* * * * * 2 votes

Protecting from Coronavirus - Supplements & Therapies

coronavirus flu disease epidemics viruses immunity covid-19

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3083 replies to this topic

#1741 Gal220

• 1,048 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 12:10 AM

Harvard research claiming the CoronaVirus goes as far back as August-2019 in China - Link

• Disagree x 2
  • Agree x 1

#1742 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 12:39 AM

Harvard research claiming the CoronaVirus goes as far back as August-2019 in China - Link

?? What was the name of the Harvard Professor?  This just reeks of farce.  I mean how does an uptick in "diarrhea" searches prove a respiratory virus was seeded earlier than thought :|?

An analysis of satellite imagery and search engine trends from Harvard and Boston University suggests that Wuhan hospitals were seeing an uptick in hospital parking in late summer 2019, the same time Baidu trends saw an increase in “diarrhea” searches.

• like x 3
  • dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1743 lancebr

• 440 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 07:41 AM

IgA dominates the early neutralizing antibody response to SARS-CoV-2

https://www.medrxiv....6.10.20126532v1

So are there any supplements that increases IgA in the body?

I have heard that Colostrum might be good for raising IgA level.

• Informative x 3

#1744 Gal220

• 1,048 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 06:28 PM

Summary stats from Mercola  - Link

"In the case of Minnesota, 97% of COVID-19-related deaths have occurred in those “already fighting serious illness before they were infected.“9 The average age of those who have died is 82. Meanwhile, the medial age of Minnesotans with known COVID-19 infection is 42.

Just like in other areas, more than 80% of deaths occurred in nursing homes, assisted living facilities and live-in rehab centers, and there are logical reasons for this. More than 90% of residents of these centers have at least one chronic disease and more than 70% have two conditions, which in turn can weaken their immune systems.10 They also live in close quarters and share staff, which facilitates the spread of pathogens."

"Rather than calling for the total lockdown of healthy and low-risk populations, why did health and government officials not simply call for the protection and isolation of the elderly?"

"If 20% of people catch the disease at the hospital and 33% of deaths happen in nursing homes, just how much of the entire disease burden is a result of the health care system alone?"

Deaths in Minnesota by age - 6 in 30s, 12 in 40s, 50 in 50s, 116 in 60s, 202 in 70s, 353 in 80s , 26 in 90s and 21 in 100+

Article goes on to talk about aging immune system,  maintaining NAD+ levels(David Sinclair input) , metformin, and vitamin D.

As much as Mercola makes this out to be a senior disease, my own take away is those of us 30 and up still shouldnt take our health too lightly 

Edited by Gal220, 12 June 2020 - 06:31 PM.

• Informative x 2

#1745 lancebr

• 440 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 07:17 PM

Summary stats from Mercola  - Link

"In the case of Minnesota, 97% of COVID-19-related deaths have occurred in those “already fighting serious illness before they were infected.“9 The average age of those who have died is 82. Meanwhile, the medial age of Minnesotans with known COVID-19 infection is 42.

Just like in other areas, more than 80% of deaths occurred in nursing homes, assisted living facilities and live-in rehab centers, and there are logical reasons for this. More than 90% of residents of these centers have at least one chronic disease and more than 70% have two conditions, which in turn can weaken their immune systems.10 They also live in close quarters and share staff, which facilitates the spread of pathogens."

"Rather than calling for the total lockdown of healthy and low-risk populations, why did health and government officials not simply call for the protection and isolation of the elderly?"

"If 20% of people catch the disease at the hospital and 33% of deaths happen in nursing homes, just how much of the entire disease burden is a result of the health care system alone?"

Deaths in Minnesota by age - 6 in 30s, 12 in 40s, 50 in 50s, 116 in 60s, 202 in 70s, 353 in 80s , 26 in 90s and 21 in 100+

Article goes on to talk about aging immune system,  maintaining NAD+ levels(David Sinclair input) , metformin, and vitamin D.

As much as Mercola makes this out to be a senior disease, my own take away is those of us 30 and up still shouldnt take our health too lightly 

So what supplements are recommended to maintain NAD+ levels?

#1746 Gal220

• 1,048 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 08:22 PM

I think Alive by Nature is ahead of the game, and it is tempting, especially if I was older.   Its not like the vitamin C thing on the previous page, plenty of people are taking it,  pricey too - Alive website

Luckily you are already in right place to read up on it - NAD subforum

#1747 Dorian Grey

• 2,161 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 04:32 AM

So what supplements are recommended to maintain NAD+ levels?

Nicotinamide Riboside (aka Niagen).  It ain't cheap, but Chris Masterjohn says you don't need a whole lot to do a lot of good.  

I've got Life Extension brand NAD+ "Cell Regenerator" (Nicotinamide Riboside / 100mg) capsules that were not too expensive.  

https://www.lifeexte...t=coveo4A2453FD

30 caps for $18, but you get a better deal if you buy 4 bottles (120 day supply).  I'm only taking 1/day.  

Here, Masterjohn describes why you shouldn't mega-dose NAD+

I'm also taking the TMG he talks about, but it's probably not necessary if you're only taking 100mg/day of the NAD+.  

Edited by Dorian Grey, 13 June 2020 - 04:40 AM.

• Informative x 3
  • unsure x 1

#1748 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 13 June 2020 - 09:48 PM

TUDCA was mentioned early on. There's a letter to the editor in Med Hypotheses about using UDCA. TUDCA is the taurine conjugate form of UDCA.

Med Hypotheses. 2020 May 30;143:109897. 

Saleem Abdulrab  1 , Sadeq Al-Maweri  2 , Esam Halboub  3
Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID- 19) caused by novel severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) has caused an unprecedented global public health crisis. Worldwide, around 4 million infected cases and around 278,000 related-deaths have been reported by May 10, 2020. Mounting evidence has suggested that critical cases are due to development of acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) and subsequent respiratory failure, owing to what is called a cytokine storm syndrome (CSS). As the name implies, the CSS is characterised by a sudden, abnormal release of inflammatory cytokines including many interlukins (IL) like IL-1β, IL-12, IL-6, IL-18, and IL-33, interferon α and γ (IFN- α and γ), tumor necrosis factor α (TNF-α), and tumor growth factor β (TGFβ), due to over-reaction of the innate immunity [1]. Additionally CSS has been shown to induce many reactive oxygen species [2]. As mentioned earlier, CSS is strongly associated with severe tissue damage, contributing to the fatal outcomes of COVID-19 [1].
Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) is a hydrophilic bile acid. It is the therapeutically active component of bear bile, and has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for more than 3000 years. Normally, UDCA present in human bile but in a low concentration: 3% of bile acid pool. It has been shown to possess anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, immunomodulatory and anti-apoptotic properties [3], [4]. In many studies, UDCA inhibits the pro-inflammatory cytokines of TNF-α, IL-1β, IL-2, IL-4 and IL-6 at the mRNA and protein levels [5], [6]. Additionally, study showed that UDCA has strong antioxidant properties and remarkable scavenging efficiency [7] Drug-induced liver injury has become a serious health problem, UDCA, with its known liver-protection effects, may play an auxiliary role in COVID-19 treatment. UDCA, at a dose of 13-15mg/kg/day, is a safe and recommended.
UDCA has been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for dissolving gall stone, and for treatment of several cholestatic liver diseases such as primary biliary cholangitis [8]. The beneficial action of UDCA in respiratory diseases has been previously demonstrated; it showed a significant improvement in all histopathological changes that occurred in context of airway remodeling. These beneficial effects might be ascribed to the efficient modulation of Th-2 derived cytokines and the inhibition of apoptosis of airway epithelial cells [9]. Recently, UDCA has been shown to stimulate alveolar fluid clearance in lipopolysaccharide-induced pulmonary edema via ALX/cAMP/PI3K pathway resulting in an improvement of acute respiratory distress syndrome [10]. The latter study clearly indicates that UDCA may have promising therapeutic effects in COVID-19- induced pneumonia and related lung oedema.
Given its anti-inflammatory and immune modulating actions, we suggest adding UDCA to the current treatment protocols of COVID-19 as it might be effective in tackling CSS due to its ability to suppress the immune mediators. This hypothesis merits clinical trials.
PMID: 32505909

• Informative x 1

#1749 Malf

• 79 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 June 2020 - 10:04 PM

Nicotinamide Riboside (aka Niagen).  It ain't cheap, but Chris Masterjohn says you don't need a whole lot to do a lot of good.  

I've got Life Extension brand NAD+ "Cell Regenerator" (Nicotinamide Riboside / 100mg) capsules that were not too expensive.  

https://www.lifeexte...t=coveo4A2453FD

30 caps for $18, but you get a better deal if you buy 4 bottles (120 day supply).  I'm only taking 1/day.  

Here, Masterjohn describes why you shouldn't mega-dose NAD+

I'm also taking the TMG he talks about, but it's probably not necessary if you're only taking 100mg/day of the NAD+.  

Is that the same stuff Shannon Sharpe uses?

• Off-Topic x 1

#1750 lancebr

• 440 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 11:09 PM

So would it be possible for the MMR vaccine to prevent the sepsis that seems to be killing people with Covid

https://www.nola.com...ba111ee47c.html

https://www.dailymai...-sufferers.html

#1751 Gal220

• 1,048 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 05:24 AM

Like Vitamin D, Chris takes the conservative approach with NAD which I think is more warranted as there arent near as many studies on it(Even the "official" UL for D is 4000IU). Another Posters thoughts - Link

If you do go with the higher dose, some people cycle it in various ways  - Link

Given all the controversy with absorption, if I was going to try it, I would go with a low dose of Alive by Natures sublingual nmn or nad+ powder. - Link

TMG was good info from Chris.

• Informative x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#1752 Gal220

• 1,048 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 07:47 PM

I read some info that said the NMN was not absorbed good....so which ones actually works since they are all pricey.

I dont see how this is off topic, NAD is reported to possibly help the immune and "possibly" is unfortunately all we can get with every single supplement in this thread.   This thread is winding down anyway

"Importantly, he(Sinclair) points out that maintaining optimal NAD+ levels may therefore alleviate COVID-19 symptoms. This theory is further supported by recent data showing “SARS-CoV-2 proteins … deplete NAD+,” and the fact that NAD+ precursors are known to inhibit inflammation.Helpful strategies to achieve that include taking NAD precursors such as nontimed-release niacin, lowering your sugar intake (as excess blood glucose lowers NAD+), cyclical nutritional ketosis, and/or taking glycine or collagen."

Like D3, dosage recommendations are all over the place and things like Curcumin have several different formulations, so when you say take D3 or Curcumin, it really isnt that simple.

These reddit comments sum it up though

One Poster

"sublingual NMN is the way to IMHO. I just use the pure powder, not the sublingual tablets, taste is fine.you cant really do sublingual NR because it tastes fucking awful. And sublingual is the way most of us on the longecity board are having results.The subject is still touchy and controversial though with lots of differing opinions"

Another poster

"Research may be lacking, but my personal experience with NR was better than with any other supplement I've tried in the last 40 years. Total elimination of back/joint pain and stiffness. Better sleep, more energy, a thermogenic effect, which is nice for an Alaskan, better immune response to allergies, faster recovery from exercise. etc. At age 67 it may not increase my lifespan, but it has drastically increased the quality of my life."

Review article from this year - if Julia owes her appearance to NR, i would certainly choose that one, doubtful though.

Edited by Gal220, 14 June 2020 - 07:47 PM.

• Agree x 1

#1753 Gal220

• 1,048 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 03:11 AM

Is that the same stuff Shannon Sharpe uses?

Yes, the same stuff, although the people on this site seem to prefer Alive by Nature.  To try out smaller doses(this definitely bleeding edge, hard to know long term side effects), i would go the Alive by Nature sublingual route.

For what it is worth, Phoebus has tried all the products and thinks the NAD+ gel is best - Post Link , Product Link 1 , 2 (larger amnt-price break) , sales pitch

Just keep in mind TMG that Dorian posted about.

Edited by Gal220, 15 June 2020 - 03:14 AM.

#1754 quarter

• 132 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 03:34 PM

BBC News - Coronavirus: Dexamethasone proves first life-saving drug
https://www.bbc.co.u...health-53061281

#1755 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 03:55 PM

BBC News - Coronavirus: Dexamethasone proves first life-saving drug
https://www.bbc.co.u...health-53061281

I'm surprised that it's taken this long to figure this out.  I would think a corticosteroid would have been tried very early on in a disease where cytokine storm is a major contributor to mortality.  

I had assumed that corticosteroids had been tried and found not to help.  It's such an obvious thing to try.

• Agree x 3
  • Good Point x 2

#1756 Dorian Grey

• 2,161 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:21 AM

Saw an interesting article about airborne contagion, talking about "droplet nuclei" as the prime suspect for indoor transmission.  

https://www.yahoo.co...-115751594.html

Most of us have heard about droplet generation from sneezing/coughing, which typically fall out of respiratory range of others within a few feet, but aerosols are a bit trickier. Aerosols arise from small droplets generated primarily through vocalization. These small droplets evaporate to a "droplet nuclei", which contain virus and are light enough to float about locally. They are quickly dissipated outdoors, particularly if there is any breeze at all, but in indoor environments, fairly concentrated clouds (depending entirely on the amount of vocalization going on) can form & hang in the air locally, or drift via gentile air movement of the indoor environment.

I feel it's important to consider true aerosols are generated primarily through vocalization. An infected person, sitting quietly does not exhale clouds of virus with every breath. They are only contagious when coughing, sneezing or vocalizing. This means indoor environments, where un-masked people are talking are the greatest danger for contagion. Bad news for restaurants & bars, where folks are allowed to take their masks off and vocalize freely. Here's a report of a nurse who went out with 15 friends to a bar and it looks like they ALL might have come down with corona.  Loud music, everyone talking loudly over the music with close proximity.  The perfect storm.  

https://www.dailymai...lorida-bar.html

Here's another story about vocalization contagion in a church choir.  Singing apparently very effective at generating aerosols!  

https://www.livescie...er-singing.html

How a superspreader at choir practice sickened 52 people with COVID-19

The more I learn about the science of aerosol contagion, the more I start to think restaurants & bars might be totally off limits for me until effective treatment is found.  Quiet conversation in a restaurant may not be as risky, but the vocalization/aerosolization theory really appears to be sound.  Indoor environments, where masks come off to eat & drink, where everyone is talking are perhaps the greatest danger we may face for contracting this bug.  Almost certainly more risk than we might get passing an infected stranger breathing normally on the street, masked or unmasked.  

Edited by Dorian Grey, 17 June 2020 - 07:02 AM.

• Informative x 3
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • Agree x 2
  • like x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#1757 lancebr

• 440 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 07:13 AM

Honduran President tested positive for Covid.

He is taking the following for treatment:  microdacyn, azithromycin, ivermectin and zinc.

Looks like they decided to use Ivermectin instead of Hydrochloroquine.

https://www.reuters....s-idUSKBN23O0GY

Edited by lancebr, 17 June 2020 - 07:14 AM.

• Informative x 3

#1758 Gal220

• 1,048 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 05:47 PM

The more I learn about the science of aerosol contagion, the more I start to think restaurants & bars might be totally off limits for me until effective treatment is found. 

I am double minded about this, on hand I think everyone is going to eventually get it, even being real careful.  But I still wouldnt go out of my way to get it either.

Interesting protocol for the Honduran President, I know personally I would be doing much more if I was confirmed - multi(esp D and selenium), more natto, gluthiothione, quercetin, more C, garlic, curcumin, potassium...why mess around given some of the side effects people are experiencing after recovery?

Vitamin shoppe manager told me her sister showed signs and the hospital said come back if symptoms worsened, she was young and would get over it.  Took over a week, even worse, didnt recommend her to take anything.

#1759 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 07:28 PM

Targeting ACE2-RBD interaction as a platform for COVID19 therapeutics: Development and drug repurposing screen of an AlphaLISA proximity assay
Quinlin M Hanson, Kelli M Wilson, Min Shen, Zina Itkin, Rich T Eastman, Paul Shinn, Matthew D Hall
Abstract

The COVID-19 pandemic, caused by SARS-CoV-2, is a pressing public health emergency garnering rapid response from scientists across the globe. Host cell invasion is initiated through direct binding of the viral spike protein to the host receptor angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2). Disrupting the spike-ACE2 interaction is a potential therapeutic target for treating COVID-19. We have developed a proximity-based AlphaLISA assay to measure binding of SARS-CoV-2 spike protein Receptor Binding Domain (RBD) to ACE2. Utilizing this assay platform, a drug-repurposing screen against 3,384 small molecule drugs and pre-clinical compounds was performed, yielding 25 high-quality, small-molecule hits that can be evaluated in cell-based models. This established AlphaLISA RBD-ACE2 platform can facilitate evaluation of biologics or small molecules that can perturb this essential viral-host interaction to further the development of interventions to address the global health pandemic.

Corilagin is bio-available and found in pomegranate, pomegranate extracts.

Attached Files

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#1760 FSL

• 22 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 June 2020 - 04:44 PM

I'm surprised that it's taken this long to figure this out.  I would think a corticosteroid would have been tried very early on in a disease where cytokine storm is a major contributor to mortality.  

I had assumed that corticosteroids had been tried and found not to help.  It's such an obvious thing to try.

Corticosteroid was on the radar.  It was that there were conflicting results, and China really didn't do proper double-blind studies.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC7192075/

A study reviewed the clinical data of 112 cases in Wuhan Red Cross Hospital with the treatment of low dose methylprednisolone when mild and common cases became severe and critical, and found that the optimal window period for low dose methylprednisolone treatment of COVID-19 is within 48 h after switching from mild condition to severe or critical. The early administration of low dose methylprednisolone within the window period for these patients could significantly reduce the critical illness rate and mortality rate [65]. The expert consensus statement in China [66] recommends low-to-moderate corticosteroid (≤0.5−1 mg/kg per day methylprednisolone or equivalent) should be used carefully in critically ill patients with COVID-19, and the duration should be short (≤7 days).

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC7211915/

There is concern that the use of corticosteroids may have deleterious effects (i.e., inhibition of immune response and pathogen clearance) in patients with COVID-19 [83]. One study reported no effect on mortality and decreased viral clearance with the use of corticosteroids [24]. Furthermore, the Infectious Diseases Society of American recommends against the routine use of corticosteroids in COVID-19. However, they do recommend the use of corticosteroids in the setting of ARDS in the context of a clinical trial [90]. Similarly, the Surviving Sepsis Campaign recommends against corticosteroids in mechanically ventilated patients with acute lung injury in the absence of ARDS [91]. However, they provide a recommendation for the use of corticosteroids in patients with ARDS acknowledging the weak level of evidence. Dexamethasone has demonstrated utility on ARDS by decreasing ventilator days and mortality on severe ARDS in patients without COVID-19 [92]. Whether the use of corticosteroids provides similar benefit in patients with COVID-19 and ARDS remains to be seen. Ultimately, the clinical utilization of corticosteroids still needs to be established and should be considered on a case by case basis.

• Informative x 1

#1761 Gal220

• 1,048 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 11:56 AM

Someone finally addresses the insulin issue, Oxford - Link1, Link2.

"Diabetic Ketoacidosis: Report Says Most Hospitalized COVID-19 Patients Will Develop This Fatal Complication"

The medical condition diabetic ketoacidosis almost always requires special care in the hospital which usually takes place in the intensive care unit (ICU). It is caused by insufficient insulin circulating in the bloodstream, which is more likely to occur during a serious infection like COVID-19"

"They advocate, in select cases, for diabetic ketoacidosis protocols that use subcutaneous insulin therapy outside of the ICU instead of IV insulin therapy in the ICU to protect nurses from having to deliver frequent bedside care to COVID-infected patients"

Many people are undiagnosed as diabetic/prediabetic. Life extension has many articles warning about the hazards of high sugar, even if fasting sugar isnt high - Link1, Link2, Link3

"For instance, a patient with a 95 mg/dL fasting glucose reading may spend most of their day significantly above 150 mg/dL, as their aging body is unable to neutralize the impact of the excess calories they chronically ingest.

Without controlling fasting and postprandial sugar spikes, the stage is set for accelerated aging and a series of degenerative diseases"

"Last year, UCLA researchers reported that 46% of California adults are either prediabetic or have un diagnosed type II diabetes.2 The severity of this health crisis cannot be overstated.

"Type II diabetes is a risk factor for kidney disease. Around 10%-40% of type II diabetics will experience kidney failure.4 Research shows that before diabetes is diagnosed, higher-than-normal blood sugar levels damage kidneys.5"

Edited by Gal220, 19 June 2020 - 11:57 AM.

#1762 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 June 2020 - 04:53 AM

covid-19 goes back to october 2019.https://www.outlooki...19-study/353075

#1763 albedo

• 2,069 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 June 2020 - 05:30 AM

covid-19 goes back to october 2019.https://www.outlooki...19-study/353075

also: Virus already in Italy by December, sewers show

https://medicalxpres...y-december.html

• Good Point x 1

#1764 Gal220

• 1,048 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 07:55 PM

I had no idea internet censorship was getting this bad

Mercola recently reporting all their videos have been banned from Youtube - Link

"YouTube has now started banning our videos, a majority of which are interviews with health experts sharing their medical or scientific expertise and viewpoints on COVID-19"

My favorite conspiracy site, abovetopsecret.com , is basically getting shut down by google.  They are looking for buyers now if anyone is interested - Link , Link2

"Then, through 2015 we'd receive daily notices that URLs (entire threads really) were being delisted from the ad platform. For a time, just about all of them were threads critical of Hillary Clinton.

I don't think "ATS is targeted," but I do think the majority of the topics discussed here are indeed targeted."

"Those green lines represent known changes to Google's algorithm. The last one in early May has essentially de-platformed us from search."

Other websites are also feeling the heat - Link1, Link2

Basically throwing their weight around like Microsoft when they were the only game in town.  I would encourage everyone to promote a Defund Google campaign and support your favorite alt search engine like duckduckgo.com 

• Off-Topic x 2
  • Informative x 1

#1765 Gal220

• 1,048 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 03:57 AM

Gut bacteria missing in covid patients - Link1, Link2 

"Patients with COVID-19 had significant alterations in fecal microbiomes compared with controls, characterized by enrichment of opportunistic pathogens and depletion of beneficial commensals, at time of hospitalization and at all timepoints during hospitalization"

"The baseline abundance of CoprobacillusClostridium ramosum, and Clostridium hathewayi correlated with COVID-19 severity; there was an inverse correlation between abundance of Faecalibacterium prausnitzii (an anti-inflammatory bacterium) and disease severity. Over the course of hospitalization, Bacteroides doreiBacteroides thetaiotaomicronBacteroides massiliensis, and Bacteroides ovatus, which downregulate expression of ACE2 in murine gut, correlated inversely with SARS-CoV-2 load in fecal samples from patients."

This company claims to have it figured out as far as probiotics(marketing hype)  - Link

"So I just start eating more yogurt, right? Nope- yogurt actually does not have the right probiotic bacteria to promote weight loss, it contains mostly Lactobacillus. Remember you want the bacteroides family, which very little probiotics on the market currently have."

Anyone have any recommendations for probiotic , I just take the vitamin shoppe ultimate 10? - probiotic primer - Link 

Gargling maybe worth doing - Link

"another trial in England found that, among URTIs patients, nasal cavity irrigation and gargling with a saline hypertonic solution during the first two days of symptom onset was associated with a significantly lower viral load, a two-day reduction in length of illness, a 36% reduction in the use of medication and a 35% reduction in household transmission. https://www.jogh.org...h-10-010332.pdf"

"The Researchers said, “During the current pandemic, throat gargling habits with tap water or saline might be suggested for high-risk populations of quarantined people and medical staff. Furthermore, gargling might also benefit the population overall.”"

Edited by Gal220, 22 June 2020 - 04:11 AM.

• Informative x 3
  • Agree x 1

#1766 bladedmind

• 286 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:00 PM

Powdered beet root for COVID-19:

https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19/comments/hdyexe/covid19_accelerates_endothelial_dysfunction_and/

….SARS-CoV-2 is emerging as a thrombotic and vascular disease targeting endothelial cells throughout the body and is particularly evident in patients with cardiometabolic comorbidities, in particular hypertension, with associated endothelial dysfunction [3].

A hallmark of endothelial dysfunction and thrombotic events is suppressed endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) with concomitant nitric oxide deficiency. In healthy vessels, the endothelium releases the vasodilator and antithrombotic factor, nitric oxide. Whereas in injured vessels, nitric oxide is impaired contributing to hypertension and thrombus formation [4].

Restoring nitric oxide, independent of eNOS, may counter endotheliitis and contribute to pulmonary vasodilation, antithrombotic, and direct antiviral activity [5]. As to the later, nitric oxide reportedly interferes with the interaction between coronavirus viral S-protein and its cognate host receptor, ACE-2. Nitric oxide-mediated S-nitrosylation of viral cysteine proteases and host serine protease, TMPRSS2, which are both critical in viral cellular entry, appear to be nitric oxide sensitive [[6], [7], [8], [9], [10]].

Based on a report of improved lung function during the 2003 SARS outbreak, FDA’s emergency expanded use of nitric oxide gas is now underway for treating Covid-19 [1]. Alternatively, dietary inorganic nitrate has been shown in multiple studies to be effective at restoring endothelial function, reducing pulmonary and arterial hypertension, and promoting antimicrobial activity [5]. It is well understood that dietary inorganic nitrates is bio-converted to nitric oxide through a series of well-defined steps beginning with the friendly microflora on the tongue reducing nitrate to nitrite, which is subsequently reduced to nitric oxide in the gut, blood stream, and various organs, including the lung. The formation of inorganic nitrite and S-nitrosothiols is absorbed into the circulation where it acts as a transitory storage pool for subsequent nitric oxide production [11]. The conversion of inorganic nitrite to nitric oxide is expedited in conditions of acidosis or hypoxemia which occurs in regions of the pulmonary vasculature in lungs of COPD patients and those that exhibit acute respiratory distress syndrome as observed in coronavirus infected lungs. Reportedly, consumption of inorganic nitrate for 8 days in COPD population increased lung nitric oxide by 200% and reduced respiratory symptoms [[12], [13]].

#1767 bladedmind

• 286 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:09 PM

Olive leaf extract, licorice (caution), and UDCA (TUDCA easily available).

Hijacking SARS-Cov-2/ACE2 receptor interaction by natural and semi-synthetic steroidal agents acting on functional pockets on receptor binding region

The coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory tract infection caused by the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS)-CoV-2. In the light of the urgent need to identify novel approaches to be used in the emergency phase, a largely explored strategy has been the repurpose of clinically available drugs as new antivirals, by targeting different viral proteins. In this paper, we describe a drug repurposing strategy based on a virtual screening of druggable pockets located in the central -sheet core of the SARS-CoV-2 Spike protein RBD supported by in vitro tests identifying several steroidal derivatives as SARS-CoV-2 entry inhibitors. Our results demonstrate that several potential binding sites exist in the SARS CoV-2 S protein, and that the occupancy of these pockets reduces the ability of the S protein RBD to bind to the ACE2 consensus in vitro. In particular, natural occurring and clinically available steroids as glycyrrhetinic and oleanolic acids, as well as the bile acids derivatives glyco-UDCA and obeticholic acid have been shown to be effective in preventing virus entry in the case of low viral load. All together, these results might help to define novel approaches to reduce the viral load by using SARS-CoV-2 entry inhibitors.

#1768 bladedmind

• 286 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:22 PM

See lostfalco’s sub on longecity for discussion of ibudilast as a nootropic.  Available from Japan and at least one research chem site,  Yale is trialing it for COVID-19. 

https://news.yale.ed...vid-19-patients

Yale researchers will begin a clinical trial at Yale New Haven Hospital to test the effectiveness of a drug called ibudilast (MN-166) for treating acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), a life-threatening lung condition developed by some of the most seriously ill COVID-19 patients. The researchers are part of Yale’s Advanced Therapies Group, which was formed in response to the pandemic and is identifying and advancing possible treatments for the disease.

The drug — which has been approved for years in Japan and Korea for the treatment of asthma — has shown promising results for reducing inflammation associated with ARDS in mouse models…. The most severely ill COVID-19 patients develop ARDS, which causes hyper-inflammation and fluid buildup in the lungs and leads to a sharp drop in oxygen levels. ….Ibudilast is a type of drug known as a MIF inhibitor. MIF is a gene that regulates the immune response — a driver of inflammation and the so-called “cytokine storm.” Over-expression of the gene has been found to play a key role in a number of diseases, including ARDS, asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and multiple sclerosis.

#1769 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,071 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 06:03 PM

Gut bacteria missing in covid patients - Link1, Link2 

"Patients with COVID-19 had significant alterations in fecal microbiomes compared with controls, characterized by enrichment of opportunistic pathogens and depletion of beneficial commensals, at time of hospitalization and at all timepoints during hospitalization"

"The baseline abundance of CoprobacillusClostridium ramosum, and Clostridium hathewayi correlated with COVID-19 severity; there was an inverse correlation between abundance of Faecalibacterium prausnitzii (an anti-inflammatory bacterium) and disease severity. Over the course of hospitalization, Bacteroides doreiBacteroides thetaiotaomicronBacteroides massiliensis, and Bacteroides ovatus, which downregulate expression of ACE2 in murine gut, correlated inversely with SARS-CoV-2 load in fecal samples from patients."

This company claims to have it figured out as far as probiotics(marketing hype)  - Link

"So I just start eating more yogurt, right? Nope- yogurt actually does not have the right probiotic bacteria to promote weight loss, it contains mostly Lactobacillus. Remember you want the bacteroides family, which very little probiotics on the market currently have."

Anyone have any recommendations for probiotic , I just take the vitamin shoppe ultimate 10? - probiotic primer - Link 

Gargling maybe worth doing - Link

"another trial in England found that, among URTIs patients, nasal cavity irrigation and gargling with a saline hypertonic solution during the first two days of symptom onset was associated with a significantly lower viral load, a two-day reduction in length of illness, a 36% reduction in the use of medication and a 35% reduction in household transmission. https://www.jogh.org...h-10-010332.pdf"

"The Researchers said, “During the current pandemic, throat gargling habits with tap water or saline might be suggested for high-risk populations of quarantined people and medical staff. Furthermore, gargling might also benefit the population overall.”"

Poor gut bacteria is a sign of a poor diet and poor health overall, IMO.

Ever since the beginning, this has not been a disease that healthy people fall victim to (the regular seasonal flu is much more deadly for most age groups). As I discussed months ago, and is still very relevant today, the present-day sick-care system does a great job keeping very ill people alive (elderly, obese, sedentary, etc...). Our sick-care system has not progressed far enough into "health care" and rejuvenation to prevent a coronavirus variant from causing havoc in the large population of ill people.

And just to keep it on-topic, it is no surprise to me, as is evidenced by this long discussion thread, that essential nutrients are helpful in fighting COVID. In fact, it is a near crime that so many "health professionals" (not doctors) are steadfast against supplementation to help people get through a COVID infection. The people who suffer the most are those who have the worst diets, don't exercise, don't get any sun, etc... It is common sense to prescribe essential nutrients, exercise, etc... as a first defense against COVID.

Edited by Mind, 23 June 2020 - 06:10 PM.

#1770 bladedmind

• 286 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 June 2020 - 06:11 PM

Thymosin alpha one - availalble from research chem sites. 

Thymosin alpha 1 (T1) reduces the mortality of severe COVID-19 by restoration of lymphocytopenia and reversion of exhausted T cells

Background. We previously reported that lymphocytopenia and T cell exhaustion is notable in acute COVID19 patients, especially in aged and severe cases. Thymosin alpha 1 (Tα1) had been used in the treatment of viral infections as an immune response modifier for many years. However, clinical benefits and mechanism of Tα1 supplement to COVID-19 are still unclear.

Methods. We retrospectively reviewed the clinical outcomes of 76 severe cases with COVID19 admitted into two hospitals in Wuhan from December 2019 to March 2020. The thymus output in peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) from COVID-19 patients was measured by T cell receptor excision circles (TREC). The levels of T cell exhaustion markers PD-1 and Tim-3 on CD8+ T cells were detected by flow cytometry.

Results. Compared with untreated group, Tα1 treatment significantly reduces mortality of severe COVID-19 patients (11.11% vs. 30.00%, p=0.044). Tα1 timely enhances blood T cell numbers in COVID-19 patients with severe lymphocytopenia (the counts of CD8+ T cells or CD4+ T cells in circulation lower than 400/μL or 650/μL, respectively). Under such conditions, Tα1 also successfully restores CD8+ and CD4+ T cell numbers in aged patients. Meanwhile, Tα1 reduces PD1 and Tim-3 expression on CD8+ T cells from severe COVID-19 patients in comparison with untreated cases. It is of note that restoration of lymphocytopenia and acute exhaustion of T cells are roughly parallel to the rise of TRECs.

Conclusions. Tα1 supplement significantly reduce mortality of severe COVID-19 patients. COVID-19 patients with the counts of CD8+ T cells or CD4+ T cells in circulation lower than 400/μL or 650/μL, respectively, gain more benefits from Tα1. Tα1 reverses T cell exhaustion and recovers immune reconstitution through promoting thymus output during SARS-CoV-2 infection.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coronavirus, flu, disease epidemics, viruses, immunity, covid-19

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users