• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Advice that masks don't help for coronavirus woefully wrong?

masks coronavirus

• Please log in to reply
489 replies to this topic

#481 Florin

• 650 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:24 PM

Social distancing isn't a magic bullet either. Aerosols accumulate indoors regardless of distance. People won't social distance with everyone. 6 feet isn't ideal, especially for the more contagious variants.

The best solution is reusable respirators. No social distancing required.

• Agree x 1

#482 Dorian Grey

• 1,532 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 09:18 PM

Social distancing isn't a magic bullet either. Aerosols accumulate indoors regardless of distance. People won't social distance with everyone. 6 feet isn't ideal, especially for the more contagious variants.

The best solution is reusable respirators. No social distancing required.

Agree, no magic bullets if you're going to go outside your home & interact with others.

"The best solution is reusable respirators. No social distancing required."  I trust you mean respirator with eye goggles.  Any exposed mucus membrane can result in infection.  

Still, I'd prefer to inhale a small concentration of ambient indoor aerosol, which is more likely to result in asymptomatic or mild infection & natural immunity, than get a lung full of highly concentrated aerosol at close quarters.  The size of initial inoculum largely determining severity of disease.  

Masks have given everyone a false sense of security, and social distancing has largely been abandoned.  I'm shocked at what I see while out & about.  

• Agree x 1

#483 seivtcho

• 2,078 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:45 AM

Masks have given everyone a false sense of security, ...

Masks work in my case.

From the start of the pandemics up to now I haven't been infected, and all of my tests that far have been negative.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • like x 1

#484 Florin

• 650 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:31 PM

"The best solution is reusable respirators. No social distancing required."  I trust you mean respirator with eye goggles.  Any exposed mucus membrane can result in infection. 

Yes, but I'd prefer wraparound safety glasses as goggles are probably overkill (eyes don't "inhale," so they're not going to suck up aerosols). I usually don't mention eye protection (or more obvious stuff like hand washing) because reusable respirators are far more important.

Still, I'd prefer to inhale a small concentration of ambient indoor aerosol, which is more likely to result in asymptomatic or mild infection & natural immunity, than get a lung full of highly concentrated aerosol at close quarters.  The size of initial inoculum largely determining severity of disease.  

Masks have given everyone a false sense of security, and social distancing has largely been abandoned.  I'm shocked at what I see while out & about.

If you want some but not a huge amount of exposure, wearing a mask is probably the safest way to do that.

Edited by Florin, 24 February 2021 - 10:42 PM.

• Good Point x 1

#485 Mind

• Life Member, Moderator, Secretary
  • 17,157 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 04:07 PM

Just like the masks have proven to be ineffective at stopping the spread of the most recent pandemic (as was well-known before 2020), disinfecting everything everywhere is just about useless as well: https://www.popsci.c...es-spread-clean

I am glad to see many more mainstream publications acknowledging the futility and "religiosity" of NPIs (masks, social distancing, plexiglass barriers, disinfecting). The world cannot be turned into a level 5 clean room. This much should be obvious.

The only thing that has worked to some degree is extreme lockdowns, especially for island nations that can more easily close and monitor their borders.

Edited by Mind, 25 February 2021 - 04:21 PM.

• Agree x 4
  • Ill informed x 2
  • Disagree x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#486 Dorian Grey

• 1,532 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:28 PM

Yes, but I'd prefer wraparound safety glasses as goggles are probably overkill (eyes don't "inhale," so they're not going to suck up aerosols). I usually don't mention eye protection (or more obvious stuff like hand washing) because reusable respirators are far more important.

If you want some but not a huge amount of exposure, wearing a mask is probably the safest way to do that.

Except that masks don't work during close encounters: 

https://www.yahoo.co...-144533471.html

You can spread COVID-19 by talking in hair salons or during a massage - even while wearing a mask, research suggests

The false sense of security you get from your magic shields can kill! 

Simply stand back, & stay safe.

#487 Florin

• 650 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:29 PM

Except that masks don't work during close encounters: 

https://www.yahoo.co...-144533471.html

You can spread COVID-19 by talking in hair salons or during a massage - even while wearing a mask, research suggests

The false sense of security you get from your magic shields can kill! 

Simply stand back, & stay safe.

Masks work if you want a lower dose which is what you seem to be after.

If you don't wear a mask, someone could easily sneak up on you and give you a full dose, or you could pass through a dense cloud of aerosols without realizing it.

If you don't want any exposure, wear a reusable respirator.

• like x 1

#488 Dorian Grey

• 1,532 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:15 PM

Masks work if you want a lower dose which is what you seem to be after.

If you don't wear a mask, someone could easily sneak up on you and give you a full dose, or you could pass through a dense cloud of aerosols without realizing it.

If you don't want any exposure, wear a reusable respirator.

I'd prefer not to get dosed at all, but if I do get infected I'd like the smallest inoculum possible.  

Looks like the greatest danger of large inoculum occurs in close contact, masks or not.  

Prioritize social distance for maximum safety!  

• Good Point x 2

#489 geo12the

• 291 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 04:50 AM

I'd prefer not to get dosed at all, but if I do get infected I'd like the smallest inoculum possible.  

Looks like the greatest danger of large inoculum occurs in close contact, masks or not.  

Prioritize social distance for maximum safety!  

I think one thing no one is talking about is that there is probably variability in the amount of virus spread depending on the physiology of the infected individual and the timing of their infection.  Based on reports of superspreading events (there was just one in the paper about a gym instructor infecting a bunch of people), my hypothesis is that some people may turn into COVID factories and churn out high loads of the virus. If you are near them you are out of luck. I had hoped they would speed up the production of rapid test kits that would easily identify such people but I haven't heard a peep on that front for a while. My view on masks is that they work BUT if you near a "COVID factory" person who knows.

Edited by geo12the, 26 February 2021 - 04:52 AM.

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#490 Dorian Grey

• 1,532 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 06:04 AM

I think one thing no one is talking about is that there is probably variability in the amount of virus spread depending on the physiology of the infected individual and the timing of their infection.  Based on reports of superspreading events (there was just one in the paper about a gym instructor infecting a bunch of people), my hypothesis is that some people may turn into COVID factories and churn out high loads of the virus. If you are near them you are out of luck. I had hoped they would speed up the production of rapid test kits that would easily identify such people but I haven't heard a peep on that front for a while. My view on masks is that they work BUT if you near a "COVID factory" person who knows.

Agree.  Masks, good!  Distance, good!  Masks + distance: PRICELESS!  

• Good Point x 2
  • Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: masks, coronavirus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users