• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

The process of brewing coffee removes heavy metals. Is there a way to prepare cacao/cocoa/chocolate to do the same?

chocolate coffee lead filtering preparation theobromine caffeine drink

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 graatch

• 390 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 02:12 AM

I have always found the profile of cacao especially impressive; however the presence of lead and cadmium* makes me wonder if there's an ideal way to prepare and consume the stuff which would minimize that.

(*which coffee doesn't have too much of in the first place, and not only the coffee filter but coffee grounds themselves appear to act as a filter which reduces them in a brew) https://www.nytimes....tals-water.html

One thing I have been doing is adding a bit of a cacao extract (which has some lead and cadmium as almost all cacao seems to, though not much) to my coffee grounds. I use pour-over preparation with paper filters. because the extract is finely ground and I believe retains the high fat content of chocolate to an extent, this slows down brewing but intuitively I think it might be helpful in the same fashion as seen with coffee.

#2 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 04:36 AM

Catechin inhibits Cd absorption 

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4303853/

Cadmium induced mitochondrial injury and apoptosis in vero cells: Protective effect of diallyl tetrasufide from garlic. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/16971165

The chemopreventive effects of aged garlic extract against cadmium-induced toxicity.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/21843808

Edited by Phoebus, 13 October 2018 - 04:40 AM.

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 graatch

• Topic Starter
  • 390 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:17 AM

Cacao is of course full of catechins, so theoretically that's promising for sure.

And now I'm imagining garlic hot chocolate ... mmm ...

#4 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 01:48 PM

Cacao is of course full of catechins, so theoretically that's promising for sure.

And now I'm imagining garlic hot chocolate ... mmm ...

well you could take a garlic supplement every time you eat chocolate. Garlic supplements are pretty awesome anyway for lots of reasons. EGCG also good source of cetechins

Chcocolate bar plus garlic pill plus EGCG, sounds delicious and healthy 

Edited by Phoebus, 13 October 2018 - 01:49 PM.

• Agree x 1

#5 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:52 PM

Why are garlic supplements useful?  Doesn't the allicin only last for a half hour after you cut beside?

• Needs references x 1

#6 brosci

• 269 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 06:23 PM

I would imagine you could cold brew / paper filter a cacao tea to remove much of the heavy metal content, but it's not quite like biting into a rich dark chocolate bar or sipping on a hot cocoa.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a low heavy metal / high polyphenol / great tasting cacao powder?  It seems like the high polyphenol / low heavy metal ones (eg. cocoavia) taste pretty bland, whereas the great tasting roasted cacaos aren't that high in polyphenols (with unknown heavy metals.)  I'm on the lookout for some sort of blend that maybe checks off all these points.  It seems like the starting material is as much, if not more important than the process.

Edited by brosci, 28 October 2018 - 06:26 PM.

#7 Joe Garma

• 19 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:00 PM

Dave Asprey of Bulletproof coffee fame encourages the use of organic coffee grown at high elevation and shade dried. Reduces mycotoxins he says (although my research on the subjects suggests mycotoxins aren't a big problem w/ coffee), but wouldn't organically grown coffee also eliminate/reduce heavy metal contamination?

What was eye-opening to me is a few of Dr. Greger's videos reviewing research that indicates that the roast level (light/medium/dark) and filtration process (metal mesh, paper) affects the amount of antioxidants and LDL absorbed by the body. Hadn't considered that coffee can impact cholesterol.  Wrote about it in a piece entitled, Why the Most Healthy Coffee Is Without Milk.

#8 brosci

• 269 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:56 PM

Dave Asprey of Bulletproof coffee fame encourages the use of organic coffee grown at high elevation and shade dried. Reduces mycotoxins he says (although my research on the subjects suggests mycotoxins aren't a big problem w/ coffee), but wouldn't organically grown coffee also eliminate/reduce heavy metal contamination?

What was eye-opening to me is a few of Dr. Greger's videos reviewing research that indicates that the roast level (light/medium/dark) and filtration process (metal mesh, paper) affects the amount of antioxidants and LDL absorbed by the body. Hadn't considered that coffee can impact cholesterol.  Wrote about it in a piece entitled, Why the Most Healthy Coffee Is Without Milk.

From what I understand, the trick to limiting the mycotoxins is via washing + mechanical-drying vs the "natural" method, where you esesntually just spread the beans out on a big tarp under the sun.  "Organic" doesn't really mean anything when it comes to mycotoxins / heavy metals -- it really just refers to the class of chemical additives rather than the quality of the end product.

I'm reminded of the recent analysis of Vega protein, where it's Organic / NSF-certified, but not all that clean. https://www.cleanlab...l-in-one-shake/

Where you can also find non-organic whey protein, and it's exceptionally clean. https://www.cleanlab...0-whey-protein/

It is interesting when you think about end points rather than single biomarkers -- like LDL is essentially a surrogate for trying to measure LDL-P.  And when you measure LDL-P, you're really trying to get to the heart of measuring small dense LDL-P.  But even those are really only an issue when you're looking at oxidized small dense LDL particles (which you can actually measure directly)... and that subset which is delivered into an arterial wall resulting in an inflammatory cascade of events... and that's really not an issue until you reach cardiovascular complications from having run this cycle some excess amount of times over a lifespan.  So looking at LDL is so far removed from what you're actually trying to measure, it doesn't really tell you how you should try to live your life to modify cardiovascular risk, which is what you're actually trying to do.  So while you could look at coffee consumption and some small impact on the the weight of the LDL cholesterol, it probably makes more sense to look at cardiovascular complications -- interestingly, there's a much larger dose-dependant inverse relationship, all way into the 3-5 cup per day range. 

Even when thinking about cardiovascular disease, you're ultimately trying to quantify your risk of death.  Here's a study looking at all-cause mortality and coffee intake:  https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/25156996 -- thinking about LDL seems so short-sighted in the grand scheme of things.

That said, it does raise the question of -- how do I best choose / prepare coffee + chocolate to maximize my enjoyment and benefit while limiting the potential for harm?

Edited by brosci, 28 October 2018 - 10:05 PM.

#9 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 11:18 AM

Turnbuckle made me buy Acacia Cathecu extract two years ago. I had a wonderful experience with that which I have never gotten from either coffee or any kind of cacao. Sadly I have not found any good supplier recently.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chocolate, coffee, lead, filtering, preparation, theobromine, caffeine, drink

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users