• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Modalert - is this what modafinil is like?

modafinil modalert

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 Lallante

• 197 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:57 AM

I think a lot of people have unrealistic expections for modafinil and think that by taking 1 tablet they will develop super intelligence, feel highly energized and motivated and then be able to take on super villians and save the world ;)

That is actually exactly how I feel 20 mins after taking 200mg of Modafinil. I get a MASSIVE rush almost imediately.

Basically, all it does is stop you feeling mentally tired and helps to keep you focused. If your body is tired i.e. legs, muscles etc, modafinil will not take away that feeling in your body, it is not an energizer.

Disagree

My experience of taking modafinil has been really positive. I've taken both Modalert and Modapro and to me they both had the same affect in that they stopped me feeling tired during the day, esepcially the post lunchtime crash that I used to get. Also, I do suffer from depression sometimes, but not currently taking any medication for it, and have found that modafinil has acted as a mood enhancer too. I haven't felt depressed at all since taking it and feel a lot more positive and have felt more motivated to do things.

Agree

I only take 200mg in the morning and that seems to suit me fine. Also, I've heard that if you are taking other medication, modafinil won't have much affect, not sure why, but some people have even said that taking painkillers negates it affect, so bear this in mind when you are trying it.

I find mid-late morning to be the most effective. Never heard or experienced that re: painkillers

Also, I've found that I am solving the metro sudoku puzzle a lot faster on the morning train now!

Definitely!

#62 SDrawkaB

• 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:50 PM

Hi guys, noob here. Can anyone recommend an online pharmacy for getting ModAlert or ModaPro or another generic form of Modafinil for import to the US? I have come across a few, but I'm having trouble finding reliable reviews of online pharmacies that are trustworthy and reliable. I have a prescription for Modafinil but I can't afford to pay $300 per month for Provigil/Nuvigil.

Anyone have good things to say about medstore.biz? thepharmacyexpress.com? others?

Thanks so much for your help.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 ToTheMax

• 10 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:48 AM

Hi guys, noob here. Can anyone recommend an online pharmacy for getting ModAlert or ModaPro or another generic form of Modafinil for import to the US? I have come across a few, but I'm having trouble finding reliable reviews of online pharmacies that are trustworthy and reliable. I have a prescription for Modafinil but I can't afford to pay $300 per month for Provigil/Nuvigil.

Anyone have good things to say about medstore.biz? thepharmacyexpress.com? others?

TPE is reliable. I would suggest modapro instead of modalert.

#64 Rain

• 165 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:28 AM

i bought my first pills from medstore.biz they were really good but i decided to try a different place that was more reputable, but i'm assuming they would be exactly the same. (from similar location, same brand, pricing is similar, etc.)

#65 frankdavis

• 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:37 PM

I can recommend a reputable pharmacy (Modalert without a prescription) www.prescriptionrxpharma.com I received the order and it was on time and the pills work great.

#66 Moddy2012

• 83 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:45 AM

I just finished using modalert for a week.... it is real, although the effect is very subtle.. I havent tried provigil, but I intend to.... I can only imagine it being slightly better, maybe I get smart on that, because I didnt necessarily notice any increase in focus, except when it was late and when my focus should've dropped, it didnt, it stayed normal.... yesterday I went to a musical festival with no sleep from the night before... without any other stimulants like coffee I was feeling mostly fine all day, and I drove home without a problem even though I had been awake for over 35 hours... I felt ok, body was obviously fatigued, but normally I would be a wreck after that much sleep deprevation... my roommate even commented on how well I was driving, considering he was tired despite having sleep the night before. I think modalert is great for staying awake and alert despite not having slept... maybe if they tested me they'd see a boost of some sort, but it's so subtle, it's like you're not taking anything.... it doesnt elevate my mood, but I also noticed that I havent had any depressed episodes, which I normally do (depression), even during thoughts where I normally get depressed.

I normally have a hard time getting to sleep without drugs, so this stuff isnt great for me, I have a hard time getting to sleep and the week has had it's tole... I didnt sleep a lot, so my immune system dropped...got a coldsore, which normally happens to me under sleep deprivation... this was unnerving though, because I felt fine... it just shows that your body is feeling the lack of sleep... but I was impressed how modafinil kept my brain feeling normal . I can see it being very useful for long drives and situations that require a good working brain. I dont really think people should take it everyday. There were periods where I thought my heart was racing, but that could've been in my head... I was a little paranoid about it all week.

In theory its the same product as Provigil, but in practice it is not so much the truth. The only generic I know of that is pretty much the same as Provigil is Alertec. The other one that is identical is Modiodal which is the French brand name for Provigil and is also made by Cephalon, so in effect Modiodal is just a European brand name for Provigil.

I have heard mixed things about Modalert, and I would not advise you to buy medications from the internet for a number of good reasons. The first is that it is illegal to import a drug like Modafinil which is a controlled the substance. The second is that many drugs from the web are counterfeits and the quality control of medications outside certain countries is not as good. This is especially the case with medications from India. Genuine Modalert should be of good quality but India has weak patent and copyright laws which means there are companies out there which make counterfeit versions of Modalert, so you really do not know what you are getting.

I have used Provigil and Alertec. The only difference is that Alertec only comes in 100 mg doses as in Canada they do not recommend taking more than 100 mg per day. 200 mg is considered the maximum dose. In FDA trials with 340 mg of Modafinil the subjects came down with serious skin rashes known as SJS. I have also had an opportunity to try Nuvigil, it is basically the R enantiomer of Modafinil, the active form, so 100 mg of Nuvigil is like 200 mg of Provigil. I tried if after a very long international flight where I did not sleep for the previous 20 hours, it largely allowed me to function well.

I think in the US where Provigil is expensive, Cephalon is making deals for Nuvigil which is a new version of the drug, so you maybe able to get it through insurance.

As far as ADD and concentration it does seem to have an effect but it is subtle. Its nowhere near as strong as ADD meds such as Adderall or Dexedrine but does not have the effects of those meds.

I took a Nuvigil after my flight arrived around 1PM in the afternoon and was able to go to bed that night and had 8 restful hours of sleep. Pretty amazing because I normally would suffer jet lag for a few days.

Edited by Moddy2012, 07 April 2011 - 04:48 AM.

#67 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:21 AM

I just finished using modalert for a week.... it is real, although the effect is very subtle.. I havent tried provigil, but I intend to.... I can only imagine it being slightly better, maybe I get smart on that, because I didnt necessarily notice any increase in focus, except when it was late and when my focus should've dropped, it didnt, it stayed normal.... yesterday I went to a musical festival with no sleep from the night before... without any other stimulants like coffee I was feeling mostly fine all day, and I drove home without a problem even though I had been awake for over 35 hours... I felt ok, body was obviously fatigued, but normally I would be a wreck after that much sleep deprevation... my roommate even commented on how well I was driving, considering he was tired despite having sleep the night before. I think modalert is great for staying awake and alert despite not having slept... maybe if they tested me they'd see a boost of some sort, but it's so subtle, it's like you're not taking anything.... it doesnt elevate my mood, but I also noticed that I havent had any depressed episodes, which I normally do (depression), even during thoughts where I normally get depressed.

I normally have a hard time getting to sleep without drugs, so this stuff isnt great for me, I have a hard time getting to sleep and the week has had it's tole... I didnt sleep a lot, so my immune system dropped...got a coldsore, which normally happens to me under sleep deprivation... this was unnerving though, because I felt fine... it just shows that your body is feeling the lack of sleep... but I was impressed how modafinil kept my brain feeling normal . I can see it being very useful for long drives and situations that require a good working brain. I dont really think people should take it everyday. There were periods where I thought my heart was racing, but that could've been in my head... I was a little paranoid about it all week.

In theory its the same product as Provigil, but in practice it is not so much the truth. The only generic I know of that is pretty much the same as Provigil is Alertec. The other one that is identical is Modiodal which is the French brand name for Provigil and is also made by Cephalon, so in effect Modiodal is just a European brand name for Provigil.

I have heard mixed things about Modalert, and I would not advise you to buy medications from the internet for a number of good reasons. The first is that it is illegal to import a drug like Modafinil which is a controlled the substance. The second is that many drugs from the web are counterfeits and the quality control of medications outside certain countries is not as good. This is especially the case with medications from India. Genuine Modalert should be of good quality but India has weak patent and copyright laws which means there are companies out there which make counterfeit versions of Modalert, so you really do not know what you are getting.

I have used Provigil and Alertec. The only difference is that Alertec only comes in 100 mg doses as in Canada they do not recommend taking more than 100 mg per day. 200 mg is considered the maximum dose. In FDA trials with 340 mg of Modafinil the subjects came down with serious skin rashes known as SJS. I have also had an opportunity to try Nuvigil, it is basically the R enantiomer of Modafinil, the active form, so 100 mg of Nuvigil is like 200 mg of Provigil. I tried if after a very long international flight where I did not sleep for the previous 20 hours, it largely allowed me to function well.

I think in the US where Provigil is expensive, Cephalon is making deals for Nuvigil which is a new version of the drug, so you maybe able to get it through insurance.

As far as ADD and concentration it does seem to have an effect but it is subtle. Its nowhere near as strong as ADD meds such as Adderall or Dexedrine but does not have the effects of those meds.

I took a Nuvigil after my flight arrived around 1PM in the afternoon and was able to go to bed that night and had 8 restful hours of sleep. Pretty amazing because I normally would suffer jet lag for a few days.

So you reccomend staying away from indian modalert and trying Nuvigil/alertec instead?

#68 Moddy2012

• 83 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:14 PM

So you reccomend staying away from indian modalert and trying Nuvigil/alertec instead?

I would recommend going with Alertec unless you can find a reliable and trusted source for Modalert. Modalert is a legitimate product, the only problem is that there are many counterfeits being sold, so you really do not know what you are getting. I also have to add that Cipla used to make a generic Modafinil called Modapro and that was probably the best generic outside of Alertec, people I know who have used Modapro and Modalert have all said Modapro was superior. Cipla stopped making it, bummer because they are the best Indian generic pharmaceutical company and I do use some of their medications.

The good news is that starting next year you will see generic US made Modafinil, so that means the price of Provigil and Modafinil will drop substantially. Provigil is too expensive as it is right now, $300 for a one month supply.

Modafinil is very subtle in its effects, its not obvious like Adderall or Dexedrine where its clear you will feel something going on in your mind. If you really do have ADD issues, Modafinil will not help you much, but for average people who need a mental boost, it really does help.

#69 gwern

• 77 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:23 PM

In FDA trials with 340 mg of Modafinil the subjects came down with serious skin rashes known as SJS. I have also had an opportunity to try Nuvigil, it is basically the R enantiomer of Modafinil, the active form, so 100 mg of Nuvigil is like 200 mg of Provigil. I tried if after a very long international flight where I did not sleep for the previous 20 hours, it largely allowed me to function well.

That SJS case was never confirmed, and appeared only in the kid trial, not the much larger adult trials that preceded it. Cephalon says other SJS cases have been reported, but gives no details (for all we know, there was just 1 case in a kid). See http://www.gwern.net...il#side-effects

Armodafinil worked pretty well for me, much much better than the edandmore Modalert.

Also, to whomever was suggesting grinding up pills - get real. You don't make micron-sized particles with a mortar and pestle! All that can do is break up very large clumps, not shrink particle sizes. Micro grinding requires special tools.

Edited by gwern, 17 August 2011 - 08:24 PM.

#70 pazman4

• 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:46 PM

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has any experience of staying up all night on modafinil? i.e 36hrs (ish)
Does it affect you the next day, even if you take more?
I'm just wondering as I have an exam in a couple of weeks and considering whether to use modafinil to study the whole night before, then perhaps take another in the morning.

I've been taking 100mg some days to help with studying but unsure if the "staying up all night" tactic will be beneficial to my exam result (as it allegedly improves short term memory) or if I should just try and get some sleep?

Thanks for any help.

#71 pazman4

• 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:28 PM

any ideas?

#72 Geoffrey

• 218 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:52 AM

In my experience, modafinil and armodafinil just help you stave off the debilitating effects of tiredness, and help you to function normally (or at least not terribly) even when you are sleep deprived. However, they *don't* improve memory, and they don’t stop you becoming physically tired. It would be a very bad idea to stay up all night before an exam using modafinil/armodafinil. You might not actually fall asleep in your exam, but you will be physically tired and you will have a hard job remembering anything you learnt the night before. Best thing you can do the night before an exam is to study your revision notes before going to bed, sleep well, and then remind yourself of the most important points in the morning before the exam. Modafinil doesn’t make you more intelligent or improve memory (good memory formation requires sleep), it simply allows you to concentrate when you might otherwise feel a bit sleepy. Most people will get a boost enough from adrenaline during an exam, so modafinil could well be counterproductive. I would only use it just before an exam (taken an hour before, say) if I was desperate because I hadn’t been able to sleep the night before due to insomnia.

I find that long-term use actually kills my recall (memories haven’t gone, but I’m often stuck with that tip-of-the-tongue feeling for names, concepts and ideas I should know well).

#73 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:39 PM

Oh, and real quick like...check this video out -- you need real player or real alternative to watch it. though. If you already have a super high IQ then modafinil might actually hurt your intelligence: it's a long video, but watch it at least until the second speaker finishes:

Download real alternative here

Nick Boström on cognitive enhancement, webcast presentation at the Oxford conf.
Click below for an excellent video:
http://streaming.oii...6/16032006-1.rm

Didn´t get these articles, could you please upload them again!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#74 Matt79

• 171 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:58 AM

Anyone know if US generic Modafinil is available yet? Been thinking about trialing it out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: modafinil, modalert

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users