EGCG and curcumin for cochlear hair cell regeneration

hearing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hoax

• 1 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:55 PM

Green Tea Polyphenols Protects Cochlear Hair Cells from Ototoxicity by Inhibiting Notch Signalling

Notch signalling pathway plays an essential role in the development of cochlea, which inhibits the proliferation of hair cells. Epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) is the most abundant polyphenol in green tea, which presents strong antioxidant activation and has been applied for anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory. In this study, we treated the cochlear explant cultures with EGCG and found that EGCG can protect cochlear hair cells from ototoxic drug gentamicin. We demonstrated that EGCG could down-regulate the expression of Notch signalling pathway target genes, such as Hes1, Hes5, Hey1 and Hey5. However, the Notch pathway ligands such as Delta1, Jag1 and Jag2 were not affected by EGCG. To further illustrate the mechanism of recover cochlear hair cells, we demonstrated that EGCG inhibited the activity of γ-secrectase to suppress Notch signalling pathway and promoted the proliferation and regeneration of hair cells in the damaged cochlea. Our results suggest for the first time the role of EGCG as an inhibitor of the Notch signalling pathway, and support its potential value in hearing-impaired recovery in clinical therapy.

http://www.cyagen.co...Signalling..pdf

Curcumin attenuates endothelial cell oxidative stress injury through Notch signaling inhibition.

Previous studies have demonstrated that Notch signaling pathway plays a regulatory role in cellular oxidative stress injury (OSI). In this study, our aim was to explore the role of the Notch signaling pathway in hydrogen peroxide (H(2)O(2))-induced OSI and the protective effect of curcumin during (H(2)O(2))-induced injury in human umbilical vein endothelial cells (HUVECs). DAPT, a specific inhibitor of the Notch signaling pathway, and Notch1 siRNA were used to study Notch activity. Further, HUVECs were exposed to H(2)O(2) in the absence or presence of curcumin. DAPT and Notch1 siRNA significantly inhibited OSI and the expression of Notch1 and Hes1. Curcumin conferred a protective effect on the HUVECs against H(2)O(2), which was evidenced by improved cell viability, adhesive ability and migratory ability and a decreased apoptotic index, decreased production of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and a reduction in several biochemical parameters. Immunofluorescence and Western blotting analyses demonstrated that H(2)O(2) treatment upregulated the expression of Notch1, Hes1, Caspase3, Bax and cytochrome c downregulated the expression of Bcl2, and treatment with curcumin reversed these effects. We demonstrated for the first time that the inhibition of Notch signaling pathway imparts a protective effect against endothelial OSI. The protective effects of curcumin against OSI are at least in part dependent on Notch1 inhibition.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23219912

Notch Inhibition Induces Cochlear Hair Cell Regeneration and Recovery of Hearing after Acoustic Trauma

Hearing loss due to damage to auditory hair cells is normally irreversible because mammalian hair cells do not regenerate. Here, we show that new hair cells can be induced and can cause partial recovery of hearing in ears damaged by noise trauma, when Notch signaling is inhibited by a γ-secretase inhibitor selected for potency in stimulating hair cell differentiation from inner ear stem cells in vitro. Hair cell generation resulted from an increase in the level of bHLH transcription factor Atoh1 in response to inhibition of Notch signaling. In vivo prospective labeling of Sox2-expressing cells with a Cre-lox system unambiguously demonstrated that hair cell generation resulted from transdifferentiation of supporting cells. Manipulating cell fate of cochlear sensory cells in vivo by pharmacological inhibition of Notch signaling is thus a potential therapeutic approach to the treatment of deafness.

http://www.cell.com/...6273(12)00953-1

Any thoughts about effective doses?

• Informative x 2

#2 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:42 PM

One would hope, of EGCG, 10mg/kg suffices, and of turmeric, 50mg/kg (plus 0.4mg/kg piperine, which occurs in black pepper @ ~50mg/g).

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 nickdino

• 162 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:43 AM

https://www.fightagi...r-ear/#comments

#4 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 January 2019 - 05:18 AM

Wonder if anything has come of this yet.

Also you'd have to get the EGCG to where it needs to go, taking it orally will do nothing, same with curcumin. I do my best to improve the bioavailability of both and still no hearing improvement. I can't hear people talk in loud places with a lot of people talking. It sucks. Supposedly this means high frequency loss and mine drops out at anything beyond 13250hz.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 Ambrosia

• 49 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 February 2019 - 02:22 PM

Wonder if anything has come of this yet.

Also you'd have to get the EGCG to where it needs to go, taking it orally will do nothing, same with curcumin. I do my best to improve the bioavailability of both and still no hearing improvement. I can't hear people talk in loud places with a lot of people talking. It sucks. Supposedly this means high frequency loss and mine drops out at anything beyond 13250hz.

Hi mate, how else would you deliver EGCG?

I’ve taken high dose Nano-curcumin for months and did not do anything for my hearing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hearing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users