• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Sauerkraut with lots of medicinal herbs, spices, roots etc

sauerkraut kimchi herbs herbal medicinal fermented fermentation spices lactic acid bacteria

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 3461416

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:21 AM

I started making sauerkraut recently, and maybe I got a bit carried away. inspired by Ayurvedic herbal formulations that use small amounts of lots of herbs, like Chyawanprash, and a previous sauerkraut that was simpler but included some of each category below, I put lots of foods and herbs etc, that can be fermented with lactic acid bacteria and don't have much sugar, together into a crock with ~2-3% spring water and Celtic salt brine. My thinking is that it'll:

- reduce prep time

- make them more digestible together because of the fermentation

- increase bioavailabilty because of the fermentation

- include minerals that I could get in some lesser amount with infusions and decoctions, but that'd take lots more prep time (if I don't include waiting a month for the fermentation)

- make new available substances, for example bioactive peptides from the fermentation of the proteins, or new stuff from fermenting the "herbs" together (about the bioactive peptides: https://old.reddit.c...kimchi/f6kbn1c/ )

- have synergistic effects together like the variety of ingredients in Chyawanprash and other herbal formulations

- possibly reduce any toxicities of some of the "herbs"

==>> but does anyone know if lactic acid-fermenting any of these, or a combination, will increase a toxicity?

This is what I put in

Vegetables:

green and red cabbage, leeks, broccoli, red and yellow onions, shallots, garlic, fresh ginger, kelp, Irish moss, chives, dried tomatoes

Spices and herbs:

curry blend (coriander, turmeric, mustard, cumin, fenugreek, paprika, cayenne, cardamom, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves)

pumpkin spice blend (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves)

Italian seasoning blend (oregano, marjoram, thyme, basil, rosemary, sage)

Herbs d'Provence blend (savory, thyme, rosemary, basil, tarragon, lavender flowers)

dried ginger, fenugreek seeds, caraway seeds, black pepper

"Herbs"/"herbal medicines":

black cumin seeds, ashwagandha, gotu kola, mucuna, guduchi, vacha aka calamus, shatavari, shankhapushpi, tribulus, holy basil, eleuthero, nettle root, nettle leaf, milk thistle seeds, pau d'arco, Jamaican sarsaparilla, licorice, jasmine green tea, damiana, St. John's Wort, lemon balm, shilajit

Others:

raw oysters, whole sardines, raw beef liver, raw beef kidney, soaked pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds

It's gonna be so yummy in my tummy maybe. I know it'll taste weird but I want to try it for the nutritional and medicinal value. And because I'm classy.

Edited by 863127, 07 November 2019 - 09:12 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sauerkraut, kimchi, herbs, herbal, medicinal, fermented, fermentation, spices, lactic acid, bacteria

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users