altitude dopamine serotonin

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 December 2018 - 09:49 PM

Interesting theory with some support: https://mic.com/arti...-why#.hyFf9hcEp

I personally don't have much much experience with that, but I was a bit cranky while vacationing in Colorado springs, probably because my car broke ($3000+) and it didn't like the high altitude thing either.

edit: follow up of the story here: https://healthcare.u...hows=0_z5w236tn

supposedly creatine helps with the problem of high altitude depression, but this seams to be gender specific.

Edited by jack black, 19 December 2018 - 10:18 PM.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Informative x 1

#2 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 December 2018 - 02:29 AM

I only skimmed the article because I’m driving but I do know that high altitude greatly increases red blood cells and hematocrit. I wonder if there’s a neurotransmitter correlation with that.
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 jack black

• Topic Starter
  • 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 December 2018 - 03:46 PM

man, you're a smart cookie. you figured it out. it turns out we knew EPO (elevated at altitude) stimulates dopamine release and we know dopamine antagonizes 5HT.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/10998566

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#4 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 December 2018 - 12:27 AM

man, you're a smart cookie. you figured it out. it turns out we knew EPO (elevated at altitude) stimulates dopamine release and we know dopamine antagonizes 5HT. https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/10998566

I had a feeling. What’s interesting is people at high altitudes have secondary erythrocytosis from very high hematocrits in the 60’s normal values 38-50%. BUT the side effects from secondary erythrocytosis in them are minimal if not non existent vs people who have secondary erythrocytosis from genetics, sleep apnea and smoking,etc.. Anabolic Androgenic steroids(AAS) and Testosterone replacement therapty(TRT) can induce secondary erythrocytosis but they also don’t have the same side effects as genetics/smokers/apnea. The reason is platelet count. The main risk of high hemo/rbc’s is thick blood/stroke but it’s platelet related. Genetic polycemia/erythrocytosis and secondary polycemia/erythrocytosis induced from smoking/sleep apnea all have high platelet counts and are at risk. People at high altitudes and AAS/TRT users typically don’t. I’ve been on for over 10 years and I was curious so I went back and looked through about six years of bloodwork and even though my hemoglobin, hematocrit and rbc’s were elevated my playlets were good.

#5 CWF1986

• 224 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 12:07 AM

This may be a stretch... but I wonder if this has anything to do with why coca leaves help relieve altitude sickness.  It's a thing in the Andes.  

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#6 justabody

• 71 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:38 PM

still entreched in the monoamine hypothesis, when will this stupidity end? (no offense)

Edited by justabody, 03 January 2019 - 10:53 PM.

• Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: altitude, dopamine, serotonin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users