SAM-e powerful odor, safe or not?

sam-e same methylation methionine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Harkalot

• 3 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 10:53 AM

Greetings,

I've recently come across this substance, SAM-e (S-adenosyl-methionine).

Since life in eastern europe is the way it is, i've bought some SAM-e from S5 labs, 400mg 100 caps for 19$. 

As anyone into SAM-e can tell you, this is quite below the market price, and considering they shipped it from thailand (and they paid 4$ for the shipping too), we can conclude that at best, it's a fishy product.

I just assumed its because its not enteric coated, or not from a name brand, and proceeded with caution.

However, sammy being the unstable compound it is, it quickly degrades when not in ideal conditions, i.e during shipping. So this thing now smells quite foul, like boiled cabbage, or something rotten.

From what i assume, it's probably that some of the methionine demethylated forming free thiols, which is a sulfur compound (sulfur analogue of alcohol), which would explain the rotten smell.

From my understanding this just makes it unpleasant, and reduces the effective dose as some of the methionine has broken down?

At the very least, the smell is in line with what SAM-e should smell like when it goes bad, so im hoping it's not just rat poison.

I imagine it's not AS safe as it was before, but as long as it's not outright poison with no beneficial effects, I can deal with it.

I took "400mg" yesterday, and havent felt any effects mentally wise (perhaps a bit more irritable?). I just felt shivers/tingle in some parts of my body, and a pressure behind my eyes and head in general. It also makes me feel a bit "drunk-ish", sort of like your head is lagging behind when you move.

Thank you, best regards

#2 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 October 2018 - 02:03 AM

i would not take that smelly thing.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Harkalot

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 11:21 AM

i would not take that smelly thing.

It is indeed smelly, but any further comment to it?

Im taking 1200mg now (actual dosage being lower, because some of it degraded). I notice a mild euphoric effect, enjoying things slightly more, but the drowsiness, dizziness and nausea as well.

For interest sake, here is the inside of it, showing the extent of the damage. https://imgur.com/a/jvtKgez

its definitely not pretty, or as effective, but it seems like a third or so of the pill is still fine

Edited by Eucalictus, 29 October 2018 - 11:41 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sam-e, same, methylation, methionine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users