• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Euphoria, crying and adrenalin like goosebumps all at the same time while listening to songs... how to normalize this

adrenalin euphoria goosebumps sympathetic cns music sound sensitivity

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MankindRising

• 178 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 December 2018 - 01:12 PM

Right so this might sound somewhat awkard but both myself and others who have spoke to me about it have noticed my insanely high sensitivity to sound (that includes music and might be part of my ASD).

So when I listen to music, be it while a tune is playing on the background while cleaning my house or be it while in a supermarket while hearing songs that seem to have an ?emotional value? (which seem a lot of songs actually). I get this feeling of breaking free, now the problem is it also happens in public places where music is on and it always is a mix of euphoria, tears and goosebumps.

I realise this is a relatively harmless event, but the fact that it happens in public also is somewhat overwhelming for me at times.

Any idea to how to 'fix' this?

Another odd thing is in the past where I had anhedonia I never used to get this, so theres definetely a correlation between the two for me. Especially the abiliity to cry and relieve of anhedonia.

Could it be an opioid-ergic mechanism?

Once again the main 'problem' Im having with these events is that I cannot seem to seperate the 3 emotions. The crying seems to be part of the dopamine/adrenalin rushes that Im getting. On top of that I seem to have 'crashes' for 2hours or so after experiencing multiple of these bursts of sympathetic activation a few times.

Edited by MankindRising, 28 December 2018 - 01:31 PM.

#2 experimenting

• 639 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 10:20 PM

So hyper emotional/excitable? I can think you might try NMDA antagonists for a start. Zn, Mg, maybe d3. Sorry I don't have any better, no idea why music specifically triggers this kind of response.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 MankindRising

• Topic Starter
  • 178 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 December 2018 - 11:09 PM

So hyper emotional/excitable? I can think you might try NMDA antagonists for a start. Zn, Mg, maybe d3. Sorry I don't have any better, no idea why music specifically triggers this kind of response.

Yeah with music, not so much with people though in general :)

Turns out the effect I describe isnt so crazy after all:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisson

"Frisson (French for 'shiver'), also known as aesthetic chillsmusical chills, and colloquially as a skin orgasm,[1][2] is a psychophysiological response to rewardingauditory and/or visual stimuli that induces a pleasurable or otherwise positively-valenced affective state and transient paresthesia (skin tingling or chills), sometimes along with piloerection (goose bumps) and mydriasis (pupil dilation).[2][3][4][5] The sensation commonly occurs as a mildly to moderately pleasurable emotional response to music with skin tingling;[2] piloerection and pupil dilation do not necessarily occur in all cases.[4][5]"

"Emotional Contagion[edit]

Another explanation for the cause of frisson is emotional contagion, which proposes that perceived emotional intensity prompts frisson in a similar way to how a perceived sad ballad can allow a listener to feel sad themselves as an empathetic response.[10]"

"Neuroimaging studies have found that the intensity of tingling is positively correlated with the magnitude of brain activity in specific regions of the reward system, including the nucleus accumbensorbitofrontal cortex, and insular cortex.[4][5] All three of these brain structures are known to contain a hedonic hotspot, a region of the brain that is responsible for producing pleasure cognition.[11][12][13] Since music-induced euphoria can occur without the sensation of tingling or piloerection,[5] the authors of one review hypothesized that the emotional response to music during a frisson evokes a sympathetic response that is experienced as a tingling sensation.[5]"

And nope, if anything memantine makes the euphoria of music better for me (back when I tried it). Its mainly the goosebump/crying effect I want to get rid of, I dont mind the euphoria, but they all seem to either happen all at once or not at all.

• Informative x 1

#4 sant2060

• 63 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 08:12 AM

Dont get rid of it. Enjoy your life. I would give anything to be able to experience what you describe (I had it, I lost it).
  • Agree x 1

#5 justabody

• 71 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 09:39 AM

How is this considered a "problem"? I, too, would give anything to get my emotional response to music back. If anything, I would warn against trying to blunt emotions because you might just get stuck that way.

Edited by justabody, 29 December 2018 - 09:39 AM.

• Good Point x 1

#6 MankindRising

• Topic Starter
  • 178 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 December 2018 - 06:34 PM

How is this considered a "problem"? I, too, would give anything to get my emotional response to music back. If anything, I would warn against trying to blunt emotions because you might just get stuck that way.

Its considered awkward for a guy my size, I dont mind it that much myself, however the consequences that it has/had for relationships is not good. If I be myself I cry out of joy during stuff like this such as songs but also stuff in daily life when I see something special.

Trust me when I say that it is having a negative impact on my life due to this. It simply makes me NOT FIT IN, because of stuff like this and this leads to less quality of life, hope Ive shed some light on it like that.

#7 Sleepdealer

• 144 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:28 PM

Funny that you are asking about this because I have some experience with this in 2018. I'll keep it short.

I have as long as I can remember always enjoyed music and felt a lot of just enough strong emotions when listening to it and enjoyed it quite a bit. However I've had accidentally experienced two things that turned the enjoyment down drastically.

1. t-DCS: Anodal stimulation of the right inferior frontal gyrus-ish, and with the cathode on the identical opposite site. It lessened the musical emotions drastically (opposite to what I expected(!)) and seemed permanent until I reversed it with another montage (cathode over ventromedial PFC and anode over the left occipital gyrus/angular gyrus. That made made the emotions/appreciation return to base level.

2. Probiotics: I was trying a 25 bacteria strain probiotic that I bought from Swanson vitamins and noticed that my appreciation of music was basically completely gone for a couple of days until it gradually returned after about a week. I tried it 3 times in total and the last time in june I tried it for a little longer and that caused the effect to be pretty much permanent after I stopped. I'm guessing from an overarching alteration in the gut microbiome that was too profound to reverse itself back on it's own or something. It's been 6 months like this basically. I haven't been able to reverse it with t-DCS either. But I'm waiting to get my microbiome tested to see if I can reverse engineer this thing.

Consumption of Fermented Milk Product With Probiotic Modulates Brain Activity

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3839572/

BACKGROUND & AIMS

Changes in gut microbiota have been reported to alter signaling mechanisms, emotional behavior, and visceral nociceptive reflexes in rodents. However, alteration of the intestinal microbiota with antibiotics or probiotics has not been shown to produce these changes in humans. We investigated whether consumption of a fermented milk product with probiotic (FMPP) for 4 weeks by healthy women altered brain intrinsic connectivity or responses to emotional attention tasks.

METHODS

Healthy women with no gastrointestinal or psychiatric symptoms were randomly assigned to groups given FMPP (n = 12), a nonfermented milk product (n = 11, controls), or no intervention (n = 13) twice daily for 4 weeks. The FMPP contained Bifidobacterium animalis subsp Lactis, Streptococcus thermophiles, Lactobacillus bulgaricus, and Lactococcus lactis subsp Lactis. Participants underwent functional magnetic resonance imaging before and after the intervention to measure brain response to an emotional faces attention task and resting brain activity. Multivariate and region of interest analyses were performed.

RESULTS

FMPP intake was associated with reduced task-related response of a distributed functional network (49% cross-block covariance; P = .004) containing affective, viscerosensory, and somatosensory cortices. Alterations in intrinsic activity of resting brain indicated that ingestion of FMPP was associated with changes in midbrain connectivity, which could explain the observed differences in activity during the task.

CONCLUSIONS

Four-week intake of an FMPP by healthy women affected activity of brain regions that control central processing of emotion and sensation.

The four types of bacteria used in this study are included in the probiotic that I took, among others.

So there's a couple of things you could try if you are experiencing distress from what you're describing, but you have to be really careful. There's no studies on the correlation between these things and musical appreciation and the derived emotions per se, but modulating the strength of the appreciation of music and aesthetics by means of TDCS and probiotics is a reality if you ask me. Some of the brain areas mentioned in the study above are the very same areas mentioned in studies where they are mapping the brain areas that are activated when listening to certain types music and experiencing music in general and specific types of emotions.

Mapping aesthetic musical emotions in the brain.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/22178712

You're doing these things on your own risk of course. You have to be very careful with what you're doing, and how much you do it, because what you're looking for is uncharted territory. You only want to tone the musical emotions down slightly, and not kill them completely, because you may not know when you're getting it back, depending on what you do to yourself. A route could be for example trying just a few strain probiotic, doing only one dose to begin with and evaluate the effects and so on. Or trying a fermented yoghurt. Those could possibly cause brain fogginess, so be careful about that too though. Brain fog and bloating: https://neuroscience...-bloating-9659/

By the way, you had anhedonia in the past. What happened for you to get it, and how did you get relief from it?

Edited by Sleepdealer, 02 January 2019 - 08:39 PM.

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 June 2022 - 09:56 AM

focus and Think less about the music ideas (it brings different) and just hear the music.

Edited by kurdishfella, 27 June 2022 - 10:17 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adrenalin, euphoria, goosebumps, sympathetic, cns, music, sound, sensitivity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users