* * * * * 2 votes

Protecting from Coronavirus - Supplements & Therapies

coronavirus flu disease epidemics viruses immunity covid-19

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3083 replies to this topic

#91 Blu

• 40 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 12:54 PM

Along the same lines of NAC supplementation, serrapeptase is very efficacious at mucolysis.

• like x 1

#92 lancebr

• 440 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 05:28 AM

Maybe we should start taking whey protein as a preventative measure and also to regulate our

immune response if we get the virus.

Traditional antiviral mechanisms of milk proteins:

"The life cycle of a virus comprises several phases such as binding to the host cell surface,

entry or fusion, replication of the viral genome, viral protein synthesis, virus progeny assembly

and release. All these steps may be targeted by antiviral agents of milk derived proteins."

Binding to structural virus proteins prevent virus host cell interaction:

"Enveloped viruses, meaning the viral capsid is coated with a lipid membrane known as the viral

envelop, infect host cells via the interaction between envelop proteins and cellular receptors.

Many of the antiviral milk proteins can bind to structural proteins of the virion in order to prevent

binding of the virus to the target cell and subsequently inhibit entry of the viral genome into the host cell."

Milk protein as an immune modulator:

"There is a great quantity of milk protein properties that can lead to immune regulation, involving in both up

and down regulation of the immune system. Milk proteins function as antiviral and immune regulatory factors

by regulating the innate immune response both through up-regulation to enhance killing of viruses, and

down-regulation to reduce detrimental conditions such as sepsis. Additionally, the whey protein lactoferrin,

and pepsin derived peptide fragments have been studied extensively for antiviral properties, direct

interaction with the virus particle, interaction with cellular receptors on the target cells, and complex antiviral

mechanisms involving stimulation and regulation of the immune system"

It appears that whey protein not only helps to inhibit the virus from taking hold but also helps to regulate the

immune system so if you need it up regulated or down regulated.  I have read that elderly people usually are

deficient in protein compared to younger people.  Maybe that is one reason this is hitting the elderly harder

compared to the younger people.

Does anyone see any reason that it would be harmful to take whey protein in this situation or any way that

it might cause the virus to be worse?

Sources: 

NewburgD. S.1999Human milk glycoconjugates that inhibit pathogens,Curr Med Chem 6117127

Antirotaviral activity of milk proteins: lactoferrin prevents rotavirus infection in the enterocyte-like cell line HT-29,Med Microbiol Immunol

T. J.2001Lactoferrin and cyclic lactoferricin inhibit the entry of human cytomegalovirus into human fibroblasts,Antiviral Res 51141149

K.TomitaM.1992Identification of the bactericidal domain of lactoferrin, Biochim Biophys Acta 1121130136

Edited by lancebr, 11 March 2020 - 05:29 AM.

#93 HBRU

• 167 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 March 2020 - 06:13 PM

Impressive italian datas
I think I have passed it. Not sure. But I'm sure BHT taken daily helps... 300 mg till 900 mg daily

Attached Files

#94 lancebr

• 440 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 06:56 PM

Impressive italian datas
I think I have passed it. Not sure. But I'm sure BHT taken daily helps... 300 mg till 900 mg daily

Is BHT safe to take before getting the virus and after getting the virus?

I know certain supplements should not be taken if you already got the virus since they

might make the virus worse.

Edited by lancebr, 11 March 2020 - 07:10 PM.

#95 Oakman

Posted 11 March 2020 - 08:49 PM

Is BHT safe to take before getting the virus and after getting the virus?

I know certain supplements should not be taken if you already got the virus since they

might make the virus worse.

From a site that is a bit scarier than most on BHT. I did order some, just haven't decided exactly how much or when to use it. Like if I'm sick or as a preventative?

"BHT is a potent inactivator of lipid-enveloped viruses.  The viral envelope structure is physically disturbed by BHT, thereby interfering with viral adsorption to host cells."

https://www.diagnose...roxytoluene.php

• unsure x 1
  • Agree x 1

#96 Hip

• 2,396 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 09:01 PM

A pharmacokinetic study showed that for humans taking BHT orally, the amount of BHT that makes it into bloodstream varies greatly from person to person, with some individuals showing no detectable BHT in their plasma after an oral dose, and others showing reasonable amounts in their plasma. 1

Some years ago when I performed some pharmacokinetic calculations to work out how effective BHT might be in vivo for cytomegalovirus, it only had modest antiviral effects at best. To put in in perspective: I calculated what I called the potency factor, which was 100 for BHT, whereas the potency factor for commercial pharmaceutical antivirals is around 5000. So BHT is a weak antiviral, at least for cytomegalovirus (which is an enveloped virus). 

Still, that might make all the difference between life and death in some patients.

• Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#97 HBRU

• 167 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 March 2020 - 09:38 PM

I was taking BHT before and still taking it... Precious as gold. Mixed with oil and limonene. Then taking vitamin C, Astragalus, and my usual stack... (taking away some stuffs). Taken TUDCA as I had the impression I could go towards inflammation and it helped. Taken omega 3 + aspirin (80 mg) daily for same reason... Still have some simptoms but extremely light now... the virus seems to be in the body for long time as it somehow hides from the immunitary system. I actually had only mild simptoms... Dry cough. Light pain in the chest. Not sure it was coronavirus but sure something unusual it was... So I suppose it was. I actually keep on with 300/600 mg daily of BHT. Don't want to have relapse.
  • Informative x 1

#98 lancebr

• 440 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 11:02 PM

From a site that is a bit scarier than most on BHT. I did order some, just haven't decided exactly how much or when to use it. Like if I'm sick or as a preventative?

"BHT is a potent inactivator of lipid-enveloped viruses.  The viral envelope structure is physically disturbed by BHT, thereby interfering with viral adsorption to host cells."

https://www.diagnose...roxytoluene.php

Are you concerned about the cancer issue with it?

I know that there are some threads on longecity about the possibility of it being cancer causing.

#99 Oakman

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:35 AM

Are you concerned about the cancer issue with it?

I know that there are some threads on longecity about the possibility of it being cancer causing.

Let's see... possible death or severe pneumonia ...or... some possibility of cancer? Hummm? What to do...

I'm just being facetious of course. The reality here and now seems more important than the a chance of something. BHT won't be on my regimen for life (I hope), but it may help right now.

• Agree x 1

#100 HBRU

• 167 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 March 2020 - 03:49 AM

Yes, same considerations.
Also my mother (84 years old) has same symptoms and has taken same stuff. She is well till now. Will let you know in the future. I see it's extremely difficult to avoid this virus as it is very contagious. We started BHT before the infection so we have taken it during the silent phase and during the mild symptoms phase hopefully stopping it during that phase .
  • Informative x 1

#101 lancebr

• 440 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 04:56 AM

Yes, same considerations.
Also my mother (84 years old) has same symptoms and has taken same stuff. She is well till now. Will let you know in the future. I see it's extremely difficult to avoid this virus as it is very contagious. We started BHT before the infection so we have taken it during the silent phase and during the mild symptoms phase hopefully stopping it during that phase .

If I can ask, is that the only thing she is taking or other things?  My grandmother is living with us and she is 82 and

she is the one I am most worried about because it seems to hit the elderly really bad. 

I also worry that since I work in a large office setting that someone might catch it and bring it to work and then I will

unknowingly bring it home and then she might it get.  So that is why I am trying to find out about anything and

everything that could maybe help to keep her from getting it or if she does eventually get it then help to keep

it from getting so severe.

Thanks

Edited by lancebr, 12 March 2020 - 04:57 AM.

#102 HBRU

• 167 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 March 2020 - 05:19 AM

No. Also vitamin C, vitamin D, omega 3, Astragalus & sometimes Cordyceps.

Regarding limonene: not sure helps... Try.

BHT -if well absorbed- gives an effect somehow similar to a beer...

Sometimes seems goes better just with oil (coconut oli actually in my case)....

#103 lancebr

• 440 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 05:55 AM

Thanks.

Of those which ones were taken before getting the virus as a preventative measure?

Edited by lancebr, 12 March 2020 - 05:56 AM.

#104 HBRU

• 167 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:35 AM

Not sure I got it so mild where the symptoms (but strange).... 300 mg daily with oil.

#105 HBRU

• 167 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:38 AM

All of them... well you don't know exactly when you come in contact with the virus. Silent phase is where you can slow down the virus so your immunitary system can see it and react to it. What I see the virus is somehow similar to herpes. It hides. Just my impression...

#106 HBRU

• 167 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:43 AM

Taken also c60 twice... Two big spoons...

#107 Mr Matsubayashi

• 226 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:42 AM

I have used lactoferrin successfully in the past for seasonal flu. I take two 250mg capsules daily when needed. 

There is evidence its effective against SARS which is a coronavirus. It is also used as an adjunct treatment for other viral issues such as HIV. 

Inhibition of SARS Pseudovirus Cell Entry by Lactoferrin Binding to Heparan Sulfate Proteoglycans

Antiviral activities of lactoferrin.

"It has been revealed that LF is highly up-regulated (by 150 fold) in the peripheral blood mononuclear cells of SARS patients "

"LF is a highly conserved protein, with approximately 70% sequence homology between the bovine and human forms [54]. Therefore, bovine LF is often utilized as a substitute for human LF because of their similar functions"

"Our results suggest that LF can inhibit the entry of SARS pseudovirus into HEK293E/ACE2-Myc cells in a dose-dependent manner."

"In summary, LF may exert its protective functions against SARS-CoV invasion in two ways at the same time. On the one hand, as reported in previous research, LF enhances NK cell activity and stimulates neutrophil aggregation and adhesion in immune defense [8]; on the other hand, LF curtails the entry of SARS-CoV into host cells during SARS-CoV infection. LF may have potential therapeutic applications as a drug candidate for the treatment of SARS disease."

Edited by Mr Matsubayashi, 12 March 2020 - 09:21 AM.

• WellResearched x 1

#108 HBRU

• 167 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 March 2020 - 11:55 AM

did also -3 times till now- very very hot baths.... just to rise body temperature quite a lot... this helpfully will kill some of the viruses around...

be carefull because it is possible to loose counsciessness with very hot baths... also not good if you have hearth trouble....

I think this is possible if health conditions are accettable....

#109 Izan

• 387 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 12:34 PM

lactoferrin alsmost completely sold out on iherb.....

some people know.

interesting.

#110 Izan

• 387 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:16 PM

I have used lactoferrin successfully in the past for seasonal flu. I take two 250mg capsules daily when needed. 

There is evidence its effective against SARS which is a coronavirus. It is also used as an adjunct treatment for other viral issues such as HIV. 

Inhibition of SARS Pseudovirus Cell Entry by Lactoferrin Binding to Heparan Sulfate Proteoglycans

Antiviral activities of lactoferrin.

"It has been revealed that LF is highly up-regulated (by 150 fold) in the peripheral blood mononuclear cells of SARS patients "

"LF is a highly conserved protein, with approximately 70% sequence homology between the bovine and human forms [54]. Therefore, bovine LF is often utilized as a substitute for human LF because of their similar functions"

"Our results suggest that LF can inhibit the entry of SARS pseudovirus into HEK293E/ACE2-Myc cells in a dose-dependent manner."

"In summary, LF may exert its protective functions against SARS-CoV invasion in two ways at the same time. On the one hand, as reported in previous research, LF enhances NK cell activity and stimulates neutrophil aggregation and adhesion in immune defense [8]; on the other hand, LF curtails the entry of SARS-CoV into host cells during SARS-CoV infection. LF may have potential therapeutic applications as a drug candidate for the treatment of SARS disease."

apolactoferrin or lactoferrin? Or it doesn't matter? Will it increase iron levels in your body? thank you.

this is a VERY interesting compound.

#111 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:42 PM

Luteolin might be useful.  Perhaps Quercetin as well.

Small Molecules Blocking the Entry of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus into Host Cells

• like x 1

#112 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 04:52 PM

LEF has some good general options.

https://www.lifeexte...cecode=INC212E

#113 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 05:00 PM

If I can ask, is that the only thing she is taking or other things?  My grandmother is living with us and she is 82 and

she is the one I am most worried about because it seems to hit the elderly really bad. 

I also worry that since I work in a large office setting that someone might catch it and bring it to work and then I will

unknowingly bring it home and then she might it get.  So that is why I am trying to find out about anything and

everything that could maybe help to keep her from getting it or if she does eventually get it then help to keep

it from getting so severe.

Thanks

Clean the house with disinfectant at times. Don't get too close to your grandmother, if you think you might be carrying the disease. Don't sneeze on her or around her.

#114 lancebr

• 440 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:33 PM

Clean the house with disinfectant at times. Don't get too close to your grandmother, if you think you might be carrying the disease. Don't sneeze on her or around her.

I am lysoling everything, including door handles etc, that is touched by anyone.  I even remember one

doctor on tv recommended that people put a bottle of hand sanitizer by each door of their house so that

when they come in they can sanitize their hands immediately and hopefully not bring the virus in

if they touched it somewhere while out.

Who would have thought we would be starting out 2020 dealing with something like this.  I have noticed

around my town that some people are starting to take it seriously, but there are others that don't seem

to care and are just doing what they usually do with the hugging and kissing when they meet friends etc.

#115 BlueCloud

• 540 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:42 PM

It has already been mentioned here, but i can also vouch for the combination of Vitamin C + Zinc lozenges. I used to have colds/flu at least 5 or 6 times every year, lasting for weeks. Instead, for the last 3 or 4 years, i would fall really sick maybe only once a year, and get better in 4 or 5 days instead of almost 2 weeks previously.

Basically, on a chronic basis : 1g Vitamin C, every morning, 1 zinc lozenge ( from Natural Factors) 4 or 5 times a week, Olive Leaf extract 4 times a week

On the first signs of an infection : up to 5g Vitamin C per day, up to 4 Zinc lozenges a day, Olive Leaf extract every day. Usually the infection never gets to  fully develop, and i return to normal after a couple of days.

Edited by BlueCloud, 12 March 2020 - 08:44 PM.

• Informative x 2

#116 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 03:35 AM

lactoferrin alsmost completely sold out on iherb.....

some people know.

interesting.

Life Extension's Enhanced Zinc Lozenges (zinc acetate) also sold out till April 4.  Vitamin Shoppe used to have them and they were out too.  

Early birds get the effective supps!  

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#117 Mr Matsubayashi

• 226 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 March 2020 - 04:06 AM

LEF has some good general options.

https://www.lifeexte...cecode=INC212E

That's some good homework, food sources on some of their targets;

Vitamin C

Kiwifruit have about 100mg Vitamin C per 100grams of fruit, and are generally one of the most nutritious fruit. Vitamin C RDI is a single Kiwi fruit. https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Kiwifruit

Kiwifruit reduce severity and duration of rhinovirus (Paid for by Kiwi industry lol) https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/22172428

Selenium

Large doses of selenium can cause toxicity https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3225252/

A single Brazil nut (richest natural source) will meet RDI of 55ug. https://ods.od.nih.g...thProfessional/

Lactoferrin 

Cow milk has about 150mg / L. https://en.wikipedia...iki/Lactoferrin

Bovine Colostrum (Winner) is about 5g/L https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4814036/

This baby formula (lazy research) has 0.02g/L once reconstituted https://www.pharmacy...sachets-1g-x-60

Unlikely to be a difference between the Apo/Lactoferrin in antiviral performance https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC6264778/

Quercetin Epicatechin / Lutolin / EGCG

Apples 13.2mg Quercetin / 8.65mg Epicatechin /100g https://www.ncbi.nlm...cles/PMC442131/

Green tea is another wicked source of catechins like epicatechin and EGCG at 75mg/cup total. https://www.ncbi.nlm...ooks/NBK299060/

Raddichio! 37mg Luteolin 31mg Quercetin /100g https://www.lutimax....d-to-your-diet/

Side note: Don't add your Bovine Colostrum to your green tea (Gross don't do this). Milk proteins bind to catechins making them useless. https://www.newscien...enefits-of-tea/

Edited by Mr Matsubayashi, 13 March 2020 - 04:56 AM.

• WellResearched x 1

#118 Mr Matsubayashi

• 226 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 March 2020 - 05:08 AM

Most importantly, when you find yourself isolated with your significant other

https://www.vice.com...ighting-the-flu

#119 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 05:25 AM

Most importantly, when you find yourself isolated with your significant other

https://www.vice.com...ighting-the-flu

Oh Boy, hummer time!  

#120 lancebr

• 440 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 05:28 AM

It seems that the anti-malarial drug Chloroquine is showing to be a good drug to fight this virus.

In the recent treatment guideline put out by the Chinese they used Chloroquine Phosphate at oral

doses of 500mg twice a day for about 10 days.  They said it showed good results.

Now the treatment guidelines from Korea show that they are also using it and they say they are using

it for patients with serious symptoms who are old or have underlying conditions.  The only difference in

Korea is they recommend only 500mg by mouth once a day for 7 to 10 days.  In China they used it twice

a day.  I wonder if once a day is enough to fight the virus and also lessen the possible side effects.

http://www.koreabiom...html?idxno=7428

Here is an interesting video by a Dr. Seheult explaining how Chloroquine is some type of zinc ionophere

that aids zinc getting into certain cells to fight the virus. I have read that Quercetin and Epigallocatechin-gallate

have shown some zinc ionophere qualities.

I also noticed in the treatment guidelines that China and Korea were both using the HIV drug Kaletra

with good results.

Edited by lancebr, 13 March 2020 - 05:49 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coronavirus, flu, disease epidemics, viruses, immunity, covid-19

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users