- - - - -

A Lithium Quandary

lithium

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 adastra

• 26 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:05 PM

A recent hair combustion chromatography test returned my levels for lithium; they fall within the bottom percent of the population. *gulp*  I then got a lab blood test done that returned < 0.3 mmol ./ L, whereas the lab reference range is 0.6 - 1.2.

My thyroid hormones are fine, so this is puzzling. I do have a very restrictive Paleo-ish diet, so maybe that is the cause...

In any case, could supplementing be a good idea? I have read mixed safety reports on lithium orotate, and lithium carbonate is a prescription drug in the US. i also read about how lithium can affect the thyroid, which can then cause cholesterol to increase (mine seems naturally moderately high as it is). 

Any general thoughts or recommendations? Many thanks!

#2 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:00 PM

I haven't see much in the way of negative outcomes of supplementing with lithium orotate provided you're doing a reasonable dose (say 5mg/day elemental lithium).  That is a lithium intake more or less equivalent to what you might receive if you live in an area with decent levels of lithium in the soil and water.

A lot of the studies that are pointed to that show toxic effects are typically at the sort of dose levels you might see for treating a manic depressive, which are much higher.  

5mg every day or every other day seems safe and seems to offer some benefits to the brain.  People that live in areas where they are getting similar lithium intakes naturally have less depression and anxiety.  

Lithium intake levels are very much a hit or miss thing, generally depending on the lithium content of the water and soil in your local environment.  For many places on the planet that is just about nil and we do know that those people have more mental health issues.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 adastra

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:17 PM

Thanks for the reply! So, I just started the lithium orotate, a conservative 2.5 mg per day. I might even knock it down further if I build up a reservoir over the months. For anyone looking to delve deeper into the mystery of lithium, this could be a good read: 

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/11838882

If you have trouble locating the full text, just PM me. Cheers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lithium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users