• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Any Drugs to Prevent Future Hearing Loss?

hearing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nickthird

• 249 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:39 PM

Against high decibel damage and / or aging related hearing loss?

Edited by nickthird, 16 July 2019 - 09:40 PM.

#2 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 03:56 AM

Here's an interesting article with references that indicates high homocysteine may be responsible for hearing loss, & that proper folate supplementation may help.

https://www.lifeexte...ng-Loss/Page-01

Folic acid is the type of folate found in most supplements, but some have difficulty metabolizing folic acid into the active form (methyl folate).  

I take Jarrow brand methyl folate, as it is supposed to contain the most "biologically active" form.  

https://www.jarrow.c...7/Methyl_Folate

I prefer to take the 400mcg dose twice a day, rather than the 1000mcg dose once a day (Jarrow offers both doses).  1000mcg twice a day may be a bit excessive (and expensive).  

At 62 years of age, my hearing has remained exceptionally acute.  When I wake up in the night, I can tell where my cat is in the room as I can hear it breathing (not snoring, but simply breathing).  I've been to nearly 100 rock concerts in my life, so I've had my share of high-db exposures.  

Best of Luck, & protect those ears as best you can.  

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 unbreakable

• 313 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 05:41 AM

N-Acetylcysteine has been studied as an agent to prevent hearing loss.

Except from that you might look into Acetyl-Carnitine and Magnesium.

• Agree x 1

#4 nickthird

• Topic Starter
  • 249 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:14 PM

@Dorian: I take 2/d of Life Extension Optimized Folate (L-Methylfolate), does your brand go further in terms of $/amount absorbed?

Okay so it looks like antioxidants are best. There is a study that shows 50% lower risk with vitamin e, c and magnesium. And it looks like the more you combine the more the protection.

Does it matter which antioxidants you use and is there a ranking of how good they are?

What is the best value for money mixed antioxidant product, that that doesn't overkill in terms of dosage either? i am guess a liquid of natural origin would be better? like berries?

#5 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 02:14 PM

There is a pretty decent body of evidence that the metabolic pathway induced by calorie restriction (CR) prevents hearing loss.

Someya, S., Yu, W., Hallows, W. C., Xu, J., Vann, J. M., Leeuwenburgh, C., ... & Prolla, T. A. (2010). Sirt3 mediates reduction of oxidative damage and prevention of age-related hearing loss under caloric restriction. Cell143(5), 802-812.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/21094524

#6 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 04:34 AM

@Dorian: I take 2/d of Life Extension Optimized Folate (L-Methylfolate), does your brand go further in terms of $/amount absorbed?

Okay so it looks like antioxidants are best. There is a study that shows 50% lower risk with vitamin e, c and magnesium. And it looks like the more you combine the more the protection.

Does it matter which antioxidants you use and is there a ranking of how good they are?

What is the best value for money mixed antioxidant product, that that doesn't overkill in terms of dosage either? i am guess a liquid of natural origin would be better? like berries?

Looks like Jarrow 400mcg & LE cost about the same per cap, but LE is 1000mcg.  Jarrow 1000mcg slightly more expensive.  Probably not a lot of difference. 

When it comes to antioxidants, I like to look at iron (ferritin & transferrin saturation).  Iron is the ultimate pro-oxidant, & even a minor elevation (ferritin over 150 or saturation in the upper third of normal range) will greatly increase demand on dietary or supplemental antioxidants.  Here's an interesting paper on iron, oxidative stress and how many antioxidants actually work simply by chelating free/labile iron (scroll down to:3. Bioactive Compounds That Regulate Oxidative Stress and Iron Metabolism)

https://www.mdpi.com...643/9/7/671/htm

I keep my ferritin under 100 through blood donation, & believe my antioxidant demand is lower. Lower iron (if it is at all elevated) = lower need for supplemental antioxidants. 

SAM-e (s-adenosylmethionine) is the best way I know to boost glutathione (the bodies master antioxidant).  SAM-e ain't cheap, but I take the 200mg tabs twice a day (standard size tabs are 400mg) and I believe they work just as good at half the cost.  

Edited by Dorian Grey, 18 July 2019 - 05:01 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Astroid

• 171 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:53 PM

Search....

Hearing Loss + Nutritional Deficiency ...

or

Hearing Loss + Natural Therapy

That is my preferred way of finding answers. 

I just read a B Vitamin, B1 or B3 deficiency ??... contributed to this ... 

Also.. B-12 does not work well without Vitamin E. 

Edited by Astroid, 01 August 2019 - 06:59 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hearing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users