quantities. When taking Rejuvenation Therapeutics a few people have noted high body temperatures during their experimentation. Some here have pointed to this as a possible indicator of effectiveness. It could also be an indicator of contamination and the high body temperature a reaction to that contamination. Just a possibility but as scientists we must look at all possibilities.

I'm not sure anyone here who has done a self experiment has actually recreated the mouse study. In other words I don't know if anyone here has obtained Fisetin with a purity level of greater then 95%. I know we all want the same effect on ourselves as they got in the mouse study. So our very first step should be finding a Fisetin source that has a measured purity and that is fit for human use.

What are your thoughts on the following possibilities?
1) We could buy Fisetin off the shelf and test the purity. Suggestions on how to test the purity?
2) We could buy Fisetin from a trustworthy company that tests and reports the purity. Any suggestions on companies like this?
3) Another option I did not think of.

• like x 2

#392 Oakman

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:07 AM

on #1 perhaps these folks could help... http://homebrewbio.tech/

• Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#393 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:24 AM

As far as I coukd fund in the past most products use the Fisetin ingredient from Cyvix called Nuvosetin. Cyvix looks real and reliable. Thats what I check on the label when I buy.
  • like x 1

#394 Engadin

• 198 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:20 PM

As far as I coukd fund in the past most products use the Fisetin ingredient from Cyvix called Nuvosetin. Cyvix looks real and reliable. Thats what I check on the label when I buy.

Would you please post a link to Cyvix? I am unable to find it in terms of chemical company. Thanks.

#395 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:42 PM

Would you please post a link to Cyvix? I am unable to find it in terms of chemical company. Thanks.

sorry its cyvex nutrition

But it seems things have happened. Cyvex is owned by https://omegaprotein.com. Since omegaprotein has also acquired Bioriginal and it seems novusetin is moved to that portfolio:

https://www.biorigin...ents/novusetin/

• Informative x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#396 Vastmandana

• 123 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:30 AM

Novusetin is what I use also... I've bought unspecified Fisetin before but no longer use it.

#397 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:41 PM

http://www.nrcresear...59#.XD5WglFoSM8

Fisetin, a potential caloric restriction mimetic, attenuates senescence biomarkers in rat erythrocytes

• Informative x 3

#398 ambivalent

• 744 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:50 PM

Additional Fisetin anecdote.

For several years now I have experienced something I would describe as a waking apnea - lying on my back starting to relax there was a jerk in my breathing, a slight choking - I would occasionally experience quite dramatic ones while asleep. The waking ones were quite consistent and predictable, I could anticipate them as soon as I reached a certain point of relaxation in what was I presume a certain position. These appear to have all but stopped, when I relax now, I, with perhaps the odd exception, experience an anticipatory sense of it, but nothing occurring. This seems to have correlated with my first of two high doses of Fisetin  (3 g in OliveO, followed by 4g recently).

In my post (#208) I noted immediate improvement in breathing in asthma/allergy conditions, so there may be a relationship.

Three people, friends and family have taken one to three capsules of Fisetin - all experienced a mild runny nose.

• Informative x 3

#399 LarryG

• Registrant
  • 38 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:33 PM

I have two observations....it seems with the focus on Fisetin, the fact that Curcumin is also quite senolytic, second only to Fisetin, cheap, highly absorbable if bought in the right formulation, and readily available.   So, why aren't people taking high levels of absorbable curcumin as a senolytic?  Seems like a sensible thing to do.

Next, I will post a link to a study of the formation of food grade nano emulsions using easily obtained ingredients like TWEEN 80 (polysorbate 80) as a surfacant and an oil, such as d-limonene/nisin, with minimal agitation and at room temp, producing 20nm size particles with gentle agitation.  It would seem that this would greatly increase absorption of Fisetin.  Scroll down to table 7 to see what I mean.

So, why not take curcumin aggressively, and why not make an emulsion to reduce the particle size of fisetin?  https://onlinelibrar...1541-4337.12189

Edited by LarryG, 08 February 2019 - 09:33 PM.

• Informative x 4
  • Good Point x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#400 Moondancer

• 188 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:48 AM

So I took a high dose of curcumin, 5000mg Meriva, 800mg Longvida, 1200mg BCM-95 Bio Curcumin, so 7000mg total. Too low of a dose?

My weight is 42 kg (that's what severe cachexia can do to you). 

I usually take high doses of sulforaphane too: should I stop with that?

Indeed: way too early and rather stupid to try this out without clinical trials. I've also wondered about liver damage from taking such high doses.

But with the number my chronic inflammatory disease is doing on my body and the severe cachexia, I feel I don't have much time to wait for clinical trials. And with some bottles still standing in my fridge and inflammation sky high again, I was ready to try whatever.

At Joshmitteldorf  it was suggested (high doses of) Fisetin and Turmeric would cause toposomerase inhibition, on another note. I've not seen this discussed here?

#401 Engadin

• 198 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:38 AM

So I took a high dose of curcumin, 5000mg Meriva, 800mg Longvida, 1200mg BCM-95 Bio Curcumin, so 7000mg total. Too low of a dose?

Hi Moondancer, just to widen your already wide knowledge on curcumin products, perhaps you are not aware yet there is a new kid in the block: curcumin analog EF24, not available but indoubtedly attractive enough to get to the market soon. ( https://www.aging-us...cle/101787/text ). It looks promising so you can use it instead of your ' curcumin cocktail'.

• Informative x 1

#402 Engadin

• 198 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:27 PM

Given the bioavailability of Meriva (48 fold), LongVida (100 fold) and BCM95 (27 fold) (source: https://examine.com/...ments/curcumin/), the equivalent of your 7 grms. cocktail is 352,4 grms. of unformulated curcumin. IMHO, isn't it perhaps a too high dose? On the other hand, if LongVida's bioavailability scores highest, it could look like a good idea to adhere to a single dose of LongVida instead of a cocktail including not so bioavailable options. (I don't have any commercial interest with LongVida at all, just a bit more practical approach).

Edited by Engadin, 09 February 2019 - 12:29 PM.

#403 Oakman

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:06 PM

I have two observations....it seems with the focus on Fisetin, the fact that Curcumin is also quite senolytic, second only to Fisetin, cheap, highly absorbable if bought in the right formulation, and readily available.   So, why aren't people taking high levels of absorbable curcumin as a senolytic?  Seems like a sensible thing to do.

Next, I will post a link to a study of the formation of food grade nano emulsions using easily obtained ingredients like TWEEN 80 (polysorbate 80) as a surfacant and an oil, such as d-limonene/nisin, with minimal agitation and at room temp, producing 20nm size particles with gentle agitation.  It would seem that this would greatly increase absorption of Fisetin.  Scroll down to table 7 to see what I mean.

So, why not take curcumin aggressively, and why not make an emulsion to reduce the particle size of fisetin?  https://onlinelibrar...1541-4337.12189

Not sure about 'people', but I absolutely included Curcumin (liposomal) in my senolytic therapy, because it was the 2nd in activity in the often quoted study. But that's was not the only 'other' activator I used beside Fisetin. Multiple activators may allow for lower doses and better activation.

#404 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:37 PM

Ambivalent, Fisetin is a strong suppressor of mast cell activation, this may be why you are breathing better.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...ubmed/19702784/
  • Informative x 2

#405 ambivalent

• 744 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:14 PM

Thanks William,

The allergic improvement was overnight and complete - I have now attributed it to a probable long standing zinc deficiency, likely exacerbated by N/NR increasing histamine - I placed a paper buried somewhere in the NR experiences thread indicating Nicotinamides role in raising histamine. I started zinc maybe a couple of weeks after the first fisetin dose - the allergic improvement was overnight, post-Fisetin, though I'm pretty sure I initially observed the apnea change pre-zinc, post-fisetin, it was a more loosely observed condition compared to the allergy, which was pretty bad. Anyhow this OT. Great find and thanks I'm pretty sure there was another account of improved breathing in the thread.

#406 LarryG

• Registrant
  • 38 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:15 PM

Curcumin...what I just read is that curcumin is positive as regards the liver for certain conditions, but about 5% of people taking high doses, it is said to increase liver enzymes, but no discussion of existing liver problems or confounding substances, i.e., high levels of alcohol, etc.  Several problems here.  I can't find yet exactly what curcumin the woman cited was taking and what they are calling "high doses", and, to confound the problem, she was said to be taking 20 other meds and supplements, not specified.  Was she using curcumin supplements, or taking raw turmeric?  I know my liver enzymes are not out of range and I take two different absorbable curcumin supplements every day.

NHS mentioned a curcumin study on mice and it slowed liver disease, not increased it.  And there are other studies on rats, for instance.  So, there is so much we don't know.  As I wrote, above, might it not be good to use basic solvent solutions to reduce particle size to increase the absorption of fisetin?  If someone could interpret the study into a formula for us, it would be helpful.

• like x 1

#407 LarryG

• Registrant
  • 38 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:08 PM

FYI, azithromycin is easily obtainable.  Research on people with cystic fibrosis has revealed that azithromycin and also roxithromycin are sineolytic and may be the reason why long term use helps CF, perhaps by removing sineolytic cells in the  lungs.  A study used 250 or 500 mg three times a week for 6 months, dose dependent on weight.  Presumably an adult would use 500mg.  There are some complications, none serious except for those who have a heart rhythm problem called long QT interval.  If you have this issue, I wouldn't suggest any macrolide antibiotic.  Roxi is more sineolytic than azithro.  I will post a link to a NIH reported study showing "we see that Azithromycin preferentially targets senescent cells, removing approximately 97% of them with great efficiency. This represents a near 25-fold reduction in senescent cells."

Now, as to fisetin, I think the following.  It's 4% absorbable.  Taking 200mg gives you 8mg absorbed.  It would be hard and expensive to get a therapeutic dose without improving absorption, which I am researching.  Comparing it to curcumin, which is half as effective, say, yet is very absorbable if taken as one of several commercial preparations, such as Meriva, or BCM-95, and while less effective as a substance, you'd get a far greater dose.  I think that you could take up to 1.5g daily with no real risk.  So, as I find anything about improving absorption of fisetin, I'll post it.  Here's the link to the study I mentioned.  https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/30428454

• like x 1

#408 Psy

• 22 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:22 AM

Now, as to fisetin, I think the following.  It's 4% absorbable.  Taking 200mg gives you 8mg absorbed.  It would be hard and expensive to get a therapeutic dose without improving absorption, which I am researching. 

In my opinion fisetin is much higher absorbable with DMSO as solvent. The flu signs are much higher as with olive or mct oil.

Edited by Psy, 11 February 2019 - 12:24 AM.

#409 LarryG

• Registrant
  • 38 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:46 PM

It is soluble in DMSO and it has been used in mice by injection into their intestines.  But the question is whether it is absorbed into the body if DMSO/fisetin is rubbed on the skin, or if it is absorbed if taken internally by humans as a DMSO/fisetin mixture, and then, how much DMSO/fisetin/water is in the mixture.  I'm looking for actually scientific studies on fisetin absorbtion.  It has been shown that nano emulsions do improve absorption of fisetin and that nano emulsions, I think, can be made at home from things like Twee80 and D-limonene, presumably in water but I don't know the mixture.  An improved absorbtion fisetin product has been experimentally used for medical trials but I can find no product available to the public, in the same vein as Curcumin is conjugated to increase absorption.  I am surprised that there has been no such commercial product.

• Needs references x 1

#410 Martini

• 19 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:48 PM

It is soluble in DMSO and it has been used in mice by injection into their intestines.  But the question is whether it is absorbed into the body if DMSO/fisetin is rubbed on the skin, or if it is absorbed if taken internally by humans as a DMSO/fisetin mixture, and then, how much DMSO/fisetin/water is in the mixture.  I'm looking for actually scientific studies on fisetin absorbtion.  It has been shown that nano emulsions do improve absorption of fisetin and that nano emulsions, I think, can be made at home from things like Twee80 and D-limonene, presumably in water but I don't know the mixture.  An improved absorbtion fisetin product has been experimentally used for medical trials but I can find no product available to the public, in the same vein as Curcumin is conjugated to increase absorption.  I am surprised that there has been no such commercial product.

Hi Larry,
where did you find the 4% absorbability of Fisetin? I was reading about an oral bioavailability of 44.1% (50mg/kg) in rats with a rapid biotransformation to FIS glucuronides and less FIS sulfates. My understanding is that the strong liver metabolism leads to a quick degradiation of unmetabolized Fisetin.

• Needs references x 1

#411 LarryG

• Registrant
  • 38 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:21 AM

Thanks....trying to find where I saw that.  I read exactly what you read also.  My problem is that fisetin is constantly referred to as being poorly available due to it's having very poor solubility in water.  It is soluble in various solvents.  Also on here and in studies a lot of attention is being paid to increasing bioavailability.  Lots of discussion on here about absorbtion through the skin using dmso.  If it's truly about 40% available, that should be satisfactory.  Much has been made in discussions about the difference between mouse absorbtion of fisetin and human absorbtion.  I'll try to find that.  I've read so much about fisetin, it's a real mountain by now.  I'll see what I can find.  If you can understand why there is so much discussion of bioavailability and solubility, let me know.

• Needs references x 1

#412 Vastmandana

• 123 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:03 AM

Assume this is being explored... just takes time... I now use a couple different enhanced delivery curcumins like RevGen's MetaCurcumin and recently switched to LEF's Bio-Quercetin phytosome...  Other companies now have the phytosome Q and I'm sure they're all pushing for such a cocktail for fisetin, given all the growing interest.  I'm just mega dosing monthly now and continuing with my lower daily doses (which I've been doing for a few years now...)  I'll wait for lab absorption data on new delivery methods before straying too far

We live in interesting times!

Edited by Vastmandana, 12 February 2019 - 03:06 AM.

#413 ambivalent

• 744 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:03 PM

Even though I've had some positive effects on Fisetin, I'm still somewhat concerned as to how successful I've cleared the senescent cells. No one appears to have reported the strong flu-like symptoms of D+Q with Fisetin - I had a bit of a runny nose when applying Fisetin with DMSO and the very mildest of headaches when taking 4 grams in olive oil. In the mouse study, I believe Fisetin was shown to be a better senolytic than Dasatinib, yet the effects of D seem anecdotally stronger in humans. Bio-availability, dosing, translatability or might the flu-like symptoms with D+Q mean something other than senescent cell clearance? Next dose I plan to add in lecithin.

Edited by ambivalent, 13 February 2019 - 03:04 PM.

• Informative x 1

#414 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:19 PM

Maybe the effects you're attributing to the senolytic action of dasatnib are actually just other side effects of that drug and are not indicative of how much senolytic activity we're getting.  After all, clearing senescent cells certainly isn't the only thing this compound is doing.

• Agree x 3
  • Good Point x 2

#415 Martini

• 19 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:43 PM

Thanks....trying to find where I saw that.  I read exactly what you read also.  My problem is that fisetin is constantly referred to as being poorly available due to it's having very poor solubility in water.  It is soluble in various solvents.  Also on here and in studies a lot of attention is being paid to increasing bioavailability.  Lots of discussion on here about absorbtion through the skin using dmso.  If it's truly about 40% available, that should be satisfactory.  Much has been made in discussions about the difference between mouse absorbtion of fisetin and human absorbtion.  I'll try to find that.  I've read so much about fisetin, it's a real mountain by now.  I'll see what I can find.  If you can understand why there is so much discussion of bioavailability and solubility, let me know.

After studying the data of PMID: 19090755 I can confirm that the IV absorption of free Fisetin is 4%. After oral dose it is only 0,26 %.

Nevertheless the absolute bioavailability of 44% is not an important value as the amount of free Fisetin is very small even after IV administration.

I believe it is very plausible that the metabolites of fisetin lead to the senolytic activity.

To quote from the above study

These metabolites should play more important roles in in vivo activities than their parent forms. Several recent studies found the sulfates/glucuronides of morin and quercetin showed more promising bioactivities than their free forms

#416 LarryG

• Registrant
  • 38 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:24 AM

Thanks Martini.  So, do you have an opinion on oral supplementation of fisetin?  Worthwhile or not and at what dose?  Any benefit to dissolving it in, say, PEG80 and d-limonene?  Not having a science background, I could use an informed opinion on the issue.  I was thinking that perhaps absorbable curcumin might be more reliable.  Or, just go with dasatinib  and quercetin.  I noticed that dasatnib is off patent in India and far, far cheaper....i.e., about $135 for 50mg x 60. 

#417 Martini

• 19 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:37 AM

Thanks Martini.  So, do you have an opinion on oral supplementation of fisetin?  Worthwhile or not and at what dose?  Any benefit to dissolving it in, say, PEG80 and d-limonene?  Not having a science background, I could use an informed opinion on the issue.  I was thinking that perhaps absorbable curcumin might be more reliable.  Or, just go with dasatinib  and quercetin.  I noticed that dasatnib is off patent in India and far, far cheaper....i.e., about $135 for 50mg x 60. 

Hi Larry,

Basically I believe it is worthwhile and also not too risky. The metabolism seems to be quite similar to that one of quercetin and we can use the much broader study bases.

I tried fisetin twice with 1800mg daily for two consecutive days with a regimen similar to that one of 302# by Nate-2004:

I do this once or twice a week with 100g parsley and 3 stalks of celery in a blender with 2 cups water, 3 tbsp ground flax, and 100g almonds and walnuts with a banana

I eleminated the walnuts, banana and water, but added 200 mg of isoquercetin and red wine instead. Furthermore I am taking Trikatu as a bioavailability enhancer regularly. With this regimen I had surprising effects.

At my first trial my wife had a serious flu with high fever and I felt like getting it as well. After taking this mixture the symptoms disappeared completely and I had a very good feeling in the whole body for several days.

My second trial with the same regime one month later gave me a similar feeling. However for the following four weeks my sport performance (I am a regular runner) went down. So I think some kind of clearance happened. I am planning to repeat the regime from now on with a two-month break in between.

• Informative x 2

#418 LarryG

• Registrant
  • 38 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:29 PM

Again, thanks.  As to curcumin, I have prolonged QT but not quite enough to be long qt syndrome.  I just read that curcumin can prolong long QT UNLESS it is an encapsulated lipopolymeric hybrid nanoparticle formulation.  I am trying to digest this article to figure out which commercially available curcumin fits the bill, if any.  https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3878673/

#419 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 12:06 AM

Several things, addressing issues arising at different points in this thread:

Protocol: most people are defaulting to the Mayo Clinic's study protocol of 20 mg/kg/day, orally for 2 consecutive days (often with some effort to enhance bioavailability). The dose seems about right or a little bit high based on either the HED method or true allometric scaling, but on reflection the time period does not: in the rodents, the acute clearance protocol was 5 days, and if anything the idea of "biological time" might suggest a longer period for a longer-lived mammal.

Fisetin metabolites: someone suggested that these might have senolytic activity. Remember, the original basis for looking at fisetin was in vitro evidence that the unmetabolized parent molecule had substantial senolytic activity in vitro: it would be very suprising if the detoxification products — which are formed, exactly, to chemically castrate them and ensure their rapid removal from the circualtion — had similar activity.

NAC or other GSH precursors/boosters: Someone suggested taking these to protect the liver. I'm not clear on why anyone's worried about this in the first place: fisetin has shown no acute toxicity at much higher doses (in rodents) than used in this study, and in this study “Amylase and alanine aminotransferase (ALT) were significantly lower in serum of aged WT mice fed the diet supplemented with fisetin, consistent with improved pancreatic and liver homeostasis (Fig. 5C). … Finally, fisetin reduced oxidative stress in the liver of old WT mice (Fig. 5L-M)."

In any case, the notion that NAC or other GSH precursors/boosters against any putative toxicity is an overextrapolation from the fact that these protect hte liver against acetaminophen poisoning. The latter is a quite specific effect, which results from the fact that GSH is required to detoxify acetaminophen, and depletes the liver of same: it doesn't apply generically to hepatotoxicity, and I'm not aware of any reason to think that it would apply to fisetin.

Thymic rejuvenation: OP2040 asked if thymic rejuvenation would be a powerful way to deal with age-related accumulation of senescent cells (SEN). Unfortunately, this won't work: the thymus produces T-cells, whereas the cells responsible for immunosurveillance of SEN are natural killer cells. As you may know, SENS Research Foundation has launched a collaboration with Dr. Judith Campisi to develop rejuvenation biotechnology to augment the ability of NK immunosurveillance of senescent cells.

Curcumin: a number of people have expressed enthusiasm for using curcumin as a senolytic, based on the in vitro studies in the recent fisetin paper. I am highly skeptical that curcumin has senolytic effects in vivo. People following the literature will know that long-term studies of senolytic drug or gene therapies have consistently reported some degree of at least median life expectancy, with credible maximum life extension reported for fisetin (!). If curcumin had senolytic effects (and wasn't otherwise terribly toxic), you'd expect a similar result, even with no attention paid to effects on SEN. But there have been several well-done lifespan studies using curcumin in otherwise-healthy aging mice, and not one of them has found a significant effect on even median life expectancy.

Hokinol: a couple of people have suggested this as a possible senolytic. I'm not clear on where this idea comes from: I can find no evidence for it at all, even in vitro. Can anyone elucidate?

IAC, I don't think it's going to fly, even if there's a mouse study our there showing such an effect: I'm prepared to stand corrected if there are counterexamples, but every in vivo study of hokinol for any purpose that I've seen has delivered the stuff in a lipid emulsion via injection — a crazy thing to try at home, and it's unlikely they'd be doing it if oral or even regular i.p. injections would do the trick.

Fasting as senolytic: I have seen a number of posts in this thread and elsewhere (on Longecity and beyond) suggesting that fasting destroys senescent cells. I am aware of zero evidence for this, and lots of reasons to believe that it doesn't happen. It seems to have come about from wild overextrapolation from Valter Longo's studies showing that fasting can trigger apoptosis in autoreactive T-cells, which are a different kind of "bad cells" altogether. AFAICS, neither Longo nor anyone else has done any studies showing that fasting triggers the death of SEN.

In fact, a prominent feature of senescent cells is exactly that they have high, not low, activation of the autophagy-lysosomal system. This is exactly the basis for the widely-used sanescence-associated beta-galactosidase (SA-β-gal) assay for SEN: senescent cells have far more active lysosomes than nonsenescent cells do, with the result that while SA-β-gal — which is a lysosomal enzyme — is undetectable in non-senescent cells under the standard assay conditions, it is prominent in senescent cells. In fact, activation of autophagy is necessary for the conversion of cells to senescence (PMID 19279323, and rapamycin — whose principle mechanism of action is to suppress mTOR and thereby activate autophagy  — reduces the rate at which cells under stress become senescent and inhibits the SASP, but has no effect on SEN survival once they're formed (eg. PMIDs 21715679, 28371119, 19471117 ). (This is fully consistent with the fact that animals on CR per se accumulate fewer senescent cells as they age (PMIDs 26983960, 20844316, 29575469) — including, apparently, CR humans (PMID 29575469 ).

By contrast, inhibiting autophagy has been shown to trigger the death of in senescent cells with exceptionally high SASP engagement (PMID 23945590).

Piperlongumine: forget this until we have in vivo evidence of senolytic activity, long-term safety, and a reliable standardized supply, folks: see here and subsequent posts.

• Informative x 8
  • Good Point x 4
  • unsure x 2
  • like x 2

#420 male_1978

• 109 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 07:05 AM

Would it be possible to use fistin (or another senolytic) to kill senescent cells in the skin by topical use? Anyone with a good idea or who even tried this?

• Good Point x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fisetin, senolytic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users