Shepard's Antiaging-Augmentation Regimen

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#31 Shepard

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:32 PM

I use Jarrow's Pomegrenate concentrate, and either Brownwood Acres of Tree or Life for the other two.

http://www.papanatur...s&pid=JRW-20028
http://www.brownwoodacres.com/
http://www.treeoflife.com/

#32 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:26 AM

Thanks BTW. Just ordered some cherry caps from Brown wood acres.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#33 Shepard

• Topic Starter
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:32 PM

Updated:

Changes:

Increased benfotiamine to 400mg/day
Increased carnosine to 1500mg/day
Added R+SR @ 2 caps/day
Removed K-RALA
Changed Mito-Gold to R-Plus
Swapped Di-Arginine-Malate for L-Arginine 2x/day
Removed L-Ornithine
Changed IP6/Inositol/Glucuronolactone combo to 2x/day
Increased Methylcobalamin to 2mg
Decreased fish oil to 4g/day
Swapped LEF to Jarrow fish oil (total 1240mg EPA/ 464mg DHA)
Added flax seed
Removed Purity Super Reds

I'm also going to try changing my diet on non-workout days to 2 meals/day.

#34 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:05 PM

You added Jarrow EPActive. Is this based on MR's anti-DHA stance.

Didn't know that this product existed. Man! Jarrow have some great products. There Rhodiola is 5% Rosavins

#35 Shepard

• Topic Starter
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:56 PM

Yeah, I've gone down Jarrow's entire line-up at iHerb, and have been pretty surprised/impressed by what they offer.

I swapped my EPA:DHA ratio mostly out of curiosity. I'm still undecided regarding either the pro-EPA (mood/cognition) or anti-DHA (MR) arguments. So, I figured I'd give it a shot for a little while.

Edit: Spelling Error

Edited by shepard, 09 July 2006 - 08:10 PM.

#36 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 07:12 PM

IMHO Jarrow have one of the best, if not THE best, range of supplements on the market at the moment. I don't work for Jarrow but I sure wish that I did. The throw backs would be awesome :)

#37 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:22 PM

i concur... love jarrow. great quality and even better prices... they are one of the 1st brands i look to when trying to add a supplement.

#38 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:55 PM

Argh!
Your body grow the DAY AFTER you workout...

#39 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:18 PM

Updated:
Increased benfotiamine to 400mg/day

With 100mg of benfotiamine, checked after 24 hours, the red blood cell concentration of thiamin was almost twice that of normal: PMID: 10952481. This made me conservative with my supplementation, of 1 150 benfotiamine a day.

Seeing how you updated yours, I was wondering what made you go for a higher dose. After seeing how everyone else was popping them, I am considering taking one in the morning, and one at night for a more stable 24 hour levels. Maybe 2 80mgs or just do 2 of the 150s.

#40 Shepard

• Topic Starter
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 11:12 PM

Argh!
Your body grow the DAY AFTER you workout...

Sure, but I don't plan on changing my caloric intake. I'd pretty much do this anyway if I didn't want/need a pre-workout meal.

#41 Shepard

• Topic Starter
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 11:28 PM

Seeing how you updated yours, I was wondering what made you go for a higher dose.

The only real reason I increased mine was because of some diet changes that I've been playing with that might call for more anti-glycation supplements than I would normally use. I don't plan on staying at this higher dose once I change my diet back around.

Edit: Deleted pointless info.

Edited by shepard, 10 July 2006 - 11:44 PM.

#42 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:09 AM

Cool. Thanks.

I think I will do two 80mgs instead of one 150.

#43 jmmathieu

• 30 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:38 PM

Just wondering, have any of you guys kept bloodwork, work-out journals, or anything that tracked the potential benefits any of these supplements have had on you? Also, did you begin taking them all at once or did you slowly add each one to your diet? My personal experience with supplements doesn't go much further than creatine, protein powder, and multivitamins (though I don't even take these anymore). On the other hand I've weight trained and been involved in sports almost all of my life. My take has always been to eat a healthy diet. I would not be opposed to taking something that did have a noticeable effect, but so far that has only happened with creatine. I have a biology degree so I'm not uneducated in these matters, just interested in any solid info on the subject. It seems like for every positive paper I read on some compound there is another refuting it. Look at the aspartame debate for instance.

#44 Shepard

• Topic Starter
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:28 PM

I have had bloodwork done, but I started after I began some supplementation. And, for other reasons, I'm not a good candidate to gauge the effectiveness of any particular item at the moment. Depending on what it is, I usually add them fairly slowly.

Pete from RI (sorry, I'm not sure about his screen name on here) posted some nice bloodwork in both the forums and his blog that showed some improvement from supplementation. I think dukenukem might also have posted some info regarding his improvement from supplementation.

#45 olaf.larsson

• 583 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:46 PM

Could you please inform me what you mean with this?

Vitamin C…………….1 gram (TR AA)

Do you have a job or do you spend all day sorting pills and cans with powder?
I also wonder if you possibly consume other products which are not included in your list?

#46 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:50 PM

Pete from RI (sorry, I'm not sure about his screen name on here) posted some nice bloodwork in both the forums and his blog that showed some improvement from supplementation.

Here is that thread: http://www.imminst.o...455&hl=proof&s=

#47 Shepard

• Topic Starter
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:24 PM

Vitamin C…………….1 gram (TR AA)

I also wonder if you possibly consume other products which are not included in your list?

TR AA = time release ascorbic acid

Yes, I have several jobs...along with various other things that occupy my time. The amount of time it takes me to take pills is very small, probably under 10 minutes/day (this is including measuring, grinding, etc.). It doesn't take much effort.

I pretty much put everything down, except I might have left out probiotic supplementation. I use Theralac.

#48 jmmathieu

• 30 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:22 PM

Pete from RI (sorry, I'm not sure about his screen name on here) posted some nice bloodwork in both the forums and his blog that showed some improvement from supplementation.

Here is that thread: http://www.imminst.o...455&hl=proof&s=

Well I saw the bloodwork, but didn't have anything to compare it to, so it's hard to infer any improvement. My own numbers are always optimal as well, but I don't supplement, just exercise a few times a week and try to eat healthy. I guess it's hard to get any solid info when a person is supplementing with dozens of different compounds. Just out of curiousity, do most of you start on complete regimens, or do you add things one at a time?

#49 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:32 PM

This is not a constructive contribution to the discussion.

#50 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:57 AM

^ It was unethical but maybe he was trying to relate to this condition as I also felt that with the number of supplements comes a very taxing a responsibility to follow.

Anyone: Since time of intake is observed in shepard's regimen, I would like to know, should I follow this schedule, when and where to include:

1. beta-glucans (duke gets his from oats I believe but the retailer advices to take this on an empty stomach),
2. chlorella (with meals?), and
3. beta-lapacone (herbal taheebo tea,pau d'arco)

Thank you for the input.

and Shepard: Why not prefer Silybin to Silymarin?

#51 Shepard

• Topic Starter
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:49 PM

Other constituents of silymarin (other then silybin) have been shown to have some benefit, and I don't see any reason to single out silybin in my current condition.

#52 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 07:40 PM

Shepard: what brand of silymarin do you use?

1 hour before breakfast:
IP6.............................500mg [...]
Vitamin C.....................1 gram (time release ascorbic acid)

I know these two substances have opposing effects in cancer treatment, although I'm not sure how relevant the effect is for healthy individuals.

30 minutes before breakfast:
EGCG Max.............1 cap

Maybe you should add this to your one-hour-before-breakfast stack, no?

DIM………………………50mg

Any thoughts on the AOR article stating that indole-3-carbinol is definitely better?

Vitamin C.....................1 gram (time release ascorbic acid)

Personally, I would use immediate-release capsules or powder during the day, and time-release before bed. But your vitamin C intake (8 grams I figure) looks good.

#53 Shepard

• Topic Starter
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:55 AM

1.Shepard: what brand of silymarin do you use?
2.I know these two substances have opposing effects in cancer treatment, although I'm not sure how relevant the effect is for healthy individuals.
3. Maybe you should add this to your one-hour-before-breakfast stack, no?
4. Any thoughts on the AOR article stating that indole-3-carbinol is definitely better?
5. Personally, I would use immediate-release capsules or powder during the day, and time-release before bed. But your vitamin C intake (8 grams I figure) looks good.

1. I use Jarrow's 80% silymarin.
2. I don't think this is really that important for the times I'm taking them.
3. I don't particularly see any reason to, other than maybe the nutrient absorption issue (but I feel comfortable at 30 minutes prior). Any other reasons?
4. My choosing DIM over I3C was based on some blood work from some people I know showing DIM more effective WRT estrogen metabolism. It's been a while since I read the AOR article, and I've seen conflicting information with both. I've got the article, I'll check it out again when I get some time.
5. Any particular reason other than the proposed saturation benefits? I usually get around 10g/day total from amounts in other supplements.

#54 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:56 PM

1.Shepard: what brand of silymarin do you use?
2.I know these two substances have opposing effects in cancer treatment, although I'm not sure how relevant the effect is for healthy individuals.
3. Maybe you should add this to your one-hour-before-breakfast stack, no?
4. Any thoughts on the AOR article stating that indole-3-carbinol is definitely better?
5. Personally, I would use immediate-release capsules or powder during the day, and time-release before bed. But your vitamin C intake (8 grams I figure) looks good.

1. I use Jarrow's 80% silymarin.
2. I don't think this is really that important for the times I'm taking them.
3. I don't particularly see any reason to, other than maybe the nutrient absorption issue (but I feel comfortable at 30 minutes prior). Any other reasons?
4. My choosing DIM over I3C was based on some blood work from some people I know showing DIM more effective WRT estrogen metabolism. It's been a while since I read the AOR article, and I've seen conflicting information with both. I've got the article, I'll check it out again when I get some time.
5. Any particular reason other than the proposed saturation benefits? I usually get around 10g/day total from amounts in other supplements.

3. The nutrient absorption issue was precisely what I was referring to, but I agree that it doesn't matter too terribly much.
5. My rationale is that time-release tablets are more expensive than powders and because they are coated to slow absorption may not be completely effective at giving the body a supply of ascorbate.

#55 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 12:25 AM

I use Jarrow's 80% silymarin.

What do you think of http://www.iherb.com...s&pid=NWY-06958 ?

#56 Shepard

• Topic Starter
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:12 PM

It looks fine. I wouldn't get it specifically for the unique features it claims, however.

#57 blurplie

• 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:23 AM

Hi I am 30 and am planning to get on the CRON diet however I would like further information on what cosmetics are good for the body. I would prefer the names of brands that can be bought off the shelf.

I would like Details of Cosmetics for the hair/face and body as detailed below........

Shampoo for the hair
Toothpaste
sunscreen
face wash/scrubs
body wash/soap
face creams
body creams
Any other relevant cosmetics for the human body

further i would like to ask where would I get the information for the same.

#58 blurplie

• 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:23 PM

As a continuation to the earlier post I would like to ask if you need any of the following below and if yes which ones.

Shampoo for the hair
Toothpaste
sunscreen
face wash/scrubs
body wash/soap
face creams
body creams
Any other relevant cosmetics for the human body

#59 Shepard

• Topic Starter
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 06:37 PM

I do use several variations of each except for body cream and sun screen.

Search back and you should find a thread on items particularly beneficial for pretty much each of these.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#60 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:17 PM

The Environmental Working Group maintains a database of personal care products where you can rank them according to safety/toxicity. I used their site for research and to ultimately replace all of my grooming products with safer alternatives -- its a great resource.

http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users