Photo
- - - - -

Cancer Cured in Mice

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#91 dytona

• 25 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:25 AM

hey, it's only rumors for now, and it wouldn't be the first time there are such rumors. (I don't even understand: "The reason is that lost priniciple investigator.").

Mind, it might be a good time to call, ask questions (eg do donors pay, when can we start applying, is there a planned starting date, etc), record and post it here!

I thing it is great time to sign as donors in order to ease the process. It can only help

I think it is not rumor. I hope it is rumor.

#92 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:42 PM

It takes about 20 seconds (name, adress cancer cases in family, etc) to fill the donor form online :
http://www.bmscti.or...htm#eligibility

(With the AMEX vote we were 5000+ to vote for anti-aging research...)

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#93 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:17 PM

People living in South Florida: fill the donor form!
i've had a discussion with a research coordinator of the study. They ARE looking for donors but it is mostly feasible if you live in the area because you need to go there for visits:
  • a first visit (eg next week, you choose when) to have a blood test so that it is entered in their database
  • days, weeks or months later, if it is found that you match a cancer patient, 3 visits within a week

#94 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:25 PM

People living in South Florida: fill the donor form!

to make it more visible, i've made a thread with such a title.
it may seems too much, let's hope it'll be useful

#95 dytona

• 25 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:45 AM

The official statement of the trial of Wake Forest

Statement on LIFT Trial
February 23, 2009

A clinical trial at Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center to test the idea that cancer-fighting white blood cells from healthy donors could someday be used to treat people suffering from advanced cancers will not take place as initially proposed, pending the results of a proposed Phase I clinical trial that will examine issues of safety and tolerability.

The proposal for a clinical trial to test the efficacy of white cell infusions in humans was made by Zheng Cui, Ph.D., a basic scientist who discovered a cancer resistant mouse, and thereafter found that white cells from these mice exhibit a high level of cancer-fighting ability. Preliminary studies in his laboratory suggested that the same mechanism may enable white cells from certain people to fight human cancer. His proposal for an advanced clinical trial has been studied by a Medical Center Advisory Committee of basic and clinical science experts, who have recommended that a small-scale Phase I trial first be conducted.

A Phase I trial is the first step in studying a new potential treatment in humans; its goal is to examine safety, side effects, and dosage issues. The committee agreed that Cui's research with mice and human cells is both exciting and promising, but concluded that a Phase I trial - under the direction of an experienced physician - would provide critical information that would maximize the possibility that this novel concept could some day be successfully translated into a new cancer treatment. This Phase I trial would be designed to test only the safety and tolerability of high dose white cell transfusions in cancer patients, not whether leukocyte infusions are effective in treating cancer.

Because extensive planning and administrative review are required before beginning a Phase I trial, no start date for the trial can be predicted. Medical Center officials are aware of the considerable outside interest in this line of research and will make every effort to keep the public informed as it moves forward.

#96 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:08 PM

The official statement of the trial of Wake Forest

Statement on LIFT Trial
February 23, 2009

A clinical trial at Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center to test the idea that cancer-fighting white blood cells from healthy donors could someday be used to treat people suffering from advanced cancers will not take place as initially proposed, pending the results of a proposed Phase I clinical trial that will examine issues of safety and tolerability.

The proposal for a clinical trial to test the efficacy of white cell infusions in humans was made by Zheng Cui, Ph.D., a basic scientist who discovered a cancer resistant mouse, and thereafter found that white cells from these mice exhibit a high level of cancer-fighting ability. Preliminary studies in his laboratory suggested that the same mechanism may enable white cells from certain people to fight human cancer. His proposal for an advanced clinical trial has been studied by a Medical Center Advisory Committee of basic and clinical science experts, who have recommended that a small-scale Phase I trial first be conducted.

A Phase I trial is the first step in studying a new potential treatment in humans; its goal is to examine safety, side effects, and dosage issues. The committee agreed that Cui's research with mice and human cells is both exciting and promising, but concluded that a Phase I trial - under the direction of an experienced physician - would provide critical information that would maximize the possibility that this novel concept could some day be successfully translated into a new cancer treatment. This Phase I trial would be designed to test only the safety and tolerability of high dose white cell transfusions in cancer patients, not whether leukocyte infusions are effective in treating cancer.

Because extensive planning and administrative review are required before beginning a Phase I trial, no start date for the trial can be predicted. Medical Center officials are aware of the considerable outside interest in this line of research and will make every effort to keep the public informed as it moves forward.

That doesn't mean much to these guys, just countless lives lost and time wasted.. But as long as its not their close family its ok to wait.

Edited by forever freedom, 21 May 2009 - 05:09 PM.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#97 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:21 PM

I cannot find where this statement is from. Could you post a link, or in some way refer to your sources?

#98 dytona

• 25 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:02 AM

I cannot find where this statement is from. Could you post a link, or in some way refer to your sources?

I send e-mail to Wake Forest University Baptist Medical center.
They reply that statement.

#99 John Schloendorn

• 2,542 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:16 AM

Thank you. These guys' India-based operations are becoming more understandable every day.

#100 dytona

• 25 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:09 AM

Frankly speaking, my wife is metastatic breast cancer patient.
So I think the trial is hopeful.
I select donors similar CKA level test.(Some drug company help)
But any doctor can not transfuse their granulocyte to my wife.
Everyone I asked told me that they pridicted the result of trial will be poor.
They told me that if the trial effect, the leukemia patient who received transfusion cured. But not.

I feel heavy.

#101 theone

• Life Member
  • 167 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 May 2009 - 05:27 PM

Just to put this out their. How much would it cost to fund stage 1 clinical trials in a country with more lenient oversight?

#102 John Schloendorn

• 2,542 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:42 PM

I'm sorry Dytona. I do not know of any group with the means to attempt a transplant except Wake Forest's. We certainly do not know whether it would work. But it is frustrating to see that they choose to not even try in any foreseeable future.

#103 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:46 PM

THE TRIAL IS GOING ON. Today an organiser of the trial sent me this by email:

We are trying to raise funds and also recruit blood donors at this time. Patients can apply, but we have quite a long list and are only going to be able to treat a total of 29.

So rather than discussing negatively in the air, ask for healthy people living in South Florida to apply.

#104 dytona

• 25 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:22 AM

Hmmm.... $130,000 per patient, quite big money. Dr. Maharaj sent e-mail to me.
If my wife can be cured by the trial, I can pay the donation. But if no effect, I can not treat my wife other method.
Dilemma.

#105 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:03 PM

it seems quite big. how was this amount of money computed?
For a donation of 100$, by how much does it reduce the cost for each patient?

Edited by AgeVivo, 28 May 2009 - 08:03 PM.

#106 ihatesnow

• 776 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:29 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...ncer_vaccines_4

#107 Anthony

• Guest, F@H
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:16 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...ncer_vaccines_4

Also coming out of the Cancer Conference:

http://www.bloomberg...6...&refer=home

#108 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:41 PM

Also coming out of the Cancer Conference:

http://www.bloomberg...6...&refer=home

this is interesting. parp inhibitors will likely be viable in many cancers, like the genetic form of the colon cancer that killed Tony Snow. the side effects will be interesting to see tho. for a while, there was a flurry of drugs (to stop diabetes) that expressed parp.

#109 dytona

• 25 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:47 AM

Next tuesday, my 40 junior students who have AB+ blood type go into screening.

Manual CKA test, and I will prepare granulocyte transfusion.

I can not wait Dr. Cui and Dr. Maharaj trial result.

Dr. Cui's trial is not known when will start, and Dr. Maharaj' trial will not do CKA test.

So, I will do granulocyt from sreened donors transfusion to my wife.

I worry about my wife die like Chris Heward.

So I will do my own hand.

There are many many difficulty doing this.

Pleasr everyone belive Dr. Cui's therapy pray for me.

If I success, I will write our in this board.

#110 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:46 PM

I will do granulocyt from sreened donors transfusion to my wife.

basic biology lessons say that AB+ donors can ONLY give to AB+ people, so NOT to your wife if she is NOT AB+ (!!!!!) and if your wife is AB+ it can receive blood from ANY donor! Hope you mistyped things. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Strange life; difficult decisions; i wish someone knowledgeable could intervene here and help you

Edited by AgeVivo, 09 June 2009 - 01:01 PM.

#111 dytona

• 25 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:18 AM

I will do granulocyt from sreened donors transfusion to my wife.

basic biology lessons say that AB+ donors can ONLY give to AB+ people, so NOT to your wife if she is NOT AB+ (!!!!!) and if your wife is AB+ it can receive blood from ANY donor! Hope you mistyped things. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Strange life; difficult decisions; i wish someone knowledgeable could intervene here and help you

My wife is AB+, I know basic of blood transfusion. and some doctor are helping me to do this.

#112 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:26 AM

For myself and other imminst readers (your doctor certainly knows that) i've just read http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Blood_type, that discusses compatibility:

an individual with type AB blood can receive blood from any group (with AB being preferable)

red blood cell surface antigens other than A, B and Rh D, might cause adverse reactions and sensitization

Transfusions are further complicated because platelets and white blood cells [including granulocytes i guess] have their own systems of surface antigens

Risks can be further reduced by cross-matching blood, (...) mixing a sample of the recipient's serum with a sample of the donor's red blood cells and checking if the mixture agglutinates, or forms clumps. If agglutination is not obvious by direct vision, blood bank technicians usually check for agglutination with a microscope. If agglutination occurs, that particular donor's blood cannot be transfused to that particular recipient.

PS: MF's thread about the persons creating the charity now has a phone number. in case you are not already in contact with them i would ask them for help if i were you.

Edited by AgeVivo, 10 June 2009 - 08:39 AM.

#113 dytona

• 25 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:10 AM

For myself and other imminst readers (your doctor certainly knows that) i've just read http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Blood_type, that discusses compatibility:

an individual with type AB blood can receive blood from any group (with AB being preferable)

red blood cell surface antigens other than A, B and Rh D, might cause adverse reactions and sensitization

Transfusions are further complicated because platelets and white blood cells [including granulocytes i guess] have their own systems of surface antigens

Risks can be further reduced by cross-matching blood, (...) mixing a sample of the recipient's serum with a sample of the donor's red blood cells and checking if the mixture agglutinates, or forms clumps. If agglutination is not obvious by direct vision, blood bank technicians usually check for agglutination with a microscope. If agglutination occurs, that particular donor's blood cannot be transfused to that particular recipient.

PS: MF's thread about the persons creating the charity now has a phone number. in case you are not already in contact with them i would ask them for help if i were you.

I already contact Dr. Maharaj. But the buget, 130,000 , I can just manage that. but if the transfusion do not effect, I can not treat my wife for other method. So I can do my own. It means CKA test will occur in Pharma Lab. transfusion will occur in bone marrow transplantation center in somewhere else. I manage these hospital and lab. And they do know what I have to do and what I need.
I understand your concern. But I am not crazy man. So I ask lab and hospital to do Dr. Cui's therapy.

Next tuesday, 40 person who have AB+ will CKA test. I pray the test result will same to Dr. Cui's result.
If screen will success, I will do transfusion in hospital after proper blood test(HLA antigen, infection, cross match).

Pray for my wife.

#114 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:12 PM

I am not crazy man (...) If screen will success, I will do transfusion in hospital after proper blood test (...) Pray for my wife.

I do

#115 ppp

• 275 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:27 PM

I already contact Dr. Maharaj. But the buget, 130,000 , I can just manage that. but if the transfusion do not effect, I can not treat my wife for other method. So I can do my own. It means CKA test will occur in Pharma Lab. transfusion will occur in bone marrow transplantation center in somewhere else. I manage these hospital and lab. And they do know what I have to do and what I need.
I understand your concern. But I am not crazy man. So I ask lab and hospital to do Dr. Cui's therapy.

Next tuesday, 40 person who have AB+ will CKA test. I pray the test result will same to Dr. Cui's result.
If screen will success, I will do transfusion in hospital after proper blood test(HLA antigen, infection, cross match).

Pray for my wife.

Best of luck to you both.

#116 dytona

• 25 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 02:44 AM

Maybe, today the result of blood test(CKA) will come.

75 donor involved this test.

I will put the chart on this board.

The last obstacle, transfusion, I have to overcome.

#117 dytona

• 25 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:54 AM

I received data from the lab.

Dr. Cui's theory is right.

There are a few human appear the rosette fomation and high CKA level.

Something strange is that in this test the metastatic breast cancer cell line.

Only some woman show high CKA level and rosette form.

And younger better.

Anyway Dr. Cui's research is right I think.

The last obstacle is transfusion.

I guess in this summer I can do th transfusion.

#118 dytona

• 25 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:24 PM

Do you know there are two different clinical trial.

One is Wake Forest Dr. Cui's, and the other is South Florida Dr. Maharaj's.

Wake Forest University trial was cancelled by the university.

The main reason is lost principle investigator.

And Dr. Cui's research was stopped.

I can not under stand the university.

Dr. Maharaj's trial is some different. It does not CKA test, only consider family cancer history.

I did CKA test with family cancer history. It show that one has cancer history in his family member history but he can show cancer resistance.

So only select donors by cancer history is not enough.

I am in South Korea. I really can not understand the Wake Forest and FDA.

The conspiracy is right? FDA stopped the trial.

#119 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:09 PM

It is better for everyone to state what is known rather than have unsaid things around.

there are two different clinical trials

- Dr Cui's trial in Wake Forest University stopped
- Dr. Maharaj's trial in South Florida started instead
Is that what you mean? Do you know if it was the FDA or university choice?
I think there is no reason to hide who choose what, and for which reasons.

Dr. Cui's theory is right. (...)appear the rosette fomation and high CKA level

If there are scientificly convincing video/pictures to show online, that would be nice

Dr. Maharaj's trial (...) does not CKA test, only consider family cancer history.
one has cancer history in his family member history but he can show cancer resistance.
So only select donors by cancer history is not enough.

You mean that CKA tests are much more precise than family history, right? I imagine that family history alone might be easier/cheaper: don't you think it is a tradeoff between quality and quantity of donors (or even feasibility of the study)?

Edited by AgeVivo, 23 June 2009 - 04:12 PM.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#120 dytona

• 25 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 12:31 AM

I heard Dr. Cui's trial is cancelled by the reason that lost principle investigator, and more political reason.

And my test, the lab mind was changed after test.

They show me the result but did not give it to me.

I saw the picture and graph. The only I received was list 10 of 70.

The most high CKA level person list.

And did not want to pay the test.

The lab doubt the CKA, but after they believe the theory.

Anyway, my goal is treat my wife. So the list and see the result is enough.

I and my lab think that the family cancer history is not enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users