• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Candida Auris, is this "Outbreak" in real life?

candida auris outbreak fungal infection apocalypse candida

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:44 PM

I've been following some of the alarming news coming out about Candida Auris, which is a nasty fungus that is resistant to all known antibiotics and antifungals. There are outbreaks in several major US cities, it's killed some people and at least several hundred cases of infections.

map.png

Apparently the main transmission vector is hospitals. Several (rather dramatic) news reports and videos have characterized this as something really scary that might kill up to a billion people.

Candida auris: The Silent Superbug that's Already Too Late to Stop

Is it a civilization threatening scourge? Is this "Outbreak" in real life? Or is it rather unremarkable? Might it evolve into something more concerning? Does it deserve the label "Superbug"?

The CDC Candida Auris page https://www.cdc.gov/fungal/candida-auris/index.html

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 05:11 PM

Seems to be "nasty" primarily (maybe even exclusively) in people with weakened immune systems, like many other species of yeast, bacteria, viruses, and "bugs/germs".

I am always wary of these stories. Why? I have heard the "superbug" story LITERALLY every single year of my life (as far back as I can remember anyway). How many of these "superbugs" ended up wiping out the human race? Zero.

I am much more worried about human engineered pathogens. Over the course of the millennia, human immune systems have encountered and survived every natural "bug".

• Good Point x 1

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:41 AM

In addition, I am pretty sure that viruses have a much higher potential to spread from person to person, than yeast/mold.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 jroseland

• Topic Starter
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 08:38 AM

I am always wary of these stories. Why? I have heard the "superbug" story LITERALLY every single year of my life (as far back as I can remember anyway). How many of these "superbugs" ended up wiping out the human race? Zero.

Yeah, the media has probably cried wolf too many times. When a superbug actually comes along too many will probably ignore it until it's too late.

• Good Point x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: candida auris, outbreak, fungal infection, apocalypse, candida

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users