- - - - -

The science of collagen

collagen

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 dosquito

• 253 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 01:52 AM

I just want to caution you guys about the dangers of excess collagen. Do some research. It’s not a joke.
  • Needs references x 5
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#32 Phoebus

• Topic Starter
  • 851 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:09 AM

I just want to caution you guys about the dangers of excess collagen. Do some research. It’s not a joke.

such as...? 

got any more info on that? 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 dosquito

• 253 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:31 AM

all sorts of fibrotic disorders involve collagen. There’s some speculation that it’s involved in peyronies, for example. just google dangers of excess collagen.
  • Needs references x 3
  • Good Point x 1

#34 OP2040

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 October 2018 - 11:57 AM

I think what dosquito is referring to is that collagen deposition is a hallmark of fibrotic diseases in general.  As part of the inflammatory process that gets out of control as we age, or that cannot be healed in a timely manner, the body's backup plan is often to deposit excess collagen in the ECM, presumably in an attempt to stabilize the area.  Since we have lost the regenerative capacity at that point, instead of stabilizing, the collagen deposition along with fibrotic disease continues.

Like so many similar debates on this forum, it is all speculation though.  It is similar to the debate about cholesterol.  We know that cholesterol is not the disease itself, it is only when cholesterol is oxidized and foam cells form, etc that it becomes a problem.  But most people, including the establishment, have dropped the idea that eating cholesterol directly results in plaque formation, there is no evidence for that at all.  It should be the same with collagen.  Unless you currently have a fibrotic disease state in your body, then eating collagen should not cause any problems, and you will get the benefits.

What's missing in all these discussions is that diseases are processes, not 1:1 things.  The key with collagen is that we need to know how to make sure it is doing it's job in initiating a regenerative process, and not collagen deposition.  I would say that if you are under 60 and have  no serious inflammatory conditions, then you are probably safe.  But inflammation is key here.  And technically speaking, I personally think macrophage polarization to M2 is the key to whether these things will work or not.

• Informative x 4
  • like x 3
  • Agree x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#35 nickdino

• 162 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 12:59 PM

Phoebus, which specific products do you recommend and/or use yourself?
I've noticed that i would be using a lot less of biocell or uc2 than what i'm using now which is one scoop of neocell 1&3. By the way, i like to mix it in a glass of my selfmade milk-kefir, is that (dis)advantageous?

a lot of this research is surprisingly new, one of the studies I linked here just came out this month.

Its odd that collagen hasn't been studied that much, but it hasn't

Biocell is my go to brand. It is low molecular weight collagen, making it easier to absorb

interesting, got any articles to link?

#36 nickdino

• 162 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:14 AM

I have been taking biocell collagen, 5 - 10 g/day, for about 4 weeks now.

It has very noticable affects on joint pain and a pleasantly surprising benefical effect on my face skin. Less wrinkles, and firmer tighter skin. Biocell is type II only.

I would like to a see a study that compare placebo vs CI vs CII vs CIII and see which collagen type is most effective in various conditions. I have looked by cant find such a study.

Yes exactly, its easy for a company to prove that collagen does SOMEthing but is it better than regular?
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#37 OP2040

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 November 2018 - 10:56 PM

I was thinking of making a face mask recipe for my girlfriend.  She is always asking me for advice on things she finds online (e.g. Amazon).   When I look at some of these formulations it's like they kind of have a clue but then just start adding in random things, or missing very important potential ingredients.  So here is the start of the mask I would like to make, and I'd love to hear your opinions on it, and what might be added or take away to make it better.

1.  Obviously Collagen - I may add in extra glycine since I have it and since glycine is proven to be anti-aging, not just good for skin)

2.  Olive Oil  - We all know about the benefits of olive oil, but this will also be used to make it into a paste

3.  Hyalauronic acid - This one requires some extra considerations.  It is very, very important for skin regeneration.  But it is also important as a delivery mechanism.  The delivery depends on the molecular weight.  I think it needs to be a low molecular weight to be able to penetrate.  Like all potentially regenerative therapies, it can exacerbate cancer in a damaged environment.  The inclusion of the other factors listed here should help with that, although the etiology of skin cancer is almost alwasy due to sun damage so I'm not overly concerned.

4. Curcumin - this is probably the most broad-based anti-inflammatories since it acts on so many different pathways (COX, LOX, etc., etc.)  The assumption here is that one of the reasons regeneration doesn't happen with age is the increasingly overactive inflammatory balance.  Take periodontal disease for example.  It has been shown that the immune system reaction is one of the main causes of damage, and also creates the environment for the bacteria to further damage tissue.  Eliminating these inflammatory immune over-reactions is a necessary condition for regeneration IMHO.

There you have it, fairly simple.  What am I missing?  Also, delivery is hugely important, and another reason I don't trust cosmetic formulations.  Most of them don't have any ingredient that would lead me to believe the substance will get delivered to where it is needed.  Would love to hear your opinions on delivery mechanisms as well.  I have considered derma-rollers or microneedling as it should have the added benefit of of inducing all the repair signaling necessary for regeneration.  Have at it...  :-D

Edited by OP2040, 12 November 2018 - 10:58 PM.

#38 osris

• 518 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 01:51 PM

So how many grams of collagen should we take for skin benefits - 1 gram (as the quoted study above suggests) or 6 grams? Collagen isn’t cheap so obviously if 1 gram will confer skin benefits then why take 6 grams?

Edited by osris, 11 December 2018 - 01:53 PM.

#39 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 January 2019 - 03:37 AM

Aren't all these studies financed by the makers of the collagen supps? Or is there an 'independent' study?

• Good Point x 3

#40 KBAnthis

• 91 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:56 PM

In my own trials with collagen I have noticed a few things that benefited me. I have tried Fortigel - 500 grams in 10 gram doses, and also for about 3 years now I have taken Custom Collagen at the rate of about 10 grams or so a day. Sometimes I do take more, like an extra 5 grams or even a total of 20 grams throughout the day but it is rare. Be warned collagen can cause constipation. Be sure to get plenty of fiber. I eat black lentils daily which is a good source of fiber. Black beans woulod be a good source also. Both these contain anthocyanidins which have great benefits. I injured my knee by driving to much when I was a taxi driver, and wore heavy large boots in the winter. Being a very tall and large person I didn't fit into the car ideally so it complicated my positioning on operating the pedals. After injuring my knee from to much stress on the joint I rested for about 2 years. I had trouble with it the entire time and have had problems with it occasionally. Collagen and at least 2 grams of vitamin c a day has helped. I tried hyaluronic acid and it helped but I enjoy pine bark extract more. When I tried them together I had way to much synovial fluid , my hands were swollen and it was rather comical. I wasn't in pain when I walked though. I now prefer pine bark extract and collagen with vitamin C. I take the pine bark and vitamin c together and the collagen I will do separate and sometimes add to coffee. It is very good tasting in coffee. I heard somewhere collagen increase NGF by 20% and I apologize for no reference.

The foritgel was expensive. They have studies and it was I think 2000 Dalton range of type 1 and 3 collagen from bovine skin. The custom collagen is 2-4000 Dalton range and is similar to Gelita Bioactive collagen peptides in Dalton weight. I enjoy the custom collagen since it is grass fed. Gelita is not as popular in the USA and I thought they were aimed to towards the European market if I recall correctly. I thought the cows came from Germany but I could be wrong. Either way the 2-4000 Dalton range is good for bones, tendons, joints, ligaments, skin, body toning. I may benefit from taking more than 10 grams a day and I might start again after I order more next month, if I can increase my fiber, which I may not be able to. I will have to experiment.  It has helped rebuild my knee and hip. The big things are mineral intake adequacy and zero unhealthy fats. JUST REALLY ZERO. Trans0fats block blood flow to the areas and are the main culprit to all blood flow injuries in the USA, that and combined with inadequate mineral and vitamin consumption with lack of antioxidants and green leafy vegetables, at least that is my opinion on the subject. 

My scientific opinion is that it is a great addition to a fiber rich, healthy, plant-based diet.  But make sure to get plenty of cod liver / fish oil , and beef liver for vitamin a and b-12, plus small amounts of butter helps. I do no more than a tablespoon a day. As I stand here typing at my make shift standing desk I am pain free, and am happy about that. I have several devastating injuries.  I do not take any medications.  They are not healed like it didn't happen but it has really improved my quality of life. 

I would love to see a lot of research on the matter, specifically put together in a video format as it gets rather strenuous rolling through pubmed studies. 

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#41 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 10:08 PM

Is there any consensus as to efficacy of UC-2 vs biocell for joint health? I assume both are a good bit more effective that simply using hydrolyzed collagen powder. I've seen mixed doses for biocell, usually in the 2 gram range, which makes it a good bit more expensive than the 40mg one per day UC-2 usually calls for.

#42 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 October 2019 - 05:53 PM

Nandrolone is a favorite collagen enhancer of mine. Excellent for joint issues. I have definitely healed some injuries with its usage.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#43 Malf

• 79 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 June 2020 - 02:26 AM

Why not just drink fresh made bone broth soup?

#44 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 02:38 PM

Why not just drink fresh made bone broth soup?

I heard this addressed in a podcast. Bone broth is very popular, healthy, and tasty but it's not a suitable replacement for Hydrolyzed Collagen for two reasons...

1. Bone broth is derived from whole animal parts and unfortunately few animals are free of toxins (lead, mercury, antibiotics, etc). This doesn't necessarily make bone broth unhealthy, but it's far from being a pure source of Collagen.
  2. The gelatin in the broth is broken down in digestion, these collagen molecules are too large to be absorbed and utilized.

#45 Gal220

• 1,036 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 12:26 AM

such as...? 

got any more info on that? 

From thehealthbeat.com

The most commonly reported side effects of collagen supplements are hypercalcemia- too much calcium in the body (this occurs primarily with marine sources, however), constipation, bone pain, abnormal heart rhythms and allergic reactions in some since animal collagen is not exactly the same as human collagen.

Im taking the all in one ancient nutrition one, i got a good deal online for it though. 

I been taking it a while now, no adverse effecst that i can tell. Seems to help with gray hair as well.

• Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#46 Astera

• 4 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 March 2021 - 07:15 AM

A nice science-based podcast on collagen and a summary of the clinical evidence for health benefits on skin and joint health here - quite surprising how positive the evidence is!

Edited by Astera, 14 March 2021 - 07:28 AM.

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: collagen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users