- - - - -

Carcinine elongates telomeres?

carcinine telomeres carnosine

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:32 AM

It appears to be a beta-alanine derivative with carnosine-like effects in terms of most of carnosine's anti-aging effects, apparently it seems it might also elongate telomeres

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/24910283

#2 QuestforLife

• NO

Posted 02 March 2020 - 03:53 PM

Carcinine is a more bio-available form of carnosine? Could be very useful. I haven't seen any evidence it can elongate telomeres, I thought that like carnosine it just reduces shortening. But admittedly I couldn't access the full paper you posted so I could be wrong. 

#3 Believer

• Topic Starter
  • 437 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 01:38 PM

Carcinine is a more bio-available form of carnosine? Could be very useful. I haven't seen any evidence it can elongate telomeres, I thought that like carnosine it just reduces shortening.

That's true, it just reduces shortening like cycloastragenol and so on. But on Wikipedia it says that it elongates telomeres in skin tissue... I think they mean it reduces shortening.

In my title I mean the same thing, not that it increases telomeres past shortening but reduces shortening.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 QuestforLife

• NO

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:08 PM

That's true, it just reduces shortening like cycloastragenol and so on. But on Wikipedia it says that it elongates telomeres in skin tissue... I think they mean it reduces shortening.

In my title I mean the same thing, not that it increases telomeres past shortening but reduces shortening.

Cycloastragenol is said to actually increases telomerase. It does not do this sufficiently to counter shortening in proliferating cells for sure, but it does activate it. I don't think carnosine/carcinine activates telomerase. I believe they protect telomeres via other means, i.e. lower oxidative stress, protection from AGEs, etc. So in that way I would distinguish substances that reduce (or eliminate or even reverse) telomere shortening via telomerase, and those that reduce shortening via other mechanisms. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: carcinine, telomeres, carnosine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users