Bug Protein?!

sustainiblity animal protein plant protein amino acids diet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 misterE

• 1,035 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:55 AM

I was listening to NPR today and they were talking about sustainability issues with meat-proteins for developing countries. They suggested the harvest of insects for a reliable protein source. They did not mention possible harmful effects physically or environmentally from doing so, which was a flaw of the show. What are the thoughts here? 

#2 Juangalt

• 67 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 11:26 PM

Insect (cricket) protein is already commercially available. I'd imagine they've tested the safety to some extent. People eat whole bugs and tarantulas all over the world.

In terms of sustainability, I don't buy the argument that beef/pork/chicken is unsustainable. Capitalism is inherently sustainable because as supply decreases, prices increases and it lowers demand. Sustainability issues come into play when there is a community property, like an ocean, lake or  river, for which there is no disincentive to fish or hunt. Assuming these insects are farmed on private property, they would be equally sustainable.

Environmentally, I really have no idea. Some animals and land use permits are better or worse for the environment. Free range cattle, for instance, are great for the environment, but something like factory farmed pork, isn't. Don't know enough about insects.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 misterE

• Topic Starter
  • 1,035 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 January 2019 - 05:28 PM

Do you know how much water it takes to produce a pound of beef? 

• WellResearched x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sustainiblity, animal protein, plant protein, amino acids, diet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users