- - - - -

supplements to increase focus. no prescription, non racetam

concentration

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:56 AM

I swear I have ADD as an adult, I used to be able to focus on things extremely well, obsessively, learning about new subjects until I had a heap of information, and then more!  I used to be able to explain things really well such that even people who knew barely anything about a subject could understand.

I can't do this anymore.  I believe meditation is part of the cause, over the last couple years my thoughts have changed largely, I can think in overall picture now but fail at the minutia.  This is annoying to me.  I want to be able to focus again.  For example, imagine before I was a programmer who could write the best programs in the world.  Now I am the guy who can conceptualize the program but can't write it.

Creating this post, a couple paragraphs, took me way longer than it should.  It's hard for me to actually DO things because as I'm writing this I'm imagining all the other things I want to do

#2 Oakman

Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:39 PM

Jan 1st you might want to try what will be newly legal in your state. Usually help people focus easily!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:03 AM

Oh, yeah, I live in Oregon now, it's legal here.  But I'm not sure if you're joking, lots of people say it makes it harder for them to concentrate.  Are you talking about weed or edibles?

Edited by ironfistx, 03 December 2019 - 05:05 AM.

#4 Oakman

Posted 03 December 2019 - 02:53 PM

Oh, yeah, I live in Oregon now, it's legal here.  But I'm not sure if you're joking, lots of people say it makes it harder for them to concentrate.  Are you talking about weed or edibles?

No joke. Good 'ol school micro-dosing gives focus when I need it. Edibles are $$, slow, unpredictable, and problematic....therefore useless.

#5 BasicBiO

• 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:22 PM

Recently started using flowering quince extract (Chaenomeles speciosa). Really seems to help me focus well. I'm trying to research it more for it's nootropic effects but there isn't a lot out there. Thus far, I have used it sporadically and don't have a feel as to whether tolerance is an issue.

Jiaogulan is another favorite of mine. Better for motivation than for focus, IMO.

#6 DaveX

• 84 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:57 AM

Bacopa Monnieri seems a typical choice for focus. I also think it's good, however I think quality can vary very much (like having to take just 1-2 capsules or many tablets, as they are more often pressed tablets).
Sometimes when focus is an absolute priority I also take things I normally would not take, because it makes me feel uncomfortable in certain ways. One like that would be MSM, which is generally quite effective. Then acetylcholine boosters or -esterase inhibitors, like Huperzine A, or Alpha GPC (not an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, but quite intensely acetylcholinic).

And then, it sounds like you should do more reading, serious or fun, anything will do (as long as it's any good).

Edited by DaveX, 04 December 2019 - 07:21 AM.

#7 prunk

• 227 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 10:11 AM

Bacopa Monnieri seems a typical choice for focus. I also think it's good, however I think quality can vary very much (like having to take just 1-2 capsules or many tablets, as they are more often pressed tablets).
Sometimes when focus is an absolute priority I also take things I normally would not take, because it makes me feel uncomfortable in certain ways. One like that would be MSM, which is generally quite effective. Then acetylcholine boosters or -esterase inhibitors, like Huperzine A, or Alpha GPC (not an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, but quite intensely acetylcholinic).

And then, it sounds like you should do more reading, serious or fun, anything will do (as long as it's any good).

I second using Bacopa. But not all of them work, for some reason. I've tried three different brands and only one was suprisingly good for focus and also mental energy. The other ones just made me tired and unable to focus.

#8 Clavius

• 59 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 December 2019 - 01:17 PM

I was diagnosed with ADHD-PI (ADD) last year. Prior to the official diagnosis I wasn't allowed any stimulant medication. (Laws here in Holland.) But because I suspected that I had it, I tried all the usual:

- 4 of the racetam variants: did nothing.

- Noopept: made me focus for a few days, then nothing.

- Sulbutiamine: made me focus for a few days, then nothing. 

- Bacopa: Made my thought processes slow.

- Choline: Made lethargic and depressed.

- Omega3: Made me depressed.

- Tyrosine: Zero effect.

Only my prescription of Concerta made a real difference. 

• Agree x 1

#9 coinperson

• 49 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:18 PM

What helped me the most is:

#10 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 04:48 AM

No joke. Good 'ol school micro-dosing gives focus when I need it. Edibles are $$, slow, unpredictable, and problematic....therefore useless.

No way, edibles are unpredictable when made at home, but not when you buy them.  Two and a half mg and I'm good.  Not really increased concentration but increased everything else.  We have prices as low as $4 for 50mg, however cost can vary depending on manufacturer, isolate or full spectrum, concentrate or distillate, terpenes.

#11 Fredsify

• 6 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 04:58 AM

With the vape scare going around I suppose vaping it is out of the question regards to thc/cbd. For me Rhodiola Rosea helps for "sustained" focus and task "stamina", that pretty much means for me that it makes me able to stay focused on a task for longer periods of time without experiencing fatigue.. its not that it necessarily helps the actual focus just that I can do it for longer. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#12 Tabsunder

• 8 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2020 - 01:17 AM

I've found Adrafinil, Pramiracetam and Phenylpiracetam to be helpful in remaining focused (I know you said non-racetam but figured I'd mention what works for me).

Adrafinil seems to be fairly consistent for me, doesn't require a prescription, and isn't something that needs to be taken daily. I primarily only take it when I know I have my work cut out for me for the day, or if I'm going to be doing some tedious mundane task repetitively.

Other things I've found to be helpful with remaining focused/on task would be nicotine (however most intake methods are harmful in other ways) and caffeine, especially if combined together alongside L-Theanine. Hope this helps! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: concentration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users