• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

memespace and public perception

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

Poll: Which label do you prefer for our movement/philosophy? (50 member(s) have cast votes)

Which label do you prefer for our movement/philosophy?

1. Immortalism (18 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

2. Extensionism (15 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

3. Other (15 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:10 PM

One small point: someone questioned why Kurzweil is not a member. True, he is not a member, however he did contribute an essay to the book and he did plug the conference in his daily email newsletter. Not bad!

#122 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:17 PM

The bottom line is we dont have money.

Real quick (about to head to karate)...

The fact that there is so little money is a symptom of everything being discussed here, and especially the three questions I posed earlier. First, "immortality" will, for the foreseeable future, spook people away from even considering this group as meaningful entity. Second, there's nothing that we have to offer, other than discussion forums, which, for most people, can get old within months. How many people never reach 50 posts? My guess is 99% of those who sign up here. In other words, there's nothing sticky about this site, unless you are really into this topic, which makes you an elite early adopter of longevity tech and info.

The thing that we need is press respect, but that will ONLY happen when we appear legitimate (non-kooky), and have something valuable to offer.

Gotta run...

#123 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:44 PM

what is the mission - what is the business model to support the mission.

Is there a pragmatic visionary among you who can create the armature of an easy to understand but very useful gambit/initiative around which others can align enthusiastically...and which efficiently supports the mission.

I've got to do my homework and stay away from the computer...I have a final exam next week...

There is nothing wrong with the current mission.

When you say there is no money, I might differ. I started a company with like $300 bucks; which became about 7k in a couple of months with no advertising. Now it's worth over 10k (it would be more, but my last co-worker decided to take $1,300 in inventory without asking; he's no longer going to be working with us). I could ice this company in no time and invest what I have on hand into the company with the expectation that I'll get it back at a later date with some interest. I don't need the cash to pay the bills, nor do I depend on the business I run for any other cause than to offset my current spending on supplement products and hope for fueling future research into nootropic and anti aging therapies.

Making the first on-line magazine would not cost very much at all. The first authors could possibly exchange their time for cash at a later date -- or in a future pledge to their cause. We could try to use grassroots folk from around here, like I mentioned above. Like if Aubrey could write a short piece and it could be published here in an online format, we would have to offer him incentive...like how much of a pledge to Mprize research or a direct cash payment would you like, Aubrey? I know Michael Cooper from Mprize as well, and I could ask him to write a piece about the work he does. Basically the theme of the first magazine could be the current state of anti aging research, and its forthcoming developments. Pete from Relentless could write a short piece about the dynamics of trading in the nootropic market, and it's current state, and possible future plans for nootropic mixtures. Maybe Bruce or Ben from Novamente could discuss devlopments in Novamente...These are just ideas off the top of my head.

There are enough skills from around this community to do it where it wouldn't cost anything but our time; which has only has an opportunity cost of the individual doing the work.

No one will make a killing cash-wise -- there may be some salaries in the future when there is a real revenue stream. But that is a year or so off. I'm telling you: the first on line magazine published here will KICK ASS and everyone interested on the web will come to discuss the issues.

I would be more detailed, but need to due my homework.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#124 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:56 PM

How many people never reach 50 posts? My guess is 99% of those who sign up here.

About 93% actually, but point taken.

#125 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:13 PM

When you say there is no money, I might differ. I started a company with like $300 bucks; which became about 7k in a couple of months with no advertising. Now it's worth over 10k (it would be more, but my last co-worker decided to take $1,300 in inventory without asking; he's no longer going to be working with us). I could ice this company in no time and invest what I have on hand into the company with the expectation that I'll get it back at a later date with some interest. I don't need the cash to pay the bills, nor do I depend on the business I run for any other cause than to offset my current spending on supplement products and hope for fueling future research into nootropic and anti aging therapies.

I completely agree with you here. I wish I had more time to devote to money making projects (blasted medschool/lysosens project! :)) ). I started two businesses of my own with zero startup cost. Money is not the issue. We can generate revenue. We just need to start doing it. I think we are moving in this direction

#126 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:24 AM

I hope I am not saying anything that sounds totally crazy or off the wall...Let's start with T-shirts, something simple that is:

a) An easy model to implement (it's cheap and not difficult to set up)
b) A walking advertisement for the cause (people see the site's name on your shirt, they go to their computer to check it out).
c) Profitable (I'd buy one!)

The current ImmInst leadership could set this up. I understand Mind is the treasurer, and he has been for quite a while. So a proposal could be run through him, right?

You could use the current logo, emboss it on a T shirt...any ideas for designs? Perhaps a mouse crawling up the side of an infinity symbol? [thumb]

• Lurker

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:00 AM

Let's cut to the chase: the institute needs to appoint an organization head.

The question is, should this be a member of the Director group, Leadership group, member group, or should we seek an external appointment?

#128 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:10 AM

Theodore Sturgeon spoke of bleshing -- Gestalt's awareness, a combination of blending and meshing. I think it might be better to blesh out ideas out right here for now. Especially at first when money might be changing hands and mixed motives might be suspect.

#129 rjws

• 143 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:09 AM

I completely agree with you here.  I wish I had more time to devote to money making projects (blasted medschool/lysosens project! :)) ).  I started two businesses of my own with zero startup cost.  Money is not the issue.  We can generate revenue.  We just need to start doing it.  I think we are moving in this direction

Perhaps we need a thread in the Full member forums. On what kind of revenue we can generate, What ideas have there been?

perhaps the answer is a more centralized Leadership with a revenue generating offshoot under the control of imminst with a diff Incorporation.

Time is all we have to donate to the cause and usually not very much. The first project Ive ever helped on was the Lesurvey site and man that was a blast have to thank mrfesta for starting that.

#130 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:08 PM

I hope I am not saying anything that sounds totally crazy or off the wall...Let's start with T-shirts, something simple that is:

a)  An easy model to implement (it's cheap and not difficult to set up)
b)  A walking advertisement for the cause (people see the site's name on your shirt, they go to their computer to check it out).
c)  Profitable (I'd buy one!)

The current ImmInst leadership could set this up.  I understand Mind is the treasurer, and he has been for quite a while.  So a proposal could be run through him, right?

You could use the current logo, emboss it on a T shirt...any ideas for designs?  Perhaps a mouse crawling up the side of an infinity symbol?  [thumb]

There are already t-shirts for sale as well as some other stuff. Although, there has been talk of redesigns.

#131 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:24 PM

Prometheus is right (in the mythological sense too ;-)

#132 brizzadizza

• 51 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:32 PM

If the Immortality Institute is considering making money on something other than member dues, they'll need a business model. My first business suffered for the lack of one. We were a screenprinter/clothing line. We had a lot of fun, but none of us could agree on how we wanted to work, our morality regarding manufacturers and a whole host of other problems that could've been solved if we had taken the time to work out our specific goals and our intent with the company.

I think Adam has a good idea with a web magazine, they're cheap to make if you already have the expertise required, and it seems that Jaydfox is more than capable in that regard, and the material shouldn't be too difficult to write with the number of capable writers you have on the forum.

Also, what is our demographic? I've been talking with older folk lately for my business (65 +) and you can really speak frankly about life extension with an old person. If ImmInst were to develop a weekly newsletter and send it at primarily older people it could develop a much more financially established membership. I hate to use Dr. Mercola as an example, but that guy gets an amazingly large audience that he can peddle whatever new snake oil he happens to be offloading. Imminst could differentiate itself by appealing to the reason and intelligence of older people and offering scientifically founded solutions to enhance the quality and length of life.

Regarding our place in memespace, is it possible to give credibility to the term "Immortality" as it is used colloiqually? If so, ImmInst is very well situated as it owns the term on googlespace. Thats all for now.

Brandon

#133 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:39 PM

if you already have the expertise required, and it seems that Jaydfox is more than capable in that regard

me = [8)]

#134 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:52 PM

Every coffin needs a final nail...

Mission Statement Generator

#135 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:32 PM

The question is, should this be a member of the Director group, Leadership group, member group, or should we seek an external appointment?

I partly agree with you. I would agree completely in case this new organization head is an expert on communication (and marketing). Just another manager type like person will not cut the cake ... euh chase.

#136 DJS

• Topic Starter
  • 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:36 PM

I'm thinking that there should be a leader who heads up a business affairs department, along with another leader who heads up PR. Both should be provided with a budget.

As long as we could find individuals who have the necessary skills, I would say keep it internal. The roles would have to be created and then the individuals appointed, of course.

#137 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:38 PM

That current clothing design is pretty cheesy, I would not buy (nor wear) one of those shirts. The on line magazine is an idea that will take only a month or two to publish.

My proposition is to make a new design and have the Institute pay for a shirt run (like 100 shirts to start) to promote interest in Mprize and ImmInst. The cost would be very little, and a minimum 100% profit margin would be in order. Then the profits would go to Mprize (or in the future, any other organization the Institute wishes to support). That way the Institute could fulfill its mission. The Institute could pay for a designer to make something really cool. I know two EXCELLENT artists who could make a great design for a t shirt. You would need to pay them, however. The more cash, the better the design. Hiring talent carries a cost. You can't expect everyone to just volunteer their time and expertise for free. Anyone here interested in making an elaborate T-shirt design that integrates the Mprize and ImmInst for free? I know an artist who could make several propositions for a design and the membership could vote on their favorite (the minimum the artist I know would accept is $100 -- and she could make four or five different designs). That way, once the final design is submitted and the shirts are finished, public interest would peak and sales of the shirts would be maximized. You could hypothetically model exactly how many shirts would be sold and sell them before they even go into production.

Providing elected officials with budgets (that are not their own accepted salaries) might create less incentive than just allowing individuals to submit propositions which could then be voted upon.

The goal of this organization is to promote anti aging (and nootropic I hope) research, right? If the Institute is sitting on capital that could be securely invested to generate more capital, that's a total waste; and might frustrate individuals from joining (or make them more motivated to cancel) if they see no results from this organization. Why pay membership fees if they don't do anything? There are many secure models from which capital can easily generate more capital.

And don't forget: ImmInst currently also owns the nootropic meme on the Internet. Try running a search for "nootropic" and you'll see this is the most interesting hit on the first page of search results. Take a look at what bodybuilding.com has done with its search results to generate capital for their for profit venture. We have a greater cause here, so we should get on it ASAP.

ImmInst could leverage it's position by asking for more money from the nootropic and supplement forum sponsor or even add another banner to compete with the current sponsor and make this organization a subsidiary corporation. Or it could hire the talent of the current sponsor to manufacture the nootropics for the Institute's subsidiary (implementing vigorous quality control, setting up bottle runs, etc.); thereby it could still work with the current sponsor and be able to reap much more financial benefits. The sponsor of the forums could give away free T shirts with large orders (say, over $100), and when people wear them, it will promote more interest in the cause; and thereby fuel the mission. The T shirts could be dual sided, colorful, and fashionable and would clearly display the URL of this and the Mprize site. A walking advertisement.

The bottom line is the sense of urgency to accomplish the goal of this organization is nil. What kind of action can ImmInst take to accomplish its mission as soon as possible?

Membership will grow exponentially once the Institute actually achieves significant goals that are in line with the mission. At this point, Dukenukem is right, we're mostly just the Internet equivalent of talk -- chat. The Institute's film is the Institute's greatest accomplishment; and if we did it right, the sequel will be a documentary to hit the Independent film circuit ala Michael Moore. We could generate a lot of controversy by saying we want to live forever...

Edited by nootropikamil, 08 June 2006 - 08:21 PM.

#138 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:05 PM

That current clothing design is pretty cheesy, I would not buy (nor wear) one of those shirts.  The on line magazine is an idea that will take only a month or two to publish. 

My proposition is to make a new design and have the Institute pay for a shirt run (like 100 shirts to start) to promote interest in Mprize and ImmInst.  The cost would be very little, and a minimum 100% profit margin would be in order.  Then the profits would go to Mprize (or in the future, any other organization the Institute wishes to support).  That way the Institute could fulfill its mission.  The Institute could pay for a designer to make something really cool.  I know two EXCELLENT artists who could make a great design for a t shirt.  You would need to pay them, however.  The more cash, the better the design.  Hiring talent carries a cost.  You can't expect everyone to just volunteer their time and expertise for free.  Anyone here interested in making an elaborate T-shirt design that integrates the Mprize and ImmInst for free? 

Providing elected officials with budgets (that are not their own accepted salaries) might create less incentive than just allowing individuals to submit propositions which could then be voted upon. 

The goal of this organization is to promote anti aging (and nootropic I hope) research, right?  If the Institute is sitting on capital that could be securely invested to generate more capital, that's a total waste; and might frustrate individuals from joining (or make them more motivated to cancel) if they see no results from this organization.  Why pay membership fees if they don't do anything?  There are many secure models from which capital can easily generate more capital.

And don't forget: ImmInst currently also owns the nootropic meme on the Internet.  Try running a search for "nootropic" and you'll see this is the most interesting hit on the first page of search results.

ImmInst could leverage it's position by asking for more money from the nootropic and supplement forum sponsor or even add another banner to compete with the current sponsor and make this organization a subsidiary corporation.  Or it could hire the talent of the current sponsor to make the nootropics for the Institute's subsidiary (implementing vigorous quality control, setting up bottle runs, etc.); thereby it could still work with the current sponsor and be able to reap much more financial benefits.  The sponsor of the forums could give away free T shirts with large orders (say, over $100), and when people wear them, it will promote more interest in the cause; and thereby fuel the mission.

The bottom line is the sense of urgency to accomplish the goal of this organization is nil.  What kind of action can ImmInst take to accomplish its mission as soon as possible?

Membership will grow exponentially once the Institute actually achieves goals that are in line with the mission.  At this point, we're mostly the Internet equivalent of talk -- chat.

First off, I agree totally on the shirts, they are cheesy.

Second, the budget, expenditures for the month, etc. is all provided by Mind every month in this thread.

Third, I don't know if nootropics are currently a top priority or not. (anyone else care to comment?) Most of the problems (the LM deal sticks in most people's minds, but not the only one) seem (imo) to originate from the nootropic area, and although I personally am in favor of keeping them because I feel lots of people find our site because of that area, and then migrate into the areas of more intellectual discussion, I know of some people that do not feel the same way as I.

Fourth, I think there is a sense of urgency among several people, the thread that spawned this one was all about increasing forum traffic and outreach, plus there have been several outreach projects I personally have been involved with. I don't know if everyone has the same ideas of making money and such that you, but I personally would love to see something like this get off the ground with the magazine, and selling other things, but I don't in any way think that should be the main focus.

Fifth, I don't know if your last sentence is entirely correct. ImmInst has put out books (getting ready to put out another), a film, had a great conference, etc. so I think that it goes beyond talk, but I agree with you in broad general terms. When the software gets the update that Jay is excited about, then there will be blogs, so it will be a bit more (I would think) like Betterhumans in that regard.

Edit: 1. Ok, I just realized that you (nootropikamil) aren't a full member, so you probably won't be able to see the links. 2. It looks like you added to your post, so when I say "last sentence", I meant the last quoted sentence. [thumb]

#139 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:12 PM

I can't see the topics you linked to so that doesn't help me. It appears there's some political barriers attached to fear of my erratic behavior re-occurring that keep me from being a full member.

I don't want to market nootropics right now because of the soap opera involved. That could change in time. However, that is irrelevant to the fact that ImmInst owns the nootropic meme and the Institute could benefit (it already does, to some extent; but could it benefit more; and help achive the goal faster?).

You seem to mix up my priorities. Making money is not the goal. Supporting research is, and that takes money. Ironically, the Institute charges for full membership, yet offers little to members in exchange. People feel good about contributing to something bigger than they are -- and being able to see how their contribution made a difference.

The accomplishments of this organization have little mainstream appeal; and if you want it to grow, the current accomplishments won't attract much more interest. We need a more dramatic approach.

I'd love to sit at the computer all day and type my ideas, but I have to go to school now.

Peace.

Edited by nootropikamil, 08 June 2006 - 08:40 PM.

#140 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:28 PM

I can't see the topics you linked to so that doesn't help me. 

Yeah, sorry. I saw that afterwards and edited the post, but I guess I didn't do it in time. I didn't realize you weren't a full member, but you really didn't have to follow the links to get the point of what I was trying to say

I don't want to market nootropics right now because of the soap opera involved.  That could change in time.  However, that is irrelevant to the fact that ImmInst owns the nootropic meme and the Institute could benefit (it already does, to some extent; but could it benefit more; and help achive the goal faster?).

Yes, I understood what you were saying, and no I don't ever think we should market nootropics. That wasn't what I was trying to say, I was talking about keeping that as a part of ImmInst in general. (part of the forums, something we focus on, etc.) Re-read if you misunderstand, but again, I am in favor of keeping them as part of us, but I was simply saying I know those sentiments are not universal to all ImmInst members.

You seem to mix up my priorities.  Making money is not the goal.  Supporting research is, and that takes money.  Ironically, the Institute charges for full membership, yet offers little to members in exchange.  People feel good about contributing to something bigger than they are -- and being able to see how their contribution made a difference.

The accomplishments of this organization have little mainstream appeal; and if you want it to grow, the current accomplishments won't attract much more interest.  We need a more dramatic approach.

No, I totally understand what you were saying. I think you mix up what I was trying to say. As I said, I agree with making money, (to fund research, make more films and books, lobby congress, etc.) but I don't think that the pursuit of money should take focus off of our goals. In other words, I am with you on this one! (well, actually I think I am with you on all of them, I think you just misunderstood a bit) All I was saying is I think we should procede carefully, cause I know how easy stuff can get mucked up when money is involved. There have been some good discussions in the full member area on the subject of marketing, making money, etc. that I have seen, so these types of things have been discussed before.
:)

#141 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:38 PM

Yeah, my Mom has worked with (and still does) several non profit organizations; set up concerts, fundraisers, stuff like that. Making money for a non profit is pretty cut and dry (the money goes to the cause); so I think you might be too timid to the idea. How do you think other non profits support their cause?

I edit my posts several times because I am a freak for grammar and syntax.

#142 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:58 PM

I can't see the topics you linked to so that doesn't help me. It appears there's some political barriers attached to fear of my erratic behavior re-occurring that keep me from being a full member.

All in good time colonel pepper [wis]. Only a few more months.

I like Dukenukem's posts. There is a lot of good business and leadership advice being dispensed within them. However, I disagree about the name being a hinderance. I come to this conclusion because I am more familiar with the history of Imminst. I would say the name was a hinderance if any sort of mass marketing campaign had ever been tried and failed. Thus far no such marketing campaign has been tried. During the first couple months after Imminst was formed as a non-profit we ran a google ad. Since then, nothing. The closest thing we had to a mass marketing campaign was mrfesta's myspace group (over 10,000 members). The book and film have had very limited advertising/marketing....yet they were both a financial success.

Consider this:
Even without any organized outreach efforts or mass media advertising Imminst's members include:
Several tenured professors
Many graduate level researchers
At least one TV personality
Many successful business people
A handful of millionaires
One who is a multimillionaire (maybe over 100 million)
A couple accredited medical professionals

Also, quite a wide range of notables contributed to the conference, book, and film (including a member of the President's council on bioethics).

This is a whole hell of a lot of accomplishment for the kind-of haphazard disorganized way things proceed around here. In fact, it is pretty damn amazing! (a ton of credit to Bruce of course, and to Caliban for the book)

Imminst may have the perception of being kooks in some segments of society, but within, I look around and do not see many kooks. They are very few and far between. In fact, rather than being fly-paper for kooks, Imminst seems to be a repellent (thank you navigators!).

I think there is a small but significant segment of society that is very receptive to the philosophy of immortality. With the right campaign, and "sticky" value, we should be able to greatly increase membership. Also, remember that here in the U.S. religiousity is greater than in other parts of the world. The barriers to recruitment are probably not as high in Europe. Even here in the U.S. not even 50% of the population attends church on a regular basis. There are a lot of open minds out there. I don't think we are living in the dark ages, but instead in a new renaissance. Change happens fast in today's world, and Imminst, with the right direction, is poised to take advantage of it.

The glass is half full. Time to swing for the fence.

#143 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:18 AM

Consider this:
Even without any organized outreach efforts or mass media advertising Imminst's members include:

Also, quite a wide range of notables contributed to the conference, book, and film (including a member of the President's council on bioethics).

This is a whole hell of a lot of accomplishment for the kind-of haphazard disorganized way things proceed around here. In fact, it is pretty damn amazing! (a ton of credit to Bruce of course, and to Caliban for the book)

Imminst may have the perception of being kooks in some segments of society, but within, I look around and do not see many kooks. They are very few and far between. In fact, rather than being fly-paper for kooks, Imminst seems to be a repellent (thank you navigators!).

Nicely said Mind. [thumb]

#144 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:25 AM

If I told a random person on the street in conversation that I was dedicated to living forever, I could quite possibly become an object of ridicule very easily. If I told a few people at the gym that I was actively involved in ensuring I lived a longer, healthier life, they would praise me for my straight priorities, discipline and foresight. The vast majority of people see aspiration toward immortality as arrogant, which is a major stumbling block in promoting our cause.

I wouldn't go out and wave the flag in my local town for immortalism, purely because I'd become a laughing stock of the community. Living a healthier, longer life however, is something I could promote and encourage without fear of ridicule, however narrow minded such ridicule would be.

#145 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:29 AM

Bottom-line, as with any organization, is that direction must come from leadership.  Leaders must not only know how to lead, but where to lead.  And the best leaders DO NOT listen to their troops, then make a consensus opinion.  Anyone think Patton asked his soldiers for command-level ideas?

ImmInst seems to have been started as a simple concept with high-minded ideas, but without a well-defined, doable mission...something that would rally the troops, so to speak.  It's more like a club.  ImmInst has no leadership position of value--nothing that would cause the press or public to stand up and take notice.

The fact that there are so few full members, in fact, suggests to me that even those who are motivated by the idea of open-ended lifespans see little value to this group, other than a local place for like-minded people to communicate, and share knowledge.  But, that alone is nothing more than a Yahoo chat group.

For ImmInst to matter to the larger world, it needs to set an agenda.  It needs to point to where were going, suggest how we'll get there, and help coin the key words we'll all be using when we arrive.

For ImmInst to rise above chat group status, someone must lead.  Otherwise, let's keep talking about supplements, nanotech, immortality, and whether there's a god or not, while the rest of the world giggles and goes about its business.

Colonel Pepper aka Trey's account I never bothered to cancel because I'd have to dig through PayPal to find the cancel link. It's not as easy to cancel PayPal accounts as it sounds; and $5 isn't that much to me. I'll cancel it later to make my point. Trey was supposed to post some stuff to promote my business several months ago, but he never did; so I used that account to read of child murder threats and other BS up in the leadership forum way back when. I haven't logged in using his account since I had to read of your LM mess.

I would differ that your strategy will succeed, Mind. The mission of this Institute should be achieved as soon as possible; not at the earliest convenience, as it seems to be treated now. It's been that way for a long time, and some of us like to see real progress rather than talk.

I hold with Dukenukem. This Institute will stay chat group status until you decide to act like its mission is a real priority. The world will go on with its business; and we'll see what happens. Until later. :)

Peace out.

Edited by nootropikamil, 09 June 2006 - 12:51 AM.

#146 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:39 AM

I'm thinking that there should be a leader who heads up a business affairs department, along with another leader who heads up PR. Both should be provided with a budget.

As long as we could find individuals who have the necessary skills, I would say keep it internal. The roles would have to be created and then the individuals appointed, of course.

As I've mentioned in the leadership area I'm very much in favor of creating a few departments that have a buget who have the authority to act in their area without a vote.

#147 rjws

• 143 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 02:10 AM

"I'm very much in favor of creating a few departments that have a buget who have the authority to act in their area without a vote. "

Oh yea go all Priory Of Scion lol. Im in....

#148 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 02:30 AM

I was not trying to be an ass (to Mind) on the post above (it kinda sounds like that though). Especially by bringing up LM; who I think is ultimately interested in the mission here being fulfilled...but...I obviously am not happy about having a child murder plot right next to my name and indexed by google though...it's not that big of a deal now that it's over and I think the community wants to focus on productive causes.

I just think ImmInst could do more...like an online magazine. To support real life extension science, we need to support Mprize -- now. I'm all for it. I am thinking of the best ways to bring the field into the limelight. Everyone wants to live longer and healhier, and I know everyone in the leadership is fighting for that too; with limited resources.

All I am saying is perhaps the Institute could use its limited resources to generate more capital for Mprize (the only *real* life extension science going on); which seems to be the most viable way to draw more interest into the community and help the Institute accomplish its mission. Everyone seems to be spending all of their money on psuedoscience -- supplements -- so the best way to offset that would be to donate to Mprize; I also respect Relentless Pete for his enthusiasm and support for Mprize as well.

I have some capital to donate to the cause; and a lot of energy. I am a business owner, so I can't really function in the politics here. But I am doing what I can. I will pay for a T shirt run with my own capital and donate the profits to Mprize; and give away free T shirts with all orders over $100. I'm on it. I'll keep everyone updated. I know a great artist; I'll contact her after my finals week.

Peace out.

Respectfully,

Adam :)

Edited by nootropikamil, 09 June 2006 - 02:40 AM.

• Lurker

Posted 09 June 2006 - 03:41 AM

Dukenukem (Scott Miller) is the CEO of 3D realms. Methuselahmouse (David Gobel) is co-founder of the Mprize.
Both have relatively extensive corporate governance experience. Their comments on management should be weighed accordingly.

Who are the Prof's?

Both Bruce and Caliban have taken a step back. Aside from Jay and his forum migration work there are no active projects being worked on. It would be unwise to ignore this call to action.

I think there is a small but significant segment of society that is very receptive to the philosophy of immortality.

Agreed, yet it does not make me feel any more comfortable to disclose my relationship with Imminst to my professional and social network. Were this organization to adopt a more conservative fascia, I would probably be able to make a modest contribution to the membership base by word of mouth alone. The impediment that the "kook' factor creates cannot be overstated.

#150 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:09 AM

(Prometheus)
Aside from Jay and his forum migration work there are no active projects being worked on. It would be unwise to ignore this call to action.

The second book is currently in the works and here is the call for abstracts and articles.

Imminst Second Book

There is no problem with also taking a moment to fine tune how this institute operates and better define its mission and methods.

Lately we have fielded a number of of distracting procedural and behavioral problems. Also we are spending great effort to better structure our organizational rules, which you happen to be an important contributing participant in. We have brought in new leaders and need to bring everyone up to speed, frankly I think that the glass is more than half full but I would like to get it full to the brim.

There are lot of good ideas, there are even some reasonable ones. There is money in the bank and that is a long way from when we started. We must walk before we run. We are past building the foundation and are now putting up walls but we still haven't reached the potential height of this structure and going up too fast is a common way to destabilize the entire structure.

Most of us have also not met in person. Many of us are in various parts of the world at any given moment. Coordinating online efforts is not as easy as it is when the whole team can meet in person routinely. It is not impossible by any means but there are extra hurdles to overcome and these shouldn't be underestimated.

Personally I also am uncomfortable with the use of the word immortality and a review of the debates from the time of deciding on a name will show I was on the other side of this issue but I do think it *provokes* and engages the central issue of life extension.

You can't get there from here without also achieving longevity.

I would prefer if we could work this to our favor though it does garner the right attention along with the wrong. I think that we can recognize the extreme and demonstrate a rational, objective, and informed middle ground.

When I navigate a boat or have flown a plane at night I can navigate by a star. I know the star is unreachable but its fixed location in respect to all the multitude of variables on the horizon make it more valuable as a marker to follow.

The ideal of *immortality* is like that for me. It is not a practical idea; it is a definable extreme and as long as the focus remains true to the objective my actual course is steady and many definable waypoints will be achieved and the obstacles anticipated and overcome by this more direct route.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users